University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

« See more reviews of University of New Hampshire-Main Campus

The worst thing I consider about my school is that its spoken and written devotion to diversity at the university does not match its actions. Although there are groups centered on issues and learning about diversity, they are all student run. They are typically run by students that fall into the diverse category of that group. I feel that this puts pressure on those students to automatically become activists and fight for themselves, not because they necessarily wanted to, but because the people that gave their word about “promoting diversity” are not following up.

I think the worst thing abuot my school is the general education requirements necessary for graduation. There are far too many general education requirements and not enough guidance from advisors for making sure you complete them all in a timely fashion. Rather than adding to and enriching your experience as an undergradute, the fairly rigid general education requirements add stress and make it difficult to complete major requirements in time, especially as a science major. It also leaves no time to take elective type courses that may be of interest to you.

The worst thing about the University of New Hampshire is the lack of diversity. The majority of students come from white, middle-class families. Very few minorities can be seen walking around campus. I feel this doesn't provide students with an accurate depiction of the real world. The real world is filled with people of different colors and socio-economic backgrounds. I feel college is the time to be exposed to the differences of society because you need to learn to accept all types of people. and the only way to achieve this, is to be exposed to it.

The worst thing about school is the number of rainy days that occur. This may sound trivial but if you as a freshman come to school without rainboots be prepared for some very soggy socks. While winters are very cold, UNH keeps the dorms very warm and cozy. At the beginning of the year many students go out on the weekends, it becomes more of a pain once the cold weather, mainly snow, and rain hit campus. This does not stop the adamant partiers although the outfits tend to change ever so slightly to contain uggs and slightly warmer coats.

The incredible waste of money on materialistic items like the pewter mascot, road repair using bricks which need to be replaced again the next year and the horrible out-of-state tuiton rate. It seems as though the courses that you need are only offered during selected semesters and I wish I knew which professors were the ones I should have had as Freshman & Sophomore. College put me in debt for almost 50k. I wish my college didn't run so much like a business! We also need more recognition for our veterans who are also students among us!

UNH is a great school for anyone majoring in Engineering, Business, Nursing, Pre-med, Computer science, etc. However, for students who come to the school Undecided or are majoring in English or one of the soft sciences, it might not be worth it. I will certainly miss UNH, but I have to do what's best for me career-wise, and as an English major looking to make it in the publishing world, UNH did not have much to offer (ex. the campus is in a small town in New Hampshire, so it lacks internship oppurtunites with publishing companies).

The worst thing about UNH would be availibility of classes. It is a fairly large campus and popular courses fill up within the first few hours of availibility. They compensate for this by staggering when students are allowed to begin signing up for the next semester's courses and putting holds onseats for popular classes, but there are always a lot of students disappointed about their schedule. Also, some required classes are only offered during specific semesters, making it more difficult to arrange your schedule.

It's hard to make the transition from a small community college to a large university. At community college, I was greeted with excitement by my advisor, but at UNH I found it difficult to just track my advisor down to sign a form! It can be easy to let yourself get lost in the crowd, but there are a lot of opportunities to do amazing work because UNH has fantastic resources especially for research. I think the key is, do what you can to make connections with professors, even if you're one out of 300 in a class.

It is hard to say what the worst thing about UNH is as I truly enjoy attending this university. From the location to the variety of classes offered, I find that I made the right choice in going to this school. However, I have heard about some five-year programs at schools such as Northeastern where they offer co-op programs. I think that the idea of studying for a semester and working a semester is very appealing as it could facilitate finding a job after school (which is a major concern for recent gradates).

In my experience the worst thing about UNH is the adding and dropping classes system. Signing up for classes in the first place is an easy enough task, but it gets really complicated when you decide to add or drop one. The student is required to go to the specific class they want to add and get a signature from the professor; but there's no way to know if the class is full so the student ends up running around to find a class with room that fits into their schedule. That is, if there are any.