Weatherford, OK
Southwestern Oklahoma State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southwestern Oklahoma State University

Kelli

The online/blackboard collaborative program that allowed distance learning.

The online/blackboard collaborative program that allowed distance learning.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to not worry so much about what other people think. I would tell myself to accept myself just as I am. I would tell myself to do a self-inventory and figure out what I enjoy doing and what my personal strengths are. I would let my personal interests and strengths guide me more when making life-impacting decisions including college and career choices. I would tell myself to think about my life in ten years, 20 years, and 50 years from high school...and ask myself where do I want to be at those points in my life? How will I get there? I would write down my goals. Treasure the good memories, learn from my mistakes, and forgive myself for wrong choices. Don't be afraid to admit my weaknesses and ask others for help. Always do my best, don't take things personally, don't make assumptions, don't live in the past, keep my word, be quick to apologize and forgive, do daily random acts of kindness and finally, I would talk less and listen more.

Nothing....it was a great experience.

Allison

When I was talking about SWOSU, people looked in disguist as well as saying that it smelled like cow poop and that I should go to a major university if not an Ivy League. With that being said, SWOSU is extraordinary! Everyone is jubilent. Tuitions, fees, and room and board rates are affordable. Classes are information and the professors actually acknowledge your presences in class. The campus is rather small, but you will get a workout walking up the hills with powered winds. Overall, I am glad I cam to SWOSU instead of the other schools I was considering.

Allison, I am you from the future coming back to give you some heads up. Do what everyone had told you about filling out as many schoarships because winning one is not enough. Do make lots of new friends and say hi to everyone because they will say hi back. Do talk to the guy you think is cute because he will see him often and regret never saying hi. Do go to the welleness center when you are bored instead of napping because you will miss out on a lot. Do not be an overachiever and make applying to collages a competition because it is a waste of money. Do not be naive and think collage courses are like AP classes because they are much harder since you have not cushion grade. Do not attempt to do everything yourself because there are people there to help you. Do not think you have to eat your money worths because the food will always be there. Lastly, be yourself and everything will be fun!

With many great qualities, SWOSU also has flaws. First off, I knew SWOSU was in a small town in the middle of "no where", but I did not know everything would close at eleven besides one restaurant and WAl-Mart. Secodnly, the parking ltos are extremely small that if you are not careful, you will door ding someone. Lastly, I was I had never heard or learned about the ghost stories like three in the morning being "Dead" hours.

Sheila

The type of major that Southwestern Oklahoma State University is really known for is Pharmacy. People from all over the Oklahoma and surrounding states come to SWOSU to try and get into the pharmacy program. With only so many spots avialable, student work as hard as they can in the classes to better their chances to get into the program. Many people forget that there is many other nationally accredited programs of study at SWOSU, like nursing.

I would tell myself to actually read those books that the English teacher assigns. Farenheit 451 and Jane Erye come in really helpful in your college English class. I would also convience myself to work on not procrastinating on homework. If you get in the habit of it now, the school work will not be as hard as you will make it be by waiting. Since I still live at home, it seems like it is harder for me to make friends. I wold tell my high school self to be more outgoing the first semester. Without friends to talk to school gets very tedious and boring. The most important thing I woud tell myself is to not be nervous. It is not as bad and you think it will be. You will make new friends, but you will lose some of the ones you were close to in high school. As time goes on you begin to talk to them less and your new friends become closer. I would tell myself to just breath and let it be.

People that attend my school should be able to adapt to a small populations and be able to make friends easy. Numerous amounts of local high school graduates attend this college. With friends that have grew up together, you have to be able to make friends with these people. Unlike in large population school, it is very likely that you can have multiple classes with the same person. This helps in the friend making process.

Lee

Hi teeage brat me! You think you know everything now, but college will give you a run for your money! Life in college will be extremely hard if you don't get it into gear! You have high ambition, high expectation, but you haven't prepped yourself well enough! Have patience! Learn time management! Learn how to learn! School isn't just about "getting it done" anymore, it's about the process, earning your learning, and all the blood, sweat, and tears leading to your ambitions. There will be many obstacles ahead of you! Surround yourself with a good support system, keep striving, and keep your head up! Keep going and I promise you will go far! Sincerely, Accomplished you!

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self about college advice, I would not have given any. The reason because without learning all of the college experiences on my own, it would not have meant as much as it does. You only learn something if you go through it yourself and come out better from it. I consider it better that you learn on your own because then you are prone to making mistakes, and while mistakes are bad you learn from them, and they are what shapes your personality. Learning things on your own helps you become the person that you will live the rest of your life as. But if I had to go back and talk to my high school self, I would tell her that school is harder, but funner in college, and that she needs to start forming a routine study habit. I would also tell her to relax and have fun while transitioning to college, because it will only happen once, so she should make the most of it, and have fun while doing.

Alvaro

The people here are far more friendly than what im used to including teachers and students.

I wish i could have looked into more colleges and applied for a lot more scholarships. It would have helped my parents with the burden of paying for college as their income is just enough to sustain our home.

Nick

Very nice atmosphere, and the professors are willing to do anything for students that will put out the effort.

Most of my classmates are very nice but some need more focus or need to seek a different major.

Forget everything you knew about high school. The professors care about your education and will work with you if you have a problem. There's a focus on academics instead of just simply athletic prowess. There is a tradeoff though; you will have to do homework. Don't think you can just move in with your partying buddies and stay up all night. The days will be long and hard; and you might lose some of your friends by not hanging out with them, but it will be worth it in the end. You do not want to end up like I did scraping by for ten years, working hard labor for sixty hours a week and still being broke at the end of the month. A successful career is far more rewarding in the end and nothing say you can't have a little fun after your homework is done.

Savannah

Be true to yourself and don't make the popular choice in choosing a college or university to attend. Choose what will be the best fit for the type of person you are. If you want a casual learning experience with a great deal of social life then a larger university with great social club structure is more for you. If you are a serious student that wants to learn the material in a smaller classroom environment then look at schools that will fit that and place less emphasis on social life. College is what you make of it and no one can predict what experience you will have. The choices you make from this point forward will greatly influence your future. No longer is everything spelled out for you. Understand that learning is a process and allow it to evolve and change as you go through the experience.

A serious student that is interested in learning with a hands on approach. Southwestern is smaller with small class sizes that is highly effective and makes for a serious learning environment where the student and professor can actually have a relationship vs a large university with 100 plus class sizes. This makes learning the material easier and getting to know others in the class also easier. I transferred from a larger university and I feel more comfortable with learning the sciences at Southwestern.

Probably the most frustrating thing would be finding outside or additional tutoring sources other than the instructors.

Julia

My school has many great oppurtunities for anyone and everyone there are so many clubs, classes, and activities to get involved in, and the professors are so friendly and willing to help the students in anyway that they possibly are able to; all in all, this is such a wonderful school.

My college experience has taught me how to handle situations in a mature manner, how to not procrastinate and get my work done, and most of all how valuable my education really is. It has been such a learning experience to move away from everything I know and love to a small town and learn how to adjust. It is going to make my future everything that I want it to be. College is so valuable, because it teaches students how to grow up and mature without parents. It teaches them how to be responsible and that in order to get what you want you have to work for it. College is just the first step to my future.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend SWOSU is one of those peole who are lazy, unmotivated, not caring, doesn't like to be happy or enjoy themselves. SWOSU has something for everyone, just be sure to have an open mind to the culture change and the different atmosphere, but it really is a wonderful place.

Southwestern Oklahoma State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.