New York University

« See more reviews of New York University

Money. The bargain you make as a lower middle-class student attending NYU is that you will sacrifice financial security for huge opportunity. The economic instability for students living below the "middle-class" line is compounded by the fact that we attend school with some of the richest kids on the planet. I have friends who could buy my childhood home over and over without batting an eye. Money makes the world go round, and NYC is unrelenting to those who don't have it. The cost of living here can be painful and often embarrasing.

The worst thing about my school is that there is no college campus. This can be looked as both a good and bad thing. On the downside, you won't see pep rallies , and the college life is nothing like it is in the movies. Fraternity row and team colors are not as represented at NYU. Many look at Washington Square Park as our campus because it is located in the center of all the buildings for the University. The positive aspect is instead of having a regular campus, you can look at the entire city as your campus.

It is absolutely overpriced and their payment plans aren't reallyiinstallment plans at all. They require you to deposit 50% of the outstanding balance within a few days of registering. The remainder is cut into two payments, which are due the following months. They don't offer more options for those who are struggling to complete their degree. I find it to be overpriced for what is offered, the name doesn't hold the weight it once used to. It just costs too much and their tuition just keeps skyrocketing.

The worst thing about New York University is the lack of camaraderie. There is no campus at NYU and thus no central place for students to meet and spend their time. Students live all over Manhattan. There is a real disjointedness within the community. No one attends sporting events or other school-wide activities. Part of the reason many students come to NYU is for the independence, but going to a school that doesn?t have a community is hard when you?re trying to meet people or feel like part of something.

The tuition. It's a shame that a school that prides itself on it's diversiity and open-mindedness can only really be attended by a small amount of people that can realistically pay for it. I love my education there, and the classes and professors are engaging and thought provoking, however the economic strain is the cause for incredible stress on me and my family. Istead of studying, I tend to be looking for scholarships or finding ways to get money just so I can secure another year at this school.

The people were not that friendly and I think it had to do with the inflated ego NYU and simply living in New York elicits. However, I will give them the benefit of the doubt. New York is cuthroat city and the world itself is dog-eat-dog. Who am I to anticipate kind folk in an environment known for careening taxis and lying brokers? It was simply the kind of attitude one had to expect. Yet, as anyone knows, living in New York City does not absolve all of your worries, you still need to be human.

The tuition to attend New York University is enormous. If a student attends without any financial aid or scholarships, he or she can find themselves paying around $43,000 in tuition costs. If a student wants to room in one of the on-campus dorms, he or she might have to pay an additional $18,000. The cost of attending my school adds an immense amount of pressure for students to achieve high GPAs and succeed in all their classes so that their education could be worth the money.

While it can be considered a positive characteristic, I believe the most difficult thing about NYU is how dislocated it is. Because NYU has no campus and has a huge student population, it can be difficult to feel student unity. Because dorms are located all over the city, it can also be difficult to meet up with friends who live in a different dorm. This applies when meeting new people as well. It is very easy to meet new people, however it can be difficult to keep in touch.

The worst thing about NYU is the cost to attend. Unfortunelty the amazing location makes everything extremly expensive. The students are then passed the bill. Scholarships are highly competitive and few. If you really try and want to make it work it can happen. But you must be prepared to fight for it becasue the free money will not pour out on you. Financial aid is difficult and must be considered because a private school has a larger bill than a public one will.

The development of the clinical psychology program came very late. As an alumni hearing about its development now I'm a little bit bitter since I knew that we had most of the resources to make it happen at the time. I'm hoping to audit a few courses there. However I think I will have my hands full with my masters program. It was very expensive and hard on my family, but we made it work. I always feel guilty for how hard they had to work for my education.