Ohio Northern University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Ohio Northern University

Julian

I love Ohio Northern University. For me it isn't about sports, activities, or academics, even though they are each unique and prominent throughout the campus. it is about the feeling the campus gives me. That feeling is home. This university has given me the opportunity to branch out of my comfort zone and find my complete self. I have met the greatest people and professors that have changed my life. This campus is so personal and I appreciate that I am not lost in the crowd.

Karielle

This tiny school in the middle of nowhere Ohio has a lot more to offer than a large state school focused on pumping out graduates. Ohio Northern University's uniquely small size allows students to form lifelong relationships with both teachers and their peers. The bond that the "polar bears" create over the course of 4-6 years at Northern is unlike any other and provides opportunities to network and find jobs for their upcoming future. As an involved student in both my classes and extracurricular activities, I have been able to make an impact on my community and truly find a home away from home at this university. I feel great comfort in how safe the school and surrounding areas are, and know that I always have campus security and peers to make sure that I will get where I need to in a safe manner. Overall, Ohio Northern University provides exceptional opportunities for its students and beyond prepares them for the world to come post graduation. If you are considering this school for your higher education, I could not recommend it more!

Kahlia

It's a great college with amazing people. It's small which is a good thing when it comes to knowing everyone and getting more one on one time with your professors. We like to have fun here and next to academics ,sports is what we live for.

devon

Overall i believe Ohio Northern University is a good campus. I feel safe when walking outside after class after dark. The biology program at onu is a great. The teachers involved in the program are easy to talk to about your study's as well as life. They teachers are overall great at explaining concepts.

Morgan

Ohio Northern University quickly became my home. Everything about the campus made me fall in love. The academics and professors are top notch, and there are endless chances to boost your future. Although the food may be lackluster, ONU makes up for it with facilities, opportunities, and adventures.

Madison

It is a beautiful campus. It's on the smaller size, but that just means that everywhere you go, there is always someone you know and a smiling face to say hello to. It is a well known school for many of it's wide variety of programs. You are encouraged to do your best work with it's rigorous courses offered.

Jonah

It is an awesome school! Beautiful campus, awesome athletics, very friendly student body. There's a great variety of academic majors as well. They give amazing academic scholarships too. I can't wait to start studying there this fall! PolarBearUp Classof2020

Isabelle

I absolutely love the class sizes and the friendly professors we have here. The resources we have available are also super helpful. Classes can get tough but we have great facilities to study in and you can always find someone else to study with. Although there are a few restaurants here in Ada, the only downfall is you have to drive about 30 minutes for almost anything. Overall, ONU is a great school academically and I have made some really great memories already.

Aleksandria

Very nice school, great/friendly/helpful staff, I really enjoy being a polar bear! Ohio Northern gives each of its students many opportunities to be successful and helps them and encourages them to keep striving for success! There facilities, and education are incredible.

Ellie

If you don't mind living in the middle of nowhere, it is an amazing school to go to. The education is fantastic, the people are awesome, the campus is safe, and the overall quality of life here is great. It's a fun place to be if you find the right group and are committed to your education.

Tyler

Ohio Northern University is a hometown college full of people from near and far who come because of small class sizes and high statistics in academics and job placement. The facilities are outstandingly presentable. The residence halls are divided up by class (freshman, sophomore, etc.) and get nicer and more convenient the older you are.

Bethany

Ohio Northern University is a beautiful campus with an outstanding academic environment. There is such a diverse community on campus. The professors are phenomenal and care about the students and building relationships with them. Class sizes are smaller but this gives a better opportunity for students to seek out help if needed. Overall, Ohio Northern University is an amazing institution with beautiful scenery, excellent academic, and such a diverse amount of extracurricular activities that there is something for everyone to get involved in.

Natalie

My overall opinion of Ohio Northern University is very positive. I am about to go into my second year as a pharmacy major, and I could not be happier with my choice to attend ONU. I love the atmosphere of the whole campus and everyone you meet is always so inviting. ONU provides so many opportunities for its students and is a great environment academically and socially.

Jessie

Ohio Northern has provided me with a stellar education, and I could not have asked for teachers more dedicated to making sure their students fully understand course material and are prepared for graduate school or jobs. For the 2016 graduates, 94% of them have either enrolled in graduate school or found employment within 6 months of graduation. All of the professors I have had the pleasure of knowing during my time at Ohio Northern have expressed so much passion for not only the subjects they teach, but for each and every one of their students. I have personally experienced this kindness many times, but most specifically, when I was going through a tough time, my Medicinal Herbs professor called me into her office and made me a hot cup of tea and let me talk to her like she was a second mom. Class sizes are relatively small, so you get the chance to develop relationships with your professors and classmates that you wouldn't normally have in large colleges. Although the classes can be difficult, there is always an abundance of help- from free tutoring to being able to have one-on-one discussions with professors. On campus housing is very expensive but required for the first three years. It does provide a great way to meet new people, especially in the freshman dorms. One of my fondest freshman memories is playing twister in the hallway after getting an email about our first snow day. The freshman dorms are your typical tiny bedroom, but ONU does also offer on-campus apartments with a kitchen, living area, separate bedrooms, and a bathroom. Laundry is free and you are typically able to get a washer or dryer without too long of a wait. The campus meal plan is expensive, and not worth it for the quality of food served in MAC. That is probably my one and only big complaint, the food. There is very little variety and on more than one occasion, students have found raw or under-cooked meat being served. There are many opportunities for students to get involved on campus, and at the beginning of every semester, organizations hold a Welcome Fest to get new students acquainted with the wide variety of clubs, sports, and organizations. I have personally been involved with Model United Nations, Student Senate, Kappa Phi, and rugby. Greek life is big on campus, but it is not the only opportunity for students to be involved in a philanthropic organization. Athletic organizations are also big on campus, and student athletes are held to a high standard both on and off the field. At ONU, education comes first, so sports are played more for the love of the game than anything else. But that doesn't mean we aren't competitive, and many students go out to support our teams. Ada is a lovely little village, but there is not much to do. There is an abundance of pizza places, a small movie theater, and three small bars that many college students over 21 frequent on the weekend. Karaoke nights are Wednesday nights, which tend to draw a large crowd and are always a fun time. There are some house parties on the weekends, but they are not huge parties like you would find on larger campuses. Ohio Northern is a very safe environment because it is so small and everything is within walking distance. Overall, I have thoroughly enjoyed my three and a half years at ONU and I feel very proud to say that I will graduate from this university. The education I have received here is second to none, the student (although there is not much diversity) are intelligent and charismatic people who care very much about their education. It is a very expensive school, and I will graduate with more debt than I would like, but the memories and experiences I have gained at Ohio Northern University make up for that.

Kaitlyn

Overall it is a really great school, though there is not much around. It is about 20 min to the nearest town. The art department was a bit disappointing not what they hyped it up to be. The food in the cafeteria is good but its basically the same thing everyday.

Jordan

Ohio Northern wasn't exactly what I imagined when I began thinking about college my freshman year in high school. However, the more searching I did and the more visits I took, it felt right being on a small campus like this one. I love how close everybody is and it feels like we are truly being prepared for life after school.

Luke

Very positive. The class sizes are fantastic and the professors are always willing to help and flexible when you miss class for excused events. The food is mediocre, but there are some items better than others. The athletics are top-notch, most teams compete for a conference championship every season and the fan support is another positive.

Anika

It’s a great school. They make sure their students understand and are always there to help if you’re struggling. Also, It’s such a warm and inviting community. There is so many activities and events around the campus to bring everyone together. Everybody is friends here and it’s a great school.

Victoria

I love that Ohio Northern is about the arts and really is an advocate for encouraging students to be creative! Their music program is amazing along with many other aspects! This is the college of my dreams! I enjoy the student atmosphere as well, and how there are so many clubs and different ways to get involved!

Mulan

ONU is a great campus that's located in the small village of Ada, Ohio. It's definitely more of a small town feel, but the class sizes are really nice! Some of the buildings are outdated but they just added a new engineering building which has been cool to see.

Erica

Ohio Northern University is a great college for pushing yourself towards your academic goals and being apart of a community. The faculty are amazing and are always available for their students. There are always activities going on, from sports games to plays and symphonies. Really a great campus to get involved in new and exciting things. Highly recommend.

Lori Ann

The education program is a bit of a mess, and the food is not very good and the dorms should be cleaned a lot more regularly. However, professors are very accessible and there are programs (like the writing center) that are very beneficial to students such as myself.

Shelby

Ohio Northern University is a largely academic campus with amazing programs for pharmacy and law. The campus has little nightlife, but something good about this is the focus on studies at this college is very large and is successful. The food on campus is not very great and there aren't many different options of places to eat, but the dorms are nice and get better as the student advances through their years.

Aliya

Ohio Northern University is nestled in a village, in a cornfield, in another cornfield, in the middle of Ohio. The University is very dedicated to its academics and student success in all majors with all professors holding regular office hours. The greeks life exists, but there are also many other campus involvement groups that are popular. It's beautiful in the fall but bring a heavy-duty coat in the winter. Everyone's welcoming and the campus feels very safe.

Andrew

Ohio Northern is a very academic based school and the people here came here to get an education. Some students go out on weekends to relive stress while others go home to the library. Extra curriculars are hit or miss, you could find something you love or not find anything. The food at the dining hall is okay at best and the dorm rooms are alright. The student body as a whole become rather close which is great if that is what you want, which is usually why students come here. The courses are rigorous, but the professors are always available. Also as an engineering student, brand new engineering building coming fall of 2019.

Olivia

I've enjoyed my past few months at Northern. I do wish there was a bit more to do in Ada. The only places surrounding the college is small family owned pizza shops. I wish that the food in the dining hall was better, too. I find myself eating cereal and bagel quite frequently. I do feel very safe on campus and all of the professors here are very intelligent and helpful.