Rochester, NY
Saint John Fisher College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Saint John Fisher College

The best thing about this school is the community feeling that is always present on campus. Because it is a small school, you recognize almost everyone as you walk through the halls or quad, your professors greet you as you pass, and class sizes are relatively small with personalized attention if necessary. The campus is beautiful, and often the first reaction I get when I tell others I attend Fisher, or one of the first things I bring up about the school. The community and location is also something that is great about this school, it is located close to downtown Rochester as well as the nice, homey town of Pittsford where leaving campus to catch a movie or a bite to eat is easy and accessible. One of the things that other students and I would like to change is that Fisher focuses a lot on the popular majors--pharmacy, education, nursing--where majors with fewer students get less attention from the school's administration. The professors in these less popular subjects are still passionate and have a lot of knowledge to pass on though, which makes me enjoy classes more than I'd expected.

Fisher strives to promote diversity and works to expand it, but currently a majority of the students are white, upper-middle class, and are from the western New York area. A typical student would be seen in class wearing jeans, Uggs, and often a Fisher hoodie. This does not define all students though. Some on campus are wearing sweatpants or pajamas; others wear dresses or professional attire. This does not prevent different students from interacting though. While many groups of friends are very similar in style, people are not excluded because of their style. Everyone interacts amicably with others, and there is little discrimination. Fisher doesn't focus much on politics so students are not usually politically active or aware; focus is usually placed on sciences. Future income is a topic of discussion that comes up among students both in and out of classes, but usually this is only upperclassmen discussing money.

One of the major reasons I chose to attend Fisher was because of the small size of the campus and the classes. I am always able to get individual attention or meetings with my professors if I wish to, but it is not always necessary. Class participation is pretty common, and helps me develop a better understanding of the material. My favorite courses that I've taken have been in the English department, for my major, and a lot of this has to do with the professors and their knowledge and passion for teaching. The liberal arts aspect of the college requires students to take a lot of general classes that seem to be more "learning for its own sake," but classes for specific majors are geared toward getting a job, and professors are always willing to offer advice or help on this. Students discuss academically outside of class, but usually this discussion only pertains to their own majors, not the liberal arts or other elective classes.

The common stereotypes associated with students at Fisher are jocks, preps, and upper-middle class white students. These stereotypes are true of most at my school, but there is still a broad range of students that do not fit into these categories. Instead they are artsy, studious, or partiers. While Fisher is a small school, it still encompasses a huge variety of students with diverse interests and personalities, and that is part of what makes this school compatible with all kinds of prospective students.

Eric

Best thing: the small campus - if living in a dorm you can wake up ten minutes before class and get there on time Worst thing: the prices in the cafeteria. Having a meal plan is crucial but without one it becomes extremeley expensive - a Muscle Milk and Special K bar is just over $6 St. John Fisher has a very small campus (about 50 acres) and is perfect for getting around. You can walk from one end of campus (Murphy Hall) to the other (Skalny Science Center) in 10-15 minutes, not even. In terms of student size there is just under 3,000 undergraduates and though it is nice knowing everyone and seeing everyone it also becomes a nuissance having to not only see the same people over and over again but word spreads fast in a small school which is most usually never a good thing. When I tell people that I attend St. John Fisher they seem very impressed - maybe becuase of the reputation, the location, or the extremely high cost. Whatever it may be they think it is a very good school. Before I lived off campus I spent the overhwleming majority of my time in my dorm just because I was always surrounded by my friends, a fun enviroment, and surprisingly I was able to get work done there. There are four other colleges relatively close to St. John Fisher but there is not much to do on the weekends besides going downtown, at Fisher at least. The administration is 50/50. There are actually a great number of professors who really are there to help you in any way possible (the typical professors you associate with a small school) and then there are the handful who would be better situated in a large university teaching 300 students at a time. Because of the football team's surprising run to the NCAA Elite 8 in this year's playoffs I think there has been a surge in school pride. The most frequent complaint on campus is the parking which is very limited. Even though they increased some of the lots it can still be troublesome.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

St. John Fisher was not even on my radar until November of my senior year. Northeastern, Holy Cross, and Loyola Maryland were my top three choices and the only reason Fisher came up in discussions was because of lacrosse. I figured it would be cool to say that I competed at the NCAA level and that is the primary reason I chose Fisher. Fisher was more expensive and less attractive to me than the other three but like I said I wanted to play lacrosse. Fisher's location did not appeal to me because Rochester doesn't have much to offer and plus I wanted to just get out of Western New York, being from Buffalo; Boston is my favorite city and Baltimore is up there as well.

The most popular team on campus would be the football team and I say this simply because they are the largest - the team holds just over 100 kids. I really don't believe the clubs and organizations have a huge crowd. Freshman and sophomore year I left my dorm room open as it seemed to be the place where all of my friends got together to hang out. I think a lot more people kept ther door open freshman year just because they wanted to get to know people but as you get older less and less doors are open. In Keough, the junior dorm, I have yet to see a single door open. Ever since I got into a relationship at the end of last year I have been paying attention more and more to who is dating on campus and the answer is not many. I can only think of 7 or 8 couples off the top of my head. I met my closest friends freshman year because they lived on my floor all within 6 rooms of each other. It is a group of about 10 that has gotten bigger since frshman year but we all lived on the same floor. Also, some of my best friends came from being on the Lacrosse team If I am up at 2 a.m. on a Tuesday I am watching T.V. playing Call of Duty or actually doing homework. The weekends are what I assume to be normal for a college weekend. You'd be surprised at the number of students who decide to stay in. Thursday and Saturday nights are the biggest nights of the weekend and friday usually tends to be pretty slow. Wednesday nights, it seems, are getting more popular ech year. If you don't drink I am sure there is plenty of stuff to do around campus - there are always guest speakers, musicians, special guests, movies, and more going on so I am sure you'll find something. Sometimes If I can't drink one night I'll still go out and be DD. You can still go out and not drink - no one is going to pressure you. Again, we're all old enough to not really care about it. Off campus I go to local sports games like the Amerks, Red Wings, and even some high school games. There are a lot of stores, movie theatres, and the Eastview Mall to go to to kill some time. I also just hang out at my house a lot

There honestly is not a whole lot of diversity on campus in terms of race. The overwhelming majority of students are caucasian. With this being said Fisher does do a nice job coordinating with the other racial groups who set up their own clubs. Whether or not people attend these clubs, I don't know. Homosexuality is on campus but not prevalent and I don't think people really care. We're all old enough to be mature about the topic, or at least most of us are. A typical Dining hall table is actually pretty diverse. There are those that eat with the same group of people over and over again like the baseball team (which no one really lies), and the Plastic-like girls similiar to Mean Girls, if you will. The majority of students are from western and central New York. In order I believe it goes Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, and Buffalo. There are kids from Pennsylvania, NYC, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, one from Colorado, and I believe one from California.

Most professors know your name or maybe all of them do but some of them like to play it off like they don't. The majority are personable and friendly but there are a handful who I question why they becamse professors in the first place because they seem to have no interest in you, the class, or even their profession. My favorite classes are the creative writing courses whether it be fiction or non-fiction. My least favorite classes are the math courses. Luckily I only had to take one but math is not my subject and i barely passed the course. Class participation is common with some professors and not with others. It all really depends on how much the students like the professor and whether or not the professor engages them and keeps the course fun or if they drone on and on in a monotone voice. I am an English major with a dual minor in Business Management and Intenational Relations. I haven't dealt with the Business and International Relations departments as much as I have the English. In the English department many of the teachers are very welcoming and willing to help you out. Off the top of my head I can only think of one professor who comes off as very nice but is actually a you know what. The school has been regarded as "selective" but there are some kids enrolled that make you question what "selective" nowadays really is as there are students who somehow still struggle to read. Many of the classes, especially the core classes, are easy and one can get by doing minimal work. You would actually be surprised to overhear some of the conversations around campus and what they people involved are discussing. Some are extremely intellectual and others leave you wondering how on earth they got into college.

I think the primary stereotype of St. John Fisher College is that the school is filled with upper-class guys and girls who believe they are privileged over others. The college is located in Pittsford, NY one of the wealthiest towns in the state. Many of the other surrounding towns and neighborhoods in the greater Rochester area are wealthy as well and it is safe to say that the majority of students are from the Rochester area.This coupled with the high cost of tuition creates a stereotype that the students here are "snobs"

Chelsey

Every college has a flaw, in most cases more than one. Saint John Fisher balances its flaws with the overwhelming opportunity to work in one-on-one situations with the professors. Students are encouraged through these individual sessions to find their voice through their work; furthering their ideologies past graduation day and into the work force. The college is small, but a tight nit community in which professor devote time to ensuring their members receive the attention needed to succeed. In addition, the administration staff works for the well-being of the student by assisting and guiding them through the correct paper trails to graduate. A majority of my time is spent is the Mac computer lab because it is a central point of the college. Being in the Basil building, with a majority of the professors, permits me to work on papers while having the ability to access my professors on a frequent basis. The college is of Christian origin, which can put off prospective students who do not wish to associate themselves with a particular religion. However, I have found my experience at the college one that is absent of religion. It is the student's choice to bring religion into the mix, the college has no opinion either way. Even with its sister school, Nazareth college, right around the corner, the two schools form a small community within themselves encouraging the education of future minds without the pressure of religion. The largest controversy at Saint John Fisher is the course work. A majority of the undergraduate classes are simplistic to the point that students do not feel as though they are preparing for under level courses. The work load is fairly light at the beginning of the semester and escalates to a point that is almost unreasonable for students, such as myself, who work full time, in addition, to full time classes. There are few professors who assign major research papers which can be a hinderance when entering into Capstone courses who assign a 20-25 page paper. Without that experience in the past of completing at least a 15-20 page paper the task can be extremely challenging to the point of collapse. Even though there are flaws, the school spirit is not effected. Saint John Fisher college prepares its students as best as it can for real life obstacles. My internship this past year through the college is something I will always recall because it prepared me to except that a college classroom is not the same as a job. They are extremely different. Students appreciate that opportunity to learn first hand. Therefore, overal the college is good match for students who desire to travel, gain the experience of internships and the one-to-one student/professor relationship.

I don't have the time for school groups. That I must be blunt with. I use to be the president of my class back in high school, in addition, to being head of the art club and model UN. Those programs don't seem so important anymore in college. Most of the kids I see are jockeys. Football plays shaving their heads in unity while sketching their jersey number on their scalp. It is a community, within a community. The games are the highlight of the school functions. Applause and so much support for Fisher athletes. There are after parties naturally, the dorm halls are lined with students celebrating recent victories. Kids leaving doors open, inviting friends in. Friends from classes, associates of friends; creating a mixer type environment. It is through these events that hookups and dating begin. When I say hookups, I mean just sex. The unspoken truth about college. You get drunk in your dorm, sleeping with the guy or girl that wanders in and forget about it the next day. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have seen or heard of that happening. It was a hot topic in my Anthropology of Sex class. Saturday nights are not full devoted to drinking though. Given that school provides rides to local plaza's and the mall it extends the opportunity to get outside of the school and go to the movies, the mall, to the bookstore to get coffee, just to wander and enjoy the relaxation time. I frequently go to Pittsford plaza to the theater, catching up on movies because it involves stepping outside my own life and into someone elses.

About two semesters ago, I took an Anthropology class entitled Anthropology of Sex. Next to my Rhetoric of Hate, this was by far one of the most engaging and enjoyable classes I have every taken before in my class career. It exposed the cruelty of the world and how so many people are labeled. This is why I do not care for stereotypes or things of that nature; I'd rather be my own person without that association to another group. This why I enjoy Fisher. They host a drag show every year to encourage open sexuality, deflecting the prejudice nature of most of the world. The only students I see who feel out of place are the ones who have to work full-time because they are ones who are already working in the labor force. It is a jealous factor, at least for me, I have to work before and after classes just to survive yet there are students who have never even had a job. I've worked since I was 16. Being a supporter of the Democratic party I suppose it wasn't a surprise to see most of the students supporting Republicans. I don't judge them, and they don't judge me. It is not their fault they are wealthier; they are kind enough to not flaunt it or brag how much they will make one day and how they will not have student loans. Most students wear pajama's to be honest. Sweatpants from the school store demonstrating school spirit and comfort. Ugg boots, victoria secrets sweatpants, with the matching top for the girls. Sneakers, Fisher sweats and a hoodie for the boys. Relaxing environment I must say.

Classes range in regards to student/professor ratio. This is a primary factor in relation to the student/professor relationship. I have a Human Animal for my Anthropology major which has 32 students in it, this hinders the professor from devoting any decent amount of time to individual students. The few times I have gone to go see her, she has a line with at least two others in it. Especially considering she is only on campus three days a week before 2. Opposed to my Rhetoric of Hate class, which has 13 students in it, I was able to meet with the professor weekly. Doctor Bowman is my primary advisor in the English Department. I meet with him on average twice a week to discuss grad. school, capstone papers, rhetorical ideologies within the world.This greatly increased my ability to succeed in his class, in addition, to all my classes. Smaller classes also increase the frequency students participate. I have an African American Literature class which has 6 students in it, myself included, and the entire class is discussion. Granted, when there is so much discussion few students study outside of class because they find themselves developing concepts and ideologies within the class which normally that time is devoted to lecture. Someone telling you what to believe. Students are competitive to an extent. In lower level classes its more dominant and I found as I moved up to the 300/400 level courses that competitive nature started to dissipate. I am always competitive; therefore, I was not effected.

The primary stereotype at Saint John Fisher college is preppy. A majority of the students which attend this institution do not pay for their education because they come from well bred families. Family structures which can afford the luxury of permitting their child(ren) to become a professional full-time student. Thus, this allows students the time and energy to engage in extra curricular activities.Therefore, even though a majority of the students are associated with the preppy stereotype, this is a singular lens which extends outward into multiple identities. However, the students of this college are not defined by a stereotype. They embrace the opportunity craft their own identity which is the college's primary objective.

Skye-Raven

Personally, I love everything about Fisher. We are on a small campus, but that makes everything and every place accessible within five minutes or less. The school does a wonderful job with giving the students their own places to hang out and giving them rides off of campus so that they are not confined to it if they do not have a car. The Student Government Association always has events planned on campus for all types of students and interests. There is always some event going on on campus so that there is never a dull or boring day. My favorite event that SGA has had this current semester is the Blizzard Bash. There were cookie and ornament making stations as well as a photo booth and live performances by a few of the clubs on campus. Santa Claus also made an appearance that night so everyone could make sure that he knew what was on their Christmas list. It was a great way to unwind before finals.

What are your classes like?

My classes are very fun. They are intellectually challenging and prompt me to interact with my classmates a lot. The subject matter so fun to learn and the professors really love what they do so it makes it that much more enjoyable. Most require a lot of work, but it's nothing too difficult to handle.

The most popular activities on campus are the sporting events. They are free to all students and a great place to meet new people and hang out with old friends. SGA also holds dozens of events each semester for students to participate in activities and win fun prizes. Fisher has a plethora of academics clubs and also clubs for every type of hobby. It is also very easy to create a club of your own if Fisher does not already have one. Fisher Players is the theater group on campus and they hold a play/musical every semester, as well as talents shows and cabarets. Probably the most attended event Fisher has is the Super Smash Brothers Brawl tournament every semester. Students gather in the Campus Center Mainstage to play Super Smash Brother against each other for a chance to win a great grand prize. For those students who like to go out on weekends, Fisher is only ten minutes away from 18+ nightclubs like Tilt in the city of Rochester and also from Eastview Mall and Pittsford Plaza for those that just just want to hang around the nearby towns (a shuttle service is provided every weekend).

The Fisher community is very accepting of all types of students on campus. There are clubs for students for whom religion plays a big part in their lives. Fisher also has a Gay/Straight Alliance club on campus that is very active in making Fisher an inclusive community. We also have a Young Voters club for students who are politically active. Most of Fisher's population is made up of students from all over New York State and we have students from out of state and abroad as well. The college offers a lot of financial aid opportunities to students to make the college affordable to everyone. Fisher makes sure that every student is welcome and has access to what they need, be is health care at The Wellness Center, tutors, help for students with disabilities, or just someone to talk to.

All of Fisher's programs are very challenging, but professors are always willing to offer help if it is needed. They have office hours where students can go in to talk with them and also make a large effort to be available by appointment if students can not make office hours. Classes are generally small so all of the professors know who their students are and can recognize them even when their classes are over. Fisher's core requirements make sure that all students get the same amount of base knowledge in the areas of languages, social perspectives, technology, and cultural perspectives. There is also an extensive Service Learning section of courses so that students can get involved in their community. Each program of study has its only very detailed set of requirements to prepare the students for the careers they want. Each program of study also has electives so that students are able to take classes that interest them. As an adolescent education major, I feel that my courses are preparing me very well for a career as a teacher, but also give me enough choices to keep me interested in what I am studying.

The stereotype that St. John Fisher College students have is that they are very friendly and hard working. All of our academic programs are challenging, but your classmates are always willing to help with assignments and projects. You can walk around campus and expect a hello and a smile from everyone you see. Our school is also a very sports oriented one so there are a lot of sports people on campus, but there are no "clicks." Everyone is very friendly and willing to lend a hand if you need it. Fisher is also a very accepting community that makes sure there is something everyone can be involved in on campus.

I've made some wonderful connections while here at school, including friends, professors, and other networking contacts. The people I know are very supportive of my decisions when it comes to where I am heading with my life. If it wasn't for their love and support, I wouldn't be who I am today. Overall, college has helped me grow into a more confident and driven individual and I am thankful for the opportunity to attend such a wonderful institution.

I love how accessible the faculty are: they have really helped me with my school work and my personal life whenever an issue comes up. Their willingness to help students outside of the classroom has made a major impact on my decision to remain at this university throughout my college career.

It is cheaper, personally, for me to attend this out of state college than it would be for me to attend a state school in my own state. Financial aid is pretty decent here.

Kristen

St. John Fisher College is a neighborly community with academic, athletic, career, and overall prosperity as an ultimate goal of the students, faculty, and alumni.

On our first day of college, an esteemed professor lectured the entire freshman class on what they could expect throughout their first semester; he mentioned that students who earned an A average throughout their high school career should not be disappointed if that was not the case this upcoming semester. In fact, he told us to not expect many A's at the end of the semester at all. I finished my entire freshman year on Dean's list, with a 3.9 GPA in both fall and spring semester. College has taught me determination. Throughout my freshman and sophomore year, thus far, I have learned to balance an intense academic schedule, cheerleading squad, a part-time job, RSA floor representative, co-founder of - Students Against Interpersonal Violence- a new campus organization, NRHH nominee, and family, friends, and a significant other. College has taught me organization, time management, and prioitization. Overall, college has allotted me the time and opportunity to grow into the fullest potential of a productive community member possible. St. John Fisher College has helped me find and navigate the right path to my graduate work, my career in Psychology, and my successful life as an adult.

I consider the worst thing about my school to be the lack of female atheltic opportunites and respect for prospective female students. St. John Fisher College has an enormous football program, constituting approximately 5% of the entire undergraduate population. The male basketball, baseball, and lacrosse programs follow closely. Yet female athletes do not receive nearly as much respect from athletic trainers as their male counterparts, nor do they receive equal funding for athletic programs specialized for female athletes such as cheerleading, dance, and gymnastics. Both men and women possess equal athletic capabilities. Therefore, they should receive equal funding and respect.

Holly

I have gained many valuable experiences at St. John Fisher College. I have learned how to cope with my learning disability by attending St. John Fisher College. I have also learned that it is okay to ask teachers questions and receive help when I don't understand something. The professors are always there to help whenever possible. I have learned a lot about diversity and religion by attending this school which is really beneficial because I will be working with all different kinds of people once I graduate from school. I have taken Ethics classes and church and culture classes, which I probably would have never taken if I had gone to a different school. I have learned how to maintain friendships and make new friends while attending school. I have learned to balance school loads and work hours so that I am not doing too much at one time. All of these things have helped me become the person that I am today. Without attending college, I wouldn't be where I am right now and I am so glad that I chose St. John Fisher College as my school.

The parking is terrible at St. John Fisher College. If you have a class that starts at 11 and you don't live on campus, you have to get to school at about 9am in order to find a parking spot. The school spent a lot of money on building a "welcome" center building... they should have built a parking lot there instead.

Someone who is willing to take all different kinds of classes. Religion, language, business, and other such classes. Fisher likes to maintain a diverse course load. This person should also be friendly and work driven because Fisher is a tough school focused on achieving acedemic and career goals for their students.

Gregory

St. John Fisher College is known for it's small, beautiful campus with great study programs and majors that can apply to any and all students. The professors care about their students and always have time for one-on-one help with any of their students. There are exceptional schools of business and nursing within the college which make for great options for the students. Also, the Division III athletics are above average with football being a main attraction for the community and also the students.

My college experience has been exceptional in that I have learned a lot and met a lot of new people. With it being a private school, the costs are high and I need a little help to stay enrolled at this school to continue the great experience I am currently having. I have learned to cope with what the outside world has to offer with being around new people and learning to take responsibility into my own hands as far as school work, part-time work, and athletics. I like to think it's valuable to attend college for a few reasons. One, you get the chance to learn about what you want to accoomplish in your life and what interests you as far as a career when you exit the college environment. Also, you get to expand your network to people that may have job opportunities waiting for you that fit your interest and caliber. Finally, I believe that college will suit me very well and give me the jump start to learning about my future, as well as life lessons to bring with me throughout my life.

I say that it's a small school, which means you know just about everyone in your graduating class and most of the others as well. Also, with the Buffalo Bills holding training camp at my school, we get top of the line training equipment and meals from the dining halls. All in all, my school is a great atmosphere that many can adapt to with many fun activities constantly going on to catch your interest.

I feel that I was very prepared for entering the college world. If I could go back and give myself any advice, however, I think I would tell myself to have more fun. I spent a lot of my senior year worrying about grades and money and how it would affect my college of choice. I also spent a lot of time on homework. I would tell myself to take things one day at a time - you can't change what you don't know so go with the flow. It's important to stop and smell the roses and not get caught up in issues that you're going to be faced with soon enought anyway - worrying never fixed anything. I would tell myself to go out and enjoy life, live it up, spend time with friends because you're all going to part ways and nothing will be the same after that. Most importantly, I would tel myself to live for the moment more... I wish I had done that - time flies by faster than anyone every imagines; you blink and it's gone.

St. John Fisher is a school based on opportunity for all. The staff and faculty are all so accomodating and helpful but they're not going to hold your hand and coddle you - they are going to treat you as if you were already out into the "readl world." Fisher encourages students to pursue their dreams and does everything possible (for those who are willing to work hard) to prepare students for the job market or for grad school.

St. John Fisher College lacks an exorbitant amount of diversity - espeically for it's proximity to the city of Rochester. There is less than 20% diversity on campus and I think it would be beneficial to all - students, faculty, and even perspective students and the community - if there were more diversity (racial, ethnic, religious, cultural, sexual).

Saint John Fisher College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.