University of Oregon

« See more reviews of University of Oregon

The University of Oregon offers great academics. The classes are somewhat large, with 500 students, however there are small class as well consisting of 25 student, it all depends on the class. Also, some say that the teachers might not know your name is large classes which is probably the case, however, it's up to you as a student to make the effort and talk to your professor. Students at the University of Oregon study a lot, because since it runs under quarter system, each term is going in a fast pace, in which the students try their hardest to stay on top of their class. I am studying Pre-Law, but my major is Planning Public Policy and Management, and it is a very good department. The school has a wonderful academic program!

One thing I would change is the class sizes. Lectures are huge, it's very intimidating to ask a question when the entire class groans at you. It's also very intimidating to go to office hours half way through the term with a question if the professor doesn't even recognize your face. When you do though, they are very happy to see you so that feeling disappears within a few seconds. If you're not very outgoing it can be difficult to make friends and do well in class. My favorite class and most unique class was the Philosophy of Love and Sex. The professor was very engaging and presented many arguments about topics I'd never even thought of.

Professors can honestly make you like or hate the subject. I recommend asking others who have taken the class what they liked and didn't like about the professor's teaching style and possibly read some reviews online about them. There are a lot of general education requirements. Definitely try to get classes that overlap multiple requirements (likes "arts and letters" and "multicultural" are both satisfied for the same class). This way, you have more space in your schedule to take the classes you want, and a better chance to graduate on-time, although an increasing number of students stay for a fifth year, and that's ok to do too.

Academics at the school can be easy or challenging, depending on the course. Since I am double majoring in biology and human physiology, my workload is tremendous and my classes are quite difficult. I am glad there is free help for math and writing on campus, because it is very useful since I can't afford a tutor and don't have a lot of time for one. The professors I have had thus far have all been very kind to the students, and I can always tell that they have a passion for teaching. Professors will make time for you outside of class if necessary, because they want students to perform well and understand the material.

The academics here are wonderful. For a medium sized school, the fairly large lectures can be a pain, but the classes with intimate settings allow for greater understanding of subject matter and give students a real opportunity to thrive. In a lot of the larger "lecture" style classes, many students tend to be shy to speak out, however many students at the University of Oregon manage to participate regularly in class with stimulating class discussion. The studying environment at the UO is a balanced one - the students are dedicated to studying, however it is not the sole purpose of being a student at the UO.

The academics are very, very good. For such a big school, it's kind of amazing how there can be classes of 20-30 kids. Those kinds of classes encourage class participation, but the huge lecture classes don't. There is a huge variety of classes to choose from, and many are very unique and interesting. The common areas are always full of students studying and discussing intellectual issues. The education encourages students to do what inspires them, but there is also a great career center that helps students immensely.

If you can get into it, take the American Sign Language sequence for your two years of foreign language credit. It's an eye-opening, inspiring experience with a teacher who feels passion about her subject and genuine care for her students. I learned about a brand new culture I didn't even knew existed before I took the class and you get to learn about issues that are going on here and now. You may not be able to get into ASL101 your first fall term here, but wait around. It'll be worth it.

The academics are pretty rigorous. But I am sure they are at most colleges. No the professors don't know your name unless you make an effort to attend their office hours numerous times and talk to them on your own. The teaching assistants and the GTF's though, are encouraged to learn your names and it isn't hard to get one on one help with your classes. I think a lot of the classes I take seem unneccesary to complete my major, but I think that they want students to really have a variety.

The professors in the Dept of Dance pick their favorites, the students that will hopefully make their choreography digestible. Nobody is taken seriously if they have any sort of degree in dance from the U of O. Seriously. YouTube any of their productions. They are... embarrassing. Even the Assistant Professors works suck, and they are considered contemporary. There is nothing contemporary about the U of O. The town and department both have arrested development.

The academic learning style varies by class. Some classes are like a high school setting, with no more than 30 in the classroom and the teacher knows who you are. Other classes are giant lecture halls and the teacher may not even know your face. Either way, the quality of education is excellent. Students are fairly competitive, but ultimately people are there for the knowledge rather than the grades.