North Carolina Central University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for North Carolina Central University

Maya

NCCU is a very welcoming school and makes you want to be in everything. The people on campus are fun to be around you just got to find the right people to hang out with. These people really want to help you just have to take advantage of the opportunity.

Jayla

NCCU is a great HBCU, especially for the price. Ultimately, your experience is what you make of it but NCCU offers a lot of opportunities to get involved on campus through SGA, SAB and a multitude of different organizations. One of the biggest complaints lately, though is the lack of listening to the needs of the students.

Jelisa

I love my HBCU. It's very enthusiastic and everyone is very friendly. It has family vibe and I wouldn't trade it for anything. There are several ways to get involved and everyone is encouraged to do so. You never feel out of place and you'll always be greeted with a smiling face.

Maya

North Carolina Central is a family. Everyone knows everyone. There is a feeling of love and compassion flowing throughout the entire campus and I am extremely grateful that I am able to attend a school where I feel just about everyone is family. Coming from Connecticut, I was used to passing strangers on the street without saying a single word. Here at NCCU, you are constantly being greeted by a friendly stranger. When I decided to up and leave all the family in Connecticut I thought I might have a difficult time adjusting without them. Thankfully the southern hospitality and the overall friendliness of the others on campus made sure that I felt right at home. There were times when I would be in a local grocery store when I happen to see a fellow Eagle. There have even been times when I would see another Eagle while driving. A simple "Eagle Pride!" with my wrist crossed while my fingers are pointed upward, would bring a big smile to their face whether they be a student, alumni, or a teacher. I truly and honestly love North Carolina Central University and I cannot see myself attending another University, it's amazing.

Marcus

I love the atmosphere, the people, teachers, and overall foundation of NCCU. Going to an historically black college/university is an experience I will never forget. College is a huge responsibility and privilege but NCCU makes that an easier ride. Ever since my first day, I told myself I would graduate from this school. It has provided me with life skills that I can never give back.

kalayah

In my opinion, North Carolina Central University is a mediocre university. My first few days here, I have already encountered serval problems. Every time I go to fix my problems I am almost always referred to someone else or another office. Also, the roommate selection process is horrid. My roommate and I are not exactly compatible and because of my current financial crisis, I cannot actually do anything about her. There are many other problems I have faced in the few days here however, I will not rant on.

Nia

It is a challenging school but I think any university can be. It's there to improve and grow in the skills and methods we learned in the past. Though NCCU is changing we still love it because it is helping us to become proper adults and soaring high.

Telisia

My overall opinion is some things like dorms need to be updated like the rest of the newer ones. Also, better food can be added to the menu for breakfast time and dinner. Gym needs to open and fix our swimming pool so we can have a swim team. The professors are nice and helpful, the advisers really want to see you succeed.

It isn't a bad university, but it isn't top tier either. If you're looking for a small school with small class sizes, this is for you. They have a lot to offer STEM majors.

Ayanna

North Carolina Central University is a family oriented campus where everyone is always welcomed. There may be some problems within the residence halls, but overall we have a good time. My classes are a good size and my teachers are available majority of the time. I am the assistant Vice President of an organization and it is my freshman year. North Carolina Central makes sure that everyone knows they can join and be anything on campus if they just put their mind to it.

Daylen

North

Hanan

As a freshman here at NCCU, I would like to say that the experience on campus is like that of no other. NCCU is a big family where professors, faculty and staff are all working together to help you succeed. The amount of support and love is overwhelming and I would recommend anybody interested in being part of a family of successful elites, to come and join NCCU. We abide by our motto and are proud of our history. Eagle Pride, Amplified!

Shanita

I feel they could make some improvements on the food choices served in the cafeteria and maybe upgrade some the dormitories on campus. Buildings and faculty need no improvements where I attend classes. Also they should have some more social events for students during the fall like a carnival or a halloween party in the cafeteria or gym.

JoCora

The sense of family is very strong. There is also something to do whether on campus or in downtown Durham. Not far from Raleigh or Chapel Hill either. Great school.

Brittani

I have been accepted to North Carolina Central University, University of North Carolina Greensboro, Winston Salem State University, University of North Carolina Charlotte, and North Carolina A&T University. I chose North Carolina Central University due to the environment, it has such a family feel to the campus. everyone there seems like a big family. The amount of financial aid, they were one of the schools that provided me with the most financial aid. The fact that its an HBCU, I always knew I wanted to be at an HBCU and now that it is happening I am so excited.

N'Dia

North Carolina is a very great school, it it one of the best HBCU's. NCCU has a lot to offer to students in the classroom along with outside of the classroom. North Carolina Central University I feel will make sure that you receive the best education possible along side with helping you get a job in your field. North Carolina Central University also have an outstanding audience for sports and events going on, their student body is not only very strong but their students are very loyal to their HBCU!

Kamryn

North Carolina Central University was one of the two schools I applied to and the only HBCU I applied to. I fell in love with the school when I came for my orientation during the summer. I see myself here for the next 4 years and possibly even for graduate school. I wouldn't transfer or go anywhere else. North Carolina Central University is my home away from home.

Raven

No matter what school I was accepted into, my heart always resided at dear ole NCC. Every time I grace the campus I feel at home and very welcomed. North Carolina Central University gave me the experience of a lifetime that I will never forget. Eagle Pride, Amplified!

Ashanti

I love North Carolina Central University. This school is a welcoming and family oriented environment. Academics are a big part of this university because we are all here to learn and earn our degree. Social life is amazing and so are sports. You will never be bored attending NCCU.

Carly

This place has a beautiful campus, and a few passionate students and professors. Everything else, however, is a mess. The party culture overtakes everything else and it’s all that people worry on. The student culture is just obsessed with partying, drugs, drinking, and relationships. This is just like high school all over again, with the same drama and fights. Some students are way behind where they should be by the time they are in college and the professors make classes easy because of that. Food isn’t bad, but some days it’d be best to eat at the on campus restaurants. It feels like we are in the middle of nowhere, and it’s unsafe to go out at night. I feel like going to this school was a mistake and I can’t wait to transfer somewhere better next year. Avoid this school, especially if you’re not from North Carolina/from a city like I am.

Jaqawn

My overall opinion is that the food could be better, more extracurricular activities is suggested and a better gym like UNCG. Also, I think that there should be more food stores that takes card swipes for flex dollars. I would like to not move my car for a school game if I paid to park there.

McKayla

Overall, I feel like it is a good school. You have regular drama that I feel you would have at any university. However it sometimes feels like it is a large high school with more freedom. My advice is do not come here and get buck wild because your parents are not here. At the end of the day, you are not grown and still report to them plain and simple.

Kinaya

I think North Carolina Central University is a fairly god school to attend. Although they have flaws with their dormitories and cafeteria foods, they have many activities and academic opportunities that will benefit you in the future. T hey also have professors that will make sure you meet the needs to graduate and become successful.

Angelica

NCCU is filled with eagle pride and student organizations. Fried chicken Wednesday is to die for and there are academic and social support services. College life is what you make it and can be made great at North Carolina Central University! Eagle Pride Amplified!

Diondra

I think that North Carolina Central University is diverse when it comes to the different types of programs that are offered during and after school. Central is like a second home to me and I have made lots of new and interesting friends, and would love to continue my college journey with.

Alliyah

On March 22, 2019 my AVID 9 class from Lejeune High School visited NCCU. When we arrived we were impressed by what we saw from the outside. We walked into the Dining hall and I appreciated how organized the payment systems were and how the food was set up. There was plenty of seating and it was a sanitary environment for us to eat. Our tour guides were quite enjoyable to listen to and they made sure they left nothing out. They actively involved us throughout the tour and talked about the programs involved in the school. I enjoyed my time at NCCU!

Shekinah

I really enjoy this illustrious institution. Being a young black woman, I felt that this university was the perfect fit for me. The professors are incredible and our advisors are really hands on when it comes to helping us out. This school is incredibly diverse and there is something for everyone here whether it's greek life, sports, or clubs, Central has it all.

Brandon

North Carolina Central University is a good school but it also has room for improvement. Everyone here is interacted into something around campus. Being an HBCU it is great to see some more diversity each year in the school. The students we do a good job of trying to improve the campus but it takes time for us to improve but it will happen.

Dynasia

When I first toured North Carolina Central University I fell in love with how the campus looked. There was green grass and the sloping hills made the campus look even more beautiful. All of the professors are good and are extremely helpful. The campus is full of love, pride, and culture. I am loving it.

Damiya

North Carolina Central University is a great school. It is one of the best universities that you can attend. North Carolina Central University offers many resources and anything you may need to succeed personally, academically, and professionally. I love this school and would recommend that everyone who loves expanding their knowledge and wants to attend a historically black college or university should consider attending.

Chenita

NCCU needs a major overhaul of professors and staff. The staff is very rude to students and they lack knowledge of anything. Communication between staff, professors and students is awful. They often time give the wrong information to students or they are just not helpful at all. The professors can be very abrasive and verbally abusive towards students. The only good thing about NCCU is the low cost of tuition.

Janae

North Carolina Central University is an illustrious institute that builds character.

Bethany

NCCU is your home away from home. Being here makes me feel like I am home, for I always have someone to go to when I need them. And when someone needs me I am always there. Here at NCCU academics come first then we get lit. We believe in education first and to celebrate it later with parties.

Thymeshia

When it comes to central it’s really not a bad school. I enjoy being here on campus. They have plenty activities on campus. Different organizations to Join doesn’t matter what you are into that have something for it. The only thing that I don’t like it that we have to race just get housing for the next year.

Suzanne

Overall, a good school. Administration sometimes needs a fire lit under their butt to get stuff done. You get out of it what you put into it. Most of the students are kind and inclusive. There is usually something going on on campus, so you're never bored. Schoolwork is tough but classes are relatively small, so you don't get lost.

Precious

North Carolina Central University is very diverse and wherever you turn you are bound to run into a very cultural experience. In my opinion, it is one of the best HBCU you could ever attend. The food, the students, the teachers, the nightlife, overall it is very welcoming to all. I recommend the visit or better yet I recommend that you should apply.

Sharnea

In my personal opinion, when I first was deciding upon schools what was most important to me was a close niche family feel. Education is important but its who you know not what you and most importantly the experience. It is a very social campus but at times reminds me of high school still with the lack of conversation variety. The professors (most i've encountered) are truly welcoming and want the best for you. Activities and things to do, ALWAYS on campus, cant find anything you must go out more, after all there is UNO battles in residential halls. It has its ups and downs but it is and always will be what you make it.

Kennedi

North Carolina Central University is a great school, I'm not saying this because I go here. The atmosphere is amazing and every time you walk past someone they greet you like they have known you for years. The staff really cares about there students and the grades that their students get. The housing is as best as it can get since this is college, there are ups and downs but you will get past it. Greek life and student activity board are a big part of everyday life on campus The food is great at the time but also bad at times but its college, not a home-cooked meal. In the end I'm proud to say that I'm Eagle woot woot eagle pride!!!!!!!

Kyla

North Carolina Central University is a small but amazing university. First visiting this campus I noticed that everyone was so friendly and had a very good energy about them. As a current student I found that the same energy I felt as a visitor remained the same as a current student. I love the energy of the football games, and other sporting events. There is always something going on that can interest all the students not just a specific group.

Anita

North Carolina Central University is all about academic success and extracurricular activities. Campus is always busy meaning there is always something going on and we have a lot of fun. The main thing i enjoy about my college is we are always having intellectual conversations wherever you go on campus, students are very involved in politics and the artistic factors of the college. Our professors are amazing, they are always willing to help and have office hours. I enjoy my HBCU and the eagle pride is always shining.

Trinity

My experience at North Carolina Central University has been an uphill battle. The campus is built on a bunch of hills which makes getting around the relatively small campus slightly difficult. The majority of the students here smoke weed regularly and come to class with the smell radiating through the room. A lot of professors do not challenge the students academically because students tend to complain about the work. However, the science, math, law, and nursing departments are particularly very good for those who attend in terms of professors, classes, and resources. As a student here, I am transferring out of NCCU for the fall 2020 semester and so on.

Camerin

It’s a very enthusiastic school. The culture at Central is wonderful. The students are very active and knows how to keep the campus going. Professors are willing to help their students if needed and they are quick to email you back. There’s never a dull moment.

Terrence

NCCU is a great school for people to find themselves and figure out they are. The school size is terrific, the sports atmosphere is outstanding and location of the school is near fun sites in Durham, NC. I am a transfer student and this will be my first year there, but growing up I had been on campus on numerous occasions as well the city of Durham very often.

Jahmelah

I believe NCCU has a great learning environment and I recommend the school to anyone. NCCU also has a great family vibe. What I mean by this is that the students and staff support each other. They all seem to make sure that one another is doing well and are on top of their work while also being able to enjoy and have fun.

Alexis

North Carolina Central University is a public institution that was founded in 1910. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 6,355, its setting is urban, and the campus size is 135 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. North Carolina Central University's ranking in the 2019 edition of Best Colleges is Regional Universities South, 64. Its in-state tuition and fees are $6,684 (2018-19); out-of-state tuition and fees are $19,391 (2018-19). North Carolina Central University was founded as the National Religious Training School and Chautauqua for the Colored Race. Today, the historically black university in Durham has a student body of about 80 percent African-American students. The NCCU Eagles sports teams compete in the NCAA Division I Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference. While freshmen aren't required to live on campus, those who choose to are only a few miles away from downtown Durham, as well as Duke University. As part of the University of North Carolina System, NCCU is a state school that is committed to research, operating a variety of centers and institutes, including the Juvenile Justice Institute and the Institute for Civic Engagement and Social Change. Graduate students can check out programs at the North Carolina Central School of Law, School of Business and School of Library and Information Sciences, among other academic departments. Notable alumni of North Carolina Central University include former "Vogue" editor-at-large André Leon Talley and Olympic gold medalist Larry Black.

Breanna

I love the school I feel as though it's a great institution that'll only improve my educational background I've visited the school and felt like I was at home. When it comes to the institutions you want to attend you want to be comfortable and be happy with where you are.

Lanasia

NCCU is a great school to attend to, academically. If you need someone to talk to or need help with some school work, they'll always be there to help. If you fall behind, they have a way of helping you get back on track and succeeding in your lifetime.

Christopher

North Carolina Central University is a big change and a breath of fresh air, it's a warm feeling inside when you arrive on campus. Everybody is so friendly and so outgoing ! It's one of a kind. The campus is actually pretty big , but there is transportation around to get you to and from places in a timely manner. The staff that works there helps out so much in so many different ways, they try to put you first and understand your situation. I recommend North Carolina Central University to anybody interested !

Jordan

NCCU is my dream university to go there. The illustrious North Carolina Central University is an esteemed historically black college university that roots itself in Truth & Service. The campus is beautiful, the education is excellent, and the sporting and social events are fun & exciting. Likewise, NCCU continuously works to improve on their technology & efforts to enhance the student experience. I love my HBCU! They are very understanding when it comes to life situations. They welcomed me back and allowed me to show them that I can progress in being me and making myself proud! My professors are fantastic. The football team is incredible, excellent dining services, and great activities! Overall, this school is the place to be!

Dquawn

I currently enjoy being a student of my institution. I view North Carolina Central University, as an institution of substance, power, strength and academics. However, there may be a few issues that can be resolved or further more improved, if students, faculty, and staff would come to a mutual agreement. Overall, I enjoy attending NCCU.