University of Nebraska at Omaha

« See more reviews of University of Nebraska at Omaha

I would suggest that students should find a college that is not only right for them, but is also an affordable one. I did not get any scholarships and my parents made too much money for a lot of financial assistance, so I had to take out loans. I truly believe that it does not matter where you recieve your undergraduate degree at, just as long as you get one. So my advice is choose a college that is a right fit and affordable. I mean who wants to be paying off loans for the rest of their life.

My advice to myself is this: You are doing the best you can with everything. In college everything becomes much easier. You still need to keep looking for scholarships because everything is very expensive. You also need to have more fun. Try and hang out with your friends more. Your new roomates will be nice and you need to talk to them more! My biggest advice to you is that you need to relax and enjoy yourself. Relax and enjoy your last year of highschool. You deserve to enjoy it.

Do your research. Plan and make several college visits, but also know that you can always transfer to a different school later. Give your school a chance, though, before you decide that you don't like it. Consider going to school in-state for at least the first two years, it will save you soo much money! Be open-minded and don't just go where you think is the most popular or go somewhere just because your peers are "all" going there. College is an opportunity to meet new people!

When looking for the right college make sure you are going somewhere where you think you will fit in. Don't focus on just going out-of-state. My advice for making the most out of your college experience is to get involved right away so you can make friends, find study partners, etc right away. Also, make sure you stay ontop of school work and studying because once you get behind it is very hard to catch back up. Also, use your resources if you are struggling, it realliy helps!

I would go back and tell myself that even though the subjects may not be important in the future, the ability and study and learn is applicable across all fields of study. Being willing to push yourself to learn and study in subjects that aren't important or don't appeal pays off in life down the road. You will always run into work or life obstacles which are difficults or annoying and the ability to keep a clear head on what is required to move forward will pay off.

Make sure you ask questions. Being informed about all the processes, applications, tests, and classes required to move through your education to receive a degree will prepare you and keep you on the right track. Get involved in some sort of activity, whether it be athletic, artistic, religious, etc. This is the best way to meet people that you may have something in common with. Living in campus housing at least the 1st year helps you meet new people too.

I would tell them to make the most of their studies because they are paying for it. I'd also tell them to study what interests them and not what someone else expects them to study, because in the long run, you've got to do what is right for you. They should put as much effort into thier studies as possible, because you get out what you put in, and if you don't work and learn something, you've just wasted a lot of time and money.

From my college experience, I've gotten knowledge about myself and a world as a whole. Like our textbooks, some things may change about us, but we will always have the fundamentals which make us human. It's been valuable to attend college not only for the knowledge of how to be a human service work, but also how to be a person. We never stop learning, and being in college, I discovered how to get the most out of what I learn.

The first piece of advice that I would give would be to find a campus you feel comfortable on. Somewhere that is diverse enough that you can truely learn from others and find some lifelong friends. Secondly, make sure this school has a great educational background and a good program for your major. GET INVOLVED ON CAMPUS!! That is such an important aspect of college life. You will get out of college what you put into it!

The best advice I could give parents about helping their child find the right college is to let them decide where they want to go. Make sure however, that when they choose a school based on their decided major, that they also have a second major in mind that they will be able to switch into at the same instituion. Transfering between schools is one of the most time consuming events a student can encounter in college.