University of Florida

« See more reviews of University of Florida

First starting a University of Florida and not knowing anything is the most frustrating thing about it. Even though everyone goes through orientation, there is so much information that there is no possible way to remember all of it. It is a school that you need to be very proactive to figure out the ins and outs of the college. After the first year there are still many things you find out that you never knew before. There is not a straight forward manual of how the college is.

The most frustrating thing about the University of Florida is the emphasis placed on sports. The money that goes into sporting events could be better spent increaing funding for education rather than closin down majors and continuing to increase the athletic budget. Also, the financial aid awarded to students on academic merit is very small, while the one granted to student athlets is a lot larger. The university should focus its resources more on academics rather than sports.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that most of the business classes are online. It is very hard to meet new people in the classroom because most students watch the lectures online or do not watch the lectures at all. You don?t even need to watch the lectures because there is a company located in the city of Gainesville that summarizes all of the lectures for you. It is also frustrating that there are only three classes that separate the different business majors.

The most frustrating thing about my college is that there isnt enough ideological exchange. I dreamed that I would go to school and I'd discuss issues of morality, religion, politics, and more with my friends and peers. That has not been the case. My school is predominantly conservative. However, there is not a strong encouragement of an open exchange of ideas. I have found it difficult to find friends that are willing to openly discuss and debate ideas.

The most frustrating thing about UF is probably the costs that are associated with it. I do not think that people realize how much money you have to sink into a college education and nowadays, you can't get anywhere with just a Bachelor's degree! I am only halfway done! Books, living arrangements, etc are all factors that have to be taken into account aside from tuition and I do feel like everything is so much more expensive in a college town!

THe dorms too, they are nice, but single rooms are best such as Lakeside or Keys, apartment style with a kitchen and batroom to share with 2 or 4 others is much better than a double dorm style where you share communal bathroom with 26 other people and 1 kitchen. Another is the the wifi, theres no wifi in the dorms, its all via ethernet cord! Running around with your laptop around campus you pick up wfi, but theres no wifi in your dorms...

Clearly, the most fustrating issue on campus is the number of students that attend this school. With over 60,000 undergraduates and graduates it becomes nearly impossible to develop a relationship with a professor. Moreover, if you begin to dig yourself a hole academically, it can be nearly impossible to emerge again with the students competiting for your position. There also are not ample research opportunities available for students.

College is not meant to be easy; if it ws any, and every person could get a degree. You have to be determined to work hard to succeed. With that said, the most frustrating part of school is prioritizing. I never had to do it in high school so coming into college. I did not know how to pace myself, and I did not put the important things first (i.e. classes). I had to learn my lessons the hard way and am working on prioritizing better.

The University of Florida is a very, large school. It is very difficult to get to know your professors without being perceived as the typical grade-focused, neurotic student. Additionally, creating an intimate learning environment is equally as difficult due to the high number of students present in foundational courses. However, if you are ready to dedicate yourself to create that bond with a professor, then it is not impossible.

The most frustrating thing about this university is that it is so large. While the diversity is beautiful it is difficult to find a professor who will take some personal interest in your education. It is difficult to find students to relate to when you have no common ground besides the 50 minutes you have with each other. It is difficult to find a place for yourself in so large a university, to be part of a meaningful community.