Riverside, CA
University of California-Riverside

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of California-Riverside

Renee

I would discuss the importance of applying to colleges as early as possible. Most universities have rolling admissions. The sooner students apply the greater the chance of getting into their top choices. Also, I would tell myself that when you get to college you need to hit the ground running. The first two years of college are the foundation for your GPA and if you do not build a solid foundation it is hard to make improvements later. I would also let myself know it?s never too early to apply to internships, work experience is priceless. Being away from home really helps you develop faster into an adult. I would stress listening to my parents more because they really do know what they are talking about. When they ask you to cook dinner, they are trying to help you develop cooking skills, not punish you. College is a place where mistakes are made and a time for growth. Learn from your mistakes as well as look for new experiences. College has so much to offer from educational to social activities, its all covered in your tuition take advantage of it. Hit the gym, the freshmen 15 is a killer.

The best thing about my school is the diversity. You can meet some many different types of people not just ethnic diversity, but geographical, gender, and religious.

Sara

My school is best known for being culturally and ethnically diverse.

My school is best known for being culturally and ethnically diverse.

Some who would thrive in a creative environment should not attend this school because it is more research-based, and there are not a lot of students in creative majors.

If you want to be in a competitive academic environemnt, then be competitive when you are in high school. Apply for scholarships, and volunteer so you can have a lot of things to put on your application. College admissions are getting more competitive, and its not difficult to go the extra mile to make yourself stand out. Visit many college campuses, and go out of the box in your search for the schools that may be right for you. Also, start searching for the right college early on, such as in your junior year, if you leave this important search until the last minute, then you could end up wasting your or your parents' money in a place where you are not happy. It's worth it to be aware of many different colleges, so that you have the most choices to choose from.

First of all, no one should feel bad about going to a city/junior college straight out of high school and transferring to a four-year later, so don't. In addition to that, don't believe all of those horror stories about staying at a junior college for ten years, because that won't happen unless you let it. By the time you finish with your general education classes (and yes, you can do it in two years as well as get some undergrad classes for your major out of the way at the same time), you may realize that your first choice college isn't the right one for you anymore. In college, it's about YOUR priorities now, not your parents and not your friends, so you need to focus what they really are. Moving away from your friends and family to pursue what you want isn't a death sentence for your relationships (online networking has insured that). Moving away from your comfort-zone at home isn't as big of a risk as you think it is. New jobs, new friends and new experiences to learn from will come no matter where you are.

The worst thing about UCR is the city of Riverside. The school has a great student life (including live music shows at "The Barn" and events every week), but outside of the school there isn't much to do without leaving the city. It's especially a hassle of you don't have a car. Even if you do have a car, parking at UCR is very limited. They're building more classrooms to fit more students, but don't expect more parking.

If you want a great place to focus on your studies (like I chose), then UCR is great for you. The student life on campus and in the dorms is awesome. There are plays, movie screenings, live bands, and games happening all the time on campus. If you're into a fast-paced city life (like in San Francisco), then Riverside is not for you. UCR is great for the kind of student who wants to finish on time without as many distractions (which helps with student loan debt, by the way!).

danielle

The University of California, Riverside is a diverse college located in the hot terrain of southern california; it aims to educate students in their prospective majors and provides a student-centered, safe, educational environment, including 2 libraries and a recently renovated student commons area, in order to create a perfect balance between a college student's ideal purpose: social gatherings and studying.

If you are looking for a dull, closed -off college campus with minimal amount of students, activities, and clubs then the University of California, Riverside is not the school for you.

The biggest problem in college is the lazy task of procrastinating. Procrastination is the number one cause of failure in college. Whether its procrastinating in doing your homework, studying, or completing any other task, it surely doesn't not help to procrastinate in any way. Keep in mind that their are due dates for everything. The sooner you get a task done, the sooner you can play. There is always a time for everything. Make sure to have your responsiblities your first priority and then you will be able to have fun later. Managing your time well is also a tough task. Therefore, it may be easier to write down the tasks that need to be done and a respective time of when the task should be done. Remember this advice and the college life will be a lot easier to take a hold of.

Terri

Riverside is known for their oranges!

Riverside is known for their oranges!

Don't slack off and work hard. Find things to motivate yourself and think positive. Don't ever let people bring you down.

Students who are racist and uninterested in learning.

Lily

Most of my classmates are friendly and helpful, but there are some who are rude, loud, and inconsiderate which makes me lose concentration in class.

I would suggest to myself to take harder and more advanced classes, so college would not be such a challenge. At the same time, I would tell myself to work more and applied for more scholarships, so there would be less financial stress during college.

It is located in the middle of the desert and there aren't much to do around here. I can't go anywhere without a car and it's dangerous to be out at night after sun down. There aren't enough securities provided by the school.

The only pieces of advice I would give myself are ones that were given to me by other experienced college students that I ignored. I would tell myself the two golden rules: never date someone in your dormitory hall and don't room with your best friend. Other than that, live it up, join as many clubs as your schedule allows, and pay attention in physics, because it gets exponentially harder as you go!

The worst thing about my school that most people would consider bad is that we don't have a football team. It makes it hard for some people to have school pride. However, both our men's and women's basketball teams are div. 1 and it would cost a lot more for students to attend UCR if we did have a football team.

Gabriela

Friendly people who are willing to help you if needed.

Friendly people who are willing to help you if needed.

Some one who enjoys smaller schools where fauclty and staff are helpful and friendly. Learn more instead of worrying about being messed with.

The best advice I have for parents and students about finding the right college is to visit them. Only when you are on campus and have experienced it for yourself will you really understand how you will fit in. Also spending a few days on campus as a part of a shadowing program can also see if you enjoy the class structures and professors.

Yozmine

I would say visit the school you intend on attending. Some schools appear good on paper but you will never know until you visit it. Riverside didn't seem like anything special at all, not until i payed it a visit. It wasn't until then I realised that this school was for me.

I brag mostly about the people at my school. Everyone at my school are so welcoming and are more than welcome to mentor you through school. I've made so many friends that will become lifetime friends. Also the school is so diverse and so I spending time with my friends is like adventure were I experience new things.

I wish I could have known how to balance out my work load. When I first started at this school i was trying to balance classes, study time, track, and my social life. This caused my grades to suffer. After my first quarter I figured out how to balance my time, but I whish i could have known this instead of finding out the hard way.

Kristina

A person who needs constant advisement should not attend this school. Students who are not independent and tenacious may not find the support that they are looking for.

Do your research. Many people do not know what to look for in a college. Location is a big deciding factor for many, but also consider the caliber of the instruction of prospective schools. Ask yourself whether you would prefer a research or an instruction university. Take the time to seek out professors or students at the schools in which you are interested. Once you choose a school, hit the ground running. Meet your advisor so that you can maintain a constant conversation about your degree. Meet and talk with your professors -- you may learn more in their office hours than in their classrooms. Take every opportunity that you can to participate in campus or community activities. The more involved you are with your education, the more likely you will be to apply the knowledge that you learn in the classroom outside of the classroom. One thing to keep in mind: college is a like a crucible -- you are presented with varying knowlege, opinions, and experiences, and they all meld together to form your adult perspective. It is your education and it is up to you to make the most of it.

All advising services, though accesible enough to students, are generally not helpful. Outreach to incoming freshmen seems limited to students in the honors program. A great amount of students feel like they are on their own in seeking advisement about their degrees. They must search and determine the requirements that they must complete on their own. Overall, the university seems to take a "hands-off" approach, which does indeed foster independence, but leaves many students feeling lost at the same time.

University of California-Riverside administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.