Oakwood University

« See more reviews of Oakwood University

The best advice I could offer to parents of college hopefuls would be to communicate with their children. Parents must balance offering them both the freedom to pursue a specific college (and degree), which will enhance and shape their passion in the field of their choice, along with practical boundaries which they can live by in order to find the appropriate setting which cultivates their growth. A supportive parent not only offers financial assistance but guidance through what can easily be a frightening and/or stressful transition from home to an unfamiliar environment. When a young person knows his/her parents are supportive as they acknowledge his/her own choices he/she will be less likely to rebel and more likely to be encouraged to stay focused on his/her goals. College life can be extraordinarily overwhelming sometimes yet parents can help by being available to listen and offer the positive support their children may need. College life is not simply books and tests but includes the potential learning experiences which encompass a mosaic of facets which detail important life skills from: relationships, finances, time management, and workload, balanced by approriate relaxation techniques; each critical to the maintainenance of health.

I once dreaded going to college, however, I knew that I wanted to. As the first from my entire family to do tertiary education there was immense pressure on me to succeed. As I entered Oakwood College, now Oakwood University, a sense of peace was apparent. At this university, my greatest experience, hands down is my exposure to volunteerism. Here i was able to join an on- campus organization that focus' heavily in community and internation relief. This experience has changed my whole view of life, and direction. I now want to build an orphanage, clinic and school and have partner groups in my local community as well as internationally. In addition to this, I now have a network of friends and professionals that I felt I wouldn't have found otherwise. I have learn't the true meaning of people "dwelling together in unity." I have also found the most supportive professors that I have ever seen or heard of, especially when I listen to my other friends who attend different universities. I realized from the very first year, the value of the education i was paying for, with these things involved. It cannot be replaced.

If I could go back and give myself advice, I would say to take my education slowly. I enjoyed school growing up and took accelerated classes. When I reached high school I had the opportunity to take college classes and later used those credits to enter college as second-semester sophomore, knocking three semesters off of my college stay. Attending school away from home for the first time, I thoroughly enjoyed my college experience. I went home for the summer only to anticipate what the following year would bring. What I didn't know was that my next and final two years would be filled with yearbook editor and student government duties, leaving me very little time to experience the life of a typical college student. Going back to to give myself advice, I would say to not take on so much responsibility. I am very appreciative of the opportunities I was given and learned a lot from the experiences, but holding such a time-consuming responsibility for two years made me miss out on a lot of typical college things like club outings and movie nights. I want to give myself the opportunity to have a full college experience.

I suggest that a parent and student should sit down and make a list of what the student likes. Then do some research. Going online is a good idea but its limiting. Talk to other college students. These can be limited to family members, friends, etc. and ask them the pros and cons of their college. A college student always love to express their college so there won't be much their holding back. Next thing to do is try visiting colleges before actually attending their. Visiting colleges gives you a feel of actually attending there. Most colleges have programs which allow interested/future students tour their college. Before actually attending the college making friends that are about to go are a good idea. Making a facebook group such as "College 2010 class" gives you the opportunity to meet future students as yourself, so in a sense your making college buddies before actually attending there. Do YOUR HOMEWORK. Before and after. Senoritis is a myth that will bite you in the behind. And stay focused because while being a freshman you can be distracted academically easily, with all the activities available.

Though some scientist say that an individual would not change their actions regardless of them knowing how his or her future would turn out, there is advice that I do believe many individuals would make. During high school, though I did come from low middle working class family, school was not as challenging as I would have liked it to have been. Due to this, I could and sometimes would do my work whenever I felt it was necessary and study for tests just a few days before the examination was given. Since college, I have learned that these are not good study habits or work habits. Therefore, I would tell myself, no matter how easy a class may seem or how simple a test may be, to work and study as if your life depended on it. This advice would have been so helpful because college has taught that study habits that I developed in high school, are not acceptable for the college level academics. Beside telling myself to develop better study habits, I would have also advised myself to keep God first and apply for every scholarship possible so that college would be a more enjoyable experience.

College has been a mental, emotional, and mature experience of great change for the better. For me it was the first time getting away from home and declaring some independence. Feeling like a settler in the Oklahoma land rush, I quickly sprinted off to stake my land (college) and livelihood (goals). It does not take a long time away from family to learn who you are and what you want. It is in everything you decide. My experiences, so far, have enabled me to come to grips with what I really want and the importance of it all. It has enabled me to shatter my shell and becoming my own person with unique and important views and ideas about everything. Having a voice is one of the greatest things about America, but it is funny that one would have to go to college to truly experience what it is like to exercise it. Energized with freedom and fixated with goals I will accomplish anything my heart desires. It is arguable that college is merely the avenue to success; however the value inside of it comes from great minds and ability to be honed into something better, wiser, and more experienced.

The coming transition that is coming in your life seems gargantuian. There are several aspects to college that are not only mysterious to you but also terrifying. Do not worry becuase your roomate will be amazing and clean! The most useful pieces of advice that I can give you about the future is to work incredibly hard but with the least amount of stress possible. I know you. Somewhere along the line you have misunderstood what hard work looks like. Stress and chronic worry will leave you drained. Learn now how to enjoy the work that you will do. In the years to come there will be enough stress and unexpected tragedy to worry about. This is uncontrollable. But understand that you are much stronger than you think. Your future will be less complicated when you begin to trust the path that you have been put on. Finally, the most important lesson I can teach you is that success is so much sweeter when you accept that it is not going to be given to you. Entitlement will discount any type of success you achieve. Life more fulfilling now that you accept that all worth having must be worked for.

My advice to prospective students and parents of prospective students would be to apply to as many colleges as possible, even the ones that seem too hard to get into and also the ones that would definatelly not be your first choice. Also visit campuses and take note as to weather or not you are comfortable with the size of the school and the teacher to student ratio. If you recognize the fact that you need more attention from the teacher then go for the smaller sized schools. Also, observe the surrounding areas and make sure that these areas won't distract you from school. Also when looking at school, make sure that the school has good resources for students who need extra help with things as tourting and such. Another good thing to look at is the alumni, observe the outcome of the students that have gone to the school and see how most of them come out. To enhance your learning experience at school, make sure you stay focouse, but at the same time don't overload yourself. The key to a good college career is findin a balance between working time and playtime. Above all, set goals.

I would advise all students to first be honest with yourself. When it comes to finding the right college or university, you want the school that will cater most to who you are, where you are going, and what you want to be in life. It all starts with you. Any future college or university student should have an idea of who they are as a person. This includes the things you like to do, the people you would like to meet, what you like to do for fun, how you relax, and even the subject you would most like to study. Once you know these things you can begin looking for a school that would best fit you and your personally. Make sure to choose schools that have the major you would like to study first. Then think about things such as the size of the school, the location of the school, the campus' cutural diveristy, the accredidation of the school and the percentage of students that succeed after graduation. Think about the school's social life versus its academic life, and where the students stand when it comes to their education. Finally, before you decide, visit the school.

College is not easy, but it is definitely not impossible. When you start college, don't expect everything to go perfect. Give yourself time to settle down and become comfortable with your surroundings. It is very important to understand that one of the biggest differences between college and high school is the work load. In high school, you may have done one chapter every two weeks. However, in college, you do one chapter every class session. The good news is that you don't have every class every day. This means that you must be very careful with how you manage your time. You should still make time to study for your classes even if you don't have it for a couple of days. Time management is what makes one of the differences between an outstanding student and an average student. As an outstanding student, make sure you manage your time well. It is important to prioritize what you need to do and it is also very important to take the time to relax. While, you may feel as if you have to study every single moment, understand that your body also needs to rest. Persevere until the end!