University of Oregon

« See more reviews of University of Oregon

The University of Oregon has monotonous standards for the average student, requiring classes that are repetitious, expensive and unhelpful for their career and major goals. The generic requirements that provide little creative outlet are not supporting a generation of students who are likely to drop out or take a fifth year. If the University allowed more wiggle room, and the option to test out of the generic freshman requirements students would be more engaged in their education. At such a large school as this it would make students feel as if they are not fading into the crowd.

The campus is amazing but there are a few limitations to it. Often much of the money that gets donated to the campus goes directly to the business and sports facilities. Some of the other buildings could use some maintenance. While this is not hugely detrimental it is rather annoying that money usually goes first to those two (sports, business) and whatever is left over goes to the other parts of campus. There are parts of campus that bring the old colonial mixed with the modern. Unfortunately, in order to continue to maintain those colonial buildings they require funds.

Most people would say the worst thing about the school is the weather. No matter what anyone says - it rains a lot, and when it doesn't rain, it is generally cloudy. This can be tough on a lot of the kids from southern California who come here to school. I, on the other hand, came from eastern Washington, so I'm just happy it doesn't snow, but the rain can get old after a while. The good news is that on sunny days we have a beautiful city, gorgeous campus, and great outdoors to enjoy.

I don't love the quarter system too much. It moves really fast sometimes and i feel rushed in my studies. However, after about 10 weeks of school I am ready to end the classes I am in and start new ones! In addition to what I have said, it takes about 3-4 weeks to kind of figure out how the class works and how the tests work but by then the term is already half way over. I sill love every minute of it though. It drives me to work harder every minute that i have.

The classrooms and buildings are not all up-to-date. The largest lecture hall on campus (about 500 seats) is falling apart, has terrible acoustics, and uncomfortable seats. Many other classrooms are small or uncomfortable. They mostly have adequate teaching equipment, but have old desks and sometimes no control of room temperature. Many buildings could use an update or makeover. Other than that, I love this school and everything about it.

The worst thing about the University of Oregon is Blackboard (the online system students/teachers use to get/give information for classes). The system is not very clear and can be glitchy. Many students experience problems with the system such as: system failure, login issues, page timeout, etc. The way classes are listed on the main page are also very confusing and unhelpful since many past classes are listed on the same page.

The only scholarship I was able to receive was one for my grades and it was very small. I came to this school having no idea what college life was like and no advisor helped me. My parents don't pay a time for my schooling but that meant nothing to the school. The faculty does not care about students individually. I started in one major and was driven out of it because the faculty didn't think of me personally.

I have worked so hard for my grades, and the classes in which I have worked the hardest I have earned B's because of unfair grading. I have literally gone to see several different proffessors 12-15 times during a term while having trouble or questions and have not gotten into his/her office hours or the prof does not answer questions or 7 trips later does not remember my name. It is absurd.

The weather can definitely 'dampen' many people's spirits but if you put a positive outlook on it every once in a while it won't be as bad. The rain is a GREAT excuse to cuddle up on the couch and watch a movie or read a book. I love to crack the window near my bed and listen to the rain. Or you can go mud diving and puddle jumping, then warm up in the shower. It's also a free car wash.

The worst thing about the University of Oregon is the lack of political activism. Eugene is known for being a "hippie" town, but the students at the University of Oregon rarely do much to create social change. They often complain about the political situation in the city/state/country or about the actions of the administration, but are rarely moved to organize to do anything about it.