Traverse City, MI
Northwestern Michigan College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Northwestern Michigan College

A.

The library is my second home; the books, a second family. The classroom experience is small and personal, with an added ingredient of teachers, members in their fields. The community tends to be a bit cliquey, but finding your niche is an adventure. Students are friendly, when you can relate to them. Uncertain of what the NMC experience would be like as a residential, freshman, any place can be scary, but inviting; it depends on your outlook and how you go about achieving what you set out to do.

Ah, high school was nine years ago. I've often thought about the words of advice I would give to my senior self as a graduate and wiser 'Alanna' I am today, but knowing what I know now would ruin the knowledge and experiences I learned along the way. And who knows where I would be if I did know - because I'm happy who I am today. Assuming that this answer does nothing for high school seniors today, the best advice I can give is 'slow down.' This generation is about how fast you can figure something out, or that everyone wants to grow up. Your college days are the best days of your life, but not because of the care-free party spirit. In college, you find your voice. It wasn't until after college, when I dropped everything and moved across the country to pursue a life of my own, that I could really look back and SEE - learn. As friendly as people are, not everyone is your friend. Stay close to family, as they will always be there for you. Motivate & inspire yourself, as you are the best thing you've got. Growing never stops.

This is the first time I am attending NMC as one of their students. In the past, I've attended to obtain classes for my degrees at a different school. For a small community, I find NMC to be very personal and adventurous in their fields of study choices like Water Studies, Culinary and Cultural Anthropology. NMC offers educational programs that you really can't get anywhere else. I think the downfall in a small community is a lack of diversity; but what they lack in diversity, they make up in culture.

Jasper

Study hard, research your college of choice very thoroughly and work hard. Look for scholarships and apply to as many as possible because college is expensive.

More about the living quarters and the program I went into.

Anyone wanting a very good yet affordable education.

Autum

It's a small community college focused on the learning process, not the answers you provide. NMC wants to learn new things, not drill answers in your head for tests.

Pay more attention in school and have less of a social life!

The best thing about NMC are the devoted professors. The professors put a lot of effort into making sure we are learning and getting us actively involved. The professors genuinely care about if your learning or not, your not just some other student to them.

Jamie

Northern Michigan College is best known for its Maritime Acadamy, which is offered as a Bachelor's degree within the school. The college receives a number of out of state students for this degree alone, building diversity and strengthening networks for the students who participate.

This school is a great place for any two year degree. The location of the school and surrounding area is as beautiful as the curriculum is strong. Programs available at NMC are structured around associate degree completion or a few specialties, such as maritime and nursing, but the school is a phenomenal place with a strong teaching staff and proud alumni. I would recommend it to any undergraduate.

I would advise myself to take a chance and research more schools. I entered NMC as a non-traditional student and am disappointed it took me as long as it did to finally find my path.

Hours and availability of some services.

There is no doubt that out-of-state costs are incredibly frightening and on the opposite side of the spectrum community colleges appear more pleasing than in or out-of-state prospects, but at the end of the day, tuition is just a number. Focus your selection process simply on you instead of the costs. Do you want a big or small school? Are you interested in living somewhere new? Does it have hospitality programs? Put sincere effort into researching different places. Don’t just say, “Michigan is a good school, I’ll go there.” But once you’re there, you’ll figure out the costs, you’ll make friends, you’ll stress eat, you’ll fail your first paper, you’ll pull all-nighters, but most of all you’ll grow. As scary as some of these things may seem, don’t take life too seriously or you’ll miss out on the good stuff. If there was a MasterCard advertisement for the next four years of your life it’d go like this: “College, twenty-five thousand dollars a year. Cute university sweatshirt, fifty dollars. Six pack of PBR, four dollars. Best memories of your life, priceless.”

The best thing about NMC is that the staff are all very excited to be there everyday and are truly dedicated to their profession. Everyone is super helpful and willing to meet after office hours. The cost is another exemplary trait in that it made college affordable for anyone who wants to get an education and just as Jefferson said, it is super important to have an educated citizenry.

Attending community college at NMC has been seriously so amazing but there is little to no social life at the school. It is up to the individual to make friends and even that, this has its difficulties because many of the students who attend here, are looking to just get the credit out of the way and carry on but if dedicated, it is possible to make friends. It would be really ideal if the school would put on more outtings for people or create more interest-based clubs.

If I could give my highschool-senior self some advice about college, I would say try your hardest and don't be afraid to make mistakes. I missed a lot of opportunities because I was unsure of what I wanted out of school. I would say take advantage of campus resources, professor’s office hours, and learn from fellow students. Make friends. I’d say be open to new ideas, and ideas that you previously thought were wrong. Talk to strangers. I’d tell myself to apply for more scholarships, to make friends with the financial aid staff, and ask questions. Don’t be afraid to try and fail. Doing honors projects was hard, but I’d do them all again, even though they were difficult and not always successful. The most important thing I’d tell my highschool self would be this: your education is what you make it. If you want to learn, grow, and improve yourself, it’s up to YOU. Alternatively, if you want to just slide by with a 2.5 and an easy class load, that’s the kind of person you will be when you’re handed your diploma. So do your best.

I wished I would have known which school I was going to transfer to so that I could take the classes the next schools would need me to take.

Someone who knows what they want and has the drive and persistance to go after it. You have to know what you want to accomplish here and then get it done, becuase lots of students get stuck here at NMC and never move on. They never get a degree or anything, they just waste their money and time.

Take college more seriously, its a lot of work, more papers, more reading, more research. School has always come really easy to you but college is different. Start out with 2 classes your first semester to ease yourself into the transition. Make sure that you give yourself more time than you did in high school for homework and studying because the material is more challenging.

Fred

If i went back in time to talk to myself I would tell myself on the bus that I should marry my highschool sweetheart because it would make my college transition easier without all the drama. After years of not knowing what happened to the love of my life after the highschool romance I got a call from her. She was just as beautiful and we felt every emotion just the same as we did before, but we both had someone else. If I had just married her my intellect would be the same but I would be better off. In life it doesn't matter what you have, it's how you are remembered by others that counts.

The worst thing about my school is the parking. Seldom is there a time when I get front row parking. Students must arrive early in the morning in order to get a decent parking spot.

Someone that is full of themselves should not attend this school because attending this school will not make others in the college impressed. Here at NMC we all make the best of what we have because we are all close. NMC students always help each other.

Jake

They are all friendly and cordial. They are always willing to help with homework or hold the door when I needed help moving into the dorms. They respect the quiet rules and allow for plenty of studying.

In my college experience i have learned how to cooperate with others on projects and study harder. I have had to earn my grades more than ever while enjoying a fresh air campus. The work ethic needed to succeed in the college environment is somewhat suprising while refreshing. I know that i will come out on top with a new respect for the working folk of this country.

A person who wants a good education in a healthy environment.

Northwestern Michigan College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.