University of New Hampshire-Main Campus Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

I love the campus! It's so cute and there are lots of nice restaurants nearby! I love how big the campus is because it feels like your own town. The buildings are so pretty too and when my friends come to visit me I am so proud to show off my school!

Savannah

UNH is such a great community!! There are plenty of things to do outside of campus, we are close to the beach, have great hikes, and Portsmouth! The professors are very accessible and are always available to lend a helping hand. The food is also very good, much better than most dining halls at other colleges!

Brooke

UNH is a great school with many opportunities for students. They are constantly updating the facilities and school buildings to provide better resources for students. The academics are great, and there is a wide variety of programs to take part in!

Savanah

UNH is a great college with many opportunities. I love the community and all the amazing people I've met so far. There are so many different and wonderful types of people here that have helped me grow as a person. Also, the program I'm in is great.

I love UNH and all that is has to offer. I'm a sophomore going into my second semester from a small town, and even though UNH has an undergrad population of over 13,000, you still get that tight-knit community feeling. The school has so many opportunities to get involved: intramural sports, greek life, countless groups and orgs, and so much more.

Haley

The University of New Hampshire is an amazing place to be. The campus is gorgeous– even in the cold winters the streets of Durham are breathtaking. Wether you choose to eat at Holloway Commons, Phillbrook, or Stillings Hall, the food at UNH is bar none, especially the salad bar! While on campus, there is plenty to keep you busy. Between the museum on campus, events at the Memorial Union Building and residential hall activities, no one ever goes bored. While this is all great, to me, the heart of UNH is the Diamond Library, a place where I spent a majority of my time. The quiet rooms are filled with the beautiful sunshine during the day, and a quiet glow at night, and just downstairs are fun collaborative spaces to make studying a social event.

Colleen

Overall, I love it here. Once I looked at this school I knew I wanted to come here and it was my top choice. There is some flaws, but not everyone is perfect. However, to be honest I only stay on one half of the campus and go to the barns, so I do not know much on how the other side is. I am happy I made this choice, but I would of liked if the tuition was lower since my parents are paying for it and they are also paying for my other siblings tuition.

Isabelle

It's a good school, but there needs to be substantially more support for funding of the arts. Academics are fairly strong, and professors are generally helpful. Housing could be a little bit cleaner and bigger. Personally, my hall director didn't handle all situations with proper courtesy and respect, however I know that most do.

Teresa

A small town in itself, the college's profound existence seems to envelope and sum up the whole town of Durham, New Hampshire. In this minute little place where I call home, the most exciting crowded scenes other than busy classrooms five days of the week or the one hundred degrees dining halls that toast up especially during holiday celebrations, are the fan calls and wildcat spirit that fill the Whittemore arena and the football field. Every weekend's wildcat fight are the best to describe the character of the University of New Hampshire. It shows how well we dress in our wildcat attires, confident, bold, and defiant to all challenges that conquer us. Either be it the diligence we hold in the endeavors of everyday activities or the passion that we convey when we talk about our dreams, we always face forward, as if we breathe in the air of success as we proceed better and better. So, like football games or ice hockey alike, us, wildcats always convey our upbeat personality, kind heart, diligent mindset, and grit around the campus that we live on.

Maria

I love the University of New Hampshire. The campus is beautiful and well taken care of, and the facilities are kept up to date. There are lots of majors to choose from and you are guaranteed to find good professors in your area of study. There are also many different student led organizations that you can join.

Ellie

Its a bigger school but doesn't feel like it at all. I can always run into people I know no matter where I am on campus. Everyone is friendly and easy going! There are so many different groups and clubs that you can join to get more involved but if you don't you won't feel like a loner.

Devon

I absolutely love the University of New Hampshire. I was skeptical at first when considering this campus as my new home, being that I live 7 hours away and knew no one attending the school with me from my graduating high school class. I was unsure if i was able to adapt to the environment and find my niche and feel as though I belong. I am shocked, sitting where I am today, that I ever had this worry. This school feels more like home than my childhood home does at times. Everyone on campus is so friendly, professors and staff members are always willing to give extra time to help you with work and any questions you might have. The number of extracurricular activities are so many that it can appear overwhelming, but it nearly guaranteed for everyone to find something they love. The school is such a tight knit community that stands together, especially in the student section of home sports games. There are too many amazing things to say about this university. It is a welcoming environment that anyone can call home. As we say on campus, every day is a great day to be a wildcat!

Alexandra

The University of New Hampshire was the first school I toured, when I began the process of applying for colleges. When I immediately saw the beautiful campus, the friendly and accommodating students, professors, and staff I knew this school was the place for me. UNH offers so many opportunities to expand a student's academics, social, and occupations. With over a 100 clubs and organizations, the CAT PACK cheering at every sporting event, and interesting majors and academics. I am never bored or feel like I mad the wrong decision in choosing a school. Everyday is a great day to be a wildcat at UNH!

Though I'm only a freshman, I've already seen much of what the University has to offer, and both my parents and I are impressed. I've loved every class I've taken, and the professors are really great. They are very willing to help us as students and make sure we get the best education possible. The people I've met are very nice, and I've made a lot of friends in a very short amount of time. These friends are very caring and are willing to have fun but recognize the balance between going out and school work. There is always stuff going on around campus, including concerts, an on-campus movie theatre, and many clubs and organizations to join.

Emilee

Great University for social, sports, academic endeavors. The problems I encountered were not getting time with a professor when I needed it, even when I reached out for assistance to certain professors. I also felt the class size was too large and not enough help was provided to feel like you had their undivided attention for questions.

megan

UNH has exceeded my expectations. After completing my first I could not have been happier with how my year went, from living in an amazing all freshman dorm (Christensen Hall), to working in a lab on campus, and creating life long friends, UNH gave me the perfect first year experience. The food is amazing at all three dining halls, sporting events are always exciting whether it be an ice hockey game against rival U Maine, or a lacrosse game on a Saturday afternoon, there is a ton of activities to do during to week like going on hikes with the outing club. The professor at UNH are amazing, they are willing to help students with any problem and they really want us to succeed. I have not had one negative experience with any professor yet, and I do not see that happening in the future. All the facility are insightful and will work through any problem that arises, making the transition from high school to college that much easier. I can not say enough positive things about UNH other than its the perfect college experience.

Lindsey

I love it here!

Nadia

I like the school a lot. We have a lot of great professors who know what they are talking about and are available and willing to help us succeed. As an international student, I've found the schools and students very welcoming and I'm happy to call here my home. There are a variety of options for students to get involved and expand their horizon beyond their majors; clubs, sports, resident hall communities. I truly believe that "every day is a great day to be a wildcat".

Lillian

Overall, I think the University of New Hampshire is a good school. Most people on campus are very friendly and campus is extremely safe. The classes are for the most part interesting and well structured and the teachers are nice and helpful. Some dorms are better than others, but none of them are really bad. The dining halls are all nice and the food is decent. There is a lot of options. There isn't much around in the close vicinity of the main campus. Downtown Durham is mostly food places with a few shops. Taking the buses to Portsmouth or Dover gives you more options for entertainment, although sometimes waiting for buses is a pain. Campus is pretty big, but you don't mind walking around it as much as you might think, even in the winter. The Hamilton Recreation Center is great. Even for people who aren't extremely fit, it's not awkward to work out there like it sometimes is at other gyms. The group exercise classes are great, I really enjoy them.

cameron

The actual academic part of the school is good; the professors are knowledgeable and helpful. The food is bad, and there is a lot of drinking and partying. Housing is OK, the older buildings need some updates, but there are good communities in some of the buildings.

Daroc

I love UNH - there are a lot of interesting opportunities on campus, as well as a large support network for different kinds of students. While the administration has a bunch of sticking points, it is continuously improving, for which I am very greatful.

Brie

Overall, it is a great school. The professors really push you to do your best. However, it is very expensive.

Paige

Payton

I couldn't picture myself at any other university than UNH. At first, it was so close to home that I didn't think I would want to go. I wanted to go out of state, until I attended the accepted students day. That day changed it all for me, it taught me that college life is completely separate from high school, even if it seems like your whole high school is going there. I've met incredible students, professors, and people in general from being at University of New Hampshire.

ELizabeth

The size is perfect it is not too big but it is big enough where you don't know everyone. No matter what the weather is the campus is beautiful with a long list of options with how to spend your free time. The campus is a close drive to the beach or a popular restaurant scene and shopping in Portsmouth. The classes are harder than high school which could be a wakeup call for some but the professors encourage thinking and it is easy to make friends in and out of class. This is the perfect school for me I could not picture myself going anywhere else and almost everyone I know feels the exact same way.

Audrey

A large school with a small-school feel. The faculty is friendly and helpful, and there are always people who share your interests. The dorms are close to classes, the dining halls are clean, and there's an entire recreation center. The libraries are well organized and up to date.

Mila

My overall opinion of UNH is that it is a great campus, cheerful people and you feel like you are home. I came to UNH from out of state but instantly, I felt comfortable anywhere on the campus, in the library, in the dining halls. It also helped that my dorm floor was full of awesome, sweet freshmen and we all became very close friends.

logan

Very inclusive and engaging campus and academic culture, filled with countless academic and social opportunities. I am beyond happy to have chosen the University of New Hampshire as my place to pursue my higher education. I would highly recommend it to both in-state and out of state students as well

Shannon

I absolutely love it! I don't think I would be happy anywhere else. I love the campus, I love the people, I love the location. Being at this school is the best thing that has happened to me. All of the things I complain about my school are just because I'm a lazy college student, but I wouldn't want anything to change.

Erin

The University of New Hampshire is a fine school overall. The faculty are accessible and helpful overall. However, some departments are lacking in organization. Some people are not very responsive via email. There is a huge party scene but it is easy to avoid. I have gotten a solid education and done some valuable, interesting research.

Alexys

In high school I was fairly close-minded to the idea of attending a state school less than an hour away from my home. I felt that I was settling my attending UNH, but I couldn't have been more wrong. The University of New Hampshire has become my home. I feel that I have found my path, and I get to spend each and every day working to acquire a stellar education surrounded by like-minded, driven and dedicated individuals. UNH has provided me opportunities that I would not have had I attended another school. I was granted an internship after my freshman year because of the alumni network at UNH, have several leadership positions in groups that provide beyond the classroom experience that is directly applicable to the field of work I intend to enter, and I could not be more appreciative of the place that I now call home.

spencer

My opinion of UNH is that it is the perfect school for those looking for a broad college experience. You are able to make your college experience what you want it to be at UNH and for me that was extremely important. I have been able to have a very flexible class schedule in the first couple years of going here, which has given me the ability to really nail down what I want to major in. I have also been able to get involved in a variety of student organizations which was really important to me going into college. UNH lets you develop your own college experience, and for me that was extremely important going into college. You are able to take your own initiative and shape your own future here and I think that is really awesome.

Overall, the University of New Hampshire is a very well rounded school. The different aspects such as food, social life, academics and the ties that are made with professors all represent a good school. I have not been here for very long and I already feel like I have connections with my professors that are meaningful and resourceful. This school does a very good job of letting all students whether they are new or returning that they matter. One thing I noticed about UNH immediately is that they have plenty of resources, clubs and advisors that are there to make sure every student is coping well.

sa

UNH is an underrated school. The academics and campus life are great. The professors seem to care about their students and the subjects that they teach. It's not a huge school so if you're looking for that it might not be the place for you! Overall it is a great value as well

Nikaila

I think UNH's main campus is such a welcoming environment and truly makes students feel like they are home. The facility and upperclassmen make the new students feel like they belong here. I would strongly recommend for everyone to come take a look at the school even if they are not considering it. UNH is an awesome place to call home.

Melanie

At first, I was apprehensive about UNH because my entire life I have viewed it as a party school. Although there is a decent amount of partying, many people there are very serious about their education and getting good grades. Campus is easy to navigate and all of the students that I have talked to have been very receptive, intelligent, and helpful. UNH is a great school, even for someone who doesn't know what they want to do yet.

Emma

UNH is a prideful school with good, smart people. People are nice, campus is pretty and the facilities are kept up. The gym is great and a lot of people go...there is a good amount of athletes, greek life and just normal people. The tuition is too high and a lot of people do have to leave. Also the freshmen dorms suck and it can be hard for people to make friends.

The University has a beautiful campus. There are plenty of grassy areas to relax on in the warmer weather. The freshman housing is what you would expect, kind of cringy. The Sercs are my favorite area to live in; they are basically hotels. I do not appreciate how expensive the tuition is, however. It is certainly pricey and some of the fees are not pertinent to students if they are not incredibly involved with student activities.

Colleen

The University of New Hampshire is an incredible university. The campus life, academics, and overall vibe of the college makes me want to stay here forever. I have never once regretted my decision to attend the University of New Hampshire and I am so glad I made the right choice. I have met hundreds of incredible people and I am so grateful for every moment at UNH.

My opinion is that the University of New Hampshire is a good school. Now, they do jerk you around a bit when it comes to the finance area, such as FAFSA, Loans, and Bill, but they will work with you to resolve any doubts and they do their best to help. It should be noted that the policies, not the people, will be the main cause of your headaches regarding classes, housing, and other such things. The people will help you as best they can. Now, as a fair warning that I've come to learn, if paying for tuition is something weighing you down and you decide to go to UNH, be prepared that your Freshman Fafsa award will be the highest, unless there is a change in household income that decreases it. Other than that, it's gonna go down every year. For me, it was $14,500, $12,600, and then $7,500. Yeah, that one was a shock. So, pay attention to that and keep that in mind. I know its the same for all colleges, but this is what happened to me. Also, working on campus is a big plus. Do work on campus. I worked in all 3 dining halls and it's good pay for good work. $10 an hour, you can go in for 2 hour shifts up to 12 hour if need be, and they work with your schedule. The Library, the Rec centers and the transit(Buses) also hire and pay well, but you won't get as much flexibility in schedule and better pay than dining halls. Also, you get a free meal with every shift. You're welcome. To wrap this up, the best piece of advice I can give you about UNH is never underestimate the power a phone call can have. If there is a problem, then reach out to the faculty associated. Not enough Fafsa? Call. Issue with transcript? Call. Want to change housing? Call. You will be pleasantly surprised how well phone calls go for you. I cannot stress this enough, UNH prides itself on it's ability to connect with student problems, and they do care. If you do have a problem, call someone. More times than not, it'll be solved during the phone call. You will save yourself a lot of stress.

Althea

I believe in UNH because of the teachers at this school who care about the students' success for their career. In my introduction course, faculty members from the nutrition department speak to the students about different careers options for dietetics, wellness, and nutritional sciences. Because of their lectures, I am interested in using my degree to work as a cooking class instructor someday. I am thankful for the faculty in the school.

Adonis

Overall a great school, but the lack of diversity does cause for some issues as a minority enrolled at this school. Most issues stem from a place of ignorance, rather than hatred, but is slowly improving everyday.

Kailee

The University of New Hampshire's main campus is an excellent school overfilling with educational and recreational opportunity. The professors have passion for what they teach, students are engaged (perhaps less during morning classes sans coffee), and the friendly atmosphere makes for an inviting experience. And although I enjoy the environment, some of the best parts of campus involve the places that are sacred to the student body such as our soccer field, our recreation center, and our Memorial Union Building aka: the MUB where everyone can collect and be apart of our great Wildcat nation. The food is great, the buildings and amenities are more than comparable, and the friendly staff make life at UNH easy. UNH supports diversity through creating an accepting environment filled with pride and encouragement, and in other words, supports the dreams of their students without fail.

shannon

The University of New Hampshire is a great school. The academics here are amazing and there are lots of fun things to do here. I would highly recommend looking attending here. It was my first choice and I couldn't be happier. It's always a great day to be a wildcat!

Olivia

The University of New Hampshire is an amazing place to be and go to school. There is lots to do around the campus and there are many people to meet and see. Every day, there is a learning experience from one end of campus to the other end of campus. A person can learn more of themselves and of others around them.

Marissa

I love this school and it is the best decision I've ever made! Everything I need is here. The campus is beautiful, I've made great friends, and I'm never bored. We also use recently got named as the number one safest college campus in America! I wouldn't trade this for the world.

Ali

I'm in one of the worst dorms (Hubbard), which is the Honors dorm, which is disappointing. The food seems to have gotten worse this semester, not a lot of flavor, but decent amount of options. There are loads of extracurricular activities to participate in and a good social scene. The classes aren't very hard though.

Camryn

I felt very welcomed to the school when I first arrived and found that everyone, including students and staff, made it very easy to adapt. There are also plenty of events provided by the school, so you are never bored. Lastly, I find that my class are interesting and the professors are easy to talk to and contact for help.

James

The University of New Hampshire is so much more than I expected. I'm from Maine, where I attended a small, private school. Now I'm at a large public university. I quickly learned that getting involved is fun and easy, the teachers are always available and truly seek what is best for their students, and the campus itself is beautiful, with brick buildings and sitting on what used to be agricultural land. The school is expensive, especially for an out of state student like myself, but it is worth it with the high quality professors and amazing opportunities for extracurricular activities, quality facilities, great social environment, and intramural sports! I'm glad I picked UNH.

Emma

Beautiful and diverse campus with a faculty that genuinely wants to help students succeed.