Riverside, CA
University of California-Riverside

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of California-Riverside

Sandy

I feel it is a good school for the Sciences. This is also a good place if you are interested in undergraduate research. I am a mechanical engineering student and have been able to do a couple different research projects because of the availability.

Asain, and From Southern California

UCR has had its activities fun level increase over the past years. So I would say that it will continue to get better by looking at the trend so far.

William

UCR is a school where you can experience a lot of opportunities as well as learn in the classroom in that UCR in comparison to UCLA or UCB has Latinos and African Americans beyond just lip service and because of the multi-culturalism there is a great feeling of community and unity in my opinion. The school is nice and Riverside a good place, but it is not a huge city like LA but it is very close to Irvine and LA if you want to do other things on the weekends. School Pride is very low-Number 1 reason is no football team, and the feeling that this is an ok school by many especially the upper tier students as many have scholarships-this leads many to seek transfers. Also our mascot the Highlander-is really a bear so ....not exactly a clear idea for everyone to take pride in, there are many buildings with Scottish names. I would say the worst thing about Riverside is the lack of social community in that many go home for the weekend and don't stay and have fun like during the week; they could really make a cool place I believe. Controversy came lately with the Chancellor leaving for another school, but she got the UCR medical school on track and that will raise or visibility quite a bit especially in the region. We have as of yet had not replacement. There are many groups on campus that you can get involved with Mecha, Student Govt(ASUCR), frats, sororities, professional societies, Honors(one of the best funded in the country), all kinds of groups even jugglers, Dems, Republicans, ASPB-they have 10 million budget and put concerts and other event on campus. We have a Wednesday concert every week called a nooner and this is the best day of the week for culture and students as there are many vendors that come on campus and it is a cool vibe.

The socio-economic mix is significant in that we have people from the tough parts of California and those that partied in Orange county and so could not gain admission into a better school, the dichotomy of personality, race, wealthy, status, and background is vast. A case study would be PAD-we have Persians, WASPs, Latinos, African Americans, Koreans, Chinese republicans and dems though many more dems than republicans and that is true of the entire school. Lower middle class and upper lower class would be the norm, but there many upper middle class as well. Most students at politically apathetic and if active leftist, many want their degrees just for a job, but others don't so it depends. There are many race oriented organizations so if you wish to isolate yourself you can, but many groups don't have race as a criteria as honors or PAD and a few others-I never affiliate with the bigoted and racist ones-but they exist if you want only people of your color-many spew PC nonsense and only encourage petty ideology. These are in the minority as many who come here have friend of all colors and creeds so know that before you come.

Anything is up to you reinvent yourself and be who you wish to be and not what others wish you to be. I have made many mistakes, but l learned from them and so I have no great regrets. UCR won't force you to do anything, but I say hit the ground running and go out for everything as freshman classes are a breeze-make lots of friends early and make sure to value social life highly because if you want to be bored you will be.

Many do commute here and while we do accept many of those who apply, diversity is not just a word you read in a book at UCR-which is great in my opinion. I had this school only as a backup, but they offered me a scholarship and I went with it and I have no regrets, many in the honors program and top campus students are on scholarship so apply as a backup and see what they offer you, and for those that are more state school or CC oriented, this school is very welcoming to transfers and some who might not otherwise make UC grade. Quality greatly depends on the department, so I say visit and talk to some students is always the best way to know if it is right or not for you. 50% commute and even more go home for weekends as most live near by, so that means best parties are always Thursday. But given the LRDP(Long Range Development Plan) there will be massive building and expansion, already underway, to make the campus have 70% residents and not commuters-so calculate that into any decision. UCR is a good school I have had classes on study abroad and at summer sessions elsewhere and they are on par with any school in the US but again departments vary as it is with all schools.

Professor access is one of the coolest things there is at UCR most of them you can easily talk to and get feedback from, there are some lecturers but many are full bore professors with ongoing research which is nice to have in the classroom. Favorite classes at UCR have been philosophy as we have a very good department there and it is heavy on modern social theory-Rawls as the head of the department did his PhD at Harvard under Rawls. There are many chances to have intellectual conversations after class, but if you don't wanna have one there is still places for you, I like discussing the material and do so with friend in honors and PAD-my co-ed frat and it is quite nice, but I know those who just want a degree and just party so either way it is up to you. Competition is almost non-existent I cannot remember a class where I didn't have ample opportunity to study with others and get along fine. I would say it is a good atmosphere overall of working together. Academic requirements depend on department but there are many who get into the school who must take remedial classes and who stay quiet in the classrooms, but I usually ignore them and focus on the ones who speak as I do. Me department is History and it is ok but not bad, there are good professors but it has few strengths and low requirements, I would have changed it but went abroad for year and making it work would have been difficult. I minored in Philosophy but if I had the time and money I would have majored in that as I loved it. General requirements are extensive-bio, math, liberal arts-nearly a year of class for me, but more for some depending on CC and AP transfer units.

That we are weak academically because of our very high acceptance rate and that we are a commuter school. Don't deserve to be called a UC or the "bastard" of the system.

Thursday is party night-we are not a drunk school but if you want a party there is usually one to be had. Dorms are nice in Lothian and A&I but pentland is bad-security doors act to restrict interaction btwn people which is atrocious. There are guest speakers all the time on campus, but you have to see when they are and go, athletic events are not popular free food and stuff are given away at games to get people to come. Dating scene depends on your crowd, but it is definitely not a Roman orgy like UCSB, promiscuity is acceptable but I know many who are practicing abstinence successfully and still remain social-it is up to you really. Closest friends are from honors and PAD people who were ambitious and intellectual like me became my best friends at UCR. If awake at 2 am on Tuesday it is either for class or over a toilet inducing myself to vomit. Parties are weekly maybe 2-5 depending and dead at mid-terms and finals. Frats and Sororities are important especially socially on campus as they throw a lot of parties and politically with ASUCR. Sat night no drink-billiards with friends, movie at the Univ village, eat out, clubs in Riverside, party. I live on campus and have no CAR! So I stay on campus, but having a car is really nice for convenience. There are concerts, comedians, speakers, and other events all the time on campus-as a freshman I went to anything with free food so yeah:)

Tina

The best thing about UCR is the fact that the campus is not so big compared to all the other UC's so it doesn't take forever to walk from one end of the campus to the other. Many professors and TA's at this school are also very friendly and caring and many students build lasting relationships with many people amongst the faculty. One thing I would change is definitely our diner area on campus. It's actually being renovated right now! My school is just right. When I tell people that I go to UCR they immediately know where it is and what the "R" stands for. Just hearing that it's a UC, people immediately think your a good student which is a benefit. I spend most of my time in the plazas around the school like University Village and Canyon Crest Plaza. One experience I'll always remember at this school is definitely the dorm days when everyone first experienced college life and made new friends.

UCR has a very diverse group of people. I believe eastern people would feel out of place because there are not many of them on campus. People dress very casual to school, jeans and a t-shirt. Most students stay around others who are similar to them or have a common interest. Most of the students are from LA and inland empire area. Most of the students here are pretty spoiled.

stay in pentland if your dorming first year. It's the newest dorms and it's worth the price.

These stereotypes are somewhat accurate. Yeah, many people do tend to slack off since they think that they could pass their courses easily. But there are many students who try really hard to get good grades throughout all 4 years of their college career here at UCR so they could put it in their resume of outstanding academic performance in the future.

Professors definitely know my name, especially after taking several courses with them. My favorite class would be all the marketing courses I've taken. My lease favorite is definitely accounting and financing! Students always study a day before the test at this school. Class participation is very common. Most students dont have intellectual convos outside of class and yes students are competitive here. UCR's academic requirements are quite challenging but not hard to accomplish.

The most popular groups would be the sports teams and the sororitites and fraternities. I never joined one though because it's a waste of time and money. Your pretty much paying for friends so if you want to get to know more people then join one of those organizations. Athletic events are pretty popular. When i'm awake at the butt crack of dawn I'm either watching a movie with my friends or surfing the web. On a saturday night everything involves drinking, unless you want to read a book =)

Some stereotypes about UC riverside students is that they are the rejects of all the UC students since it is ranked on the bottom compared to all the other UC's. However, what people don't know is that UCR is improving in its courses offered and the campus is adding new structures as well, making UCR a more pleasant school to attend. When people think of UCR students, they think of slackers since they think that UCR is an easier college compared to all the other UC's. We actually do have alot of tough courses here and the business administration is one of the best programs offered in the whole UC system.

tom

i dono, neveer heard about them doing anything other than being voted..... which shows that they are not active.

if you are thinking about UCR, u should not think about it anymore....

very bad, only 10% of the teachers here are good, 20-30% are average, rest of the teachers are really bad. when you dont have any problem or question, u r fine. once ANY problem occurs on u, school administration will kick u around like a soccer and ur problem will be 1. never resolved. 2.solved 2 years later.

3 options for u: 1. be a nerd and study all day long 2. joing fraternity or sorority and become sluts and gigolos 3. face computer and play games all day long.

UCR is in the middle of no where (true) UCR is boring(true) UCR sucks (true) UCR sucks because we only have a few good teachers..... (true) Average students in UCR graduate in 5 years (true, not cause the students are dumb, but the teachers and administrative ppl are stupid) i am ugly (false)

KJ

UCR is intensely diverse and that makes it important. The cultures are represented by great student organizations, and if you want to experience something refreshing and different, the proud student bodies are there for you. The thing about the diversity is that it's very segregated. There is no animosity or lack of unity, it's just that all the ethnic groups get wrapped up in their own worlds and have little time to really come together and collaborate on something intensely multi-ethnic. But the potential is there, and when it comes down to it (such as during student government elections) the groups know how to come together on one platform. School size is just right. I never feel like I'm just one of the faceless masses, but it's exciting to see new people all over the place. UCR has some unique majors that it deserves credit for. Business Administration and Creative Writing are two great programs that are either non-existent or rare at other UCs, for example.

Diversity is UCR's strongest suit. The biggest, most active groups on campus are typically the Pilipino/Filipino Student Organization (Katipunan), Nigerian Student Association (NSA), MEChA and Chinese Student Association (CSA). But it goes beyond ethnicities. There is a really well-regarded LGBTI resource center, a great Women's Resource office, and good student organizations/departments in support of Jewish & Muslim students/programs. We are all generally students who either owe our education to grants & loans, or students who work way too many jobs to pay for their tuition. There aren't many rich people, and the ones that are there don't really seem to flaunt it all the time. It builds a more down-to-earth, humble yet uncertain student body.

Mostly, but they are not as impossible to live with as it seems. UCR is, for now, the "catch-all" school, but because of it, it attracts a wide variety of interesting people. People who are not just workaholic over achievers, but intelligent yet flawed people. Everyone has an excuse, it seems. Yeah, it's not the most beautiful school either, largely because of all the construction that never seems to end. But construction means in a decade it will be a really good looking university. Until then, we deal with the big fenced holes that are created and cleaned up within half a year. Despite accepting so many students, that doesn't mean all the dumb ones are at UCR. I've met some really amazing, intelligent people at UCR. There are unique artists, giant personalities, and profound intellectuals. You can't judge a student body by it's acceptance rate.

As a Creative Writing major, the teachers in the department are great. They are interesting, passionate and really connect with students. They remember your name, they remember your writing, and they can help you through all of your doubts and problems with writing. The students in the workshops are also great. They're talented, some them are definitely going to get big. But you don't get jealous, because everyone is so warm and humble that it builds community. The most unique class I've taken is called Rondalla Ensemble. It is a small class, once a week, that teaches you the instruments in a Rondalla Ensemble, a Philippine musical group. These are fourteen-string guitars, about as small as a ukelele (some have long necks), focused on tremolos. No other school offers such a cool, specific, cultural instrument on a reliable basis.

Students in dorms leave their door open in Aberdeen & Inverness and Lothian. Pentland Hills is the anti-social dorm, just because of how it's built and separated. But they also get their own bathrooms, so that's the trade off. Easy friends versus cleanliness. There is nearly nothing to do in Riverside. You can go to LA for the weekend, or just do something with friends that is not Riverside-specific.

The stereotype is that UCR is not the brightest or the best UC. As the lowest ranked school in the UC system, it is often seen as the "catch-all" net. It is where everyone who meets the general UC requirements gets accepted automatically. So the acceptance rate is double that of, say, Berkeley. It's also seen as one of the less visually impressive schools. Riverside itself is seen as an ugly area - images of dirt, smoggy air, and fenced in horses.

Denny

I think the best thing in UC Riverside are the faces that you see when you walk around campus. UC Riverside offers so many learning opportunities because of the broad cultures that make-up the campus. One thing i would like to highlight is the pride that UCR students are now showing. I have been at UCR for four years now and have seen small movements where students attempt to raise moral, but the new in coming class is composed of the most dynamic and spirited people I have ever meet.

The composition of diversity at UC Riverside is one that seeks to education everyone about his/her cause. Riverside is a great place to learn about different people and different lifestyles. The idea that someone would not fit at UC Riverside is hard to imagine because we are so diverse that anyone can find their nitch on campus.

No matter what University I may attend for Graduate School, there will be those days that I will sport my UCR letters because it is a place that I have come to consider as my second home.

The academics at UC Riverside are great in my opinion. I am a double major (Film and Media Studies/Political Science) and UC Riverside was able to graduate me in four years while allowing me to pursue personal interest at the same time.

One of the stereotypes that I have encountered throughout the years is the notion that students at Riverside dont want to be there. In all honesty we have a wide range of diverse and competitive students that had Riverside as their first pick as a University.

The campus dorm life is a must have in my opinion at least for your first year in college. The dorms is the place where I meet the people that I know consider my closest friends four years later. It is interesting that when one is forced to share a bathroom, a room, and eat together there is such a sense of community. On campus I am involved with two organizations: La Union Estudiantil de la Raza (UER) and The Associated Students of the University of California Riverside (ASUCR). UER is a brotherhood that places a high emphasis on education: the native cultures of the Inca, Maya, and Aztec are our focus along with current events. My group is one that believes in the value of teaching along with that of providing services back to the community and having social events to relieve the anxieties of the college atmosphere. ASUCR is something that I got involved as a first year because I wanted to make a difference as a college student. I know that as college students we all talk about the great things we will do with our degrees once we get them, but I saw no reason to wait till I got a degree to act upon these issues. Student government is something that has allowed me to grow as a person and has introduced me to wonderful people.

University of California-Riverside administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.