Southwestern Adventist University

« See more reviews of Southwestern Adventist University

It’s bizarre to think that I’m not the same person I was just a couple of years ago. Yet, I am – the one and only me. Feeling evermore wise, (100% likely deceptively) I have an abundance of things I would love to convey to myself. I imagine that once the conversation initiated, (once we got past the whole awkward meeting yourself thing…), it would proceed somewhat similarly to the following: Listen here, dear me, do not let anyone else try to rule what you really are; we both know your true ambitions, what wholeheartedly drives you each day. Pronounce those ideas, and let them be heard, escaping your mind. Lose any fear in branching out, and just do it – you could (and will) make new friends, of which some appear to be for the long haul. Furthermore, the camaraderie you manufacture will help you achieve nearby goals more easily in the educational world as well as on the floor at work. Let your musical taste flourish (embrace The Beatles – you’ll admire them soon enough!). Finally, in tangent with diversifying yourself and meeting new people, always remember the people who shaped you into who you are, today.

High School is not just a time for fun, excitement, and discovery; it is a time that you will never get back! Take this time to make long term and short term objectives and goals for your future. In order for these to flourish you need to keep your studies up and continuously talk with your counselors at school to ensure you are on the right track. Your Junior High School year will be very important because this is the time that you should be researching the colleges you are thinking about attending. Organization skills will be very important during this time as you will be scheduling college visits and meeting their admittance representatives. Once you have decided which college is lucky enough to have you, you need to keep in continuous contact with the admittance representative, as they are one of the people in your circle that will help guide you during the next few years. If this sounds like a plan to you then study, do research, plan, organize, and talk to as many people you can regarding your future. Please don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today, because then will be too late!

It seems that as a senior in high school you know everything, I know with great certainty that that is very wrong. I would tell myself that I needed to find a way to go to college full-time, instead of going part-time and working. I would tell myself to take advantage of all the opportunities offered and get involved in everything that I could because it really does pay off later down the road. I could tell myself to never ever play around with a single grade, no matter how small I thought it was, because every grade really does count in the long run especially after high school. Be a sponge and take in all that you can now, and don’t take anything for granted. Make good study habits in high school that last throughout college life. I would like to tell myself to have fun, go to your prom. I did not go to my prom, and that is one experience I would love to have back. Last but not least do not forget why you are pursuing your education, always remember your goals and don’t lose reach of them for anything or anyone.

As a 32 year old woman attending a university full of fresh high school graduates my first year of college has been an adjustment. I would love to go back in time and give myself some sound advice. The first advice would be on how to prepare myself for college. I would tell myself to learn how to study and create good study habits now while school still comes easy to you. I would then tell myself to not worry about that boy that you think is so special and to go to the college you want because if you stay here and attend the junior college it is way too easy to drop out. If he doesn’t want to wait on you or try a long distance relationship then he is really not worth it. Boys don’t always last but that degree will last a lifetime. I would tell myself that college is so much harder when you are older and have more responsibilities. I would also tell myself that not going away to college you are missing out on so many social opportunities and making those friends that last a lifetime.

If I can go back in time when I was a high school senior, knowing what I know now about college life. I would have told myself not to be intimated or scared of going away for college. I also would have told myself to aspire for greatness and success. When I was a high school senior, I would have told myself that 4 years is not a long time and that time will fly by. I would also have told myself that looking into a 2 year career is a waste of time because I will end up changing my major anyhow. I would have told myself that determination and perseverance will always get you far.. I would have also told myself that people would try to influence you to do things like partying, drinking, and smoking. Therefore; always think twice before taking part anything you would regret in the long run. Most of all I would tell myself, to love myself first before loving someone else. Lastly, I would have told myself that the memories from College would last a lifetime so make the best of it.

Every student should expect hurdles in college and all should be prepared. If I were to go back in time I would have a plan put into writing by my advisor and by records to make sure I can graduate in 4 years. I put too much faith into my advisor to have my best interest in mind. Everything that I expected was not at all what I thought it would turn out to be. Many events took place that caused me to take more classes than expected which in turn cost me more time and money. If I could do things different I would have looked into the school I went into a little bit deeper and made a four year plan. I would have scheduled my classes all the way to graduation day. If I would have done that I would not be as stressed to graduate. If I would have done that I would not have such a finicial burden and an overload of classes. If I were to give myself any kind of advise it would be not to assume that my advisor knows whats best and have a complete plan before making a big desistion.

My advice to parents is to make sure your taxes are filed on time so that your child can do their FAFSA on time. This is very important because if money is an issue for you, having the FAFSA results early can help you determine what else needs to be done so that you will be able to provide for your child's education. My advice to students would be to have an idea about what you want study so that you don't get the run around from administration concerning classes. Also, be active and do not depend on your parents for everything because once classes start its all you from there on. NEVER PROCRASTINATE! Think about the consequences of your actions before you do anything, and if you're planning to do something you know is wrong, make sure you are able to face the consequences. You are an adult now, and that is how you will be treated. With these few words of wisdom, both parents and students will be well on their way to enjoying the college experience. GOOD LUCK! :)

As you finish high school and look to your future, seriously consider where God wants you to be. Go there. Fear not. God is with you. College is not like high school. It's more structured, more fun, and much more rewarding. Leaving home is scary, but God is with you and will guide and protect you. You still have your family to support you from afar. The staff is friendly and helpful. God can work out your finances, trust Him. You will learn alot of new and exciting things. Look ahead and attempt to finish homework and long projects ahead of time. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Be open to learning new things. Work hard. Rest well. Stay close to God. Be faithful and honest in all you do. Pray over every relationship. Enjoy this time. Praise. Praise. Praise God in everything.You will save yourself alot of pain and suffering by taking this big step of going to college. Your life will never be the same. It will be better. You won't regret it.

You don't know me , but I know you. I don't want you to utter a word. I want you to sit there and listen. Just for a moment and you'll never see me again. This year in high school you've grown more than all of your years of education combined. You know life hasn't always been kind to you. You've had to fight for everything you've ever had, yet you’ve made it this far and that is truly amazing. I dislike telling you this though, but your not done fighting; not by a long shoot. Pick up your shoulder off the floor. Stop pouting! Baby! I'm here to tell you that you'll make it. All those naysayers , all those people who excelled way before you've ever had dream of spreading your wings and flying away. Will fall to sides as you slowly climb up mountain of successes. It will take you time and you'll will struggle more than others will . Just keep on fight and trying and doing what you've always done best. Never give up and you will make it.

The advice I would give a parent or a student about finding the right college is to first pray about it. Leave it in Gods and do research on the different options you have. Set up visit times to check out the different campuses and the opportunities they have for you. Narrow it down. Don't limit yourself to one college do the paperwork for your several options. God will close the door for some and open it for others. Ultimately God will put you where he wants you and you need to be, and will work it all out. To make the best of your college experience make lots of friends, be open minded give your classes the most you have, work hard, and never ever let go of God's hand. Know that whatever happens he'll be by your side, waiting for you.