Texas Southmost College

« See more reviews of Texas Southmost College

The major problem about my school is that some of the students are not college-ready due to their poor academic performances. Moreover, some of the professors are making the students too comfortable in their grades by using academic curve to the extreme. Academic curve gives undue advantages to some students despite of their porous performances in homeworks, tests and the finals. This favor eventually boomerang on the students whenever they go to another school out of the valley. They(students) found it hard to cope which leads to unproductiveness. I believe grades should be awarded based on merits.

The worst thing about my school has to be it's concentration on science majors. Fall 2011 was the first semester where I took science courses at this university and I was disgusted. I had previously taken science courses at UTPA in Edinburg, Texas so my expectations were high. However, at UTB the labs were dirty, missing equipment, dirty equipment, stained equipment, uncomfortable seating, missing specimens, etc. The professor always mentioned "the school didn't have enough funds to provide us with these specimens we need for dissection". I heard that all the time at UTB.

The worst thing about my university is that the non-smoking policy isn’t really enforced. There are many signs and bulletin boards full of non-smoking facility sign but neither the professors, nor certain students follow it. I know people with chronic diseases that can’t be too close to the smoke but it’s hard to avoid it when there are people smoking everywhere. It’s uncomfortable to hold your breath while walking from class to the next or to just be outside doing your homework. They should really be considerate about other people in the University.

I believe that the worst thing about my school is that it is right next to the Mexican border. Literally less than a mile away. The recreation center is very close to it. There is a lot of voilence across the border that does affect the school at times. As far as for my opinion I do believe that the University does go the extra mile to make sure that all students are safe and feel safe at all school hours of the day. The university has a brand new library and many new business and education buildings.

The worst thing about my school is the parking. There is way to many students driving their cars to school and not enough parking spaces for everyone. We pay sixty dollars at the beggining of the semester for our parking permits and sometimes can't even park in the student parking lots because every available space is taken up. We end up parking far from the school and sometimes it causes us to be late for our classes. I don't see how hard it would be to make more parking spaces for the students.

I work and go to school my study hours are not similar to those of the average student, so at times i want to study with a tutor from my department and it is very difficult to find one at the times i need him/her. The majority of the tutoring offices here at campus close at 5 which is when I'm leaving work at times i try to get information by phone but they are never reachable; Anyhow, I always overcome this situation by obtaining classmate phone numbers and asking them questions as needed.

The only complain I have about this school is the lack of better parking areas near the buildings of better interest. Even the students who have a parking pass/permit do not have parking spaces nearby. People park on the sides of the streets in the nearby neighborhoods making it a dangerous road to walk on since the cars block students walking by. However I must admit they have done a good job at creating more parking lots for students while complying with the neighbors or so I assume.

The worst thing that could be here are the dorms. The reason for this is because the school is nice but the dorms are built on an old hotel where there were soldiers stationed back in the day. They leak water when it rains, and are really expensive, but due to the distance from where I live to the school is too far to travel I have no other choice. Not to mention how close we live to the border is dangerous with the Mexican war going on having bullets hitting our dorms.

The worst thing about this school is the admissions department and the financial aid department. Do Not expect to just arrive with all your correct documents and to walk out with everything done. They will provide you with more paperwork, and send you to different offices just for you to end up at the first place you started. You need to do everything more than a month in advance in order to get accepted on time so you can get financial aid on the first dat of school.

What I consider the worst thing at this school is that their isnt any parking during class hours, we have to fight for parking so we can get to class. The University would of been great if it had more parking for us students and even more there isnt too much shade here! it gets really hot since wheir in south texas. So parking and no shade is the worst thing here so far that bothers me.