SUNY at Albany

« See more reviews of SUNY at Albany

Upon coming to college I had only mentally prepared myself for what it would be like to be away from my family but not for the difference in academics from high school to college. I did not expect the big lecture halls, the online assignments and the heavy reading. In high school one has the constant remainders from teachers when an assignment is due and their concern. But in college it is all about responsibilty, hard work and maturity. It is up to each individual to maintain a good academic standing and to succeed using their own methods.

I wish I had known that college was more than just a party and social atmosphere. High School required little attention to details and there was little reason to study the course material because it was feasible to get expectional grades without it. However, freshman year in college is the greatest change that ever occured in my life and Suny Albany helped with the transition from high school to where I am now. I also wish I knew before I came to college that the most important thing in college is your G.P.A., not social standing on campus.

Before coming to Albany, I wish I had known how accepting people are. Halfway through my Freshman year I chose to switch living situations, and was terrified that I would get along with my new suitemates less than I got along with my previous ones. However, all of the fear and stress was for nothing, for I found an amazing group of people, not only in my own suite, but my entire floor of my building brought me in and we soon became as close as family. Albany has an extremely genuine student body; which I was previously unaware of.

Albany is a great school in a great location. There are tons of opportunities because it is a capital city, and despite SUNY A's size not many students take advantage of the internships, programs, or prof's office hours. Take advantage of the location by interning in the state offices, Federal senator's offices, or many non-profits in the area. It is worth your time to stop in during Professor's office hours, not only will they offer you help help on paper's and assignments, they will know who you are for recommendations.

I wish I knew more about myself before I entered college. I feel that I was not able to fully enjoy college, and the university experience because I was searching for who I was, and chasing what I wanted to become. I put so much stress on myself to excel in class to prove that I was worthy to attend college. Instead I should have realized that my hard work would achieve the grades I wanted, I did not need stress. I missed a lot of things I would have loved to experience if I just stopped, and looked around.

I wish I had known that college professors are not what high school teachers make them seem. I stressed about this until the first day of classes. My classes have ranged from 30 people to 500 people. If you make an effort to see the professor in their office, they are more than willing to work with you and help you. I was scared that the professors would be mean and stuck in their ways but they are not. I wish I knew this coming into school because it would have taken a lot of the stress off my shoulders.

When I was looking at Albany, it was great to know so many things about the school that could be useful to have when I would start at the university. The one thing I wish I had known was where the Health Center was because it is not located on the main campus, but off campus. I came down with Mono and needed to visit the Health Center, but I had no idea where it was or how I was going to get there. I wish the adminstration told the students at Orientation or move in day where it was.

My school is one of the best University's on this side of the Mason Dixon Line. Everyone is so helpful and professional you get the sense that everyone that is employed by this University is rooting for you to graduate and will help in any way they can to assist you with your educational goals. Whatever I did not know when I came to this school, there is always someone whether staff or student to get information from and many sources to confirm your information.

I wish I had known how much work I would need to do in order to do well. It's certainly not like high school in almost every way. I wish I could redo college again and get better grades. I wish someone had told me not to mess around freshman year because it will always affect you later on. I just wish i had known what I was getting into academically. The school itself is great, but I wish i had known exactly what I needed to do in all my classes ahead of time.

Before I came to SUNY at Albany I wish I had known what the surrounding area had to offer me. Everyone always looks for the perfect college town to live in, and I wish I had known what the city of Albany had in entertainment and in their intership and career options. Also, I wish had known what to expect from college classes, because they are nothing like high school classes. You can do great in high school, and not do so well in college. Here you're on your own.