Ringling College of Art and Design

« See more reviews of Ringling College of Art and Design

Thinking about college can be an exciting and nervous thing for both parents and students of any age. However, what to keep in mind is that a college degree is almost essential in the current job market, and no matter what your financial situation is, there are always options. Remember to prioritize goals and expectations while looking at schools. Do not avoid researching more expensive college and universities simply based on costs as these establishments often have excellent financial aid options. Community colleges are always an economic option. Keep key dates for submissions, financial aid etc. organized and do not procrastinate. While looking at prospective colleges always remember to research not only the college but the surrounding area and if possible, reviews given by past and currents students. While attending school see what you can do to become involved on campus and in the community so you can get to know fellow students as well as your surrounding area. A social life is a good and healthy thing but academics are what you are paying for so try to keep a healthy balance between the two. As you attend your major make sure you always love what you are learning!

I don't believe there is a magic formula that can be followed to avoid the pitfalls or ensure the success of the college experience. I do believe however that following your gut feeling and some common sense your likely to have a more predictable outcome. For many students going away to college is a new found freedom that they aren't accustomed to. Often times bad choices are born out of sheer boredom. This is a time to keep in touch with your child. Encourage them to have extracurriculum activities. A good work out in the gym,bike riding, gogging, even volunteering at the local day care center, often provides constructive release of energy. Respect your childs independence, just don't abandom them at the threshold of the unknown. If you've always been really close perhaps attending a school closer to home, with the prospects of transferring to another college a little further away may be something to consider. Allow yourselves to be the safe haven, remembering not to be too judgemental. Remind them that they are strong, intelligent and able to face this adversity with grace, after all its an exciting time in their lives .

Ringling College of Art and Design is definitely the right choice for you. I know it may seem difficult to move all the way to Florida if you've never been there before, but it is so totally worth it. The campus life is very involved, and people are very supportive. It's easy to make friends with the people around you, because you'll share a common interest with them. Finding resources for whatever you need is sinch because of the wonderful offices of Admissions, Advising, Financial Aid, Student Life, as well as the immaculate amount of resources available from the on-campus library. You'll find that the labs and studios are well equipped with all the latest technology and open studio space to get your work done. The professors here are pretty remarkable in terms of knowledge from actually working in their industry. They'll show you projects they've worked on in the past, as well as things they are working on right now. Overall it's pretty amazing. Just be sure to manage your time well so that you can complete your work, have time for volunteering, and those new friends you've made.

Hello high school senior, I hope you are enjoying this great year. Trust me, it is great, you don’t have much to worry about except getting the top scores on the SAT and applying for college and of course the anxiety that comes with waiting for the acceptance letter. First, you need an overall vision and mission when attending college. You should ask yourself, why am I going to college? What are the goals you hope to achieve in order to reach a bigger dream? These are questions that will set you on the right path. Also, know what your financial limits are and do not apply to a college that is beyond your financial reach. Of course, you can always apply for scholarships and other forms of financial aid in order to be able to attend, but always beware that attending an expensive college with no funds will create financial stress. The last piece of advice goes with who we are and how we present ourselves. Always carry a smile on your face and bring forth a positive attitude. You will attract many people and thus making friends to help you in your college journey. Enjoy college!

Upon going to college, there is a lot you expect, and a lot you don't. The most important thing is that you stay true to yourself, your goals, and make sure you enjoy your experience. There are a lot of ways to get sidetracked, but it's important to set your priorities and keep a level head about your environment and the people you surround yourself with. If you can remember these few simple things, then you will develope into a hardworking appreciative person, who most importantly has a good time in the proffession that you have chosen. In your time at college you will probably find more out, about yourself, and others then you ever expected to, but if you embrace change with time, you will learn and gain from all of your experiences. This is the most important thing to know. Take in everything, and become better because of it. You will meet many people and challenges, and as long as you remain true to your goals, and yourself you will rise to the top, and you will succede. There will be good and difficult times ahead, but these will be the best years of your life.

It's very important to visit the school you are interested in. If available, attend a pre-college program for high schoolers that may be offered as a preview of the college experience. If you are going to invest tremendous amounts of money in an art school, make sure that you are completely honest with yourself about what you want out of life and how good your work is. You don't have fantastic abilities when you apply, but you should definitely be very serious about your getting better. When attend school it is very important to remember not to take it for granted. It is a treasure, if you let it be. The attitude of the student has far more to do with how much they get out of their classes and their time than the assignments or instructor does. Make as many friends as you can, be open and tolerant to everyone you meet. Always be willing to give other students the benefit of the doubt and never, NEVER become party to gossip. One of the worst things you can do is let your college experience function the same way high school did. Just live truthfully.

Work as hard as your body and mind will allow. Get in the labs, everyday, and do your absolute best in there. No excuses. Stay inspired and create non-stop. Don't burn out. Know your limits. Take breaks when you need them but be sure you are taking them with the right intentions. Be one of the 10 folks who are in the labs on a Friday and Saturday night. Never feel down that you are missing the party or the bar. Be brave enough to sacrifice the college experience to milk your education for all it's worth. Respect those who believe otherwise, but don't let them drag you down. Meet, befriend and learn from folks who are better than you. Give your time to others who want and need it. Set realistic goals for yourself every day and don't sleep until you meet them. Learn, absorb, share, grow. Understand that no one will give it to you, you have to take it. Accept that your classmates are your competitors, but understand that iron sharpens iron. Anyone adding water to the bay makes all boats rise. Work together, bounce off each other, keep raising the bar.

Listen closely, I refuse to “beat around the bush” because I know you, you wouldn’t read it, but you have to pay attention, stop going around like you’re a deer in headlight. You are graduating soon and I know it’s exciting that you’re finally getting out, but I need you to push your parents more, whine, do whatever you need to take your SAT test; At least you can get through four before school ends. What are you going to do when you get home? Nothing! So start going to tutoring sessions, there’s a lot around our school and you definitely have time. Ask a teacher for help, I know Advance placement English literature probably wasn’t the best option, but it is okay your learning things that other people don’t, be proud of that. Another thing I cannot stress enough is scholarships-do all you can, don’t get lazy, go to the front office ask for that scholarship sheet. Scholarships are going to be your best friend because your tuition is not exactly cheap and your major has to do with a lot of printing. Start taking your education into your hands.

What I would tell my past self, from what I learn from 2 years in college. If I could talk to my past self in the 1st day of senior year in high school is to stay in the calculus class. It may be hard with no experince in trig, but at least you'll a better teacher than in trig, he insufferable. Besides that, about college life, I tell myself to quit thinking of being a video game delevoper and go with engineering. Why, my past self may ask, there are barely an transeferable class, if there still offering it. Plus what really the difference, you be taking the same amount of math and science courses anyways. So when selecting your classes pick the intro to engineering class, and hopefully if you can calculus class, because you'll need it for physics. Or wait for a semester and take both alegbra and trig classes. I would say, to get these calsses first with these teachers and makes sure to stay away from these teachers because they can barely teach at all, beleive me I had 2 of them. And its going to be hard, really hard but thats college.

I have received so much information, and insight, in the art world that it has allowed me to improve significantly in just my first semester. Being surrounded by so much talent has given me the drive to push myself harder and to excel with my drawings. One of the first things I learned very quickly was to not procastinate and to do my homework when I received it, versus waiting until the night before it was due. I've also learned that money doesn't grow on trees. With the cost of my education and living needs I am finding that money is very tight and it is amazing how far I am able to stretch $30. I was hoping to get work study but I wasn't able to, so I think all incoming freshman should think about finances and make sure they save money instead of buying cd's, video games, etc to help them survive their freshman year. Another important thing I've come to realize is that my parents are my support system and without them I wouldnt be sitting in these fascinating classes today. This education will allow me to live my dreams!