Stony Brook University

« See more reviews of Stony Brook University

I am heavily involved in the National Society of Collegiate Scholars (NSCS for short). We are a community service based honor society that sends out invitations to freshmen or sophomores that have achieved a GPA above 3.4. NSCS is very active on campus and recognized nationally – for the past two years our Stony Brook chapter has been recognized as one of the strongest chapters in the nation. Although there is a nominal fee to join, as a member you receive discounts to many of our affiliate companies and are eligible for thousands of dollars in scholarship money. We hold a few signature events each semester that are open to the campus community. One of my personal favorites is Autumn Ecstasy, a charity ball we hold each November. Like all universites, Stony Brook has many traditions. One of my favorite Stony Brook traditions is EARTHSTOCK, a celebration of Earth Day. During this event the academic mall is always full of student organizations and local organizations that support the environment. Last year I bought this cute box of note cards. However, they weren’t just ordinary note cards they were eco-friendly paper made up of 50% elephant dung! I am really looking forward to walking around all the tables in the Spring semester. In addition, every year around 2PM we have our famous rubber duck races. In the weeks prior to Earthstock everyone can adopt a duck for $1 at the Dean of Students Office. Everyone who adopts duck gets an official adoption certificate which entitles you to love and provide for your rubber ducky. The ducks are released from the top of “stony brook”, the waterfall that runs from administration down to the Wang Center. Honestly, the image of 500+ red ducks racing down “stony brook” is one of my favorite annual memories and makes me to happy. Later in the Spring semester, the entire Stony Brook community celebrates Strawberry Fest , which is a festival that honors Long Island’s seasonal fruit, strawberries. Local vendors set up various stations that have foods that all have some strawberry component. Some of the items from last year include grilled chicken with quinoa and strawberry salsa, strawberry fields’ salad and strawberry strudel! Tickets are available for purchase at any of the campus dining facilities for only $8.45 and can be purchased using meal points. My absolute favorite Stony Brook tradition is Roth Regatta, a boat race across Roth Pond. The trick is the boat can only be made with the following materials cardboard, duct tape, rope, paint, wax and Elmer’s glue. People fall into pond, boats crash, its madness! But entirely awesome at the same time.

For every interest that someone can have, there is a group to join, but if you want to start your own new group you need at least five people who are interested in starting it with you. But that shouldn't be too hard. Becoming active on campus was one of the most important things to me when I got to Stony Brook. Many of my peers just stayed in their rooms all day playing video games and I knew I just didn't want to be that kind of person. I wanted to be the kind of person who tried out many different activities in order to find my niche(s). I am passionate about a lot of different organizations on campus. I am on E-Board for the ballroom dance team as their treasurer. I came to Stony Brook knowing they had a ballroom dance team and I knew I wanted to be a part of it. At orientation, the orientation leaders know the people to talk to about joining any organization you want to, just let them know what you're interested in and they will surely point you in the right direction.That's takes up a lot of my time but that doesn't mean there isn't time for other organizations. I am a member of Students Empowered Against Sexual Assault (SEASA) which works to educate students on what sexual assault is and how to prevent it on our campus. I am also a member of the undergraduate literary magazine, Spoke the Thunder, where I help vote written and artistic pieces in to the magazine and work on the production staff to layout the magazine. As a journalism major, I knew it would be important to join a publication on campus. I decided to join the Statesman because they are the oldest on campus publication with a good reputation. Stony Brook pride at sports games is so intense. I love going to basketball and football games because everyone wears red and students get to sit in the red zone where they chant for the whole game. If you come to Stony Brook with no pride, go to a sports game and that should get you pumped about our school. There is always some kind of lecture going on at night usually with some knowledgeable speaker. Or there are activities run by organizations happening all the time, usually at night and on weekends and often have free food, which is a major bonus but usually the food disappears quickly. Since the weekends tend to get boring, I decided to get an off campus job, which sets me up with hours on the weekends and Fridays when I don't have class. I recommend getting a job either on campus or off campus, if you have a car, but don't overwhelm yourself. I waited until sophomore year to get a job, and now I can't imagine life here without one.

Different people gravitate towards different activities academically and socially. There are so many different clubs that anyone can get involved in- not to mention the obvious sports teams. I’m actually involved in mentoring, and I’ve found that it’s a great experience. On several Saturdays of the spring semesters, I work with high school students, motivating and guiding them towards a final project pertaining to technology and society. I really do enjoy it, and it’s even good to put on your resume. I think that the school does try to unite its students as much as possible, and every spring we have something called the Roth Pond Regatta. People participate in building cardboard boats and making them as creative as possible, and then people actually get in the boats and race across the pond. I’m pretty sure my favorite boat ever was a huge duck boat. I mean, it was literally a big boat, and it was a duck. Everyone roots for their own groups, quads and friends, and it’s really just a great day. When I was a freshman I actually considered joining a sorority. I thought it would be a great way to meet new people and find where I belong. Not to completely bash the whole fraternity/sorority thing here, but from what I know from my friends at other schools, this campus doesn’t have the best Greek life. The people I met here that are in them really seemed like they love it, but it’s really up to you to decide if you want to pay money and give up hours and hours of your time be a part of it. I can honestly say with full confidence that it is not at all necessary to a real “college experience” here. To each his own, right? Weekends here are whatever you want them to be. You can go to a bar Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night if you feel like it. It is true that there is a definite lack of people and cars on this campus on weekends, but I know that with my closest friends, we will usually make our weekend decisions together. Sometimes, it’s good to get away and go home, and others we all just want to be here together. By the way, if the bar scene isn’t for you, it doesn’t matter. I live in West Apartments now, and even before that, you can always find something to do with your friends.

I'm apart of the Marching Band via Color Guard, and we basically are LOVED by the University, sorry to brag but when you have the President sitting next to you having a conversation about her college days, you're pretty much set. But doesn't mean you have to go out an learn and instrument and join up, there are many ways to get involved and have a lot of fun. This is just my way of being apart of the University and contributing to it. Residential life, in corridor style, most students leave their doors open, at least in my hall and most halls around campus. Suite style, is more inclusive, but still have their perks. I love the campus life during Wednesdays when we have campus lifetime, between 12:50PM - 2:10 PM no classes are held. Usually there are events going on, from carnivals for Homecoming, or our my favorite, Strawberry Fest. We also have other events that are landmarks for our University, Roth Pond Regetta which we race duck taped cardboard boats across our dirty pond and hope it stays afloat. We're not a big athletic school, sorry we're into pre-med, pre-law not the NFLs or NBAs. But our big games can be really fun ie, homecoming, last game of the season, special event games. Also, our party night is Thursday, so avoid morning Friday classes, I don't since I have no choice, but I don't go out every Thursday. Either students go out to the local bars/clubs, certain sport houses (Rugby house, Baseball house, etc) or Frat houses. One thing to note, Frats/Sororities are like any other club on campus, don't play a major role, but are there if anyone is interested. Sororities don't have their own houses, there's a old rule on long island the prevents them from having one. What I do on Thursday, is go to local suite parties, I got bored of going to club/bars, more like got too poor to afford them and hated needed a new outfit every time I went.

There are So many student activity groups it is hard to say which are the most popular. Personally, I am involved with Oxfam, the Culinary Club, SBU-TNG club, the SB cat network, and the Commuter Student Committee. This, along with the myriad of student activities keeps me both busy and well fed. (Most organizations and activities give away free food). Most of my closest friend I've met through these activities and through just being around on campus. 2am on a Tuesday? I'm probably hanging out at the TAC or grabbing a bit to eat at Kelly Cafe. Traditions include The Great Roth Regatta - Teams of people construct creative boats out of duct tape and cardboard and race them across a pond located on school grounds. Hundreds of people show up to participate and cheer the contestants on while they enjoy free food, treats, and paraphernalia. It is perhaps my favorite tradition. Other Annual events include Strawberry-fest, Rubber-Duck racing, Earth Fest, multiple ice-cream socials and a whole lot more that I cannot remember off the top of my head. Greek Life is somewhat big, but not something I ever became a part of. They often host parties and campus events that are usually very large, but level of involvement is very optional. Honestly, Saturday nights are pretty dead. Almost everyone goes home for the weekend, which is a shame, because wander campus with your friend on the weekend is very fun and is the basis of many of my fondest memories of Stony Brook. New York City is just a short train ride away so it is easy to make your way to the city for an adventure anytime-if you have enough money to afford a ticket, that is. Other off-campus activities include mall runs, adventure in the nice little waterfront town of Port Jefferson, and playing at the beach.

Probably the most popular organizations are Asian religious groups. However, there aren't any predominently major organizations. one of the largest organization that is seen on campus a lot is NYPIRG (new york public interest research group), which spends a lot of time rallying for people to vote, as well as envionrments and consumer protection issues. Among political groups Social-Justice alliance and the Campus Republicans are also seen. I am a member of the crew(rowing) team, members of the team just like members of most other organizations are sort of in a clique. Because of the amount of time we spent together we know few people outside the team. We practice every morning at 6AM, for 2 hours eithe rowing or doing some intense cardio. While the team is a lot of fun and the best thing that I have going about this school, we constalty suffer from a lack of financial and overall support from the school. I can't comment much on the dorms since I've only been there aa few times. Athletic events/ guest speakers/ and theater are generally pretty unpopular. Except maybe for the Staller center, which receives some of the most popular shows in the world. The dating scene is diverse with some people dating, others not, I'm actually not so sure. As its probably clear from before, I met my closest friends by being a member of the crew team. I've also met some friends by working on campus and through my lab partners.

If you belong to a group, sports team, fraternity/sorority, etc, those people will become your friends because you'll spend so much time with them. Those are also the most popular, and chances are it's how you'll meet your friends. It's really difficult to meet others in any other way except those you live with, through a friend or a party. Parties are common, but not insanely huge. They tend to be more private and basically include only the people you know, not strangers unless it’s held by a frat. While walking outside, you may see the happenings of a party, but it's generally not crazy. Athletic events are popular....if it's not on a weekend. But there are a few every year that roads are closed down or we get traffic cops because so many people come by. The theater has some good stuff, especially if you're a classical music buff. But other good shows exist for cheap. If you stay for a weekend, you can go to the movies, go out to dinner, maybe go bowling somewhere...get ice cream....play minigolf....etc but only if you own a car or take a cab. Otherwise, you're only options are parties, studying, or video games. We do have a roth regatta, where different groups of people make their own boat, and then race it to the other side of the lake and pray it doesn't sink on the way. It's supposed to be fun. Overall, activities and social life are boring. Don't expect much and it will get dull quick.

I don't live in a corridor style residence hall, but I have lived in suite style and now the West Apts and I know NO ONE ever seems to leave their room door open to talk to their suitemates. The front door- no way, everyone is too scared that their stuff is going to get stolen. So it's very possible to live in a suite or apartment and never talk to a couple of the people you live with. Many people at the Apts. have their boyfriend/girlfriend live with them to save on housing even though it's not allowed. A lot of people here at the Apartments have dinner parties. What you do I guess depends on who you know and what you are involved with. The bars in Port Jefferson or Smithtown aren't too bad to go to, but they aren't great either. I don't really know what else there is to do on this actual campus at night other than drink. There are movies though in the Staller Center but I don't think they are too popular to go to .

To my knowledge the most popular organizations are the Frats and Sororities... one other club that seems to have a big following is SASA. I'm involved with Stony Brook Motorsports. We are an organiztion that designs, fabricates, and tests an off-road vehicle (Mini Baja). In the dorms 3 years ago, people used to keep their doors open. Now, not as much but people still do. I dont. Athletic events are popular (mainly football). I met my closest friends in the dorm halls. Studying or watchin tv at 2am on a Tuesday. Tradtions: midnight breakfast (line is wayy too long tho). People party when ever they want to. It also depends on what type of major you are involved in. Some have much more work than others. To me.. I dont think frats and sororities are important at all. Last weekend I went out with my friends to a bar in port jeff. Go out to dinner.

Sororities, Frats. I am involved with the blood drive group. It is very good because many people give blood here on campus. Yes a few leave doors open, including me. Athletic events are not popular with students, more so with outside parents and children on the community. Dating is good, many people have found LOVE. Well i met them through facebook and/or LRN. If i'm awake at 2, i am on my computer, Regatta. Every thursday, friday and saturday, sometimes wednesday and or sunday. Frats/soror are important for parties to go to. Clubs get boring for people. Last weekend I sat on my computer. Play raquetball, hang out with friends in a dorm, play Taboo. I go to the mall and window shop because i don't like spending money at Hollister or any of these "preppy" stores.