SUNY at Albany

« See more reviews of SUNY at Albany

The worst thing about my school, are the depression and suicide rates. Although my school provides services to students such as Middle Earth, a counseling center. Yet even with these services, some students still feel alone and as though they do not have anyone to speak with. Suicide is the second leading cause among college students, and I would like for the statistics to decrease. I've had an experience in which a fellow friend of mine here at SUNY Albany committed suicide, therefore the topic hits close to home. Suicide prevention programs are extremely important.

The worst thing about SUNY Albany are some of the class sizes. Freshman year especially, the classes are overly packed. If the university would stop enrolling more freshmen than are supposed to be enrolled this problem could be somewhat fixed. Also, large classes make it difficult to concentrate and some of the classes are taught by Teaching Assistants who are really just grad students who have no idea how to teach. The size of the student body negatively effects the classroom experience for students who are really trying to learn.

The worst thing about my school is probably the stigma is receives from being a state school. My impression coming here was that everyone was an idiot and they were only attending SUNY Albany because they couldn't get in anywhere else. Actually, it is quite the opposite. Like any school, we have our fair share of subpar students, but because of the economy, most of us couldn't afford our dream schools and this was the best option. I wish people would look past the SUNY title and research what we are all about.

it seems too much like a machine sometimes. everyone has thier paths to go along, but it's more like tracks that we follow each day. there's individuality, but i think it might be a bit more cliquey than i think it is, there are the asians and the black people, and the other ethnic groups, the nerds and the rugby players. perhaps i'm looking into it too much and not partying enough along with the crowd, perhaps following the crowd would let me see it better, but i feel i like i watch it from the outside

I love everything about my school but I would have to say that the nutrition could be much better. Even though there are places you can get a salad or a wrap, a good majority of food served is high in fat, sodium and calories and many people aren’t aware of it. To change this, I think that my school needs to post the nutritional facts about most or even all the food served there. I feel it will make a great difference and benefit everyone so they can know exactly what is going into their bodies.

When applying to colleges, you try your best to find one with the academics you need for your future. I enrolled in the University at Albany because they had some of the languages I was interested in for my dream career. However, soon after my first semester began, the university cut them. The worst thing about my school is that it is of no use to me; I now am searching for a scholarship that will assist me in transferring to a school where I can study the subjects I was originally hoping for.

The worst thing about our school is not that people go out to drink and party but bad events because of such actions. Some students are responsible drinkers or know when they have had enough. It is only at certain times when actions taken by those too drunk to function bring down the reputation of SUNY at Albany. So, overall, the worst thing about SUNY at Albany would be the irresponsibility of certain students to know their limits. It is not necessary to fal under peer pressure.

I chose the University at Albany because it was the best choice for me, however if I had to pick a flaw it would be the size of the university. Although there are many good things about being a large university it is sometimes difficult in large lectures to actually understand what you're learning. Professors try and make it easier with office hours but if I was in a smaller class and able to ask questions in detail I would feel more comfortable about it.

It is in a place which is far away from the main city, and so, scopes for earning are much limited. So students looking for financial grant or scholarship (which the school finds difficult to meet or endow) cannot but depend on thier parents or relatives, who very often find it difficult to meet the financial need of the students. So, I think the worst thing here is that it lacks funds enough to support the financial need of the students.

The worst thing about my school is the lax environment about partying. At orientation, RA floor meetings, even in classes adults and employees of the University joke around about it. I think there is a serious problem at this school. On their behalf, I would like to include that there is a program, "Danes after Dark" that was created to give students an alternative to going out on the weekends. However, the program is weak.