University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

Students at UF seem to study a lot, but they also know that there is a time for work and a time for play. They know how to budget their time and have pretty well developed time management skills. Students are not that competitive; most of the competition was when you were trying to get into UF, not when you are actually in. There is a lot of competition if you are Pre-Med or something like that though. The classes for the most part are not that bad, except for a few. I feel that the academic requirements are fair for the most part, except that in CLAS you have to take a foreign language because for me, it has nothing to do with my major and it will just be an annoying waste of time.

The academics are great for the most part. I usually take all psychology, sociology, and gender studies classes. My teachers are really good about getting to know students' names. There are a lot of in-class discussions, and kids always volunteer information. From what I've seen, the kids take studying seriously. A joke floats around that you know you're at UF when you walk by kids in a conversation and overhear them talking about their lectures, their tests, and their fields instead of boys/girls, partying, etc. I would say that UF is geared toward teaching you how to get a job, but also learn about the world. It's not just one or the other.

The academics at my school are great. The professors have a large knowledge base and amazing stories from experience. They offer so many classes in so many things it is bound to catch your attention. I love the fact that they have such interesting classes about topics I would love to learn about. My all time favorite class was homicide, in which i was able to learn about infamous serial killers and different degrees of murder. My majors, Criminology and Anthropology, both in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, is the best. We have amazing advisors who are always willing to help guide you in the right direction and get back to you quickly.

Professors - don't know your name unless you are at their office hours all the time. The classes here are typically huge. Most of mine have 200-700 people. Study - you will work hard if you are here. I study on average a good 20 hours outside of class a week. And I am about average, plenty of people hold up in the library for ridiculous hours. Intellectual conversation - People have strong convictions at UF. Politics, religion, and many other topics are typically overheard in the dining halls. Given, so are talks of thursday night at "Whiskey Room".

The classes here are taught by qualified professionals. But many times the classes are crowded and it is hard to get to know the professor. They are always available in their office hours and by appointment. Some classes, like in the English department are small and personal, however. Class participation is very common and most teachers include it as part of your grade. I actually had a teacher keep track of how many times I participated. The most interesting class I took was Russian Fairy Tales, where we read and discussed native Russian folk stories.

I've been satisfied with my classes at UF. As you go deeper into you major, classes tend to get better - class sizes get smaller, professors get more enthusiastic, and the coursework more closely matches what you're interested in. So much of the academic environment depends on your major - as a Computer Engineering student, classes are very project based. I spend a lot of time with group members in the computer lab, slaving away before the next big due date. But if you enjoy the subject matter, you'll enjoy the work.

Academics at UF vary greatly depending on your program. As a student in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, I must say that it is sad how our college is in so much debt and it is the students and teachers who are suffering the most. Other than that, I would say I have taken some classes that were wonderfully challenging and incredibly informative, but I have also wasted a lot of time in classes which were being taught at a high school level--powerpoint, open book quizzes, online tests, etc.

Academics are average at UF. Right now I'm in a lot of general class, i.e. the "weed out" classes. The sciences are held in large lecture halls for general science classes. Once you get to a higher level of science you get smaller classes. Profressors don't tend to know your name, but if you make and effort they will. Most professors are also really good about writing you back e-mails and sending you updates through the academic website of e-learning or even your gator e-mail account.

Although research is the main advocation by administration for the faculty, in the college of HHP, the faculty cares about the students. They are what make the school work and I have not come upon a professor I have not liked. Classes are usually large, but the professors are very accommodating and try to help as much as possible. The academic requirements are a little slack. I would say my favorite class is prevention and care of injuries, which I have actually got to use in real life!!!

1. Some do. 2. History is really interesting. I hate any math class here though. 3. Students study like crazy, a lot are in the library till 2am. 4. Class participation is not common unless in discussion class, 5. Yes. 6. Students are very competitive. 7. I am a PR major in the College of Journalism. I have heard it's tough. 8. No. 9. I feel UF expects a lot from us academically. Education is geared towards learning more so than a job, but it helps students in the career fied too.