Stony Brook University

« See more reviews of Stony Brook University

The type of person that should consider Stony Brook is a self starter that does not need the guidance of others. A person open to diversity will enjoy the campus as it harbors various ethnicities, religions and cultures. An individual that is not easily influenced by the experience of others will flourish as students tend to be pessimistic. This person will have to come to the school with their own inspiration as the school does very little to add influences outside of academia into the lives of its students.

If one knows for sure what he/she wants out of life and knows that attending this school is the best way to go about achieving their goal, by all means, attend Stony Brook. However be warned, because SBU will demand much from it's students and if one isn't inclined towards schoolwork, he/she may not do as well as he/she had originally anticipated. One who doesn't plan on making friends and will spend most of his/her days studying in the library and actually attend class, should attend this school.

The kind of student that should come to this school is kind that is friend and very social and like to meet new people. There are about 20,000 students so there is always new people. Also, Stony Brook is really big on research so if they are pre-med thats a plus. Stony Brook has a lot of programs and activities as well as clubs, so the person who attends this school should be eager to be involved.

A person that does not need to be assisted along every step of their academic pursuit. Someone independent, and with enough free time to study hard. I would say intelligent upper middle class students thrive in this environment. It is a largely science based campus here, so englis or sociology majors should look elsewhere.

Someone that wants to be part of a community and has the capabilities of being in a large learning environment. Someone that can take initiative to join a club or a hall council and come up with some new ideas for a campus event, but at the same time be academically competent. Sometimes the balance is difficult to find.

A student who wants a big campus and lots of majors to choose from. This university is ideal for those who wants to be able to live away from home yet have the opportunity to travel to the nearby New York City. The students on campus are diverse and Stony Brook being a SUNY is an affordable choice for great academics.

In order to attend Stony Brook University, you must be a hard working and well educated student. People looking for diversity, for a great education, and for friends that will last a lifetime will fit in perfectly here. Stony Brook is also a great place to develop a career and transition from college to the real world.

Students who are particularly interested in the math, science, research and medical fields would find this a very promising and rewarding university in terms of education and learning resources. Also, students must definitely be wholeheartedly dedicated to their studies because the academics are very tough here.

The type of person who should attend this school is a person who is willing to broaden their horizons and someone who enjoys meeting people of different backgrounds. The Stony Brook student is one who is hard working and determined and definately one who wants to change the world!

Those individuals who want to have the flexibility of visiting home or communting from home; those students who cannot afford to attend a private school but have the grades to show for it; those who see this school as an "easy way out" from more challenging schools.