Scripps College

« See more reviews of Scripps College

As you look to college, recognize that the college experience is as much about learning about yourself as it is about book learning. Enjoy the opportunity to explore diverse topics; don’t limit yourself to your major courses. You will meet different people this way, make friends, hone your ability to talk about a variety of subjects, and develop skills that may play an unexpected role later in life. You will be surprised to learn how much creativity is involved in science, how strategy used in sports plays a part in the boardroom and developing business strategies and tactics. Elective classes may lead you to your passion…perhaps resulting in you developing the next new hot business. Don’t take yourself too seriously, be diligent when necessary, do great work, and enjoy your college life. Believe in yourself, don’t hesitate to ask for help, dare to venture outside of your comfort zone in terms of who you say hello to and what interests you pursue, but stay safe. Look out for yourself. Be aware of your surroundings. Meet as many people as you can and learn from them, teachers, students, staff…there is something to be learned from all.

Those who attend college are better prepared for life’s challenges and are able to make a viable contribution to their community and society as a whole. I decided to attend college to be able to interact with other people from different cultures and value systems other than my own. This would give you a broad perspective of how diverse the world really is, but also how much we are alike and what we all have in common, which is a thirst for knowledge.The idea behind going to college is to challenge self first and to put self in a position that would bring the greatest satisfaction, which is self gratification upon completion of a degree. Many people who have gone on to be successful entrepreneurs went to college to realize their full potential. This means that you too would have to become degreed to compete with peers and other generations. If you want to be taken seriously about career endeavors and respected for achieving your own goals and objectives as well as the goals and objectives of a future employer. Attending college is a way for you to utilize your mind and to sharpen your critical thinking skills.

I would give my completely shocked self a hug. Then I would proceed to say: "Dear Giselle, you need to understand that though you are escaping a bad situation at home for a better one in college, you are NOT going to have the same college experience as everyone else. You do not come from the same background, financially, emotionally or educationally. You do not have the same support system that they do. But just because you are coming from a harder place does not mean they get to make you feel that you are worth any less, no matter your g.pa.. You've made it this far because you are a brilliant minded person with a lot of character and strength, and you should not let anyone - teacher or student - make you feel any differently. You are going to confront more obstacles than you thought, especially because Scripps College promised to be a home, but will more often manifest itself as a snobby, undiversified student body, anchored by a bureaucracy that wants you to feel appreciative of the pittance they give. Despite the many heartaches, you need to remember: everything will be okay in the end. I promise."

Fit: A word that has recently been tossed around as important when applying to college; an important criterion. How does one know what fits? Both empirical and intuitive forces can help to determine what is right for a certain individual. When both are considered, the holistic viewpoint is worthy of a choice. However, sometimes it is just one that can help you choose. If intuitively a student hates the ?feel? of a campus the moment he/she walks on it, this is of significance and not something to be understated. Fit is about comfort and more than comfort. A student applying to college should listen to what is important to them personally. I want to stress the benefit of visiting colleges before applying. Even if you do not want to get attached somewhere you may not get in, without sacrificing this potential feeling, you will never know what other campuses have to offer that you may not have considered. I will leave you with insight I learned. After ruling out an all women?s college, I visited a friend who went to Scripps and then loved the entire night. Now I am here, and I love my choice.

For parents: Parents need to realize that it is their child that is going to be living at the school, and not them. They should offer opinions about financial issues and academic goals. However, when it comes to setting and social life, the students should be able to make that decision for themselves. The parents should not make their child feel pressured about choosing a school. For students: Focus on thinking about where you want to live for 4 years and what kind of people you want to meet. College is an amazing opportunity to build friendships and gain extensive amounts of knowledge. Don't focus on social activities. Drinking, and parties will always be there. Focus on what will make you happiest and make for a good educational experience. To make the most of your college experience, you must try to take classes you are interested in and become a well-rounded individual. Try new things, this is your only chance. Find something you love and continue to build on it. Do not feel pressured by the future. Focus on the now and appreciate every day that you spend at school. Good luck!

The first thing I would advise any prospective student is to think about colleges not just as your potential school, but also as your life for the next four years. It's not a simple decision, and any choice should be make not only on academic merit or finanial viability; it should also be made on social and comfort level factors. One of the best starting points for this is considering what size of school you are looking for and what sort of academic atmosphere you are looking for (i.e. challenging but non-competative, cut-throat). With these cut your list down to no more than ten. More than that is too difficult to really get to know each school. The second piece of advice I have is trust the schools' admissions processes. They know what type of student are looking for and I believe that if a school does not accept you it is usually simply because they don't think it's best for you and you shouldn't stress about it. There is another school out there that is better for you. Lastly, remember you are interviewing the school as much as they are interviewing you.

Hey Rosh, I have some extremely important advice to give you. As a current college student, I have five words to say which will completely change your attitude about college: DON'T STRESS ABOUT YOUR COMFORTER! I know that in your mind, your comforter symbolizes so much more than just something to keep you warm at night. You think that the other girls will judge your character based on the color and style of your comforter. You think that if your comforter is so cheesy or boring that nobody will want to be friends with you. Let me stress this one more time, nobody will care! You will make so many friends regardless of your choice. I do not want you to spend hours browsing various bedding sites and obsessing over the shade of pink. I want you to go to ONE website and make your decision based on how you feel in the moment. I do not want you to channel your anxiety about college into your comforter. How can I be so confident? Because I have already experienced this transition and know that you will do so well and transition so smoothly. I am so proud of you.

College is a lot different than high school. Your freshman experience will definitely make an impression on you. Without doubt, though, the most dramatic freshman year is for those living away from home. What can you expect as you head off into the wonderful world of higher education? The first thing you'll notice is the workload. It will be heavier and more intense than you ever experienced before. The major challenges of college work are the large volume of reading, the short deadlines, and the writing, writing, writing. You'll be away from the comforts and friendships your home provided for you over the previous years. But you'll be making a lot of new friends. Believe it or not, your college friendships will be among the most satisfying and long-term of your life. It's always exciting to discover how wonderfully diverse college relationships can be. You may even start to think about your future. Be on the lookout for role models. Going to college is as much about finding out who you really are as it is about getting that degree.

Pick a school that you think you will be happy attending - ambition and drive will only get you so far if you're miserable. College is important - but not as important as your happiness. In order to get the most out of your college education pick a school that will motivate you, push you, support you, and make you happy. Think about what's important to you. Do you like your moms home cooking? Then look for a school that has good food. Do you love swimming? Then make sure the schools that you're applying to have a pool. Do you hate the rain? Then maybe you shouldn't be looking at colleges in the Pacific Northwest! Think about the school's location, class size, student body, political views etc. Make sure they offer the majors you're interested in! Look at the clubs, sports teams, and outdoor activities that are offered. Browse the course catalog. Take a tour of the campus so you can get an idea of what it would be like to live there. Most importantly, try not to leave any details out - because transferring is a hassle.

Don't go to the school that's supposed to be best for you -- research the heck out of all of your options. Take location into account in your decision, but I advise against picking a college based on which state or region it is in. Look at the area of the campus and the place you will be living and hanging out around for the next 2-4 years of your life. Also, make sure to pick a place that focuses on your tentative major, because many people cannot get into specific major classes if they are not a main focus of the school. In addition, you really can't tell (in my opinion) whether you will like the college or not until you have visited it. I never knew anything about Scripps College until I went with my parents while touring California, and after a quick interview and walk around the campus I knew I wanted to go here. Once in college, join as many activities as you can. Not because you're interested in the subject, even--do it just to meet a few new people, if nothing else. This ultimately makes college what it should be.