Riverside, CA
University of California-Riverside

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of California-Riverside

Shannyn

I cherish every moment as a Highlander. I received a top notch education, from faculty and adminstrators who truly care about their students. One of the greatest selling points about this campus is that the professors really take the time to provide one-on-one instructional time. They actually know your name, rather than just your student ID number. The biggest thing about UCR is it is a place that you go to learn and better yourself. It is not a "party school". The students at this this campus tend to be more mature and focused. The area surrounding the university is quiet and has a suburban quality to it; in fact, much of the faculty lives in the surrounding area.

Everyone was polite and respectful of various backgrounds and personal beliefs. I am prety sure most everyone felt comfortable expressing themselves. In fact, I really learned a lot by witnessing various peaceful demonstrations.

None of these are true. I have met some of the brightest students and faculty during my time at UCR. Most of what happens on campus is academic (internationally recognized), but fails to capture media attention like some of the more popular schools.

I received a B.A. in English, with a minor in History, and an M.Ed. while at UCR. Each of my professors had something valuable to offer. They showed students how to learn for the sake of learning, and that if you did that everything else would fall into place. Many discussions would last well beyond the end of our designated class time, and their office doors were always open for "inquiry". The professors became a part of your life. The English department had an end of the year BBQ at the deparment head's home where faculty and students converged to enjoy each other's company as scholars and as individuals. My time as a graduate student was even more significant as I formed lifelong friendships with my peers and our professors. Some of our professors even attended our cocktail party when we graduated. To this day, if I needed professional assistance, I am quite sure I could call on any one of them.

The main stereotypes about UCR is that it is the "back-up" school. The perception has been that if you went to UCR it was because no other school would take you.

KC

If you want to go to UCR you have to get to know your professors. Try and fail or try and join a social group. Live in the dorms your freshman year. Smoke and or Drink. Drink and or smoke. Go to a party as soon as possible. Get drunk as shit and scam on as many guys or girls as possible to get the idea of the layout. Bear facts: fuck it. ignore everyone and bother only with registration. Then take a dump on everyone who wants to be your friend.

Refer above to section on stereotypes.

Fuck it man, UCR REALLY SUCKS because they dont allow liquor very liberally on campus yet but they are letting on. The cops are really shitty sometimes. but the best times are those spent on campus at 1 in the morning drunk as fuck with a large group of people. eat a dick!@

Absolutely true 100 percent accurate

Fuck the classes with a pop of 5000+ The upper division classes are generally better at focusing on student proficiency. Dont give your professor shit on the first couple weeks of classes. A good many of them take a while for you to warm up to them. Go to class. The more you ditch in the wrong weeks the dumber you are. The best weeks to ditch are 4th week for 500+ classes and 8/9th week for 15-30 group classes generally need your participation at all times especially upper division workshops. Atmosphere within group classes and upDiv's in your major generally are more enjoyable as time goes on. All lowdiv classes usually are huge pains in the ass.

sometimes nooner is cool. KA died ATO parties struggle on and All the Rest are just the Shit as in bad unless its at a highly publicized club event or a really dank house. Keep it up with facebook. find people to hangout with on the weekends to give UCR better amenities

Asians. Norcalites. San Diegan Douches. Hispanicos. La Raza De UER. Wiggers from Calabasas. Lame kids who Commute. Dry Campus Shitty Parking. Never any weekenders.

joe

uc riverside has really dry crappy weather, there is a lot of construction so whoever is here i would say by 2012 is gonna be pretty lucky, there is not much pride here and there is not much of a "college town here" unlike Berkeley. Berkeley is like the best place for a college student to go because there is a lot of student involvement, school pride, a good football team, great people, and everywhere is walkable and there is so much different stores/eateries to visit also you can BART it to san fran anytime.

student body is pretty diverse. for anyone looking to join a fraternity/sorority look into the greek system and for anyone looking for coed i would suggest DSP or APhiO

GET OUT THERE AND MEET AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN DONT DISCRIMINATE THERE ARE SOME GREAT PEOPLE HERE AT RIVERSIDE. DONT COME HERE WITH YOUR WHOLE HIGH SCHOOL AND BE A COCKY LITTLE BITCH

academic wise.... uc riverside has a lot of professors who use powerpoint and it is really damn boring also some professors you just cant understand. there are only a few professors worth taking and for anyone who is a business major TAKE REAL ESTATE BEST CLASS EVER WITH A GREAT PROFESSOR.

I would say GO GREEK or if looking for a coed frat do DSP or APhiO

that they are a part of uc rejects

Paul

UC Riverside is nestled in the heart of the Inland Empire. On the outside it may not have the appeal of other UC schools but it is a true story of beauty within. Despite it's stereotype of being a commuter school and a last resort UC (refuted above) UC Riverside supports some of the most recognized Researchers in the world. The lecturers and professors were highly accessible and eager to help me throughout my education. For those more interested in student life UC Riverside offers a plethora of student clubs, fraternities, sororities, and organizations that will keep you plenty busy outside of classes. I spent most of my time on campus in classes and in the commons spending time with my friends. The one thing I would changed about UC Riverside is to bring back the football team! Yes, UC Riverside had a football team in the 60s. So I challenge anyone choosing a school in the UC system to seriously consider UC Riverside as a first choice instead of a last.

UC Riverside has one of the most diverse student bodies in the United States.

The first stereotype is accurate and there are a lot of students who commute to campus for their education. The second and third stereotypes are completely inaccurate. In fact, UC Riverside has some of the most intelligent and recognized Professors and Researchers in the World.

Like anything in life, academics at UC Riverside will give back to you what you put into it. I worked hard and asked as many questions as it took to get the answers I needed to succeed. UC Riverside like most schools and Universities will not necessarily prepare you for a job. UC Riverside prepares you for a career! I now have a very high paying job in the the high tech medical industry in the Bay area.

UC Riverside is stereotyped to be a commuter student campus. It has also been called things like UC Reject and UC Last Resort.

Parker

I have loved my experience at UCR because there are so many ways to get involved on campus, and there are so many genuine people here. The only reason people try to put Riverside down is just because it is not a college town, but other then that most people can't complain. Our campus is constantly growing with new buildings like our new commons and Interdisciplinary building. Also our ASPBoard continues to provide us with either free or low costing concerts like Chris Brown, Ludacris, E-40 and others. They also give oppurtunities to upcoming bands to show their stuff on Wednesdays, which is called Wednesday Nooners. Student life also funds programs on Thursday Night for Organizations on Campus who want to have events, but who don't have all the funds needed. There is usually so many events happening that it is hard to keep up, and I would say that that is one of the best things about my campus, There is always something to do.

Honestly I think students of UC Riverside could and need to work harder on interacting more with people of different backgrounds. Though I think there is a good mixture of it, it can still improve. Any student who is not willing to step out of their comfort zone every once in awhile will feel out of place at Riverside because though there are a lot of cool people who are quick to offer assistance, they can't and probably won't do all the work. College is what You make it and if you have a positive attitude, get involve, and put yourself out there you should have a Great experience, even with the Ups and Downs.

I love my college experience, I have had the Great and the Horrible and if I was asked to do it again I would do it twice. With any college that you choose what makes a great experience is if you come in with a positive outlook, and you make the best of every situation. People will always have something negative to say about everything, as long you are enjoying yourself and succeeding in school thats honestly all that matters, really.

Not completely, there is usually something to do every week if not everyday on the campus and even within the outside community there are different restuarants, museums, and other things to get into. Though Riverside is not a college town like Berkeley, it is right in the middle of LA and San Diego. The only not so great thing I will say is that it is a little difficult getting to those places without a car; however, the transit system continues to improve And students get to ride it for free.

The best thing about education at UC Riverside is that the professors want to see you do more then just get a degree. They really want you to leave with a career, a internship, or heading to grad. school. Its more about learning and then really being able to use what you have learn and apply it to the world. Of course don't get me wrong we do have some not so great teachers and classes, but you will find that at any college University or not. What helps when you find yourself in trouble with a class or two is that we have great support systems, like the learning center, where you can get free walk-in tutoring. Also there are different clubs whose aim is to support and help students who have the same major. Which people really use lol I know my friends surprised me when they would tell me they couldn't hang out because they were getting tutored or have a study group. At UC Riverside asking for help and support does not show weakness it shows that students are Determined to Succeed which only helps to push other students.

That there is nothing to do and it is in the middle of no where

Okay, I can only talk to you about my experiences, but there are a lot of different experiences out there. My freshmen year I went to parties a lot, like every week and weekend lol and I learned that though the party flier might say "The BEST Party of Year, DON"T MISS OUT" next week there will be another flier that says "The Ultimate..." There will always be another party...Always so don't get to caught up. From my perspective there really isn't any groups more popular then others some are just known for throwing good parties over others. Though I have talked a lot about parties there are a lot of other things to do, and a lot of different events put on by different organizations. Also there are places off of campus that are pretty cool.

Shelby

Riverside has some really cool people and for the most part the campus life is pretty chill. The faculty and administration are too easy in their teaching of the curriculum.

The student organizations are very involved on campus and they are a lot of fun. A lot of the student body seem to be with some student organization.

Overall UC Riverside was an experience that I will not regret nor ever forget. Before I came to here I had my choice between UCB and UCR. I'm glad I picked UCR, I had a lot of fun and made life long friends.

Not completely, but I guess there is some truth to it.

The students at Riverside are not challenged enough! The professors are too easy, so students know exactly what to do to get by in class.

Riverside students are the other UC rejects and we are lazy.

Eli

The best thing about UCR is that it's a pretty campus and it's just the right size, not too big but not too small. Sure, Riverside is not a 'college town' because half of its students commute, but it is a good school that has a lot of intelligent students and professors who have something interesting to say. I like to spend time in the new Commons area, it is spacious and a nice environment to hang out or to study.

Most students are either politically unaware or are just plain apathetic toward politics. The dress on campus is pretty casual, jeans and a tee and some chucks maybe. Alot of students interact with each other and are of different ethnicities. The majority at UCR-which I have heard is about 40%--is Asian so you see a lot of Asians hanging out together. UCR is a melting pot; there are students from all over----India, Pakistan, Dublin, Mexico, Nigeria, etc. This is probably one of the coolest things about UCR.

UCR is a good school and I think this school will go through a lot of changes for the good; that way everyone who goes to this school in the future won't be so mad that they attend UCR.

Both of the aforementioned stereotypes are not completely true; sure, maybe UCR wasn't everyone's top choice but it is a good school. It is possible that the majority of students at UCR really are apathetic but there are a small handful that do vote in elections, recycle, and might just do many other things outside of school.

I have had the honor to take many classes with some of the best professors here at UCR. Some were political science classes or math classes. The majority of students do study but I believe we also know how and when to let loose and just chill. I would say a good number of students actually have intellectual conversations outside of class. The education at UCR that I have earned is geared toward getting a job and for the sake of just plain learning.

There is a huge sterotype that UCR is the school you choose because you didn't get into any of your top picks. There is also the sterotype that UCR students are all apathetic about everything.

I was invovled with Calpirg for about 1 year and a half, which is a public interest research group that motivates students to fight for many different things through petitioning, informing, or demonstrations. When I was in the dorms my first year, my roommate and I left our door open and we talked to tons of people in the hall. You usually make friends with people who are in your classes and those who you meet your first year or through clubs you join. I do not drink or party. I am usually at Church on the weekends and I enjoy telling people about Christ and what He did at the Cross and how man is wicked in thought, word, and deed and because God so loved the world He stepped down from His throne and died at Calvary to redeem us to Himself. Man must repent----turn from his wicked and selfish ways---and put his trust in the Lord Jesus Christ. Christ will change a man from the inside out---he will hate what God hates and loves what God loves. God hates sin, so man should hate sin and should 'die' to himself [that is his flesh] and depend on God to work through him so that Jesus will ultimately be glorified, because He is so worthy! check out wayofthemaster.com

Jessie

You want the Big Picture of UCR? Type "smog" into Google Images, and just envision some fires and gang shootings added into the picture.

UC Riverside has the lowest admissions standards, so it doesn't come as a surprise that the student body is largely unimpressive. Student demographics vary strongly depending on which college you belong to (CHASS, COE, or CNAS). If you're in CHASS, then it's a safe bet that 90% people you'll meet in your classes are slow-minded, a bore (and sometimes a pain) to converse with, and not worthy of any networking efforts. As a general rule, there are two classes of people on campus: People from San Francisco, San Diego, Orange County and the nicer parts up and down the coast will be drawn to each other and develop friendships, while ignoring students who are from hometowns with lower estate value (especially Riverside natives).

Buy an oxygen tank and a bullet-proof vest if you intend on going to UCR. You'll need the former just to walk around outside, and the latter if you intend on going downtown.

If the University of California system wide mandated its students across all campuses to take an IQ test, the average Riverside score would be a very dismal outlier when graphed in comparison to the average scores of other campuses. I give you one guess as to which direction the outlier will be found...unless you're a typical UCR student, in which cases you may need more than one guess. There are only a small handful of students who turned down offers from better universities just because UCR bribed them.

for CHASS: classes are a joke. Upper division business classes are even easier than the business classes some well-funded high schools offer. The business school is still recovering from the nuke that the Provost dropped on them a few years back, although the new Dean hired from USC does have very ambitious plans to correct all the wrongs. The only positive aspect of being a CHASS student is the fact that students who either actually study or are smart can easily get 3.75+ GPA and transfer the heck out of this desolate wasteland after two years. UC intercampus transfers (outgoing) are extremely typical. Many students get offers from UCLA, UCSD, and UCSB. Once you get to May of your second year, you'll most likely bid farewell to 70% of the competent students on campus that you've gotten to know, because they'll all be transferring out... no one wants a lifetime association with a disgusting city like Riverside.

Your experience may vary. I had a great time my freshman year in the dorms, but also knew of many who went home every single weekend. As for the pathetic campus events that the university's programs board actually organizes...eww. They're indicative of just how great of a cultural black hole this place really is.

Chris

The close proximity to San Diego, Los Angeles, local mountains, and the desert mean that you can escape to many different locales on breaks. Riverside is not the greatest city in Southern California, but it is constantly improving. There is plenty to do! Unfortunately, the athletic program does not receive much support and is always struggling. The campus is for students of all kinds (note that it is one of the most diverse campuses) and is an environment where you can succeed if you work hard. Go visit and see for yourself... the best thing to do is to speak with students that attend the school (not necessarily the kids that lead tours).

There are students of all kinds at UCR. Racial, religious, LGBT, fraternity/sorority, and other groups fill the campus. You are bound to identify with one of the groups. It is a very friendly campus where there is a friend for everyone. There is a cooperative feeling that is not found at other campuses that extends from the students to other students, professors, and everyone at the university. Students are not very politically active, although if you would like to show off your "Buck Fush" t-shirt or "Free Tibet" stickers, there are plenty of people to hang out with at the cafeteria. Most students would say the university is quite liberal (I have never met a conservative or even right-of-center professor, but who has), there are some pretty active Young Republicans that you can see in-person. The student body is slightly divided, with common groups broken up by majors and ethnic claims, but it is probably less divided than other campuses. GO TO UCR to see what it is like... don't take my word for it.

As an alumnus, I would recommend UCR wholeheartedly. Just work hard and don't major in something where you are not challenging yourself to the fullest.

Yes and no. It is hot (half the year and smoggy). It may not be as prestigious as UCLA or UCSD, but I would stress that it is comparable to all other UC programs. Although it has been deemed the "UC of Opportunity," it is by no means easy. One can always find a major and coursework that is intellectually strenuous (i.e. any of the sciences, engineering, or economics). If you wish to simply have fun, go to any university and study something that requires little effort (sociology, psychology, or ethnic studies).

The classes are huge. Proficiency in written English (there is a great deal of writing) and mathematics is required for nearly everything worth studying. You may have professors that do not speak perfect English. but... The professors are some of the top researchers in their fields and can be contacted with ease. There is a plethora of decent things to study and the university offers almost any coursework you can conjure up. There many opportunities for research, both with professors and independently. Research facilities are some of the best in the country.

The biggest stereotype about UC-Riverside is that it is easy and somehow less prestigious when compared to the other UC campuses.

There is a top-notch outdoors program that is better than any in the country. Other than that, students participate in typical activities: intramural sports, dances, movies, etc. The athletic program is awful. The fraternity/sorority scene is very cool, unless you are not in one and I tend to think they are pretty lame. It is definitely not a party school but you can always find a party. Living on or near campus is a must! There is not much going on outside the university in the city of Riverside. The dorms are a blast for freshmen year.

Bevan

UCR needs a football team. That would bring a lot of students together and more activities for the University.

Fraternity/Sorority Life made UCR a little more bearable since you got to meet a lot of new people and party more than the average UCR student.

University of California-Riverside administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.