Old Dominion University

« See more reviews of Old Dominion University

Freshman year I wish someone would have told me how important it was to make close connections with some of your professors. Any one of your teachers can be a potential reference or help in the long run. Its much better to start early rather than wait and then try to get your favorite teacher from freshman year to write you a recommendation letter when you are a junior or senior. They will have forgotten about you. Also it is just good to have someone you trust as a professor to talk to about academics, career goals, and overall life planning. They can serve as a mentor and get to know you and stick with you throughout your college experience and this can be really helpful.

I personally like everything about my school. One issue involving my school that i dislike is the housing. My school is big and is continuing to grow. So if there was one thing I wish I had known before I had came to this school, it would be to have a better understanding on the housing process. The housing process at my school involves students to have a certain gpa as well as a minimum amount of extracurricular activites. Therefore some people aren't given student housing due to other students having a higher gpa or involved in more activties.

Before graduating high school, it would be beneficial for students to have an understanding of finance and "handling business" in and outside of the college arena. Handling your own business without an understanding of exactly how loans work, or who to speak to about certain issues involving school, can be difficult. Fortunately, I have a family, that helps me to figure these things out. I would encourgae prospective students to take a personal finance class if possible ,or to consult someone who is knowledgeable about personal finance.

Before attending/ acception to Old Dominion I wish I had someone to tell me to stay focused no matter what may happen. To take complete advantage of outside sources and tutors are strongly encouraged. I wish I had known that sometimes there is no one to help you and you have to figure somethings out on your own. I know now that some teachers are here for the paycheck and sometimes have no urge to help the students understand fully the concept ,(not many) and that sometimes it's best to contact another teacher in that field of study.

I had wish I had known more of the curriculum and academic career path which I am currently treading. I wish I had spoken to someone helpful within my academic interest to guide me in taking certain classes before others. I met with an advisor but she was also counseling five to seven other transfer students and I was not able to get her opinion on classes I enrolled in. Since then, I have however, been able to meet and speak to people within my academic department who have passed on wonderful and helpful advice.

Every school has it's own culture of people and community. I wish I had known what kind of community resides here at ODU because I believe that college is meant for the sole pupose of learning, but not just in academics but within our very selves. It gives us the opportunity to grow ourselves individually, and make relationships. In a school that is mostly known in past years to be a communter school (it is no longer a communter school now), it can be difficult at times to involve oneself in the present community.

The number one thing that I had wished I would have known before coming, would be to buy my books off-line, intead of spending $500 at my school's bookstore. Also, to be a little more open-minded to new ways of doing things as well as the types of people that I encoutered. Lastly, I wish I would have definitly got involved my first semester freshmen year, because there are so many opporutnities at school to showcase your talent and skills.

I wish I knew that they were doing renovations to the school. Although it's for the better, i've been through schools with renovations since I was in elementary school so I would have enjoyed not being surrounded by construction. I also would have liked to know to invest in money for food because the cafeteria food isn't so great but everything else that you have to pay for seperately is so much better.

I wish I had a better idea of what I wanted to do with my life before coming to my school. I have had a difficult time getting advising while attending my school. The advisors have difficult schedules that make it really tough to see my advisor. Also the advisors do not relay what exactly you need to accomplish to graduate. My school is a pretty good school besides the advising issues.

I would have preferred to know that I could do the concurrent enrollment at TCC and ODU even if I do not already hold a Bachelor's degree. This could have allowed me to start working towards my BSN a year earlier. I am finishing up my ADN at TCC now and just starting my BSN at ODU. I feel as though I have wasted valuable time because I told that I had to wait; which is not the case.