North Greenville University

« See more reviews of North Greenville University

Many see college as a time to go out, party, and have the time of their life. I view life differently and I am thankful that I can feel safe in my views at NGU. Not once have I been asked to compromise my beliefs; I have grown stronger in them. I have learned that some of the best professors are ones that will sit and eat lunch with you once a week, even though you may never take a class with him or her. I have learned that life does not revolve around grades like it did in highschool. Studies are still important, but there is so much life to be lived during this season. I was accepted to two other schools and had every intention of attending them over NGU, but today I would not trade where I am at for the world. I have gained so much from this school and I know that I will continue to grow in my beliefs, friendships, education, and character. Nothing could ever replace what I have gained as a result of attending NGU.

If I could go back in time and give my high school senior self some advice I would certainly have a lot to say. First I would point out that college life is not as hard and scary as it seems, it is actually really enjoyable as long as you don't get behind in any classes. Which leads me into what I would say next; don't procrastinate, procrastination is one of the things that makes college harder than it should be, start training yourself now to get things done ahead of time. Switching to the financial side of things, don't count on scholarships to always be there to cover your tuition, not every scholarship is guaranteed for the next school year; get a job and save up some money! Finally and most importantly, make good relationships with people who will challenge you to do your best and who will be there for you when you feel like you are at your worst. That's not all I would say, but two hundred words go by quickly.

First, I would highly encourage the students to work hard in high school. I also would want to encourage students to study and work hard in school ultimately to learn and not just for the grade(s). I would advise parents to also encourage such learning. I would highly encourage students who are looking for the right college for them to find out what passion they have or something that they love to do, and find a school that offers a major that will help them pursue that dream. In other words, I would encourage going to a college primarily for the academics, not for athletic or social reasons. I would encourage parents to continually love and inspire their kid(s) to find something they love to do and find a career that will pay their kid(s) to just that. Lastly, I would encourage parents and students alike to always be teachable, willing to learn, and challenged regardless of career or whether in school or not.

While I was a freshman at UNC Charlotte, I didn't really feel like I was at college. When you attened a college most of the time it is supossed to feel like a second home to you. I didn't feel this way while I at UNCC. It almost felt like a job I had to get up and go to everymorning, since I was a communter student from home. I also didn't like how big the campus was and how I just felt like another number on the campus. When I decided to transfer to North Greenville I was welcomed everytime I would come to vist by such kind people. Since I have started school here at NGU, I have been welcomed by more people in the 3 months I have been here more than I was the whole year at UNCC. I also get to learn and have a biblical influence in most of my classes which is valueable to me. So being treated like a real person and not just a number and going in my faith really have made attending NGU a valuable experience for me.

In order to choose the right college, visit the top 5 choices at least. Make sure that you feel at home before signing any agreements. If a college doesn't satisfy you physically (i.e. it's layout, the people, or the food) you may not be able to do as well as you intend academically. Have fun, but remember to keep grades first. To minimize stress it's great to hangout with friends, but don't allow conjugating to become a ritual. The right college has to be fitting to the student's personality. There is not one truly right college for all students. For example, diversity may be a big deal to me, but you may like being surrounded by your own specific culture. It may be a great idea to just have "pop-up" visits with the school so that you can see how things really run around the campus, because it's always easy to "dress-up" when expecting company. (Meaning when the college has designated visiting days. )

If I could go back in time and talk to myselfas a high school senior, I would say not to stress out so much and to enjoy my final year of high school. I was far too worried about choosing a college, thinking it would be the epitomal decision of my life, but it wasn't. I ended up at the perfect school for me, a school that I had nearly overlooked, and my months of stress were for naught. While it was important for me to be hardworking and studious as a high school senior, I should have also realized the necessecity of being flexible, instead of mistakingly believing that my entire life was hinging on a single decision. High-school-me thought that the choice of a college had only one correct answer and a million wrong ones, each leading to a separate hell. But that is not true. Life comprised of a myriad of decisions, and few turns will get you completely lost. You need to enjoy the journey.

Returning to school as an adult has been very eye opening. My first attempt at college was not taken very seriously, and I did not do a very good job with thinking things through to the future. Now, I am a wife, a mother, a small business owner, and I much more focused. I do not take my time for granted and I see the importance of learning new information. Every moment of my college career is important. I am not only going back to school for my own well being, but to better the life of my family as well. My path is set, and there are definite challenges ahead of me; my husband and I are living 200 miles apart; I am facing the need of an early hysterectomy that could throw my timeline of course, but I am trying tostay focused. Every moment is important; every class is important. I am lucky to have this opportunity again in my life, and I am glad that I have growm enough to apprecite it.

Take the time to let the student explore choices in colleges or universities they want to attend. Let the student pick where he/she feels the most comfortable. Parents should be supportive of their young adults and willing to help with advice, however do not pressure them into making the choice that you want. Weight all the options from who has the best program, the best teachers, the best location, the best bang for the buck (scholarships, loans, etc). Remember that this is where your student will spend most of his/her life during the year, you only get four months at home, the other eight is spent with friends and teachers, this helps develope their social life and to experience new things. Make them stay on campus for at least a semester to a year to allow them the feeling of what it's like to be half way on their own. Let them know that you are always a phone call away.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would advise myself to work on my planning and organization skills. Keeping up with due dates and staying organized has been such an important factor to being successful now that I am in college, but it has not been easy trying to teach myself how to plan my schedule out and keep all of my materials and books organized. Not knowing exactly what is due when and how I should go about a process, such as writing a paper, leads to procrastinaition and causes me to have late nights finishing work I could have completed at an earlier time. These skills I am working to master will help lead me to success while preventing self-inflicted stress. I think if I had learned these abilities in high school then I would have an easier time adjusting to a more independent and responsible lifestyle that I am taking on now.

I have recently enrolled in college. However I do have experience in taking online college courses. In high school I was able to attend two online college classes. They were classes in the criminal justice field. By taking these two courses I learned a lot about how the 'college program' works, it also taught me that criminal justice was no longer my field of interest. I recently completed an online career diploma for Medical Assistant. I have always been interested in the medical field, however I still do not think it is quite for me. I will now be pursuing a bachelor’s degree in psychology. With a college degree, a person can do so much more with their life. Getting a job is almost impossible these days and I believe that college is going to make getting a job much easier for me. College is a new chapter to a person's life, and I can not wait to start mine.