Fort Smith, AR
University of Arkansas-Fort Smith

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of Arkansas-Fort Smith

Alexy

If I could go back to when I was a senior, I would try to prepare myself for college as much as possible. When everyone said college is difficult, they weren't lying. Good study habits, multi-tasking, and staying focused are essential to being successful. I would tell myself not to take ANY sleep or spare time for granted, don't sweat the small things, and just have fun. There are so many other things I could warn myself about but I think that learning those things by trial and error has assisted me in becoming a better college student. I'd make sure to tell myself that college teaches you skills that last a lifetime and prepare you for your future. So all those tests you will stay up all night to study for will be worth it when you are well equppied for your chosen career.

I wish I had someone to tell me what professors to take and which ones will ruin your lives. It really helps to connect with an upperclassman to get advice. Also, make friends with the university staff because you never know when you'll need a friend with connections.

It gets really frusating when you're trying to finish that last question for your online class and the connection stops becasue the wifi is down. Which is a lot.

Michelle

This school has some professors who really care. I may say a few times that is still more like a community college in many ways, it's very small and most people who attend here do so out of convenience, Fort Smith is the second largest city in Arkansas population-wise. However, the degrees are valid and accepted in many other places, especially in Arkansas, Texas and Oklahoma.

My family chose to move two states away partway through my senior year, so I had many transitioning difficulties. Ironically however, what affected my life the most during that time was that I did not take initiative. I took AP classes and always received As and Bs, but never paid attention to the large changes and deadlines flying at us in school. Now I am paying for it-I could have graduated this month with a BA and begun my Master’s. Instead, I am in the second full year of my degree, balancing an unrelated entry-level job with full-time schoolwork. If I could go back, I would tell my younger self to catch every deadline as early as possible-scholarships, applications, and pivotal graduation requirements. What we do above and beyond the minimum ultimately matters the most. These transitions are what define us, because the whole world is easy compared to attaining the next height. I enjoy college, and handling the schoolwork is not a problem; the lost time is my only regret. I still need this reminder sometimes, but now I have seen why we must never stop reaching, and I wish I had known then.

The low tuition is probably the best, and if you do not like over-crowding then you will love it here. There is some parking left on campus itself, don't need permits, the campus is sort of small for a university too.

If I could go back in time and give myself advive on college, I would say to myself, why should I believe what my teachers told me? They said that we would be doing citations in MLA style , and we use APA. They also said that the teachers would care if we passed, they don't, we have to go at our own pace, and learn things ourselves. Why don't I apply for scholarships before hand? I applied at the last minute. Why don't I rent books instead of buying them? I bought them instaed of renting them. Why don't I get a job on campus? I don't have a job and its killing me to have one. Why don't I take summer classes? It would help me get my degree faster. And why don't I just go at my own pace? Instead of racing to finish first. This would have been really helpful before hand. I wish my teachers would have told me the truth, and I wouldnt have to find out on my own.

The worst thing about UAFS is that sometimes the admissions councelors just blow you off, and dont even try to help you. I think that they should help you in what ever you need and help you as an individual, not just another student or number.

The most frustrating thing about school is if you fail a class you have to retake it, and if you have a learning disorder its difficult to understand why you have to take the class over and over again if you feel you passed. It makes you feel like your brain is worth nothing, and you cant do anything. Some will overcome the stress of not passing a class, some wont, thats why some quit college.

Mike

Knowing what I know now I would tell myself: "Mike in the future you will struggle figuring out your ideal career choice, you will have a wife and child who need you to be the man they look up too. So here and now decide on your future, you have a family who loves you and needs you. Even though times will be hard from here on out. Just remember when you look into their faces. They will look back at you with smiles and un-ending love because you will be the man who never let them down, the super dad who juggled work, school, and home to provide his family with everything they could possibly need and want. Mike you will be a super hero to your family and a man you will be proud as you watch your family grow. So for all of us study hard and focus and I promise you will be honored at the man you become."

Richard

I would tell tell myself that i need to relax , everything will come very fast. College is serious business, it's not just an extention of high school. What you do in college will determine the rest of your life. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do it or that your not smart, becuase you are. You are a lot smarter than you give yourself credit for. If you continue to doubt yourself it will hold you back from your true potential, all of your relationships will fall apart and you will become antisocial. You also need to fill out more scholarships, because your are very poor and need the money to go to college. That procrasination B.S. that you have been doing in high school won't work, this also goes for your classes too. Anyways i wish you the best of luck, i know you can do it after all you are me. Oh, and by the way no matter how tough things get or how messy the situation, never give in or give up no matter how much you want to fall flat on your face.

Sylvia

This school has a deversity of students both racial and ages.

This school has a deversity of students both racial and ages.

Sylvia,WAKE UP : will you please realize that your choices effect your future.Concentrate!! everyday life struggles are hard now but will be harder if you let them keep you back. Siblings in your in charge are watching you ,you will be the first to go to college the first to blaze the trail you and only you can do that at this time. You must not forget your good study habits,your strong inner drive to succeed ,don't let anyone tell you it isn't worth it ,remember a great mind is made not given! You are worth all that you seek to achieve consistency is the key never ever quit press forward and you can get that degree. Four years will pass no matter if you are in school or not --why not school ? You have more to gain than all the struggles you could ever possibly face, so don't be afraid to succeed.

I wish I had a little better idea how demanding the work load would be and have more knowledge of all resources availabk\le to me.

Evelin

If I could go back in time and advice my own self about transitioning from high school to college I would totally do it. The best advice that I would give myself is to value my education alot more. We often take for granted all the opportunities that we are given in high school. Not knowing what we want to do for the rest of our lives or not wanting to attend college is some of the reasons why students including myself don't appreciate the free services offered out our local highschools. One thing to remember is that we are not always going to live off of our parents or siblings one day we will have to grow up and move on with our lives and whenever that time comes and you decide that going to college is path you are wanting to take don't look at yourself in the mirror one day and regret not taking that extra math class or that anatomy elective you were being offered in highschool. Think that you are being blessed for having opportunities to be successful in your life that other children around the world don't have. Consider yourself lucky.

Based on my experiences at this university I think if a potential student is considering a college where fraternaties and sororities are the main attraction to the college, UAFS might not be the best school to consider. UAFS does have fraternaties and sororities where students can be a part of but they are not as big and known as they are in other colleges. Mostly the fraternities and sororities at UAFS are based on helping the community and individuals at their school rather than "partying and drinking" like they might be in other institutions.

The most frustrating thing I have experienced at this school is dealing with time management. Depending on your major it can get pretty hectic. I am a pre-nursing student and I mostly take biology courses and it seems like the exams and homework assignment are always due at the same time. It can become a little frustrating to me only for the simple fact that I feel I could have prepared a little more If I weren't so time constricted with all my assignments, other than that there's not much to be frustrated about at this university.

Brian

Despair and desolation depicts the soil you stand on, lacking lust and aspiration. Tantalized by success, tormented with constant reminders of inadequacy, you've tethered yourself to a rope of hopelessness and uncertainty. I cannot allow you to proceed to lower yourself into an enthralling hole of self-destruction. Brian, I've lied in that hole, ostracized and broken. I admitted defeat, but for you that's not an option. For potential lies graciously in your palm and opportunity is knocking but growing impatient at your doorstep. You have something I never had: potential and it's enticing. You're a phoenix, Brian: indestructible, unconquerable, and rare. You're standing on the brink of greatness, this advice is all I have to offer and it is catalyst that will take you there.

JULIA

Well UAFS is my dream school as a child and,it has wonderful educational opprotunities and many social events to get envolved in- I love it!

Everyone is helpful and friendly, it's like one big family at UAFS!

Honestly, a year ago, I couldn't see my self here. I was very doubtful of my self. If i could go back, i would tell my self " hey you're gonna make it,; just keep pushing on and hold on to your dreams!". I'll admit there were times i wanted to throw the towel in- but I'm sure glad I didn't!

Jordan

The University of Arkansas at Fort Smith is a newer four year institution that depicts a pragmatic attitude towards the excelling of its students and sees to it that each student makes the best grades possible.

The University of Arkansas at Fort Smith is unique in comparison to other schools I considered because it has a welcome atmosphere. While it has the resources of a university, it offers the attention needed for students as a community college offers. The University has an excelling business department that offers different methods of help for students, whether it be tutoring or personal assistance from the professors. The faculty and staff are excellent at informing students about upcoming activities and opportunities to maximize a full experience at the college by e-mailing or sending out newsletters.

The advice I'd give if I were able to go back and talk to myself as a high school senior would be to take college more serious. Most people do not realize how serious college is until they drop out and never attend school again. College is not cheap and when you pay for it out of your own pocket, you realize what priorities are important to you most. I'd also inform myself about the importance of applying for scholarships and the stress it would relieve myself from if I weren't so lazy as a high school student. Also, when attending college I'd tell myself it's not always appropriate to put off work that could be done ahead of time because you never know when assignments can pile up along with projects and test within a few days. The pressure of being on your own may seem new but letting outside influences overwhelm what's the important task is not worth the risk of being sent back home under the roof of your parents. As a high school senior, stay focuesed on your goal and don't be afraid to ask for help from anyone.

University of Arkansas-Fort Smith administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.