North Carolina Central University

« See more reviews of North Carolina Central University

It is important that you take your eduaction seriously at all times. Being invloved in extra curricular activities will help you when being selected to a college program. It is also important to be involved in community service projects and show that you are a committed citizen of your community. Try to do things that involve various positive aspects and help make you stand out the crowd and become well rounded. Become involved in sports, arts, clubs, ect. Take challenging high school courses and test to help make you a strong canidate for college. Research career opportunities, descriptions, salaries, and their demand to help make your decision on what major to seek. If you can, start familarizing yourself in that career path by doing interships and/or jobs in that field, allowing you to get hands on experience and education. This will also help you decide early if you like your career path or need to reevalute your decision. It is also important to build a good reputation amongst your peers, teachers, and community as a serious, reliable, professional, charismatic, and educated individual. Sometimes the people you know helps you more than the acutal knowledge you posses.

I think that the number one secret in finding "the right college", is one that meets the academic, social, and career goals of a student. You can check out all of the college brochures, college Web sites, and college-planning resources you wish, but choosing the right college boils down to a few things: primarily personality and goals. In today's world, academic reputation has become important to families. But just because a college has a good academic reputation doesn't mean it's the right one for you. There are thousands of colleges that provide students with a quality education even if they don't make national ranking lists. Before selecting a school you should be able to answer the following questions without hesitation: 1. Is this a good place to start 2. Location (safe/poorly secured) 3. What job-placement services does the college provide? 4. Is financial aid availiable if needed 5. Are there social and extracurricular activities that appeal to your interests? Also before applying to a college, visit the campus. It's the only way to get a true picture of the atmosphere and to answer some of your questions.

Some Advice that I would give parents and students about finding the right college and making the most of their college experience is, to the parents you should have an active role in the college your child choses. Sometimes as future stundents we choose schools based on the wrong things such as parties, sports and extra curricular activites. All these ideas are wonderful, but should not be your main choice in deciding a college to attend. Students should focus more on the retention rate, graduation rate, acrediablity, and last but not least the student teacher ratio. Students when you first walk on that campus get to know your fellow classmates and school mates. Making friends before you start a particular college will allow you to make the most of your college experience. And lastly Get INVOLVED!!! Weither it be with the Student Government or a social club, this will allow your resume to expand and open up new doors for you. Always remember time management is an essential key to making sure you actually get to stay in school. So learning how to balance your time now will work out for you in the end.

My advise to you students looking to make the best out of college would be first and formeost to stay focused. Remember that you are paying, or should I say your loving parents are paying, thousands of dollars not for you to have a life of partying but for you to receive a firm education. From experience, I know how easy it is to fall into the college partying scene, especially when all your "friends" are pressuring you to go downtown instead of staying in and studying for that exam you have at 8AM the next morning! Since your family won't be around you as much, your friends will play a major role in your college life. Therefore, make sure you surround yourself with the right group of people. You want to find friends who support you and your decisions. Finding trustworthy and supportive friends are imperative. Remember what they say, "you are who your friends are." Joining clubs and recreational sports are a great way of meeting new people at your school, so make sure to check those out. As for choosing the right school, make sure your priorities are right; Don't just follow your friends!

Over the past semester, I not only learned about college life but more about myself. Earning a 4.0 GPA wasn't the only accomplishment last semester. The work, determination, and perseverance was more important. By creating work ethic throughout the academic year, I could overcome any workload on any given day. Setting a routine and finding the potential deep in your character is the first step to a formidable foundation for the next four years of college. Therefore, I would advise myself as a high school senior to keep my mind open. Listen to teachers and your parents. They have been there before and know the importance of a good education. Starting with the basic fundamentals will only help you prosper through undergrad and graduate school. Be a hard worker. Never give up. Know your potential is seeking out for you to reach it. Finally, stay true to yourself. There will be tough stretches in studies where nothing seems to go right. By maintaining focus and taking one bite at a time, any task can be completed. The values we learn now are the ones we will use for the rest of our lives.

Throughout my college experience that I have gained so far, I have learned many valuable things. At North Carolina Central University, I have learned to distinguish between friends, associates, and true friends. Everyone will go through this process and realize who to trust; but, its all about respect. Respect goes a long way in life. I have made many friends and associates by giving respect to my peers and teachers by therefore gaining a wonderful network to succeed. I've learned to have school pride, to be independent, and to strive for excellence! Although I have gone through a rough patch in my life because my mother went to jail & my father became a drunk, I will admit that my grades suffered a lot. I went into depression for awhile, but I want to take this experience and use it to my advantage to build me up instead of tearing me down. I am striving to maintain a 3.0 or higher throughout my college life to become better than my parents, to be independent, and to break the mode for my childern to come. I love NCCU and there is no other college that I can see myself loving.

I would ask myself three quesions: Are your study habits right for college? Are you ready to deal with life decisions by yourself? Are you financially stable for each semester of school? After asking myself these three questions, I would advise myself to build study habits because college is all about studying. Choosing not to study is basically choosing not to be in college. I have been at North Carolina Central University since August 2012 and I have been faced with so many challenges. Challenges that made me realize that I had to make decisions that could affect my future. Being in college, I saw so many things that I never thought I would see or hear. Drugs, alcohol, and conversations that made me uncomfortable. I learned that I had to choose friends and associates wisely. College is very expensive and because I have no parents, I have to find ways to pay for college alone. I would sit down and go over all of these questions with myself to make sure that my answers to each of these questions were positive responses and to make sure I can handle everything on my own.

If I were to go back to my senior year knowing what I know now, I would advise Jaime to take each day seriously. I would tell Jaime to study not just for the test today but learn from them. Jaime would also need to listen with intent when the teachers advise her to keep track of all her jobs, volunteer activities, clubs and other school activities for this information will be useful in the future. Jaime would need to know that time management is very important and becomes even more important in the future when she does not have her mother to wake her up, tell her to study or remind her to do her homework. I would tell her about the importance of independent study as well as group study because she will need both methods in order to succeed. Jaime would need to know friends are good to have but education is more important. Jaime will need to know that education will bring her a host of friends as she moves through life. And lastly, the morals and values her family instilled in her and the prayers of her family are to be valued throughout her life.

I just wish that girls would love their body more than they love anything else. According to a Stanford sociologist who surveyed a whopping 17,000 college students since 2005 found that a hefty 24% of seniors said they were virgins. (http://www.newser.com) This statistic that I have found opened my eyes up a lot. While I was reading this article, I learned that many older generations think that the numbers for a person is low. Although this is not a high number this is still a great number to be thankful for the teens who respect their body. If college is supposed to be like we think it is, my advice to all seniors in high school is to practice abstinence or safe sex and stay true to yourself! Teenagers begin to get involved with the wrong people at the wrong time and the do not realize their consequences to their actions until the end. I believe that as young adults we should practice abstinence. We should show the world that we are not going to be a part of the sexually active teenagers. Sex is something that as young adults we are not ready for.

I didn't think that I would have the 'college experience.' My family is still struggling financially and didn't have the opportunity to send me away to college. I was really uspet about attending community college. It seemed so unfair to me; I felt like I was being held back from going out and doing something with my life. As college progressed, I started to meet people that were exactly like me. My teachers have been supportive of me and want me to succeed. I realized that I was in a good place. I have community college to thank for helping me get my foot in the door for my future. Since I started my Grahpic Design class, I got the idea to start my own bags/totes business. I've already started selling my work. I can go to school and work towards my future goals at home. Had I gone off to school this year, I don't think I would have ever thought about starting my own business, and I would have never met my new friends. Next year, I'll be ready to take on college and begin part 2 on my college experience!