Seton Hall University

« See more reviews of Seton Hall University

The "higher-ups" are VERY Catholic and conservative, focusing more on pleasing donors than students. The strongest programs receive a lot of attention (diplomacy, business, basketball) taking away from other programs (the arts). At orientation, the diplomacy students are told they are of a higher caste and will have dominion over the world, causing panic when political office is not included in their diploma package. Professors are hit or miss in terms of their desire to help students, ranging from ideological hatred to extra-curricular partnerships. Although seemingly diverse, classes are filled with white students from New Jersey.

The worst aspect about Seton Hall University is its location. While it's only a 35 minute train ride into New York City, it costs $13.50 roundtrip. This dissuages most students from visiting the city, who instead opt for staying within South Orange. While SO is quite the picturesque town, the criminal violence in neighboring Newark has started to seep into SO. Students usually get an email alert every month, which describes the usual gunpoint theft and violence students experience. Students are thus left stranded within campus walls after dark and usually end up having uneventful nights.

Seton Hall University is an excellent school to attend, but it is by far perfect. The staff, faculty and students are all welcoming and the education that the students receive is distributed by highly intelligent specialists in their fields, but the area which the school is located is the worst thing about the school. SHU is right in the middle of a bad neighborhood but there are special transportation services available, so that nobody has to walk anywhere off campus. Although the location itself is not good, SHU still came up with a solution with the transportation services.

The cafeteria. Lunch and dinner are the same menu. There is no healthy choice option. It's french fries, burgers, and pasta on a regular basis. They have a Wok station, but it does not compare to the real thing. I want to see more options, such as a Mediterranian station, better salad options, and more fruit available. I doubt that the dishes are washed properly; one time my fork had orange mush on it. The school prides itself on being "a home for the mind, body, and spirit". With the food options, it is detrimental to the body.

Having to live here, and go to school here. Professors will often come to class late and unprepared, and scold students for the same behavior. 90% of classes are direct out of the text book. Administration is a joke, trying to get anything accomplished in under a few months is impossible. The only social activities are frat parties or hiding from RA's in your dorm. Everyone here jokes about being an alcoholic-not the l"ook how much I can drink kind," the "oh my god life is so terrible, why did I choose Seton Hall" kind.

The administration is unwilling to work with the students on subjects that matter to them. We have argured with the University for free laundry facilities and have been unsuccessful for years. Also, if you have a problem with registration and financial aid there office in Bailey Hall always seems to pass the problem off and give you the run around. You really need someone from the Deans office on your side when you have a problem. You need to know people high up to get things moving if you're having problems.

The one thing that I consider the worst aspect about my school is the parking. It is horrendous in the morning and the nightmare of trying to find a spot continues into early afternoon. Don't get me wrong...Seton Hall is putting good use of the money it is receiving from the students' tutions to good use with the making of new parking lots and other projects, but most of the time it gets to a person when he/she has to park on the side of the street with his/her classes on the other side of campus.

The worst thing about Seton Hall University is that lack of school spirit and devotion by its students. The school is very much a commuter school and by this I mean that most students attend for academic purposes only, so when the weekend arrives they all go home (typically somewhere in New Jersey) about their business. For someone like myself who comes to New Jersey from Baltimore, Maryland, it is unfortunate to be on a generally vacant campus from week to week.

The food. If you go on a tour, they praise the cafeteria and the options available. It's even raked as one of the best cafeterias. But I find that it's the same food choices everyday, with limited options. Yes we have a Wok-It-Up station and a Tex-Mex, but if you are in a rush and don't have time to make your own food, it's unhealthy and bland. They also serve too mich meat, not enough fish and it's the same menu for lunch and dinner. I'd lkie to see better food.

There's next to nothing to do on weekends. Most people go home, except for the out of state students. The food here is also good for about the first three weeks that you're here, and then it is absolutely terrible. If you can survive slow weekends and bad food, you'll be ok, but the slow weekends thing has to be the worst. You just don't want to be there on weekends because there is nothing to do.