San Francisco State University

« See more reviews of San Francisco State University

Like many high school students, I constantly looked for ways to save time and effort. I chose shorter paths that cut through the trees, read the CliffsNotes instead of the entire book, and crammed for tests rather than studying diligently throughout the semester. If I could advise my high school self, I would explain that true shortcuts are nonexistent. The knowledge obtained from earnest study rather than frantic learning is deep and lasting. As your studies become more focused, the strong foundation of past learning is invaluable. Without background knowledge, you will eventually need to recover lost information. And trust me, re-teaching yourself can be a long and painful process! Learning builds upon learning. Someday, you will want and need long-term retention of your education. Additionally, the long road supports meaningful relationships and experiences. Lasting friendships and significant endeavors require time and effort. In these matters, shortcuts are impossible. Academic and social success comes with the price of persistence, hard work, and self-discipline. Managing time wisely does not mean accomplishing more in less time. Rather, it means choosing to do worthwhile activities with significant people in the time that you have. Do not shortcut your college life!

The advice I would give students about finding the right college is to consider more than just academics. While the primary purpose for attending college is to learn and attain practical skills and knowledge necessary for a future career, students will be spending a significant amount of their time on the campus doing more than sitting in a classroom and studying. College is an experience, and potential college students should take into account the whole college environment when choosing the right one for themselves. The student population, quality of campus life, and recreational activities are just a few aspects of that environment that they should think about when making their decision. As for making the most of the college experience, students should take advantage of the services, events, and activities offered. Colleges put on graduate school fairs and offer job advising, extracurricular activities, and sports. In addition to receiving mentoring and making connections with possible future employers, students can also make new friends, get involved on campus and in the surrounding community, and have fun. College is a young adult's first opportunity to experience freedom and take the first step towards growing into an independent, educated, well-rounded individual.

To parents seeking to find the right colleges as well as college experiences for their children, I would say that they should consider some factors before enrolling their children into colleges. They should consider the behavoir of their children, the academic performances of their children, extracurricular activities available to students, academic resources available to students, and attitudes of the professors and students in the colleges. Parents that are raising up badly behaved and academically poor children may choose to balance the choice of their children's colleges with the behavior/perfomance of their children. A good advice for these parents will be for them to choose colleges that are less focused on social life, but more focused on academics, and counseling bad behaviour through campus activities. The most important criterial for students or parents looking for the right colleges and college experiences is the attitude of the professors. Some professors are so demanding academically and stressful to students. These professors make topics that are easy to be very difficult to understand, thus this can creates situations whereby students are in chaos and most students could hardly get involeved in campus activites as a result.

Being in College as a disabled person, has given me more confidence and mental growth than ever. Just in my first semester I have learned to challenge and question facts that were previously given to me as a child and youth. My love of education has also expanded tremendously. I have learned that being a college student requires much discipline, bravery, faith and intelligence. I have to be brave in order deal with the obstacles of being learning disabled and financially challenged in a university setting. Faith in God and myself is what has motivated me to continue achieving my educational goals at San Francisco State University. Attending a college university has taught to a strict amount of discipline in my work ethic I have learned that in order for me to get good grades I have to devote many long hours to homework, attending classes and going to tutor. Along with being disciplined, having a strong faith in God and myself and being brave , I have to be very intelligent . In order for instructors recieve my intellect I must show them through the assignments that they give me that I am intelligent.

In finding the "right" college, there is an undeniable amount of pressure and weight involved in the decion-making process. This stress may be conveyed by the parents, the student, or both- regardless, it is important to reassess the reality of the situation and to hone the emotional stress as something beneficial. Your college choice should not be seen as your life's ultimate defining decision, the end all be all of your future career. Rather, it should be seen as an exciting time of personal enrichment, a valuable phase of your emotional, educational, and intellectual development. In choosing the best college for yourself, consider how the institution will add to all these aspects of your development. Just because the school fits your academic criteria, it may not cultivate your creative goals -or vice versa. The decision comes through tuning into your own instinct and logic. Instinctually, you have to decipher if the college supplies an environment that compliments you as an individual. And logically, you need to consider if the college supplies the tools that you need to reach your future career goals. Together, your instinct and logic will lead you to the best choice in a college.

If given the wonderful oppurtunity to turn the cstrokes of time. I would take a step into history right before it proceeds to fold into itself in my college years, I would sum up important factors in five words: dedication, irreplacable, academics, individulity, growth. These five words respesent my previous college experiences as well as my current. I would talk to myself as the older sister I never had. I would first speak of the imporatance of dedication. How with dedication anything is possible. With dedication walls that were once put into place to stop or slow a student down can and will collapse. I would then speak of the irreplacable moments and true friends college can bring. As well as the importance of being young and enjoying because it all will not last always and because of that, the moment in time is irreplacable and taking advantage of every oppurtunity is highly important. Many believe the most important aspect of college is academics, I disagree entirely. Although an extremely important aspect individuality and personal growth will take one much farther in life. I would then like to conclude with always always always do your very best no matter what!

The college years, a constant nostalgic interlude from all your favorite Uncle's. They're remembering wild parties, but for me attending college hasn't been about the "scene." College has been very interpersonal, self exploratory and enlightening. While my fellow students have opened my eyes to diverse perspectives and lifestyle choices, it is the professors who have really made a profound impact on me. College is a maximum life enhancer which has been one of the most valuable experiences in my experience. Learning is the first step to freedom. Once we begin to learn new information and how to think critically, the ways to apply the knowledge becomes limitless. Studying nonverbal communication, philosophy of religion and western perspectives of holistic health, some of my favorite classes, have given me a key to my own mind. Providing insight on all the possibilities, I owe my positive growth to the learning of new materials. Specifically, I have my college professors to thank. They have been an indespensible reminder that you can really do what you love and be succesful as well. For me, being a college student has been one of the most valuable experiences of my life. conclusion

If I could rewind the hands of time and travel back to my senior year of high school, I would advise myself not to fall ill to the serious epidemic of senioritis. Throughout the course of my high school career I was able to sustian an impeccable academic performance, but then second semester senior year comes along and when my work ethic should have been at its peek, I became ill with senioritis. Senioritis is the decreased motivation toward studies dispayed by students nearing the end of high school. My main symptoms of senioritis were chronic procrastination, lack of motivation, a drop in academic performance, and coasting through classes. I was fed up with high school because in my mind I had achieved my overall goal of high school, which was being admitted into a four year university. Experiencing a semester of college life and knowing what I know now about the work load and stress thrust upon college students, I know that there is no room for procrastination and bad work ethic. College is about being motivated to acquire knowledge, and excellent academic performance, and it's going to take hardwork and dedication to be academically successful.

Each college has a very differnt social and learning environment. The best way to choose a school is to narrow down your choices and when it comes time to visit those schools visit the classes and interact with the student body. Getting to know the campus life and teaching experiences that each school has to offer can have a profound effect on each persons decision. Schools may have prestigious reputations but if it is not the right social and learning environment it can make college a horrible experience. Attending a lecture and getting to know the students can give each person insight into the expereince a school can offer. Once a a person has found a school they like they have to find the right balance of social and learning experiences. If a new or continuing student spends all of their time studying they can easily find their lives will be very stressful. Though the point of college is an education, an equally important aspect of college are the social skills and relationships forged. Having a good balance between a social life and studying will make for a less stressful learning environment and create relationships that last a lifetime.

After high school graduation, like many other eighteen year olds, I left home to attend a large state university. Throughout college, I gave little thought to my future, and subsequently chose to major in Finance, a career field I cared little for. Since college, I have worked in the financial industry with lackluster enthusiasm. Two years ago, I made the life changing decision to go back to college and pursue another degree in nursing. Since I have become a full time nursing student, I have gained a new perspective regarding adult education. My first experience in college was full of parties, socializing, and sororities. Today, my priorities are quite different than they were at eighteen. As a student now, my life is very different from the carefree time I spent at the university. I study all the time. In fact, if I do not have any early classes on a particular day, I can usually be found in the library studying. However, I do not dread the time I spend with my books. I now understand the importance of working hard to achieve my educational goals. The decisions I make today reflect a stronger work ethic than did previously.