Chattanooga, TN
The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga

Holly

Dear Me, Stop panicking and breathe. I know that you're in your last year of high school and big, life-changing steps are ahead of you. Remember, college is about you and your future, not anyone else's. Don't let anyone tell you you need to choose a major right now, I still don't even know what I'm doing half the time. Don't let anyone stress you out. After being in college for five straight years now, I know stress and it wasn't until recently that our parents got off our back about choosing some high-classed major that we can't handle. College is supposed to be the best years of your life, but stressing over every detail is going to cause you to miss those good times. Be who you are... not what others want you to be. Breathe and stop worrying about the future. Do what you want to do so you can actually enjoy life. Stressing over school and the future will take away the present. I know it's hard to hear, but what happens will happen. Be who you're meant to be, be the unexpected. -Future You

As a new student with UTC, the only thing I can really complain about it is parking. UTC has several buildings and classes, but they don't have room for all their students. I have to at school at least 45 minutes before class just to get to my class on time due to their bus system. After you fall into routine though, it gets fairly easy. I'm told they will be trying to fix this problem, but there is no true say on when and where this will actually happen.

The type of student that should not attend UTC is a slacker. This is my first semester with UTC and I already have my work cut out for me. I have some form of homework every day and at least one teacher that is very strict in grading. You have to be on your toes and show that you are there for a reason. From what I've seen so far though, UTC is a very active and friendly school. There is something for everyone.

Cameron

UTC is a wonderful place, full of amazing people (once you get them to open up, this is) and excellent professors; in itself, UTC is a cozy campus that is made better if you're willing to take advantage of its opportunities.

There is not a day where I feel as if people take UTC for granted, and everyone here is spirited, but getting people to show it remains difficult.

Nicolette

Nicolette, you really need to make friends and come out of your shell. You need friends to survive that on campus experience. With that being said, get involved! Dont be shy, it may be difficult at first but in the long run you will regret it for years to come. Also, focus on your classes. Make sure you are doing all of your work and asking questions because your grades will become highly affected and you have a tendency to give up once you start struggling. Finally, be nice to everyone. Having friends and making connections in college is crucial to your future. Alot of the people you will meet will impact your life in ways you could never imagine!

I wish i had known more about the campus itself and all that it has to offer. I wish i had done more research and had better prepared myself for the start of the school year since I am a transfer student from Illinois. Just doing my research I couldve had the opportunity to be a part of more on campus activites and groups but I have now missed that window of opportunity.

The people here are very nice and laid back! The campus is small enough to where you get the chance to see and meet alot of people opening your chances to make more friends.

Natalie

They are confused but not afraid to ask questioms.

They are confused but not afraid to ask questioms.

Pay attention in high school. Do not listen to all the older kids who said school does not matter until you reach junior year. They were idiots! Your gpa is one of the most important things during school. Once it goes down it is hard to build it back up, so pay attention, do the work, ask questions if you do not understand, and keep your gpa at least above a 2.0. Do not try and party with your friends if you know you have a test next week that you're concerned about. Parties will always be happening but you really only get one shot at passing a test. You do not always get a second chance. Transitioning into college is hard because you are in a new place but you are not alone. There are hundreds of other kids just like you who are scared and confused so you might as well be scared and confused together. It is scary being so far from home and on your own, but know that your family has your back no matter what, and when ever you want to come home and visit the door is always open.

Marcos

I moved from Chicago to Tennessee at age twelve. Not only was it a complete culture shock but they were well ahead of my educational level. Due to my inability to adjust properly I lost interest in school cheated my way through my education. So what would I say to myself? “Marcos, you did yourself a disservice cheating all those years. Not only will you have to learn new information but you will also be catching up. When you speak to adults you will feel dumb because you don’t know what they're saying, but don’t let that discourage you. There will be classes you may think are not important but they are. Give yourself the time to catch up and learn the new information and with time it will all come together and you will have the power to achieve all those dreams inside your mind. You are going to think you don’t need school but don’t do yourself another disservice and drop out or you’ll learn the lessons the hard way and find yourself back in school in your mid thirties after overcoming the hell of feeling like a complete loser.”

The best thing about my school is the attention to detail. The architecture and landscaping is beautiful. The classes are just the right size. The services offered are great and fit well with Chattanooga. So far the professors are excellent with a clear passion for what they teach. I visited other campuses and none impressed me as much as UTC.

I've yet to experience a bad thing much less the worst, but for now if I had to choose something it's that the library closes early. I would think a college library would be open later than 8 or 9.

Rodeseai

take summer school meet as many people as you can and dont be afraid you only have one life to live

Financial aid, they are always on time with paying my cost and getting information from me in a timely manner

The kind of person who thinks they can play around and pass

Lyndy

In my Sophomore year at St. Cloud High School I had a 4.0. My last two years of High School I Dual Enrolled with Valencia Community College to knock out college while it was free. I got a couple C's and a programming class that I didn't have time for, and failed, and my GPA dropped permanently. My high school GPA turned out to be a 3.66. High School gives you second chances, but in College, they don't. Even if you have a slight chance, you will have to work and grovel and MAYBE they will consider you out of the pool of groveling students. Even at a 3.75 GPA, I would have had a full ride scholarship. No more scholarships, no looking at loans, I could have been set. The hardest part about college is figuring out your strengths, and then don't overdo it. I screwed up. If I could go back in time I would tell myself to take one less class so I could concentrate on the classes I already knew I could pass. I would say, "Take a breather. You're already an A student. Stop pushing it."

Cody

UTC has a very good outdoors recreation center. They give the students a vast assortment of outdoor activity opportunities from kayaking, stand up paddle boarding, hang gliding trips, skydiving trips, snowboarding trips, skiing trips, bouldering, to rappelling. While the campus is focused in the middle of downtown Chattanooga, there is all kinds of places to enjoy the great outdoors nearby.

"You are your own worst enemy. If you can learn to stop expecting impossible perfection, in yourself and others, you may find the happiness that has always eluded you." - Lisa Kleypas, Love in the Afternoon So you don't have your life planned out, so what? Not everybody is the same, so don't compare yourself to others. Strive for greatness that has been exemplified in our country's heroes or even those you've looked up to (Martin Luther King Jr., Abraham Lincoln, Tim Tebow, or Landon Donovan), but embrace YOUR identity. God made you - YOU - for a reason, even if you don't see that now you will see it soon. You are so much greater than you believe you are so stop worrying about the future and regretting the past and start living in the present. When you put your mind to something you can do things you could never imagine doing. "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take take" - Wayne Gretzsky. I love that quote, it's become sort of cliche, but it's so true. So don't be afraid to take shots. DREAM BIG.

I wish I had known exactly what I wanted to do straight out of high school. The advisors we're not particularly understanding that I didn't know what I wanted to major in during my first year. I also wish I had a better understanding of my own strengths and I wish I had known that I was better at writing than I told myself I was. It has taken me a while find my place here, but I'm slowly finding myself.

Timothy

Life is too short to be stuck in a job in which you are not happy. Take this time in your life to explore what you are passionate about, pursue your passion through higher education, and make a better life for yourself. Dedicate more time to learning about what truly interests you and less to frivilous time-wasting activities. Apply for all the financial aid you can possibly locate, so that you can focus more on your studies and less on making a living during this time. Wisely spend what money you are able to obtain and don't go into debt if at all possible. If you can live with your parents to save money, do so. If you must live with roommates to lessen costs, choose roommates, as well as your friends, wisely. Don't cave to peer pressure, listen to your inner voice. Listen well to your parents and professors, their advice is often invaluable. Don't assume you 'know-it-all', because you never will.

Mary

College is not as easy as highschool... you will actually have to study; and study hard! Know this as you enter into your freshman year so that your grades will not suffer..

I wish i had a better foundation of chemistry built up. Highschool did not prepare me.

Getting all the work done on time.

The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.