Southern Arkansas University Main Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Southern Arkansas University Main Campus

Joseph

It's a great place to call home. couldn't see my self anywhere else. Everyone is friendly, in my first few months here I have made so many friends. The professors are always very nice and helpful, they want to see you succeed, and that's always encouraging.

Ryan

I had visited SAU just one time before I decided to attend! The decision seemed to be very easy for me. It wasn't just one thing that helped me with my decision, but many factors. I only had one friend currently attending, I thought the facilities for campus life was great, but the selling point was the sports facilities! Everything was comparable to a D1 school, but it is a D2 school. I am a baseball player and love all the athletic facilities available to me!

Heidi

I have received a BSE and a M.ED from Southern Arkansas University. I truly enjoyed my time at SAU and will miss the university when I graduate in December 2016. The teacher/student ratio is small which is wonderful. There are on campus activities for everyone. Being involved made my time at SAU much more enjoyable. I felt safe on campus with Resident Hall directors, Resident Assistants, and on campus Police Officers. Not only was the college absolutely wonderful but completely affordable. I truly enjoyed my time at SAU.

Hoshiki

SAU is a great place for you if you like small college town. It's usually quiet, so it'll work your creativity for you to enjoy the moments. There are plenty of events on campus weekly and in some occasion there are events in town. SAU is diverse and there are many international students from all over the world. It is currently growing really fast, adding new dorms and upgrades. Best of all, it is affordable. To me, SAU is a great university.

Kobe

Personally I feel Southern Arkansas has a lot of room to grow, but has come a long way since I first enrolled in 2014. Since my freshman year there has been an increase of people who attend SAU, and this leads to a rather diverse scene on campus when students are out, and about. There’s a moderate number of activities to partake in, and things to do, but this is one of the areas where SAU could diversify. Students that lack transportation are doomed to suffer through a few weeks of boredom due to the lack of off-campus activities, and community events in the immediate area. Greek life also has a relevant presence on campus, but not so dominating that there's pressure to pledge to a Frat/Sor. Incoming students, and current students are receiving a growing campus with nice facilities, and a group of engaged educators for a good price. Overall SAU is an average campus in a small town, and is a dream destination for anyone who originates from a small rural area. City-goers beware as your bound to experience some type of boredom along the way, but education wise you’re getting exceptional education, and is well worth the cost. Go big blue!

Ka'Doreyo

It's a good school I love it. I am very involved on campus with the school choir, cheerleading, SAB, National Honor Society, Pom Squad, and my fraternity. This campus is small compared to other collegesites in Arkansas and I love it! You can walk from one side of the campus in ten minutes or less.

River

I like it. I recommend my friends to apply. Small town but the campus usually has something going on for entertainment; its located in between two bigger cities for more options of entertainment. Very affordable. I had a great experience for my first year here.

Senator

For it being where it is and what they do it's not bad. It could be better, but it's not bad. The facilities are probably the best part about the campus. The living situations run more towards the negative end of the spectrum. They could be a lot better, especially since you're living there.

Aliza

It’s such a great campus, it feels so much like home. You have so many great advisors that will help you at any point in time. Southern Arkansas University likes to focus on what makes you happy and comfortable, they like to make it feel like home as much as possible, they also like to let you know that’s you’re in good hands. It is such a great place to learn.

Kaitlin

My overall opinion is that I absolutely love it. Everyone on the staff is really friendly and they are always willing to help. SAU feels like home and I really enjoy going to college here. I have made so many new friends. I was really nervous to start college but I got over that really quick and I’m so happy to be here. The staff and faculty here at SAU are always around to help if you need and know exactly what to say to make you feel at home.

Magen

This is my first semester on campus. Everyone is very nice, it is a total different atmosphere vs high school. The campus has a huge focus on safety. The campus size is growing very fast. There are tons of ways to get involved with clubs and volunteering is very important.

Trevor

It's a friendly college and it is full of life. But I've have a pretty boring experience so far. I've expected more exciting events. Things like a non competitive volleyball team and gaming club that actually functions for what it stands as. My experience has been rather bad and with improvements in my hobbies, I would have great time

SAU is great but at the same time, the advisors weren't great and no one knew where to send me if i needed something from the office area. SAU might be for some people, but for me, i found it quite lacking. i got rear ended on campus as well. it sucked.

I absolutely love the teacher to student ratio. The class sizes are relatively small. They also have a wide variety of study options. Their facilities are being updated every year. It is very convenient for the small town kid who does not want to move to far from home.

Dylan

It could be better. The service at the cafeteria is horrible, and there are very little dining options other than that. The town doesn’t really feel like a college town, but more like a small town that everyone is just dying to get out of. Overall, it’s decent if you want a good education.

elanena

It is a great campus. The staff there does everything possible to help you. The campus makes everything easy to find. The classrooms are not overcrowded and tutors are available to help you pass the class successfully. The professors make it easy to get in contact with them for all our needs.

Madison

Southern Arkansas University is a smaller university where it is easy to find your way around campus and meet people. There are great food options on and near campus and lots of new dorms. There is a reason they say it #feelslikehome. I look forward to starting in the Fall!

Coming to southern arkansas university was a really big change for me, I came with little friends. Now I know almost everyone on campus. It's a small school which allows for a very friends and family environment. We have too of the line facilities and every year we aren't getting new and improved buildings etc. Best decision ever!

Heather

Overall, I like Southern Arkansas University but I believe there is always room for improvement. Take for instance their Financial Aid and Student Account offices, unfortunately there seems to be a lack of communication between the two and if a student is in need of help, their often end up between the two without finding aid from either.

It is a great college for those looking for a small environment. It has small teacher to student ratios and the teachers know you by name and are willing to help you succeed. The housing facilities hold study groups that are helpful, the campus also has sessions for individual classes and they even have a writing center, which is super helpful. I would strongly recommend this college to someone!

The experience that I have in classes is quality. I take almost all online classes and the way that they work with you to get the best experience possible compared to an in person class is great. I love that the professors are still available for "office hours" even though we meet online. It has been a great experience similar to my undergrad.

serenity

I love this college, they are very welcoming, and want to absolute best for you. Southern Arkansas University is a good mix of athletes, musicians, as well as involvement and excitement. It’s a safe campus, with people all around who care for one another. Great school, highly suggested!

Khang

Southern Arkansas University main campus is a big college, i like it. Southern Arkansas University main campus has all things that i needed, food store, close to my house and also have a good education and treated very nice to students. I love Southern Arkansas University

Southern Arkansas University is a great campus. If someone is more comfortable in the country life than the city life, it is the best place to be at. It's a super safe campus with open areas that make for comfortable walks and easy access to the on-campus police department in the middle of campus. The faculty is amazing and always eager to help their students if they have questions about class lectures.

Monique

Their academics is great, and you’ll feel a little at ease. They try to have a place for everyone, and push to help others succeed. Getting to know faculty/students and vice versa can be very helpful as well. It’s a good choice, but be on your stuff.

This May, I finished my first year at Southern Arkansas University. I always heard rumors about the college being a huge party school and not being very big on academics. I chose SAU because it was close to home, but after a year I've realized that SAU feels like home. It's a smaller campus so you're likely to recognize people around you everyday, but it's not so small that you know everyone. There's a club for almost anything imaginable. The dorms are built around communities, such as the agriculture dorm or the gaming dorm. If you want to party, there's likely a party going on somewhere. If you don't want to party, they're not hard to avoid. The academics at SAU were better than I expected them to be. All the professors on campus have an open door policy, meaning that if their door is open you can just walk in. Any of the staff on campus is easily accessible if you need to talk to them. Just about the only thing I don't like about SAU is the bathrooms, but no one ever really likes public bathrooms.

Darius

This is best college ever and I can’t wait to go there too. I believe that when I go to Southern Arkansas University, I will have an amazing time. I also can’t wait to get my bachelors degree in computer science. Hopefully I will make new and more friends.

Nickolas

I love it at SAU and have been in love with it ever since I toured here my junior year of high school. The teachers and staff here are amazing and really work with you if you have any problem with any class or anything you need help with. I love it here and plan on graduating from this school.

Regan

When visiting Southern Arkansas University as a potential new student, I was shocked at realizing just how many activities there are for students to participate in. I had no clue about half of the opportunities that are open for students. The campus is also one of my favorite things about SAU. SAU is a small, close knit community. On campus housing provides such a strong bond between classmates and makes it fun for extra curricular activities as well. SAU is the place to be for Football days. One of the most common things to do on game days is tailgating at the alumni center. I first handedly can say some of my best memories have been made on the campus of Southern Arkansas University, and someday I hope yours do too!!

Amber

I study Musical Theatre at Southern Arkansas University and I love it! The theatre faculty are amazing mentors and very encouraging while also giving useful critiques. I like the training I am getting. The caf usually has a lot of options, but there are some days (especially the weekends) where it could be improved. My housing experience has been great so far. Since I am in theatre I do not have much free time for extracurriculars ot Greek life (not really interested in Greek anyway) but I know plenty of people who are and seem to have a good time. Overall, I am very content with my school and the opportunities it has presented me.

Alyssia

I have fell in love with my college and it feels exactly like home away from home!! I love this place and I am always waiting for the next surprise around the corner. This college is the best decision I have made for my education. SAU is the best !

Nyiesha

I actually really like sau somethings can be done better and there could be more things close to us but other than that i love it here. There is always something to do on campus and the people here are pretty great. I feel the teachers actually care for the students and how they are doing in their classes.

Tasha

A great college. The student-faculty ratio at Southern Arkansas University is 18:1, and the school has 43.6 percent of its classes with fewer than 20 students. The most popular majors at Southern Arkansas University include: Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services; Health Professions and Related Programs; Education; Biological and Biomedical Sciences; and Physical Sciences. The average freshman retention rate, an indicator of student satisfaction, is 64 percent. Southern Arkansas University has a total undergraduate enrollment of 3,475, with a gender distribution of 45 percent male students and 55 percent female students.