Old Dominion University Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Old Dominion University

shawniaya

I love Old Dominion University. This university diversity. Diversity in students, clubs, organizations, and more. Old Dominion University never has me bored. I was able to make friends of all types. At this school, I love seeing different cultures and traditions. This university has tons of great connections once students graduate. Many students find jobs or careers in their fields. It takes some getting used to at first, but you start to see other people's beliefs. It teaches you that it is ok to disagree without anger. This university is big on opinion but, they won't let violence or let a particular situation get out of hand. I would encourage anybody ready to step out of their comfort zone and see different styles and cultures to come to Old Dominion University.

Blaze

My opinion of Old Dominion University is overall very good. I just transferred this year from a school in North Carolina, and ODU is very inviting. My advisor is nice and helpful, the campus is beautiful, and my instructors teach very well. Life on campus is very inviting and I have nothing bad to say about the school.

Amenda

Old Dominion University is very high in academics. ODU is a welcoming campus with lots of resources to assist students. Online learning is good but can be better. Most professors are very helpful and willing to work with students in all situations. The school offers a lot of opportunities for students. During this pandemic, the University has placed necessary measure to keep students safe.

Dayna

I enjoy it and love it because of Dr. Oleszak she is AMAZING! You can find really great professor, but there are also not so good ones. It all depends what your majoring in. There are always super good ones and then not so good ones. I did have some issues with the Dean and she was very unhelpful. So rude.

Chad

It's pretty nice. I feel it's extremely overpriced though. This semester alone is $50,000, and it wasn't even open due to the coronavirus. I will say ODU does great in regards to art. There is into a single day there isn't a drawing on the side-walk, a art shoot in front of the Web center, or even blue dye in the lion fountain. I will say the professors are by far the best though. Not just their intelligence but their understanding. Honestly, they are the most wholesome people I ever met and take great pride int heir work. They're so awesome at times I want to switch my major just to continue studying under some of them.

Elliot

Old Dominion university is a good school for students who like a lot of diversity on campus. In this school if you want to achieve a goal, you'll have to get up and actually go and do it. There are many resources that many students fail to take advantage of at ODU.

Jazzmin

I was looking at Old Dominion Universities Fashion program and it seems like everything I am looking for. I have always had a passion for working the fashion industry. However, I knew I always wanted to go a University and not art/fashion school. ODU looks like it can provide me with the education I have been looking for. The campus life seems welcoming and extremely fun.

Tina

Love this school! Its very expensive but it is worth the price. is a great place and offers many opportunities. I wish faculty was engaged in more policy research (my area) but only one or two. The coursework is fine, with lots of homework. Sometimes professors are a little late with responses and grades, but not always.

Simone

Old Dominion University overall is wonderful school. I came in with low expectations because I am a shy person, yet attending Old Dominion University made me more social. I never in a million years thought that I would have a large group of friends and be as close as I am with some of the professors. Normally, I would try to teach myself and not ask anyone for help because I was scared of saying something wrong. Although once I started college everyone seems to be focused on the same thing which was graduation. Which made it easier for me to get over my shyness because work had be done and the professors were even more excited to help me along the way. I would recommended Old Dominion University to any student because it not only provides school lesson but life lessons as well.

Seth

It is a great University and I enjoy the atmosphere. I feel like the University is helping me grow and become what I want to be for the rest of my life . The University has a lot to offer and I would tell anyone to apply attend. I believe a person will get everything they need from this University to start their career.

Dwayne

Old Dominion University is a great school! This is my first year and it is great! I have been introduced to more opportunities my first two weeks being here than I did at a two year community college. It is very diverse here. The teachers and staff a very helpful as well.

Annabel

This school has a good campus and overall atmosphere. Small class sizes allow for students to get to know their professors. There's a couple department are too small, and it makes finding classes and finishing a degree difficult for several majors. I live off campus, so I don't know much about campus life, but I hear it's pretty good.

iman

I would recommend Old Dominion University to students that is looking for a college that has all of the qualities that high school or transfer students look for in a university. The school is extremely welcoming to incoming students, a number of events are hosted for students to interact and meet others. The campus is large, and beautiful. All of the facilites are fairly new and modern, the dorms, the library, the gymnasium, he cafes and other the eating facilities. The library is open 24 hours for students, and the all of the cafes have reasonable hours. The students are remarkably involved, that includes on campus activities, as well as being politically involved. Anything that goes on in the world, students are free to speak out on, as long as it isn't harmful to other ethnicities or groups of people. Professors are caring and want students not only to learn, but to pass as well. The school offers many opportunities in order for students to be successful. Overall Old Dominion University is an exceptional school.

Latoya

There are some nice things here at ODU, but overall I hate it. From my personal experience, the housing process is absolute garbage. Once you are out of the Freshman phase, housing is up in the air. One semester, a kid had to sleep in a car because he didn't have housing, a friend of mine had to sleep on my couch. Some apartments in Powhatan Village have black mold. The managers in the cafe rush the cooks to put the food out. Don't be surprised if your food is under cooked. The cafe offers very little for people who are vegetarians. Dealing with financial aid is a real pain. The staff are not very helpful and can be extremely rude at times, even to the parents. My major issue with the ODU is that it is way to expensive for what you get back in return.

sidney

I like it at ODU! It has some ups and downs but overall it's a good school. I find the academic life to be intriguing. The classes can be challenging at times but there are plenty of resources to help students succeed. The party life is also a plus! No matter what day of the week there is always something fun going on around campus. Even for those who don't like the party seen. There are many social events run by school clubs such as movie nights, bingo, and comedy shows.

Sekani

I have very much enjoyed my time spent at Old Dominion University. The students are passionate and concerned about society. The facilities are well manages and provide students with a multitude of resources. The professors are welcoming and keep regular office hours if one needs assistance. There are plenty of locations nearby to dine and have fun.

Melven Nathan

Old Dominion University is a great university. There is a sense of pride and intellect anywhere you look. I am not a very social person, but in my first year of enrolling here, I have become more social. The students and faculty here are all friendly, open, and social. Everyone on campus is friendly. One thing I gained from this University is that no one is prejudice or secluded from the rest. On the first day on campus, I had an hour gap between my first and second class. I decided to head to the pool tables in the university's Web center. As soon as I walked in, I could feel the atmosphere of competition and friendliness. I got into a pool game right away with another student. If there's something you enjoy doing, you can bet that at the big university's Web center, you'll always find someone to enjoy it with. The Web center is smack-dab at the middle of campus where friends and sometimes professors hang-out to socialize, have academic conversations, and have fun. If you are looking for a university to enjoy what you love doing on your free time or just want to be social, you can guarantee that Old Dominion University has that opportunity any time. There is are places to socialize and there are places to be academically included. There is no place like Old Dominion University. "Go Monarchs!"

Emmanuelle

Old Dominion University is an esquiste 4 year academic establishment set in the inner city of Norfolk, Va. Accessible to the great shops of Downtown Norfolk, and a twenty-minute ride from Hampton, Va. This school has been a complete eye opener in the aspect of education and the quality of life. I can honestly say that I was challenged inside and outside of the classroom, especially due to my major in the Health Professions department. This department and intended degree competitively places students against each other for selective spots in the intended major.

Heather

I love the campus and the people. I am a transfer student from Radford but I felt very welcome at Old Dominion. I am kind of sad I am not going for all 4 years. Everyone is so nice and helpful. I can see myself belonging there and enjoying my time there and that is all I want.

Jasmine

Overall Old Dominion is a decent school, I don't feel that they give out a lot of financial opportunities via scholarships. I'm a freshman commuter student, my perspective of Old Dominion is slightly different as oppose to a student who stays on campus. Old Dominion has a positive faculty majority of my professors are understanding and willing to work with their students. During activity hour its usually dead much going on or not much publicity for activity hour about events.There are numerous clubs on campus for all students. Not much of a diverse Greek organizations here pretty general I'm personally not a fan of the sororities or fraternities. We have learning services for students like the writing center, resume builder, women center, care exploration office, etc. As a commuter its best to pay for a parking pass an annual pass is about $250. There is limited parking on campus for students more parking for facility and staff, but students have an opportunity to park in the faculty parking garage after 3:45. Be aware that if you decide to commute and would like to stay on campus the following fall semester only the spring semester.

Evelyn

Old Dominion is very diverse, but there is a lack of cohesion. Groups rarely mingle; individually groups will host cultural events. Academically, ODU is focused primarily on STEM degrees, health sciences, and business/marketing. They do offer degrees in dance, studio art, photography, theater etc, but those programs are small and less developed. I don't see as many internships offered in the arts. Students seem less interested in attending the ODU student concerts and art exhibits. Overall, ODU is primarily a commuter campus. Students living on campus are more connected and involved in clubs than those who commute. There are lots of organizations for students to join, though, and I would highly recommend joining at least 1 club or organization. ODU also offers a variety of online courses. As a whole, I think Old Dominion University has great academic programs. Like all colleges, they have areas that need improvement.

Marcus

Located in the heart of the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, Old Dominion University is a great place for diversity, academic study, and meeting people that you will take with you for life. The challenging curriculum inspires students to present innovative ideas about the world and the people in it. Social engagements, a beautiful waterfront campus, and community inspired events make Old Dominion University one of the best colleges in the area.

Victoria

If you are trying to decide if Old Dominion is the right school for you, let me assure you that it is. I just finished my first year at ODU and I can truly say, it was one of the best years of my life. Although college is challenging, somehow, Old Dominion makes the experience a little easier. From the dedicated professors to the exciting school traditions, I feel that I belong there. The diversity on campus is truly a sight to see. I never feel out of place, and it is important that I feel safe and welcomed at my home away from home. In all, Old Dominion proves to be a great place to further your education all while finding your niche on campus.

ana

Everyone is very helpful on where to guide you. There is always events where you can join and activities where you can participate. It a great school overall.

monique

This school was a very good school when it comes to the professors and the facilities available but when it comes to the people that go there and the campus housing the school is awful. ai loved my professors they were very helpful but the students are highly inconsiderate.

Colin

Overall I love my university. ODU is very diverse and does its absolute best to ensure that we all have such a great experience. From the games, to extracurricular activities, it may seem a bit overwhelming at first (or for me I spent most of my first semester partying at Hampton) but honestly it'll start to grow on you especially during spring semester.

The school itself is rather charming and they are currently developing a greater student community. The professors are knowledgeable in their subjects and encourage class discussion to help grasp difficult topics. Also, if they see potential in you, many will be happy to recommend you to internship or opportunities that will help you on your future career path.

Latoya

Old Dominion University is so unorganized with a lot of things and it is really hard to get help when you need it.

Aleah

Old Dominion University is a very diverse and opportunity driven school. There are various activities that includes a wide range of student involvement that encourages individuals to feel more connected to the university, even if they are commuters. After attending Old Dominion University for two years now, I would not have chosen a better place for me to attend or feel more welcomed than this school.

Old Dominion is a useful university for local students. It provides Hampton Roads natives an opportunity to access higher education. However, Old Dominion University does not offer the facilities or education quality that they advertise. The undergraduate programs do not prepare students to attend graduate school. If you are a high achiever, ODU is not the school for you. If you are a C student who already lives in Norfolk, ODU your backup option to NSU.

Sha-nae

I LOVE OLD DOMINION!!!!! It is an amazing school. They make sure you stay on track in order to be successful in you intended major. Also they have many resources and activities at your leisure. You can meet many different people from all different aspects of life.

Amina

Well

Kristian

My overall opinion on Old Dominion would be that overall it is a great school when it comes to the academics aspect of things. I do feel as if the school could implement a few things to make everyone else's experience here a whole lot better, but overall i am enjoying myself here at the illustrious Old Dominion University!

Old Dominion University (ODU) offers a variety of programs that prove suitable for a very diverse population of students. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to attend ODU in the Fall of 2018! When I visited ODU for the Open-House in the Spring of 2018, I was extremely impressed with the facilities an the knowledge of the campus the tour guides were able to provide.

Overall, this university is a great place to go for the sciences, education, and general fields of research. As a music performance major, however, this is not the place to go if music will be your only job after receiving a degree. If anything, go to a college or conservatory in New England or California.

Joseph

So far I have had a great overall experience at Old Dominion University. The staff has been so helpful in getting me integrated in the University in my first semester, as I recently transferred from a community college. There is a sense of diversity on campus that is unlike any other school I've visited, and everyone is so accepting of others.

Latees

There are some great professors there that give wonderful and insightful advice and assign good projects. I was able to learn just how much more I needed to know about film from my Screenwriting I and Introduction to Filmmaking class. I learned I really need to go to a specialized college for film after taking those classes. This university is more suited for academics and traditional art than some different forms of creativity for artist. I wasn't really able to express my visionary ideas of psychological horror there. Most were not into that but this gave me new found passion to find a college that will allow me to grow. So, I thank this university for giving me new found determination for my pursuit in filmmaking.

J

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at ODU. The diversity there is hard to beat. I've really liked 95% of my professors, the ones that I have had were all cool people who had a passion for both their subjects and teaching, knew what they were talking about and made class interesting. There is more than enough food options on campus with or without a meal plan. The housing in the newer buildings is really good and in the older building is still good but not as good. There's plenty to do on and off campus, especially if you know the right people. Overall I learned a lot and had a lot fun at ODU.

Hui

I honestly love Old Dominion University, and I'm super glad that Old Dominion University was my first choice. My professors are great. They do their job well and you can always contact them and they'll respond within the first hour. The food on campus is okay. There's not much to choose from. There are a bunch of clubs and sports you can join. The housing is alright. It could be a bit better. A lot of times there is not heat/AC. They always seem to not have any hot showers for student. I personally don't live on campus, I commute. Overall I enjoy attending Old Dominion University!

Crystal

ODU is a unique place, a school that is in the transition from becoming a mainly commuter school to a plain university. There is a lot of diversity but in that diversity there is a lot of segregation because as a campus we still hold the culture of going to campus just for class and not for community. We see a lot of students on campus but the students keep to themselves or to their friend group but the communities do not mix with one another which is where our segregation comes in. I think ODU overall has a lot of potential but is still a very young school and thus has a lot more growth to do in regards to unity and community.

Benjamin

I Love it! The school is located in a very nice versatile area with lots of things to do or attend. I am not sure about the amount of walking to and from classes but I will certainly be finding out!. I will be attending the fall 2017 session! ☺

Ashton

ODU is a great university with so many resources to offer. Diversity is a big factor on the Old Dominion University campus, and I find that to be very important. It is a beautiful campus, and is very welcoming. The university is all about participation and campus/student interaction. They hold many events whether rain or shine.

Micheala

As an out-of-state student (EXTREMELY out of state, I am from Maine), I thought this campus was absolutely wonderful compared to dreary campus' at home. I am asked fairly often why I chose a college that is eight-hundred sixty-three miles from home, and my answer will always be what my mom said to me: if you don’t leave your first year out of high school, you’re way to likely to never leave. She kind of kicked me out of the nest and taught me to use my wings independently. Yes, being far away from home is kind of scary, but I have learned way more than I would’ve if I had stayed home. Plus, it’s fairly warmer here that up in the north. People here at Old Dominion are very welcoming and helpful, especially during your first few weeks. I haven’t ever had the resources I have here, for example, tutors and faculty that are available as you need. The library is extremely large; I have never seen one like it before. Granted, I wish the buildings weren’t such a walk. I haven’t ever had to walk ten minutes to get to a class before. The food options here are also immaculate. Panda Express? Yes, please! But there are also multiple dining halls, instead of one large one. There are also a few little “POD markets” spread across campus; and I love that you can use flexpoints, which come in a meal plan, instead of using real money. There is also an amazingly delicious cookie place that delivers extremely nearby. It is a blessing. The dorms are also very nice. Granted, the bathrooms could be a tad larger, but considering the whole building doesn’t share one co-ed bathroom, I can live with my own, small bathroom. We also get our own closets, which I think is fantastic. I don’t have to try to cram all my clothes in my dresser. Even in a triple-student dorm room, there is actually a very generous amount of space. All in all, I really love this school so far. If you were an out-of-state student looking to get out of you home state, I’d recommend attending Old Dominion. I would definitely as well advise applying for financial aid, as my tuition bill is on the expensive side for a middle-class family. My tuition is more than my mom makes in a year!

Jordon

My overall opinion of Old Dominion University it's not a bad university there are some really cool professors that are there to help if you ask and put in the effort. There something for everyone the student just needs to come out to the involvement fairs.

d'ozia

old dominion university is a very good school in an overall rating. There are many things to do , and a lot of things to do and be involved in everyday. we have awesome food choices, and a lot of facilities where you can go to to just hang out. the teachers also want to see you do good, and give help when needed.

Briana

I love Old Dominion University, I had the best experiences, met some of my best friends and created connections that will last a lifetime. There are many activities that are available for all students that can range from academics, sports, and even other like interests.

Tatyanna

It is a great helpful to go. I will recommend kids to go here and be a monarch.

Jasmine

It is a great school if you are willing to learn and get involved with school activities. My advice for someone who is just now coming to the school is to make a lot of friends, and manage your time wisely. Create a plan to balance school, work, and your free time.

Djamila

As a freshman I've enjoyed my experience at Old Dominion and would recommend the institution to others as well. There's many resources for students to acquire aid for a multitude of needs and the student advisors are particularly active in making sure students have the accessibility to get help for all their needs.

Courtney

I love Old Dominion University, the students and the faculty. I cannot imagine myself being as happy as I am here anywhere else. I know that I made the best choice in coming here. I hope that next semester I fully take advantage of all the wonderful resources available to me.