University of Pittsburgh-Bradford

« See more reviews of University of Pittsburgh-Bradford

Once you find a college that focuses on your field of study, what is most important is whether the campus actually fits. The college may be considered a great place, but students and parents alike must remember that any student makes what he or she wants out of their college experience, the place should not define the person, but the person the place. By getting involved in your community/campus, maintaining your grades, gaining leadership opportunities, and becoming a person who enjoys interactions with others and succeeds in them is vital. What I found to be vital is not worrying about what my friends are doing, not what people think I should do, or just following what others are doing in general, but following my own independent and responsible goals that are realistic. No one wants to be stuck in a place where they do not feel like they belong or can excel. I am happy to say that I feel at home on this campus and know that I have the opportunity for success. If you go to a college do it for yourself and make sure that the place is somewhere you want to be for four years.

Dear Senior Year Chelsea, Your college life is going to start out rough. You are going to face some struggles that most others will not; that is nothing new in your life, though. As always, you will make it through; you are strong enough. The first week of your first semester of college, you will have your appendix removed. You will total your car at the beginning of your second semester. The third semester, well, that one will be one of your toughest; many family emergencies and your part-time job turning into a full-time job leave you running ragged, yet you still manage to keep your grades up. Keep your head up; things will always get better as they always have. God will not give you more than you can handle. On your rough days, pull up The Serenity Prayer, as it has always given you strength and courage before. Keep up the good work. You will look back and appreciate all of the struggles you were forced to endure. Love Always, Present-day Chelsea P.S. You may have the chance to graduate a semester early due to your hard work and dedication.

If I could go back I'd tell myself about my regrets in High School. Personally when I started my senior year, I was starting to realize that I needed to take more steps to becoming successful because my previous years of high school were ridiculed with poor work ethics. Now that I'm in college I now realize I could've taken even more steps to become more successful. One major part of high school I regret is that I didn't join clubs or organizations like I do now. I thoroughly enjoy doing behind-the-scenes work with events and it's what I do now with the Student Activities Club in college. Another step I could've taken my senior year was to study for the SAT more because my 2nd SAT scores didn't improve. Although I was in honor roll my senior year, I felt I could've taken many more challenging classes like English 12 Honors. Last, but not least, was that I never got a job even after graduating high school. Working gives extra money and experience for college that can be the difference between staying inside or going out and having fun.

I would tell any parents or students looking for the "right" college to think about what is important to them. The little things really add up. I choose the University of Pittsburgh Bradford because it was the distance, class size, and price range I wanted. When you search you need to take all the small details into mind, including do you like the dorm style, meal plan, and library. As for gaining the best college experience possible my advice is simple; do everything. Try anything you can. I have attended classes I am not taking, sat in meetings for clubs I am not involved in, and I go to as many university-sponsored activities as I can fit into my schedule. This way you can truely experience the most of what your college has to offer, you make great connections, and have a wonderful time making the most of the semesters. The best advice I can give is to get involved, take risks, and dig for the best of what your university can offer you. That is how you make your college the right college for you.

Dear Self, Nothing right now is as important as it seems. That relationship with your high school, on again off again, boyfriend is not going to work out, and you're going to lose touch with most of the catty girls that you consider your friends. Your family is who is going to be there for you all throughout college, so relinquish yourself from the unnecessary drama and focus on the important things in your life, your relationship with your family and your education. Study hard and take your classes seriously for they will be what truly prepares you for the work load of a college coarse. Lastly, remember to always be and love yourself. Confidence is what will get you to where you want to be. If you don't believe me look at all the obstacles you've already overcome, and now look to the future where you will reach your goal of playing college basketball despite the physical odds. You can do anything you set your mind to, so live your life to the fullest and never stop chasing your dreams. Self

If I were to go back in time and advise myself about collge and transitioning, I would tell myself not to believe everything you hear. College is not just about the partying. It is about studying hard to acheive good grades. It is about feeling accomplished and proud of yourself, because going to college is a giant step towards the future. I would advise myself to focus on my grades and tell myself that it is alright to become overwhelmed. It is a lot of work to get used to. I would advise myself, college is not like high school and going to college will be the hardest I would of had to do in my life yet so far. I needed new ways of studying my old methods no longer worked. I would warn myself that even though A's and B's were what I got in high school, does not mean college would be the same. College is supposed to be more challenging. It is supposed to push passed the boundaries we once held in high school. I would advise myself to go to every class. It is my future and my degree at stake.

I would tell myself that college is no joke. I wouldnt tell myself that I should be worried about the school its self but the costs to go to college, what i could have done to better prepare myself for the financial aspect. Every student who enrolls into college and has to pay out of pocket to go and only has a job thats gets em by in the mean time to pay for the things you need just to get to school and work alone. As soon as you get that first billing payment for student loans your heart drops because its so much money and you barely even have enough to pay for gas, food, etc. My main advice I could give myself is to have a better saving plan for my money if it was even possible. college life really isnt any different from high school life and the only advice i could give my self is that just like high school all school work counts. Dont be a slacker in other words. Like I said the biggest concerns about college is the financial area when your a paying out of the pocket to go.

I would tell myself that everything would be ok and that there is really nothing to be worried about. I would tell myself to become more organized and learn how to take better notes. I would tell myself that the people at UPB are going to be welcoming and accepting and that i should take the time to meet some new people and make friends. I would tell myself as a senior in high school that i should not stress about the little things and that the professors at UPB will always be there when you need help and will do there best to do so. I would also tell myself that i shouldn't stress about school starting in the fall instead i should be focusing on enjoying the last few days i have with my friends and classmates cause you never know how the new people you meet and friends you make will affect you life and how you look at things. Because college will change your prespective on life. So i would tell myself to live in the here and now but always be planning for the future.

Look for the college that's right for you. Don't go because of your friends, or because of the cost. Go because you want to learn all that you can about a particular major, to make it your livelyhood, and you know that this university you're eyeing up is the right on for you based on that. Parents, help your child to make that decision on their own. College is all about independence, and by supporting their choices, whatever they may be, you're affording them the oppertunity to gain confidence they can later use in their lives. Most of all, have fun. These are some of the best years of your life, and by choosing the college that's right for you, then you'll be better able to make the most of them, and create some of the greatest memories you'll possibly ever find. Follow you hearts, and follow your dreams, but be sure to keep an open mind through it all. Search, and you never know just what you'll find lying alongside the road of life you've started on.

I would tell parents/students, to leave all of their options open. The student should make a list of what they are looking for in a college, visit each college/university and make sure they are able to talk to the administration, professors, coaches, and any students that can answers and and all questions. Try to sit in on an actual class in their field of study, so they can see what the professor is like and how he/she interacts with the students. Always ask about the financial aid, grants, and any scholarships available that would help with the schooling. Once you have narrowed it down to a few, do another visit and get any last minute answers to any questions you might have and possibly arrange to do an overnight stay at the college. Once in college, enjoy the experience. Take advantage of any opportunities that will come your way, as four years of college goes by fast and you will be entering into the workforce and the life of an adult.