Northwest Nazarene University

« See more reviews of Northwest Nazarene University

Though it is expensive, I choose Northwest Nazarene University because it is a good investment for my future. Here, they encourage their students to study various subjects in order to become a more rounded person. They want their students to be driven by a goal of excellence to glorify God to do their very best in their work and studies, not just the minimal amount. It may take four or more years to complete my degree but I will be better suited for any job once I start working. NNU also teaches its students to have a humble heart, striving to serve the community. Instead of working for a high paycheck, I will be working towards developing my efforts on helping my community. NNU educates its students to look at multiple perspectives, allowing them to make better, more educated, life choices.

When choosing a college, it is a good idea to make sure that it offers career plan that you are interested in and you know that you will love. In order to have a successful experience at your college of choice, it is important to live the life you love and love the life you live. One thing that I have leared in my years as a college student is that,it is okay to change your career plan in order to move closer to one that makes you the happiest. Also, allow yourself to have some fun outside of just going to classes. if you do this you may find that life can be more enjoyable and less stressful. Don't allow yourself to become so burried in your classes and homework that you miss what it is to be a college student. Learn all that you can and make the most of what you learn.

If I could go back in time and speak to my high school self about college and what I know now, I would definitely tell myself to just be enthusiastic about the transition in every aspect. The transition for me honestly wasn't that hard. The only things that I had difficulties with was simply being overly nervous and scared about starting in a completely different institute. I continued with my focus and good grades, but just remained a very reserved person. I would definitely give my high school self the advice to stand out and not be shy. I ended up making friends quickly enough for being a shy person and I always made good grades, but my nervous attitude about college would have disappeared had I had a lot of confidence in the transition going into it.

My college experience has stretched me spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. Daily my professors challenge students to think about situations more in depth and more personally. I have learned to open my mind to different teachings and beliefs before turning away from them, and allow myself to fully process them, whether I choose to believe them or not. This has allowed me to form my own opinions and popular events and debates. NNU has given me an opportunity to create life long friendships with other students, coworkers, and professors. Almost everyone I have met has challenged me in some way, and I have grown spiritually, mentally, and emotionally because of it. NNU has allowed me to grow up and into the world in which we are living.

Knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition successfully, I would remind myself as a high school senior that this is a big change and it won't be easy. I would tell myself to be open and friendly, make friends and work hard. And don't be afraid to try something new, even if it isn't "your thing". People will get homesick and leave, but surround yourself with the people that are just as excited to be there as you are. Keep in touch with all the members of your family when possible, but become close to those you live with. They will be your family for the year. Do not get so enwrapped in homework that you forget to have fun and friends. And don't let the summers keep you from contacting your new school family.

I would tell my younger self this: "Grades are very important. Mom and Dad tell you to focus on your studies for a reason. Do not screw around and put things off. You are just going to regret it, in the end. Get all your homework done first, before hanging out with your friends. Do not put your friends before your schoolwork because you are for an education. Friends are great, and the ones you make at college will stay with you forever, but do not go looking for drama to start up. Just do your work, hang out with your friends, and go to bed at a decent time. Also, go to the gym! You will gain weight, and you will hate it! Go to the gym, and work out before you gain too much weight. Remember those four things, and you will be set."

Research schools thoroughly. Don't choose a school just because it's convenient and you've heard things about it. It's fine to start at a community college, but it's really best to go into it knowing what school you're going to transfer to, so that you can tailor your education there to fit with what you'll need at your four year univeristy. And even if you think you know what school you want to go to, ask an advisor or someone about other schools: it really is worth it. Pay attention to what your advisors say, since they really do know more about what credits you need than you do, despite what you may think. It's good to get second opinions on everything, though, and to take time making big decisions.

Search out all school options that fit your needs regardless of their costs. You can then narrow them down by the packages they offer you. You need to pick out schools that have the major or majors your are looking for. Also other majors of interest, because it is not uncommon for a student to change their minds during the college process. Make sure you pick colleges that have a climate you will like as well as an area you are comfortable in. It is important to feel comfortable in your surroundings as well as being comfortable in the classroom. Always give a school a year before deciding it is not for you. Sometimes it takes that long to get acquainted with the area, the school and the people.

Going to college has helped me grow and mature into the person I'm becoming. College is all about having fun and enjoying your time because this is the one time in life that there are no cares or worries. All I have to worry about is getting my homework done and getting up for class, other than that I have no other responsibilities. I need to learn to not rush this time in my life because before I know it, it will over. With all this said, I need to remember that I do have classes and I cannot forget about that because that, after all, is the main reason I'm attending school. I need a college education in order to obtain a good job so that I can make a decent living afterwards.

College was a good experience for me when I attend 9 years ago. I did not finish college back then, but now I am working on going back to school now. The experience I had years ago was good for me because it allowed me to find out who I was. It also showed me how to take care of myself without my parents. It made me a more mature man, and really set me on my path for life. The experience I will be getting when I go back will help me in the nursing field. I will be going back to school to get my nursing degree. I will be able to help those in need. After watching my wife experience the joy in helping people, I have grown to want the same thing.