Soka University of America Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Soka University of America

Tomo

Liberal arts education here has helped me look at the world from many different points of view. I have also developed critical and creative thinking and communication skills. Small class size helps us actively engage in learning through class discussion. Also, it is easier here to reach out to professors (Student/faculty ratio is 8:1), and they help your learning with passion and kindness. You can find your favorite professors and make strong connections with them. You could even create an independent study with a professor where you can learn the subject you like with a full support of a professor. In addition, we have such a diverse and small student body, which allow you to meet and work with people from different backgrounds and learn from each other. You can make friendships beyond boarders. We also have mandatory study abroad, which gives you a chance to grow as a global citizen. Also, SUA is very student-centered, so students take responsibility of their learning and campus life, and professors, administrators, staff fully support them. As long as you have a will to learn, SUA offers a lot of resources for you.

Akemi

I am currently a first year student here at Soka and I am absolutely enjoying my new chapter as a college student. I knew Soka would let me learn about myself where other school wouldn't. I want to find what I am truly passionate about through going to a Liberal Arts school and exploring myself. It has only been 4 months since I moved in and started my class, but what I want to do after I graduate is already molding together and I am excited how much I'm going to grow in the coming 4 years.

ya chien

The school is nice and comfy, even though it is small. The students in the university are from all around the world-- 32 countries and 25 states. There are many international students, so we can learn a lot of different cultures and background from different students. Everyone in the school is so nice and caring. There are four languages for us to choose from-- Chinese, French, Spanish, and Japanese. And after two years of learning, in our junior year, we can go to study abroad. It is really an unique experience.

Hinako

I have been studying here at Soka University of America for a year and half and absolutely love it. Every aspect of this university is my favorite, but on top of that, I really like how Soka offers academics to its students. One of the great characteristics is small class size (average class size: 12 students). Small classes rely on students’ participation a lot, so we definitely need to fully prepare for each class to discuss subject matter and bring up questions. This hard work enables me to improve my learning process and deepen my critical thinking. Outside of classrooms, we can easily reach out to professors. Each professor has his or her office hours in which students can feel free to ask questions. This one-on-one communication means a lot to me because I am able to really understand subject matter, study more about it, and find my interests. I appreciate the education offered by this university.

Min

I'm currently a first-year international student from Nepal enrolled at Soka University of America. Soka is a great liberal art college with students from over 40 nations of the world. It has a small student body, which facilitates interaction with professors within and outside the classroom. The interdisciplinary education and diverse community of Soka provide students with an ability to view things from a broader perspective. What I particularly like about Soka is its unique program called Learning Cluster that takes place during the month of January. A Learning Cluster is a research seminar where students work in teams with faculty facilitators to investigate a specific question. It helps in bridging theory and practice, and evoke an educated outcome. Apart from its great education, Soka is aesthetically gifted with a beautiful campus and natural beauty of the surrounding canyon. It's a great place to visit and take a walk!

Stan

Not only is Soka an outstandingly beautiful campus, but the facility is really genuinely devoted to an eye-opening student experience. Its flaws lie almost exclusively in its small size, which make for rather limited academic and extracurricular programs, but the school is still young, and plans to expand. No school is comparable to Soka.

Dylan

I like Soka because of the small class size and close relationship with the faculty. The average class size is 12, and professors always encourage the students to come to their office to deepen their understanding of the class materials. Because of this environment, you have to do homework and cannot skip classes. Studying at Soka, I cannot believe that in other schools, students can skip classes or come to the class without having done homework. These behaviours are not seen in the Soka culture, where students strive to become true global citizens.

Sachiyo

Financial aid is amazing here at SUA. It is given to both domestic and international students, and full tuition is available for students whose annual family income is $60,000 or less. Students are required on campus, but not mandatory. Residential halls are spacious, clean, and safe. The 1st year students share a room and a bathroom with another roommate. From the 2nd year, students are able to have their own space, connected by a common space and sharing a bathroom with another roommate. It is great that we have our own bathroom in each room.

k

SUA is a seriously wonderful place. You can not only learn in class but outside since SUA has great diversity. W have the highest international students rate in the US and all lives in dormitories. Under this condition, we can expand our perspectives by understanding different values, religions, and ethnicity. Moreover, our class size is so small based on discussion style, so classes you can take here will be so interesting to you unlike ones you have been taking so far. SUA campus is also so beautiful. Whenever you are tired because of a daily academic life, you can be relaxed by just going around the campus. My favorite place on campus is SOKA garden. In the place surrounded by beautiful nature, you can freely plant whatever you want to eat. Plz visit SUA you'll see how beautiful SUA is !!!

Caitlin

It is a gem palace in a sea of little boxes on the hillside. A warm, welcoming, close-knit academic community full of passionate students, faculty, and staff. Excellent facilities, and out-of-this-world food services. Curriculum and course offerings are beyond fantastic; well-positioned for the 21st century and for the current crisis in higher education. Can't praise this place enough!

M.

Soka's mission USC truly unique. Students have more opportunities to travel and study abroad than any other school I have visited. The community is international, diverse and very much line a family. Friends are made that endure throughout a lifetime. Facukthbgsve high expectations and offer up a humanistic education. Students are well cared for.

Hank

I am a sophomore at SUA, and so far, I've had a great experience. The school offers generous financial aid, making the attendance affordable for anyone. Additionally, all students at SUA get a semester of study abroad, which is included in the tuition. Another benefit of SUA is its small student-faculty ratio. Because of the small class sizes, students get in close contact with the professors, which creates valuable opportunities and opens many doors for them. Lastly, another advantage is the location of SUA: While the city surrounding SUA is relatively small and quiet, there are many beautiful beaches and a variety of interesting communities in close proximity. Overall, I would highly recommend Soka to anyone that would like to study liberal arts and is looking for a small campus/student community.

k

l like students here. They have wonderful dreams to contribute to society. Being in Soka with great diverse students, I've been exposed to many different cultures, values, and ways of life. Because we have only 400 students in total and all live in dormitories, we easily get to know each other and become families at the end. The professor-student ratio is like 1-9 and the discussion-based class allows you to cultivate your communication skills as well as learning different perspectives on the subject.

Miyuki

Small class size made me think who I am and what I can do to improve this society as a person. Most professors are really friendly, and they are always willing to help students. Mandatory study abroad program is one of the most popular characteristic of Soka, and as an International student, going to the US and studying abroad to another country broaden my future options and gave an opportunity to grow as a person.

ella

Soka is definitely the best school. People at Soka are really genuine and caring. I like to have an intellectual conversation with people from the different background even with domestic students.