University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

Some of the organizations that seem to be growing in popularity is the Greek system. I joined Alpha Chi Omega in the spring of my sophomore year and there was a decent turn out but it did not even compare to the amount of girls that came through this past fall and spring. I am so pleased with how the word has gotten out that being part of Greek Life is an amazing experience. I also think sports are gaining popularity, especially football. It does make me sad, however, that at one of the last games I attended I had to go in and watch the game by myself because all of my friends wanted to stay in the parking lot and tailgate. I am afraid the only reason football has grown in popularity is because people finally realized it is an excuse to get up early and drink outside on a nice day. I met my closest friends through nursing. We all have been going through the same stressors for the past four years and at one point last year it clicked that we all have so much in common. I now live with three other nursing majors and we can relate to each other so well because we understand the importance of studying but also being about to go out and have fun every now and then. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I'm probably just going to bed from being out at the bar. The other option is that I'm up studying or worried that I'm not going to get any sleep that night because I have to get up at 5am on Wednesday for clinical. People in my major probably party once a week. I feel as though other people try to either go out on Tuesdays and Thursdays or on weekend nights. Last weekend I was working Friday night, Saturday during the day so I went to bed early Saturday night, and then on Sunday I went to the library all day and worked Sunday night.

Campus Activities Board and Relay for Life are two really popular student organizations on our campus. One group that I am involved in is the Student Admissions Representative Program. It is a volunteer program that gives daily campus tours, university open houses, and puts on other events for prospective students. The best thing about the program is that all the members truly love and enjoy the experience that they've had here at UNH. Athletics are so popular here at UNH, but you never feel like you have to be like a Division One athlete. It is great just to go to the Football, Basketball, and Hockey games. Hockey is my favorite for sure. To sit in our hockey area, The Whittmore Center, during a hockey game is an unforgettable experience. So much spirit!! Students are always leaving their doors open in the dorms and the residential life staff really encourage it. You never know who you'll meet! And the residential staff is always great about having activities going on over the weekend because this is not a "suitcase" school. There are so many people on campus, it's great to hang out, go to activities in the Memorial Union Building, or attend sporting events. We also have a great transportation system that can take you to surrounding towns that have movie theaters, malls, and other things to do.

I think the most popular groups/organizations on campus is Greek life - but I may think that just because I am involved and see how many students are involved as well. I am involved in Chi Omega and it has made my UNH experience that much better. Athletic events are very popular - football and hockey are the most popular. I am not sure about the dating scene because guys are idiots. I met my closest friends through Chi Omega and through classes. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday it is because I am just getting home from the bar. Several traditions and events happen each year through football and hockey games and activities involved in Greek life. People don't party as often as everyone may think, but maybe 2-3 nights a week for the average student at most. I believe fraternities/sororities are important for those who like to be involved in something, but I do have plenty of friends outside the Greek system. Last weekend I went to Scorps on Thursday and Portsmouth on Saturday. On a Saturday night that doesn't involve drinking I can stay in and watch a movie and get ice cream from Stats! Off campus I go shopping and other errands.

A group I'm involved with is Alpha Phi. Joining a greek organization is a great way to meet people and to be more involved on campus. Many of the events, fundraisers, and community service I have been involved in was due to alpha phi. Students in the freshman dorms leave their doors open, but not too much in other dorms. Hockey games and football games are pretty popular althetic events, but that's about it. I met my closest friends through my major and the greek community. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday I am studying. People usually party on Thursdays and Saturdays. Friday nights arent as big for partying but people still go out. To me, fraternities/sororities are important because I am in one. This is where the majority of my friends are so I spend a lot of my time there. Last Friday, I went to my friend's apartment, then to the bar, then to one of the fraternities with my girlfriends to visit our guy friends there. On Saturday, I went to one of my guy friend's house because he was having a party. On sunday, I spent most of the day doing homework in the library.

I wouldnt say any club/team/or group is the most popular on campus. It depends where on campus you are that people are more outgoing. THe hockey team is obviously very popular, along with the GREEK system which seems to be growing in social and educational groups. Students in the dorms do leave their doors open mostly in the Freshmen dorms at the start of the year. ONce every has made their own friends the doors start to close. The hockey and football games are very popular. People seem to party whenever they want here. Tuesday is the bar night for everyone over 21 or who has a fake. Thursday is the start of the weekend. Friday is usually the really good party night and saturday is more relaxed. Last weekend I went to parties on Friday and Saturday. If it is ever a weekend and u dont want to drink you can go to the mall, or the MUB plays movies, or there is always something else happening at the MUB that is fun. Otherwise you could just hang out with other friends and watch movies or go out to dinner.

There are a ton of sports teams and games are so much fun to go to. There is a club for everything or an intramural team, so if you want to play something I guarentee there's a club for it. People all seem to be really friendly so it's easy to meet new people all the time. People party on the weekend and thursdays, and there are people with relationships and others that just would rather not be in one. If I am awake at 2am on a tuesday I would be up doing work because I would definitely be asleep otherwise. Last weekend I actually was in Daytona, Florida traveling to the NCA National Cheerleading Competition with the UNH cheerleading team. We did very well and earned a lot fo respect from the athletic department at UNH. If you don't want to drink on a Saturday night there is SO many other things going on that you can choose from. There are events at the mub and around campus all the time, you can go and hang out at the mub; you really could find anything you wanted to do.

The sports teams and the GREEK life are big on campus but one is not more popular than another. The different groups and clubs all do anything they want around campus. The students in dorms do leave their dorms because there is not much to do in the dorms and they can get boring. There are a lot of people to meet on campus so the dating scene would be pretty open. People seem to party whenever they want during the week. For most students the party starts on Thursday, but for others a lot of the big parties are on Fridays and smaller parties again on Saturdays. There is a lot of stuff at the MUB that doesnt involve drinking like a minimovie theater and different events. Also there is a mall near by or it can be easy to get to portsmouth or boston or up North if your from maine and want to go home. Last weekend I went to parties on Friday and Saturday nights with my friends.

I'm a sister in a sorority on campus and I love it. Personally, I don't know what students who are not Greek do with their lives. Being in a sorority has completely shaped the rest of my college career: I met my friends, I attend numerous speeches, events, seminars as well as participate in community service and philanthropy projects every week. I've never been busier. There is always something to do on the weekend when you're Greek. Most of my guy friends are in fraternities and conviently live right across the street. I personally did not enjoy living in the dorms, I moved into my sorority house in the beginning of my sophomore year and it's so much better. We have a cleaning service, an in-house chef and free parking! It's even cheaper than the dorms!

I think the Greek system is pretty large on campus, but I wouldn't say they're the most popular. The Greek system gets a bad reputation because of the fraternities that have parties but rarely participate in any philanthropy events or attend other non-greek events. On campus, it depends on what dorm you're in, but in general it's hard to make friends unless you're a freshman. People seem to have their group of friends by the time sophomore year comes around, and it's hard to make friends after that. Going to UNH is tough for in-state students sometimes because a lot of kids from the same high school end up here, and they stay friends with their friends from HS, so by sophomore year when you're tired of them it's hard to make new friends.

GREEK life is my thing at UNH. Love my Greek friends - many people party at the local frats but i recently grew out of that stage in my life. Greek life is pretty big on the campus I feel although it makes UNH seem much smaller, which isn't always a good thing because everyone always knows everyones business. but the philanthropy events in the spring are always a blast. Off campus - favorite things are the Kittery Outlets - great shopping like J Crew and Coach. Portsmouth is also great in the spring and summer for shopping at little boutiques, getting ice cream or watching the boats pass under the bridge. very quaint area, but can get old quickly because it is very small.