Southern Virginia University

« See more reviews of Southern Virginia University

Dare to express yourself, even when in environments that encourage otherwise. The safety conformity promises is not only false, but also not worth the cost of silencing your personal vision and pursuits. Throw yourself into class discussions. Push yourself to be more even when you can succeed with less. Live by your standards of excellence and not the ones decided for you. Education is meant to be the bettering of yourself and you alone know your limitations and how far you can push them. Effort is the key to success and self-fulfillment. Don't let self-doubt and the fear of failure prevent you from taking advantage of any and all opportunites that come calling. Failure is inevitable, view your mistakes and the mistakes of others as lessons. Study your trials in life as you would for an education-based test and learn all you can. Discouragment is a disease. Reward yourself for your successes, revel in the simple pleasures and the hard-won moments. Let yourself feel pride in your efforts. Live life and love it. Transitioning from high school to college, from child to adult, is challenging. Let it be. You can handle this. You will.

Dear Desiree, This is your future self, and I would like to provide you with some words of advice before you enter college. First of all, enjoy high school. Enjoy being able to spend time with your friends and family members who love you. Second, study for the ACT much more. A high ACT score will seriously enhance your opportunities for getting a scholarship. Third, do not give up on anything. If you know that "A" is attainable in math, no matter how often you need to go to th tutors, attain that "A." You can do it. Fourth, shoot for at least a 4 on the A.P. tests because some colleges only count 4's and above as college credit. Fifth, never change your dreams just because you feel intimidated by someone else. Take that intimidation and turn it into motivation to do even better. Sixth, get involved in extracurriculars, but manage your time carefully and put homework ahead of spending time with friends. Seventh, don't stress too much! High school (and life) is to be enjoyed. Embrace it and treasure each precious moment, because those moments don't last forever. Best of luck, Your future self

To this point of my college expeirence I have learned that it is very important to speak up, get involved, serve, and do my best. Southern Virginia taught me those values. I attended another college that did not show these values. While in High School I was the only Mormon in my school and wanted to have the opportunity to be surrounded by Mormons and to have the benefit of a diverse campus. Although the majority of people here are Mormon there are still some that are not, they are respected and valued and make a huge impact. We have a lot of International students which gives a lot of opportunities to meet and learn about other ethnic groups. I am so excited to be at school at Southern Virginia University because the atmosphere, values, and challenging school work allow growth with a wonderful support system. Although school is stressful and there is stress on this campus we are able to get things done that we need to and are able to succeed and feel completely empowered with the choices that we make. This University has given me an amazing education with amazing teachers who help and care about me.

College is a transition. Coming fresh from high school, it's easy to feel like you're just taking another step forward through the high school experience instead of climbing up the steep staircase that leads to adulthood. Everything is pretty much the same-classes, sports, clubs, and tuitions, but the attitude and emotional atmosphere is completely different. You no longer have the set of rules or immediate and direct consequences that kept you tied to your responsibilities in high school. You are only tied to yourself and what you want for yourself or what you are determined and dicsiplined to keep. If you don't really know what that is, it will be difficult for you to keep up with the responsibilities. It won't affect you as immediately and directly as before, but the slap of reality will eventually come in a much harsher way with a longer sting after it hits. While it's difficult to transition from being a teenager in school to being an adult earning a degree all in one summer, it's necissary if you want to be successful. Don't waste time, slowly build yourself into the adult you would admire now!

If I could go back in time, and talk to myself as a high school senior about college, I would emphasize three major things. First, would be to take pride in all of my work. Barely scraping by and earning average grades when I know I could do better doesn't cut it. Professors and life expect more of you when you become an "adult" and head off to college. Highschool actions create habits, and you don't want a slew of bad practices following you into the beginning of your new life. Second, I would tell myself to take advantage of all the monetary help offered to students as soon as possible. FAFSA, grants, scholarships, and many other organizations can make college life a whole lot less stressful, which then allows you to focus on your studies and interests. Finally, I'd advise my younger self to have fun. Moving out of adolescence into adulthood can be scary, but don't let that stop you. There are so many wonderful people, opportunities, places, and knowledge to be discovered and enjoyed. Take advantage of that! Make mistakes, take chances, do your best, don't be scared, and have fun!

First off, do your research. Find out general facts about the school. Size, cost, etc. Then, compare those factors to other options on your choice list. If a school on there sounds better than most, you should go visit it. Stay there long enough to go to some activities and socialize with the people. Both students and staff. Maybe even attend some classes. Observe how you feel when you are on the campus. Does it suit your personality? Could you see yourself coming to that school and liking it? Keep a journal or record these thoughts. If there was more than one school you visited, then compare your feelings and observances. Take some time to ponder these things in your mind. It is a big decision and you should cover all the bases before you commit. It is better to take more time deciding because you will graduate quicker and happier if you chose the place you will get your degree. It will reduce stress in the future because you won't have to repeat the decision process again and worry about transfer credits. It takes a leap of faith, but if it feels right, let nobody stop you.

During my time at Southern Virgina University i have been taught effective ways to study. I have made many important contacts that are well connected in my field. I have learned how to be a leader servant as concert master of the small orchestra here. I am not a music major but was able to fill a gap in the orchestra. I have learned of the joy that comes from serving my fellow man at our regonal area medical drives that give free medical care to those that stand in need but cannot afford. I have learned tenacity and hard work from small classrooms and professors that do not comprimise on thier core outcomes and expectations. This school has excellent professors that are leaders in their fields and well experianced. The student body here as a whole is involed in the community, has a spirit of service about them, and a dedication to academic exellence. I feel confident in my abilities and that no matter what situation I may be faced with, thanks to what i have learned here i know i can succeed. I have already started preperation for the L-SAT and i am confident I will excell.

I started college last summer and learned so much since then. College is more hands on than high school, and I learn better by doing something, so I benefit from the college experience. Also, college has taught me responsibility and time management. I no longer have my parents there to tell me to do my homework and get things done. I have to get myself to clean, do my homework, and get all the necessary things done. Time management is a huge thing I had to learn when starting college. Getting up in the morning, being on time for class, making sure I had enough sleep at night, taking time for homework instead of doing something else were all key factors that I learned through college. Also, with today's society attending college is a must in getting hired at a job. Even if the job does not require a college education, the person who has the college diploma will get the job over the person who does not. Lastly, the people I met at college are ones that I will never forget. Overall, college has made me a better and stronger person, and it is very valuable to attend.

Time travel, the impossible dream of the modern world. What is so appealing about time travel? True there are many uses, most of them dishonest and bent on self-gain. many people say that they would use time travel to go back and bet on a certain sports team or pick a ceertain to win lottery number. Few admit to thinking of bettering their past selves in a way that is beyond financial gain. Honestly, a nice sum of money falling right into your lap is a very appealing idea, especially when it can pay for your entire college tuition, but even more important then financial gain is learining about oneself and the world around you. If i could go back in time, I would advise myself to look past the wordly items, as appealing as they are, and to look at my life and ask myself what am I doing? I would stress the importance of that question and then I would encourage me to stpp being idle, don't just laze around staring off into space, grab a book and learn. There is nothing more exciting and self-fulfilling then having knowldegeof and understanding the world aroud you.

Many students, including myself, had a slight fear when transitioning into the so-called "real world" of college life. This entails a much more predominant financial, educational, and social weight than ever experienced before. However, many transitions in life are inevitable. All we can do is roll with what we are given and hope that there will be someone to guide us along the way. The biggest piece of advice I would give myself would be to simply enjoy the transition for what it's worth. In retrospect, I probably took high school too seriously in many regards. And although balancing a social life is important, I also probably worried too much about what people thought about me. But, I digress... My advice? Dance around in the hallways more. Talk to people outside your cliques. Make friends with teachers. Schoolwork in high school is important, but it is static and somewhat trivial-- concentrate on finding out who you are. High school is light compared to the weight of college. Enjoy and embrace your freedom-- college boasts freedom too, but a different kind.