Stony Brook University

« See more reviews of Stony Brook University

This is easy, social life is what you make of it. Some people are very involve and others aren't involved at all. I do a few things but for the most part i don't have a relationship with stony brook outside of academics.

Everyone should try the intramural sports. This is one thing SB definately gets right. As far as partying goes, the only real parties happen off-campus at clubs or frat-houses. Drinking is prevelant within the dorms.

Dances, concerts, community service... everything is available

The most popular groups on campus are probably the fraternities and sororities. I think there is around thirty or so total which means that if you're interested in joining one there's a good chance you can find one you like. Each of them is a little bit different than the next. There are over two hundred other clubs and even more different programs. One organization that I enjoyed was a student-faculty retreat. About 70 students and faculty, including the Dean of Students and President, went away for a weekend and held various conferences to discuss ways to improve the school. It was a great experience in that I learned a lot about Stony Brook and its history and I met several members of the administration. Most students lock their doors, as they are encouraged to do. Few students feel unsafe, but keeping doors locked makes too much sense not to do it. Athletic events generally are not popular, but whenever there is a big game, be it against a rival or a well known team, the students will show up in force. Guest speakers are usually well received. In the past year there have been speakers from many realms of society, including sport stars, academics and journalists. The dating scene is probably like any other college. There's a lot of restaurants and places to go off campus. I knew a few of my closest friends before college but a lot of my friendships started my first weekend here freshmen year. We all lived on the same hall for two years and quickly became close friends. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday, what am I doing? Well, WHEN I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I'm usually in my apartment hanging out with my roommates. When I lived in a corridor style building the answer would be the same, but often a few kids on the hall would get together to play poker or something else that isn't doing schoolwork. There are a few traditions that are very enjoyable. Atop this list would be the Roth Regatta. Every year this boat race is held in the Roth Pond, a body of water that nobody dares go in any other day of the year, aside from the occasional day swimmer in a clown costume. Students, clubs and organizations build their own boats and hop in with paddles in hand. The only catch is the boats can only be made out of cardboard, duct tape and a few other materials. This makes for some interesting designs and some incredible disasters. Don't worry, life jackets are required and the school has yet to lose a soul in this nearly 5 foot deep pond. Partying is mostly done off campus, whether it be at a club, bar or house. The parties that are on campus have to be relatively small and are usually confined to a single dorm room or suite. Whether or not you can get away with partying in your room or hall almost completely depends on your resident assistant and what kind of mood they choose to be in most often. This has come a long from from when my uncle attended Stony Brook in the 70's and there were bars in the basements of most residence halls. Oh well... Are fraternities and sororities important? Well this all depends on who you ask. Ask a frat brother or sister they are the most important thing to the existence of Man. Ask any of the 13,000 plus undergrads who are not a member of a frat or sorority and their daily lives would change little if they all disappeared. Weekends can be slow here, but if you're willing to do something you can always find something. Last weekend we had a party in our apartment with a few close friends and a few people I have never seen before. Thats pretty typical of a weekend for me. Thursday and Friday nights are usually the more eventful. Saturday night if nothing is going on you will probably find students doing a few things: getting a late start on the work the neglected all week, refusing to get off the couch so they don't miss a second of TV or video games or playing poker for more money than the wish to part with. When campus gets boring there's a few things to do off campus. The mall is 5 minutes away and accessible by bus. Movie theater as well. Dozens of restaurants and pizza places and of course enough fast food to give you a coronary.

Hmm there are too many groups on campus to tell. Stony Brook has over 200 clubs and organizations, so I think it's pretty well spread out. I can tell you who will have a successful event though, any group offering giveaways or free food. College students love anything free The group I've been involved in for 3 years now is the Commuter Student Services. I like being a part of this club, and I've seen it expand a lot since I first started out. CSS provides outreach services and advocacy for commuter students, and it also holds events such as the Commuter Reception, Lunch and Learns, and Commuter Appreciation Day. I think it is really important, especially for commuter students, to become involved here. Otherwise, you don't feel connected to the school, and that can be pretty depressing. Students in dorms don't typically leave their doors open, or at least my friends who dorm don't. Athletic events are fairly popular, but it depends on which sport. Stony Brook is trying to make athletic events a bigger deal, because a lot of students seem apathetic when it comes to SBU athletics. We have a great theater arts center, there are always shows going on. Dating scene at SBU? I'm not sure there is one! No, there probably is, although I haven't found it yet, I met my boyfriend at work. It's hard enough sometimes to make friends on campus, let alone begin dating someone. With large classes, people tend to just stick to themselves. I guess the dating scene exists, maybe with the fraternities/sororities or athletic teams. I met my closest friends through the Learning Communities Program. I also made friends through clubs. The key to making friends and any social connection here at Stony Brook is to get involved and make the effort. 2am on a Tuesday I am usually at home because I commute. Although I know my friend who dorms is probably at the computer on facebook or something. There are several traditions that occur each year, many of which are in the spring. There is the Roth Pond Regatta, where groups of students spend weeks in preparation making boats out of cardboard, in hopes it can make it across the lake with students in it. Then there is the Strawberry Festival which is all about-you got it, Strawberries and products involving strawberries. A fun tradition if you dorm is the Midnight Breakfast, which occurs during finals week. There is also I-Con, which is a science fiction convention which occurs in the spring. I don't know how prominate partying is at school because I don't dorm there. Fraternities and Sororities are present at Stony Brook, but they are not the end all and be all. They are a good way to meet people, but they aren't viewed as the "cool kids" on campus. Last weekend I worked, but I do not live on campus, so I am not a good reference as to what the social scene is on the weekends. From what I hear, most students go home on the weekends, so the campus is pretty empty. Saturday night at Stony Brook? There is probably some club-sponsored event, or perhaps an on campus movie or show. I am a commuter student, so off campus is when I work, study, see my friends and boyfriend.

On campus there are 100's of clubs and more every year. If its not there already, you can start it yourself. Most first year students choose to join their Hall Councils because its a great way to get involved and to meet other people in your building. My favorite group that I'm a part of is RHA. Its a group of reps from every building on campus who get together and try to make decisions for the entire campus. We plan events and work on safety issues. On campus there are sporting events almost every week, and SB has an incredible sense of school pride. We also bring in a lot of Theater groups, dancers and choirs into the Staller Center as well as the Theater Departments programs. I met most of my closest friends by hanging out at the Tabler Arts Center. We all met during Orientation the first week and chose to stick together. SB is really great about putting on programs for students. Every year we have a Homecoming parade, Halloween celebrations, the Roth Regatta and spirit week. All of these events involve the whole campus, but there are also programs put on by Quads and even the programs put on by the RA staffs of the buildings. In regards to the buildings, we do not leave or rooms unlocked. There is always that small chance of theft occurring even between friends so we have an anti-propped doors campus. Partying occurs of course, but its not a loud, messy everyday thing. The SB students are really responsible about the way they spend their time.

I don't have a good unbiased opinion of SBU groups/clubs. I am part of WISE (women in science and engineering) and a dj and assistant music director of stony brook's radio station WUSB. Many students are not involved with anything, or with a cultural club of their culture (Chinese Student Association, etc). I have not lived in a corridor dorm, only in suite-style dorms, and we never left suite door open, but within the suite, some people left their doors open, some didn't. Athletic events are semi-popular, especially those where they give away free tuition to a lucky attendant. Theater is semi-popular as well. SBU hosts many productions, concerts and similar events which are popular with the surrounding community, but not really the student body. I met my closest friends in my clubs, and in my classes. If I am awake at 2 am on Tuesday and not doing homework I am hanging out with friends or watching tv. Stony Brook traditions include the Roth Regatta, Strawberry Fest, Midnight Scream I am not acquainted with the party scene on campus, but there is one. I am also not familiar with frats/soros Last weekend I hung out with my friends, planned and produced a radio show, and did some homework. Off campus I shop for groceries, eat out, watch movies, etc.

there are a bunch of dance groups on campus, cultural clubs, greek life, etc. it seems as though there is a group for anything, and if there isn't, you can easily start one. Since its such a large school, it is really easy to meet new ppl and ppl are generally very friend in class. I came to stony brook not knowing a single person and was able to make friends very easily. In addition, there are always a bunch of events going on, that will suit almost any kind of person. if you enjoy bars & clubs, there are a few nearby. If you're a bit more laid back, there is a movie theater, bowling alley and plenty of on campus performances & events (like comedy shows). Shopping in the area sucks though (smith haven mall is really the only nearby option). There are a few beaches nearby that are great for the summertime, but many of the closest ones charge for parking during the summer if you're not a brookhaven town resident. Plenty of ppl complain that stony is boring and there is nothing to do, but thats because they're not really looking and just like to complain. I was always able to have a good time, whether just hanging out with ppl in the dorms or going out to nearby places.

People immediately associate the college experience with drinking, getting drunk, going out to the clubs, etc. But what's the point of college if you're going to experience it in a drunken blur and constant hangover? Yea, have fun, but that's not what your experiences should be limited to. There are over 300 clubs and orgs on campus... they don't all involve drinking. It's funny, but while there are so many things to do on campus, you'll find that it's always the same people who do all those differnt things. I really enjoy taking part in Homecoming, Spirit Week, Roth Regatta... i enjoy going to the games as well. Especially now since the band is bigger, they really help create a festive atmosphere. I just really wish people would get more INVOLVED!!

I don't know. MIP. I stopped going to meetings because we never really did much at them. In some dorms- not really mine so much. Athletic events are popular among athletes; I don't think guest speakers are too popular...theatre seems to be a big deal. I don't know about it- my boyfriend lives in Boston. I have close friends from highschool here. I'm close with my suitemate. She intoduced me to another really close friend. Studying or getting ready for bed. Roth Pond Regatta, Strawberry Festival, Homecoming A good amount. Pretty important- they're everywhere. Studied- I had 3 exams this week. Hang out with friends/go see movies/study. See movies, go to the mall, go food shopping, go sit by the docks in Port Jeff...