Chattanooga, TN
The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga

Natalie

They are confused but not afraid to ask questioms.

They are confused but not afraid to ask questioms.

Pay attention in high school. Do not listen to all the older kids who said school does not matter until you reach junior year. They were idiots! Your gpa is one of the most important things during school. Once it goes down it is hard to build it back up, so pay attention, do the work, ask questions if you do not understand, and keep your gpa at least above a 2.0. Do not try and party with your friends if you know you have a test next week that you're concerned about. Parties will always be happening but you really only get one shot at passing a test. You do not always get a second chance. Transitioning into college is hard because you are in a new place but you are not alone. There are hundreds of other kids just like you who are scared and confused so you might as well be scared and confused together. It is scary being so far from home and on your own, but know that your family has your back no matter what, and when ever you want to come home and visit the door is always open.

Marcos

I moved from Chicago to Tennessee at age twelve. Not only was it a complete culture shock but they were well ahead of my educational level. Due to my inability to adjust properly I lost interest in school cheated my way through my education. So what would I say to myself? “Marcos, you did yourself a disservice cheating all those years. Not only will you have to learn new information but you will also be catching up. When you speak to adults you will feel dumb because you don’t know what they're saying, but don’t let that discourage you. There will be classes you may think are not important but they are. Give yourself the time to catch up and learn the new information and with time it will all come together and you will have the power to achieve all those dreams inside your mind. You are going to think you don’t need school but don’t do yourself another disservice and drop out or you’ll learn the lessons the hard way and find yourself back in school in your mid thirties after overcoming the hell of feeling like a complete loser.”

The best thing about my school is the attention to detail. The architecture and landscaping is beautiful. The classes are just the right size. The services offered are great and fit well with Chattanooga. So far the professors are excellent with a clear passion for what they teach. I visited other campuses and none impressed me as much as UTC.

I've yet to experience a bad thing much less the worst, but for now if I had to choose something it's that the library closes early. I would think a college library would be open later than 8 or 9.

Rodeseai

take summer school meet as many people as you can and dont be afraid you only have one life to live

Financial aid, they are always on time with paying my cost and getting information from me in a timely manner

The kind of person who thinks they can play around and pass

Lyndy

In my Sophomore year at St. Cloud High School I had a 4.0. My last two years of High School I Dual Enrolled with Valencia Community College to knock out college while it was free. I got a couple C's and a programming class that I didn't have time for, and failed, and my GPA dropped permanently. My high school GPA turned out to be a 3.66. High School gives you second chances, but in College, they don't. Even if you have a slight chance, you will have to work and grovel and MAYBE they will consider you out of the pool of groveling students. Even at a 3.75 GPA, I would have had a full ride scholarship. No more scholarships, no looking at loans, I could have been set. The hardest part about college is figuring out your strengths, and then don't overdo it. I screwed up. If I could go back in time I would tell myself to take one less class so I could concentrate on the classes I already knew I could pass. I would say, "Take a breather. You're already an A student. Stop pushing it."

Cody

UTC has a very good outdoors recreation center. They give the students a vast assortment of outdoor activity opportunities from kayaking, stand up paddle boarding, hang gliding trips, skydiving trips, snowboarding trips, skiing trips, bouldering, to rappelling. While the campus is focused in the middle of downtown Chattanooga, there is all kinds of places to enjoy the great outdoors nearby.

"You are your own worst enemy. If you can learn to stop expecting impossible perfection, in yourself and others, you may find the happiness that has always eluded you." - Lisa Kleypas, Love in the Afternoon So you don't have your life planned out, so what? Not everybody is the same, so don't compare yourself to others. Strive for greatness that has been exemplified in our country's heroes or even those you've looked up to (Martin Luther King Jr., Abraham Lincoln, Tim Tebow, or Landon Donovan), but embrace YOUR identity. God made you - YOU - for a reason, even if you don't see that now you will see it soon. You are so much greater than you believe you are so stop worrying about the future and regretting the past and start living in the present. When you put your mind to something you can do things you could never imagine doing. "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take take" - Wayne Gretzsky. I love that quote, it's become sort of cliche, but it's so true. So don't be afraid to take shots. DREAM BIG.

I wish I had known exactly what I wanted to do straight out of high school. The advisors we're not particularly understanding that I didn't know what I wanted to major in during my first year. I also wish I had a better understanding of my own strengths and I wish I had known that I was better at writing than I told myself I was. It has taken me a while find my place here, but I'm slowly finding myself.

Timothy

Life is too short to be stuck in a job in which you are not happy. Take this time in your life to explore what you are passionate about, pursue your passion through higher education, and make a better life for yourself. Dedicate more time to learning about what truly interests you and less to frivilous time-wasting activities. Apply for all the financial aid you can possibly locate, so that you can focus more on your studies and less on making a living during this time. Wisely spend what money you are able to obtain and don't go into debt if at all possible. If you can live with your parents to save money, do so. If you must live with roommates to lessen costs, choose roommates, as well as your friends, wisely. Don't cave to peer pressure, listen to your inner voice. Listen well to your parents and professors, their advice is often invaluable. Don't assume you 'know-it-all', because you never will.

Mary

College is not as easy as highschool... you will actually have to study; and study hard! Know this as you enter into your freshman year so that your grades will not suffer..

I wish i had a better foundation of chemistry built up. Highschool did not prepare me.

Getting all the work done on time.

Brian

To not take unnessecary classes, as well to focus more during the first semester due to it being one of the most important semesters one will have during college.

How relaxed UTC is. Whether it is the faculty, to the students, to the laws, and so on. Plus their business school is ranked by Forbes as in the top 100 in the nation.

I wish I had truly known what college life is like. Meaning, how a college student lives and the best way to prepare for this. As well as how to focus best with tons of distractions that come with setting out on one's own.

Paul

I enjoy this school. I enjoy its size, not to big and not to small. There always seems to be something to do in Chattanooga, even more than the more larger cities I have been in. A beautiful surrounding area, perfect for hiking and rowing. Unfortunately our athletics department leaves much room for improvement, I base this purely on the success of our athletic teams. However, I have been told from the "jocks" that the coaches and administration are very good at what they do. There is an organization for everyone here on campus, and some of the most exciting and controversial experiences I've had, i.e. seeing pictures of aborted babies placed strategically around the busiest pathway on campus as a pro life protest, take place between them. Overall, I would say my good experiences outweigh the bad. UTC places at about a seven on a one to ten scale. Now if we could just figure out a way to get better cafeteria food.

Academics are wonderful at this school. In most of its majors the school has at least one big name professor employed. The professors are helpful and intelligible about there subjects. This goes for every class except general education classes, more specifically basic Chemistry. I absolutely hate the way the teachers teach this subject. That being said all around the school has impressed me with its effectiveness, especially being a state school. My major, biology, is represented well here. You can take any variety of classes from Geology to Mycology, all of which are taught by passionate professors that usually allow for individual study with them outside of class. The amount of studying also varies from class to class, which I assume is like most college campuses. With this in mind, if every state school had the academics UTC had they wouldn't receive such a bad rap.

Types of people on campus : Frat kids, Sorority girls, Stoners, Geeks/Nerds, and then everyone else. I would say these stereotypes are fairly accurate. The Greeks tend to stay with the Greeks, in which they have parties, and on average maintain the lowest of the GPA's on campus. The Stoners are here, but of course you barely see them out and about, if you do it will be down at the Yellow Deli, a 24/5 study spot that makes all sorts of "Hippy" type foods, in the middle of the night. Of course there are Geeks/nerds on every campus. At UTC this particular stereotype tends to stray from the smart, socially awkward norm to the mostly just awkward. You can catch them LARPing in the local student park in the middle of the day.

Justin

My High School senior year was very easy academically, yet the college search and application process was quite overwhelming. However, I did apply to all the colleges I wanted to go to, got accepted at every one I applied to, and completed everything I needed to. Everything went smoothly, aside from the financial aspect of college. Having applied for numerous scholarships, not getting even a single one was incredibly discouraging, and I ended up not attending college because of it. My parents have decided to have me pay for my own college with no assistance from them, so finding a way to close the gap between what is paid for and what is needed for college is a serious challenge, but one that shouldn't have discouraged me in to not going. Although I did work and get a better hold on my financial situation, I wish I had gone to college, even if it were a community college. With everything that has happened in the past year, if I could go back and tell myself one thing, I would simply say go for it, and worry about costs and all the technicalities later on, or as they come.

The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.