University of Maryland-College Park

« See more reviews of University of Maryland-College Park

Forming close friendships is somewhat difficult at a large school, like University of Maryland. Because the campus is big and students are dispersed among any available housing, enjoying someone's company outside of class is challenging. As a transfer student, I've found it challenging to form new friendships because students who've attended this school as freshmen already established friendships. Friendships are an important component of adapting to college life and preparing for a professional life. Although I've felt like an outsider at times, my school creates opportunities for students to unite and form friendships that I value.

After discovering that networking is the key to success, I began searching for the infinite amounts of resources that are available on our college campus. Although all the staff is friendly and helpful in answering questions or clarifying misunderstandings, it is inevitably difficult to find the right person to provide us with that information. Making enough phone calls and sending enough emails until you find an appropriate response becomes less frustrating with time, but a program that would simplify this process would greatly benefit a multitude of students here at our school.

I am taking online classes and the platform used to support these class underwent a lot of growing pains in the earlier years. There were a lot of issues with incompatibility between the online technology and some student's computer software. There were also a great deal of outages and system glitches. Throughout the years the technology used for the online platform improved tremendously. However there are still instances when the platform is unavailable due to maintenance. This is inconvenient and at times frustrating because there is not access to the classroom.

I think UMCP professors don’t do enough to get students excited about their fields. My chemistry professor gave demonstrations and cracked jokes, but while students found class fun, they didn’t find chemistry fun. While only chemistry geeks would read the original paper describing the discovery of the nucleus, non-geeks can appreciate how radically it changed the way we view atoms. If I took that class again, I would want to hear my professor quote how Rutherford described the results: “as if you fired a 15-inch shell at a piece of tissue paper and it came back.”

The most frustrating thing about my school is the process of selecting courses. Some students are able to sign up early for classes depending on their specific academic honors or certain programs that they are memebers of. I feel that this process hinders my equal opportunity in choosing courses. It frustrates me that I may have to choose an unfavorable time of day to attend a class and that the only available time for a course may conflict with another scheduled course. Some of my major credit classes may be full, causing me to wait to take them next semester.

The most frustrating thing about University of Maryland correlates with scholarships. I am a transfer and commuter student at UMD and because of the limited amount of scholarship given to enrolled students; I am forced to work during the year. Although I think it is beneficial to work while in school, the amount of time I am forced to work makes it difficult to become fully emerged in campus life. It is frustrating not to be able to join or participate in clubs and other activities because I am unable to apply for or receive a scholarship from the University.

The most frustrating aspect of UMD was the size of the student body and the implications it had when I initially got to school. Because it's such a large school it's typically you're in very large lecture halls with hundreds of other students. This can cause students to struggle with understamding the material because it's easy to not pay attention and many are nervous to speak up in large lecture halls. Also because the classes are so large proffessors rarely know students individially. However there are many ways to succesfully learn in this situation.

One reoccuring problem is the dining points system. Students exchange money for points in a system that is required for all students that wish to live in a dorm on campus. These points have more value then the dollar so students get less points than how much money they put in. This would make sense if the cost of food, pointwise, was less then the normal cost of food in U.S. currency. Unfortunately, the cost of food at the University of Maryland is rather expensive, leaving many students out of points well before the end of the school year.

The most frustrating thing about the Univeristy of Maryland-College Park, would be being a part of the Freshman Connection Program. In Freshman Connection, all of your classes begin after 3:00 pm and you can only take classes that the program provides. Although it may seem convenient, not having morning classes, I have actually found it to be a burden. My classes usually run until 9:00 pm and then I have to return and do homework until the early morning hours. This has messed up my sleeping schedule and you need sleep as a college student.

The most fustratingthing about collge is the amount of hard work one does in preparation of a test, and the teacher either throws a curveball on the exam, or the material on that one exam is completely different form another lecture, even though it is the same class. A lot of my friends feel the same way. We don’t think our grade should be a direct reflection of our teacher or TA's, but rather how much we prepare ourselves to be tested upon the actual material which is suppose to be a springboard for the classes that follow.