Fort Smith, AR
University of Arkansas-Fort Smith

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Arkansas-Fort Smith

Dylan

Students at UAFS are determined and strive for an education beneficial towards their future.

UAFS is best known as the community college in Fort Smith Arkansas.

Dylan, please realize that if you continue on the path you're currently on, you will only make it one year in college. After that you will spend the next five years of your life struggling to stay clean and sober. However you will regret nothing, especially since it's made you who you are today, the person God made you to be. The struggle is real, congratulations on your recovery five years from now. You're going to feel hopeless, and like giving up is the only option. I promise you, when you make it through, everything works out and you find a new confidence in yourself, one previously thought impossible to obtain. Anyways, keep your head up, you'll be making straights A's in college, or close to it anyways. P.S. Keep your eyes peeled for the woman named Casey in your future, she's an amazing person and wife = )

Chris

My classmates were either very lazy and mooched off of the harder-working students, or they were supportive and wanted to succeed.

I would tell myself to work harder as a freshman and set a great foundation for my last three years.

I brag about how nice and accessible the small campus is.

Selena

Something unique about UA-Fort Smith is that it's beginning to expand better in the way that it's not only a well-known college in Fort Smith or Arkansas as a whole but it's beginning to expand to other states in the U.S.

If I had the chance to go back in time to my high school senior self, I would tell myself that no matter how many times I want to give up/slack off during the last year of high school, that I have to do my best and try my hardest to do better. College has taught me that you have to pay more than enough attention in class and that you have got to take your education more than serious now, because when it comes to deadlines and final exams, the professors don't spoon feed you like they do in high shool. To take as many ACTs as possible to be eligible for more scholarships, and to make sure my GPA was between a 3.0-4.0 so that I wouldn't have to struggle with not having enough money to pay off college tuition like I am now. If I had the chance, my high school senior self would do all that I could to try even harder, because in a blink of an eye, everything is over and the real world is now infront of you, in your hands, looking back at you.

I don't think there is a certain "type" of person that should attentd here. I think any person with a thirst for extra knowledge that wants to expand on their education to get a better career in life with better experience in their desired field should attend UA-Fort Smith because it is a very well-known university and a great environment where any person can go passed their potential and a person that is ambitious.

Cassandra

My school is very well known for their engaging faculty.

My school is very well known for their engaging faculty.

Hey, I know this is hard to believe but I am you. I have sent this letter to you for some advice that will help you greatly. First, you need to figure out what you want before you go to college and apply for more scholarships. Scratch that. EVERY SCHOLARSHIP. College costs more than you know and you need to know that before you apply. Also, don't worry about what everyone else thinks. After you graduate you really don't see any of those people anymore. You will be ok. Chin up and strive to achieve every single one of your hopes and dreams. Sincerely, Yourself

The lazy person that doesnt want to work for their degree should not go here. They WILL fail.

Tyler

It's the best possible place to go to get the degre that you want.

It's the best possible place to go to get the degre that you want.

Eager and ready to learn.

If i could go back and talk to my high school self, the only thing i would say to myself would be to be yourself. There's no pont in trying to fit in with people that don't already accept you for who you are. Friends you make throughout our college experience will come and go, but some will stay for a lifetime. Before everything else, study. If you don't study a good amount each night, then you'll have to work harder and work more to get to the place you want to be in life. Work smart not hard. College is very enjoyable if you let if be. The experiences you have here will shape the image of who you want to be and further your drive to get to the place that you want to go.

Nicholas

College is the greatest experience I've had in my education so far. It's a shame to think how much greater it would be if I hadn't been the procrastinatory deadbeat I was in high school. Because of my actions (or lack thereof), I am now without a scholarship of any form or fashion, blindly making ends meet. If I could go back and be the one positive influence I was missing in my college preparation, I would have never let myself hesitate to take the most important steps. For example, taking the ACT. I would make myself take it multiple times instead of for the *first time* on the last eligible day. (What was I thinking?) I would make myself visit potential campuses, something I never did. I would encourage the college experience since I had basically given up on it by senior year--I had no idea how great it would be. I would tell myself how quickly two semesters pass, nowhere NEAR the time a school year seemed to last. I would tell myself not to worry so much about going or not going--a full ride ANYWHERE is a FULL RIDE. If I could...

UAFS has extremely reasonable tuition, a nice environment and a great staff. However, it seems the university population is outgrowing the campus. Certain programs are being deprived of sufficient work spaces, such as the theatre department needing a new auditorium and the arts department being spread across five buildings. That said, the university recently put into motion a 20-year master plan to overhaul the campus for the new age, beginning with the arts (which is great news for a design student like myself).

Anyone would fit in just fine at UAFS. There's such a wide variety of people packed into the less than 8,000 population; you're bound to find others like you. However, if you are looking for the big college campus vibe, UAFS may not be for you. Nearly everything is packed into a city block of land, and while it isn't claustrophobic by any means, it pales in comparison to, say, the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. With a wide range of degrees, you'll surely find your place!

Alexy

If I could go back to when I was a senior, I would try to prepare myself for college as much as possible. When everyone said college is difficult, they weren't lying. Good study habits, multi-tasking, and staying focused are essential to being successful. I would tell myself not to take ANY sleep or spare time for granted, don't sweat the small things, and just have fun. There are so many other things I could warn myself about but I think that learning those things by trial and error has assisted me in becoming a better college student. I'd make sure to tell myself that college teaches you skills that last a lifetime and prepare you for your future. So all those tests you will stay up all night to study for will be worth it when you are well equppied for your chosen career.

I wish I had someone to tell me what professors to take and which ones will ruin your lives. It really helps to connect with an upperclassman to get advice. Also, make friends with the university staff because you never know when you'll need a friend with connections.

It gets really frusating when you're trying to finish that last question for your online class and the connection stops becasue the wifi is down. Which is a lot.

Michelle

This school has some professors who really care. I may say a few times that is still more like a community college in many ways, it's very small and most people who attend here do so out of convenience, Fort Smith is the second largest city in Arkansas population-wise. However, the degrees are valid and accepted in many other places, especially in Arkansas, Texas and Oklahoma.

My family chose to move two states away partway through my senior year, so I had many transitioning difficulties. Ironically however, what affected my life the most during that time was that I did not take initiative. I took AP classes and always received As and Bs, but never paid attention to the large changes and deadlines flying at us in school. Now I am paying for it-I could have graduated this month with a BA and begun my Master’s. Instead, I am in the second full year of my degree, balancing an unrelated entry-level job with full-time schoolwork. If I could go back, I would tell my younger self to catch every deadline as early as possible-scholarships, applications, and pivotal graduation requirements. What we do above and beyond the minimum ultimately matters the most. These transitions are what define us, because the whole world is easy compared to attaining the next height. I enjoy college, and handling the schoolwork is not a problem; the lost time is my only regret. I still need this reminder sometimes, but now I have seen why we must never stop reaching, and I wish I had known then.

The low tuition is probably the best, and if you do not like over-crowding then you will love it here. There is some parking left on campus itself, don't need permits, the campus is sort of small for a university too.

If I could go back in time and give myself advive on college, I would say to myself, why should I believe what my teachers told me? They said that we would be doing citations in MLA style , and we use APA. They also said that the teachers would care if we passed, they don't, we have to go at our own pace, and learn things ourselves. Why don't I apply for scholarships before hand? I applied at the last minute. Why don't I rent books instead of buying them? I bought them instaed of renting them. Why don't I get a job on campus? I don't have a job and its killing me to have one. Why don't I take summer classes? It would help me get my degree faster. And why don't I just go at my own pace? Instead of racing to finish first. This would have been really helpful before hand. I wish my teachers would have told me the truth, and I wouldnt have to find out on my own.

The worst thing about UAFS is that sometimes the admissions councelors just blow you off, and dont even try to help you. I think that they should help you in what ever you need and help you as an individual, not just another student or number.

The most frustrating thing about school is if you fail a class you have to retake it, and if you have a learning disorder its difficult to understand why you have to take the class over and over again if you feel you passed. It makes you feel like your brain is worth nothing, and you cant do anything. Some will overcome the stress of not passing a class, some wont, thats why some quit college.

Mike

Knowing what I know now I would tell myself: "Mike in the future you will struggle figuring out your ideal career choice, you will have a wife and child who need you to be the man they look up too. So here and now decide on your future, you have a family who loves you and needs you. Even though times will be hard from here on out. Just remember when you look into their faces. They will look back at you with smiles and un-ending love because you will be the man who never let them down, the super dad who juggled work, school, and home to provide his family with everything they could possibly need and want. Mike you will be a super hero to your family and a man you will be proud as you watch your family grow. So for all of us study hard and focus and I promise you will be honored at the man you become."

University of Arkansas-Fort Smith administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.