University of Nebraska at Omaha

« See more reviews of University of Nebraska at Omaha

1. You might be tempted to “take a break” before starting college (or not go at all) like a lot of your friends are doing. But stick with it. It’ll be worth it in the long run. 2. Juggling school, music, and athletics has helped you learn prioritization and responsibility. You’ll need those skills in college.3. You’re very motivated and well rounded, and actually finish what you start4. All those years you spent doing gymnastics really are relevant to kinesiology, so you picked a great field to major in.5. You worked hard in high school to get good grades because your mom always stressed how important a good education is. Now you know it’s true you would not have gotten accepted into an impacted program if you had a bunch of C’s and D’s.6. NEVER let the dog eat your homework!

I think it is important to find a school that fits your social needs. Almost any school is going to get you the degree you are going to need to succeed in life, but it is your out look on life that gets your through college and determines the amount of effort you are going to put into your work. Making friends in a new place is very important. Your friends are what get you through all of your difficult times and keep you up beat and positive. With a positive out look on life and school, you are better equipped to do well and succeed in your classes. So find a school that does a good job at getting all of their students involved in extra activities and promote the opportunities to build the relationships that will last you a lifetime.

If I could go back and talk to the high school me I would have a lot to say. First, I would inform myself to keep the fun in college— remember to focus on the academics but to enjoy all the opportunities presented to me. That it is about going to class, learning as much as possible, making new friends, and trying new things daily. The next piece of advice I would give to myself would be to work hard at everything. It does not matter if it is a half page worksheet or a twenty page paper; it all deserves your best efforts. I would also want to remind myself to constantly tell my family how much their support means to me every step of the way. They are the ones who give me the motivation to keep going when I’m feeling anxious or overwhelmed.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, I would tell myself to not be afraid of being myself. That I should put myself out there to meet new people and connections. I would also tell myself to try hard in school and not to be afraid of failure. Failure isn't always a bad thing, because it brings experience, and with it you grow. You look back at your failure, review what went wrong, and try harder to fix those mistakes. This is the beginning of my life as an independent grown up. Things are going to be hard, but with effort comes results. You can't expect things to always go your way. To succeed you need to attend every class, take good notes, review your notes at home, do homework and study hard.

Do not hesitate totry things out. There are a lot of college options out there and one would benifit best from visiting many schools and trying out manyoptions. Go out on recruit trips, visit the schools you think suit you, talk to councelers, make them sell you the school because it has to be right for you. Be sure to keep in mind all the big attributing factors of what school suits you best, like price, location, size, ect. Do not let the enormity of the decision make you scared to start looking early, because the sooner you narrow your options the better you will feel with the school and path you have chosen. College is a great time to explore yourself, and your world so never be hesitant to try new things as they come to you.

To find the right college it's important to go on a visit to see what the college is like. During the school year is the best time because it allows for a potential student to get a better feel for the college environment at that campus. To get the most out of college all that is really needed is to put forth an honest effort and to do your best. It's also important to choose a major that you will enjoy studying and learning. It will improve your grades and give you a better outlook on your future. College is a time to experiment with some new found independence also so there is nothing wrong with taking part in some activities that you wouldn't normally do. The experience will ultimately make you a better person.

What I have gotten out of my college experience was you have to be prepared to what has to come. Its not like a high school experience, you get to meet people from all over the country, the teaching and learning experiences are different. In college you don't pass or get anywhere unless you really put your mind and effort to get things done! You've made a commitment to go and get things done, so theres no time for slacking around. It has been valuable to attend because you get positive things out of it. Your life changes from a good to a better way. Your mind opens up a little more and just makes you want to keep going. That is a little summary of my experience and my reason why I think its a good idea to attend.

If I could go back to my senior year, I would advise myself to follow the exact same path I chose. I have no regrets from attending the university that I did. I made numerous amounts of friends, was given leadership positions, and was taught the value of volunteering. I made the most of my college experience and still have great connections through the university. The one piece of advice I would give myself would be to take out less loans and apply for more scholarships. As a freshman you underestimate the toll of student loans, but as a senior, student loans are one of the top things that are constantly on my mind. I appreciate my college education and am forever thankful for everyone who helped me along my journey.

If I were able to go back in time and give myself advice about college life, I would tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as I could possibly do. You may not think you would get a certain scholarship, but it never hurts to try, and the worst that could happen is that you do not get the scholarship. I would also tell myself to save money, and work hard so you have no regrets about the outcomes of the school years. The most important thing I would tell myself is to be who I am, and do not let anyone change who you are. You do not need to change who you are to fit in. If they do not like who you are, then they do not deserve to be your friends. Lastly, do not do anything you will regret later on.

Dear Jenny, As an older version of you, I have greater knowledge and life experience. I'd like to offer you this bit of advice. Don't be afraid to take chances. Go to the more expensive out of state school that's located in the city you've always dreamed of living in. It's much easier to move as a college student, than to wait until you have a family. And please chose a major wisely and stick to it. This will save you lots of heartache, time and money over the long run. Last, but not least, make sure to form lasting connections during your college career. Those connections just may prove to be more important than your grade point average. Best wishes to you. Love, Jennifer (your older self)