University of Houston-Downtown Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of Houston-Downtown

Isabel

Although the campus is smaller compared to bigger universities, in both size and class size, the more intimate setting allows for opportunity to arise for students who look for it. In the heart of Downtown Houston, as well as a stop for the rail, there is also plenty of opportunity to get something good to eat, visit the local museum district with relative ease, explore the Houston tunnels, grab something to drink, etc. The location of the campus really shines here.

Matthew

University of Houston-Downtown is a great school to go too where you want to learn and save money for yourself in the future. It is school of many different people and even during this pandemic we don't stop at all just keep on going to help each other out.

Bryan

I wanna go to school for business. I took a look at UHD found it was the perfect match for me and in Texas a cheap place to live although I'm coming from out of state which is the reason for me to apply for the scholarships I have applied for. Plus I've looked into the school deeply I wanna go there they are selling it to me great with all features of the school down to the academics. I really need money for college there is no way my mom who has 3 kids and pays rent and more can pay for college getting paid 800 every 2 weeks there are to many expenses already plus she has to pay her loans there is no way that is why I want to go to this college I will absolutely love to show my mom that even though we are going through I can prevail and be an exan example for my brother. The school is Amazing I can't wait till I get there its a dream to come true.

Marnae

University of Houston-Downtown is a prosperous school filled with elite programs, and great opportunities to get your dream career started successfully. The school has amazed me with their dentistry program. the enormous library, dorms and clubs. I would like to attend the school starting August 2021.

I am an incoming freshman to the school, so there isn't too much to say rather than what to expect. I'm hoping that through it all I make the most of it and really enjoy my college life. I have been in contact with some of the faculty there and they have helped me tremendously so there was a good side to it all.

giselle

It an acceptable schools for students that lack financial support and for individuals who do better in small surroundings. University of Houston Downtown, is not as diverse as other campus and there is a lack of campus spirit. There is a variety of ages within the campus and most often it seems like a campus for older students (graduate), but, in reality the campus is crawling with first year/first time college students and, it should be more vivacious!

Gladis

Honestly, when I first visited I thought I something was strange about this campus, everyone was so nice and helpful. I didn't expect a university in the middle of Houston, with students & staff that go through city traffic every day, to be so friendly. In my opinion, one of the perks of attending the Downtown campus was definitely the metro rail & convenient being right in front of the main building. The metro rails allowed me to explore the city of Houston after I finished my classes for the day. It nearly felt as if all of downtown was part of the campus, and with Houston being so diverse so was UHD. It is amazing to hear the different paths of life that brought everyone to this campus. From the professors & fellow students, everyone had or was beginning their path with the help of UHD. I felt more sure of myself here knowing although we're not all on the same path we all came to UHD to 'finish strong'.

Karina

I love UHD! Due tot he fact that we don't have extracurricular activities besides club sports, most to all of our students are academically driven. Also most to all of our students are non-traditional meaning we have a wide range of ages at UHD from <18 - 70+. Since we are in the heart of downtown Houston, TX the diversity in the student populations is amazing and just walking down the hall you hear many different languages. UHD is a vey special university and I don't think people give it the credit it deserves because it is not the main University of Houston campus that is known all over the US.

Trung

Even though we are not the best in our area, we offer some of the most diverse and dedicated undergraduate researches in Houston. The professors here are very serious about getting their student the research and mindset needed for them to go into higher education and will help you land a position if you are actively involved in the school. Everybody is about the welfare of the university as a whole and the success of student. I'm very happy to be here and will be back doing the exact same thing that they are trying to do today.

Amani

The community at the school is extremely diverse, and compact. This allows better connections between peers, and professors. The small sized classes allow more personalized teaching, that will guide students to the path of success. Located in downtown, there are many experiences students can have. Even though there are no on campus housing, transportation is easily accessible. We are even one of the few schools to have our own police, and a criminal justice department. As a young woman, that makes me feel even more safe. The school is a great place, and overall I'm happy to be attending.

Kassandra

At first I was not to big on attending this university however while being here it has shown me that there is so much more to offer here. The staff is very friendly and the professors are wonderful for the most part. The professors are very nice and are glad to lend a helping hand when it is needed. There are also great study sessions available that are taught by SI's. Over all I am glad I enrolled here I am ready to graduate form here and continue on to my masters.

giselle

It is a nice school but there is not enough time to complete all the excessive homework that is given. can only graduate with a good GPA if you do not work at all. Taking classes is nice but there's the occasional group of student who like to constantly interrupt. overall pretty decent school.

Britney

My overall opinion of the University of Houston-Downtown is quite extraordinary. Transportation to the school is fairly accessible to those who ride the Metro Rail, including myself. The class size is small but small is a good thing considering classrooms that have over 100 students. The smaller sizes make it feel more intimate and personal for those who want to talk to their professor about anything relating to class. Library, gym, classrooms, study rooms, and the cafe are all in short walking distance of each other.

Tatyana

My overall opinion of University of Houston-Downtown would be that there are so many opportunities that they have on the school. The professors are know the students by their names and even know when they are struggling. They have great office hours that you can stop by and get even more help. The reading and writing center is amazing and so is the math center. The only flaw that they would have would be the amount of clubs since I love music I wanted to join a club where I can play music and get back into playing. Except, they do not have a club for that UH main campus does. I would love to see more involvement and more excitement when we have homecoming and all even though we do not have a football team at our school. Besides that point I love that they are open minded and want to hear from the students that go there. UH Downtown is always looking for was to improve their school and make it an enjoyable experience for their students. We are diverse and love to see new people doing what they have to do. As we always support them in what they have to say.

Iqra

I over all like going to University of Houston Downtown. The tuition is very affordable and the class sizes are smaller so you really get that one on one time with the professor. The staff is nice and helpful and they always answer there phones and do anything they can to help you. The things I would improve about the campus would be the food. The food on campus is awful and there is not a very big variety. The other thing I would change is getting on campus housing since it can be very difficult to find a place to stay in Downtown.

Angelica

I think the University of Houston-Downtown is a great school to earn your 4 year degree. You may pay a lower tuition, but you get a great quality education. They offer online courses for some degrees, which makes going to school way more convenient.

CiElla

University of Houston - Downtown is a fantastic school for the working student and commuters. It is great for students who prefer smaller class sizes and a more intimate class setting in general. The academics are fair but still challenging and the facility is worthy to be proud of. Go gators!

julia

Not the greatest university in Houston, but they have plenty to offer. Tuition seems to be very cheap for a public school, and there are tutoring centers in case you ever need help with your courses. They need to offer more diverse programs though, because they only offer "common" degrees.

Victoria

This is a great campus that has a lot to teach me and help me learn and grow. The opportunities here are always opening. Overall, my time here will be enjoyable and the teachers will help make my success inevitable. I cannot wait for greater things to come! My future is bright!

Alyssa

It is a great school that is educaiton focused with tons of resources and great staff available. The resources are not always known up front but once you start looking into what you need theres always a program/workshop/department ready to help. I wish I had looked for help sooner than my third year, but once I did I found that everything was readily available and easy to access.

Jasmine

My overall opinion for this university is that it's very small and more for people that are local there. Sports aren't really big here, nor is greek life. They are mostly big on things that happen around the Houston Area. Something I like about it is the class size, its small. You don't get the "college life" feel, but it's not bad. It's more cost efficient than many other big universities around the Houston Area. Location wise- it can be a little dangerous at night, walking around downtown Houston.

Beautiful and extremely welcoming. When i visited recently for the first time it felt very home-like and comfortable. Goin to new places sometimes takes getting used to but university of Houston made it seem so secure. There’s is so much diversity and ways to get invilved

Eryka

I love the school because it is very convenient for me because I did not want to drive all the way to downtown to receive my education. I like the fact that the classes are small in size and it is not overwhelming for all the students. The location I attend is a second branch of the location in downtown. I feel that our location needs more activities and more clubs in our area. I think that the main campus does more fun things and I think

Thanh

Overall I think the University of Houston-Downtown is a very adequate establishment. Despite it being only three buildings in total, its facilities serves its purpose. By being a close knit community the university offers many social organizations that help students with networking. They also have class sizes that help the students and teachers establish more connected relationships. That being said the University of Houston-Downtown is a school upcoming high school graduates should look into as it provides most of the same education as any other bigger university.

Clara

It’s a great place to learn and it’s so close to home and I definitely feel comfortable and open with all the people there and the professors. Overall it’s a great environment and getting involved in events and participating in activities is really fun.

Roderick

Basically, it's the perfect small school in the middle of downtown Houston. The student to teacher ratio varies depending on class and time you chose to enroll in. On campus cafeteria is ok but, since your in downtown, there is plenty to eat. Many opportunities on campus for tutoring and help with classes.

Mahesh

University of Houston-Downtown is a great place for students to pursue their Bachelor degree. The small classrooms allow students to interact with professors effectively. Students are also encouraged to do undergraduate research and gain valuable research experience which are important to start their professional career. Small university but great academic opportunities for students.

Natasha

A very diverse campus .Helpful students and great professors.Felt at home the first time I got there.The learning facilties are the best .#uhdstrong.

Maria

University of Houston-Downtown is an amazing school. Facilities are big and clean. The faculty are very accessible and classes are available on campus as well as online. Lots of online classes which works for someone who has to work like me. It is located in Downtown Houston which has lots of accessible stores and places to go to outside of school.

Charles

UHD is an institution that perhaps best-serves students who are working part-time, or who are transfers from a community college. The campus is fair-sized and is growing, with two new buildings under construction. The Math, Science and Computer-Science departments are quite good and even have an Honors-College type of program (Scholars Academy) for high-performing students. An urban campus, literally in Downtown, most students commute by bus, train or car.

Nat

It's really great honestly. Going in, I had the mindset that I would spend my first year here, and then transfer to University of Houston-Main Campus, but I fell in love with my school and the people here. I made friends instantly and great connections with my professors. I have friends that go to UH-main, which is a significantly larger campus, and they are jealous because it was so easy for me to make friends and study groups because of the sense of community we have with it being a smaller campus. Classes are also smaller and you get personal connections with professors and they are so welcoming.

The University of Houston Downtown has so many opportunities for the students. There are supplemental instructors, math and statistical support, reading and writing center. Tutoring is absolutely free! The school's gym is free for all current students. It is at the heart of Downtown so there is always something to explore.

Anh

I really like UHD a lot. Since I am majoring in Business, UHD is a great school to be at since the school is right in the middle of Downtown and there are many major corporations and businesses that I can get to intern and possibly work at in the future. Not only are the school is nice, the faculties and staffs are extremely friendly and are always willing to help. The professors are always available for students and are always willing to help and resolve any conflict that occurred. There are also many resources that students can use, a lot of fun, friendly, and interesting events happening on campus. Plus there is volunteers opportunity for students, faculties, and staffs. Overall, I'm glad I picked this school as a school for me to pursue higher education.

Eduardo

UHD is a very great university to attend. The advisors may need a bit more involvement in the student academic life but over all, teacher, students, and staff is always willing to help. UHD has many great opportunities and provides many resources to make your academic experience the best!

Sylvia

I really feel that this university is a great place to pursue your degree because it is extremely diverse and they involve all students! There is not an event that is not known or not communicated to the students. Students are included and you don't feel left out. The professors challenge you to learn a lot and give you great knowledge to be successful.

Jayla

University of Houston Downtown is an amazing, accepting, peaceful university. The university and students who attend are also very accepting and open minded about comments and other discussions all may not be usually open to. There is a variety of members and student organizations to help all walks of life.

dareuna

ghchewdchsdocnudn

Christina

This is my overall opinion about the school but it might change through time. I believe they should expand their art degree and give us more room for studio space. I desire more opportunity in the art degree plan. I also want them to have campus boarding or dorms near by so we wont have to live off campus. And free student metro lifts should be added. However, the experience is good and i can see they are changing things little by little.

Lorena

University of Houston's downtown campus is small, but wholesome. The professors do care about your education here and the students are kind. The classes are small so it would be easy to make new friends. There are no in campus housing, most people here live off campus so be prepared for that. This college is very affordable to most people, 10/10 would recommend.

Corry

The University of Houston-Downtown is a school designed for students who are serious about their academic success and who occasionally enjoy spending time with friends and getting involved in solving social problems we face today. We are also proudly one of the most diverse schools in Houston.

Maria

The staff and professors are very friendly and open to any questions. Many of the classes are small and average size so it is easy to talk to the professors and students. The services that are provided like in the cashier's office, financial aid and advising are easy to make appointments and the walk ins as well. Great School!Love it!

If you are looking for a great 4-year or graduate college, UH offers some of the finest educations available. The professors are amazing and always hold their office hours, and also put in effort to be able to meet with you anytime of the day. Overall, it is a great place to go to learn.

Lucero

Convenient for Houstonians seeking to start their college education at an affordable university. The University of Houston-Downtown is right at the center of Downtown where students are able to experience day to day adventures. Unfortunately, traffic in Houston is terrible, commuting to college is a battle but the city does offer Metro rides and has assessable bike lanes. The university is very diverse!

Temitope

I think it is a great school. Everyone at UHD are friendly and the teachers are very nice. I learnt a lot at the school due to how everyone reacts around new students coming to the school. There is this feeling of excitement that you are part of a great school

Anthony

The University of Houston- Downtown is a great place to learn and grow. You meet wonderful and diverse people. This surely the campus that for opportunities. Everything is accessible and is there to provide you with the resources to excel academically, physically, and socially.

Cristina

Personally, University of Houston-Downtown is a wonderful school who gives practically anyone a chance to further their education for a great price. As I witnessed, UHD makes transfer students feel comfortable after being accustomed to a community college. My first semester at a University, and I was able to make it to the dean's list with the help from tutors and professors. Being a Criminal Justice major, and UHD being known for their great CJ program, I can say that the motivation to learn is big.

As an incoming freshman at the University of Houston-Downtown, I had a set of plans that I was able to achieve thanks to the faculty and my peers. Through my first year, I was enrolled as a full-time student on campus but I also wanted to be involved on campus. Joining the Student Government Association as the secretary allowed me to be aware of all the opportunities on campus. Through getting involved I was also able to network with various people which led to me volunteering for the mayor as well as visiting him in the city hall to advocate for the University of Houston-Downtown. Overall, the University of Houston-Downtown is a place filled with opportunities and support.

Heidi

University of Houston- Downtown is overall a great school everyone is super nice and practically become a family to you. It is small campus with no dorms, but at the same time it is developing and becoming bigger since there is a building that is being built.

Gisselle

I really like it because it’s close to home and the teachers can focus on helping you since it’s a small school. The students are very helpful and people are very sweet. There is also so much to do around. Our teachers aren’t lazy and help us when we need it. The focus is there

Kristy

University of Houston-Downtown is great. I’ve been enrolled in 3 colleges through my “college career”. University of Houston-Downtown has be the greatest. The teachers are always available and assert. The learning environment is conducive to everyone.