Hammond, LA
Southeastern Louisiana University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southeastern Louisiana University

Joshua

SELU is an incredible school withvast resources available, including knowledge and help from instructors and other staff as well as the well stocked library and online databases, not to mention the free tutoring and job-placement oppurtunities; SELU is an excellence school brimming with chances for sucess.

My largest problem in college was the lost of medicaid which cause my schziophrenia to go into over drive and left me unable to complete the semester. I'd advise myself to find a form of back upp insurance and to stockpile medication just to hold me over until it could be renewed. I wouldn't have to worry about partying or drugs as I've always left those follish things in the dust while blazing my trail towards knowledge. I'd also warn myself to be a better boyfriend to my girlfriend at the time. Losing her broke my heart worst than anything during the summer before I started college. With medication, I know I can accomplish anything and now that I have secured medical coverage I'm returning to school and I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that my GPA will soar soon enough, yet again.

I consider the worst thing about SELU to be the limited amount of dorm space, though they are expanding new dorm halls to alleiviate that probelms. It's a problem because many students can use scholarships to pay for dorms but instead are forced to get a job that takes away from school just to get an appartment or other form of housing.

Crystal

I would tell myself to be sure of myself and my abilities. I would tell myself to focus, and not lose sight of why I'm attending college. I would also tell myself to not guve up on myself, join clubs, make new friends, try my hardest, and enjoy college life.

I wish I would have known myself better, and what I would be able to handle.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the time waiting for financial aid to kick in, and the parking.

Melissa

I lived nearby, and I received a few scholarships specific to SLU so it didn't make much sense at the time to attend anywhere else.

High school made us map our futures so we knew exactly what to do by the time we graduated. We felt like we had to have an automatic answer for when people asked us, "What are you gonna do next?" I know you have that answer for now, but one day you're going to realize that fashion isn't everything. And when that day comes, I have this nugget of advice, RELAX. You are a deeply creative individual with so much to offer to the world. Be open to all forms of self-expression, even in your academic papers! You'll be surprised with the results. Also, if the course description terrifies you, it's probably a sign that you should go for it. You're smarter than you think, and more talented than you can imagine. The next four years will bring many unexpected changes in direction, but don't ever let them discourage you. Allow them to teach you what can't be taught in a classroom. In closing, I have these words for you: get ready, hang in there, and never stop learning.

Anyone looking for a more hands on learning environemt due to smaller classes would love it here. There are also great opportunities within the Greek community on campus [so I've heard]. It's a little school with a whole lot of spirit.

tyesha

I would tell myself to make sure that I attend class everyday. Missing class equals missing important information therefore when a test come you wouldn't know something because you missed class for whatever reason. That is mainly why people fail because they miss class ,but other than that have fun and enjoy yourself.

Calvin

If I could back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself be prepared to work. I would instruct myself to learn better time management skills. During the beginning of my academic career I had some issues with time management. I tend to wait until the last minute to do some assignments but I have learned and grown since then. I would tell myself avoid any form of distractions anything that carries the ability to hinder me from reaching my goal. Avoid student loans if possible because at the end they're going to be more of a burden and not a blessing. Look up any assistance program on campus for courses that you may be struggling in. Those are a few things I would've told the younger Calvin.

The professor and student relationship is one of the best at SLU. The teachers really know how to relate and communicate with students. Each professor show how they care about the students academic success.

I wish I was more knowledgeable about financial aid and student loans.

Trisha

I'd tell myself to take more of my required classes early on rather than trying to mix them up with my core courses and to look for which classes can be substituted for required courses, there is some interesting stuff out there I wish I would have gotten into earlier on.

Someone who is looking for small college classes with an emphasis on working with professors willing to help an individual accomplish their academic goals.

Andria

The most frequent student complaints is that most of the teachers are unwilling to help students one on one if they are having problems in a certain subject. Isn't that what the teachers get paid for???

Describe the dorms.

I have NEVER been in a dorm, but from what I hear, they are pretty bad:(

Describe a typical weekend.

I am usually doing family friendly things with my boys and husband. I go to church on Sunday and spend the rest of the weekend studying for upcoming exams.

Why did you decide to go to this school?

It is close to home. I have a family that includes 3 small boys and I also work part time.

Fraternities and sororities are extremely popular at this university.

Most students wear comfortable clothes to school. I do not feel that different types of students interact at this university. Everyone sticks to what they know.

No, most professors do not know students' names. I feel that professors only get to know you if they want to. Class participation depends on how the teacher teaches and if everyone is engaged in the class. My major is middle school education 4th-8th English/Science.

I feel the stereotype of students at this university is little rich kids that mommy and daddy pay their tuition. This stereotype is not accurate because many of the students here are non-traditional students trying to make better lives for their families.

Melissa

One stereotype that I hear about the students at my school is that we are all underachievers, which is absolutely false. Another stereotype I often hear about our school in general is that it is just a dumping ground for transfer students from larger schools who didn't quite meet the high standards of said school (hence all the underachievers). While we do have a lot of students that transferred from larger schools, the term "dumping ground" could not be farther from the truth. The transfer students that I've met have all told me that they enjoy the community environment that you don't really feel when you're in a classroom with 100+ people. They also seemed more than able to excel in their chosen field of study. If anything, our school is more like a stepping stone than a dumping ground. A lot of our students return to pursue Graduate and Doctoral degrees. There are students who will get those degrees from larger schools, but that usually only happens if the degree is something obscure and not offered here, like a PhD in Dog Whispering or something ( I don't believe any school has that degree program, but you get my point).

Farina

The stereotype of students at my school is about the credential dispute are getting graduate. I agree my school is not big as other schools are , but we are good as other school are. The students transfer after finishing their diploma to other big schools, just to graduate from a big school and find jobs easily. In my view , if a student is talented and know one has potential to cover this world then a name of a school does not matter one's career like Bill Gates; he never went to school, but he is still among world's richest man . Its your potential what matters.

Erica

It offers a major university type setting in a relatively small city so that students can stay local or not be intimidated by a school such as Louisiana State University. The university also offers a rental book store, unlike most universities.

I wish I had known the importance of getting involved on campus and the parking situation.

Southeastern Louisiana University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.