University of Redlands Top Questions

Allen

Study harder in high school. Learn to balance work and play time. The best thing about college is freedom, but do not over do it. Balance, balance is key. Find the balance between study time, date nights, movie nights, parties, and club gatherings. Study hard, make sure your GPA is above 3.5. Be proactive, network more, socialize, and DO INTERNSHIPS! The best thing about college is finding yourself, but find it faster.

Alex, don't stress about leaving the comforts of your home. Even though it seems scary to leave your best friends, boyfriend, and family, living on campus at a four year university will be the best decision you ever make in your life. The independence you yearned for all throughout high school will be fulfilled to the farthest depths that you never even knew was possible. Trust that you can handle yourself, and trust that college will be the best years of your life. Don't hold on too tightly to the bonds you have at home, be ready to loosen those grips in order to allow yourself to make knew ones in your new home. There is nothing more you can do to mentally and physically prepare yourself for what is to come, so just be ready to take the experience for what it is and make the most of it. Refrain from contemplating if you believe you are ready to leave home or not, because you are. Once you get settled in school you will realize all the work you did in high school was worth it and you'll never be happier.

Karah

If I could go back to my high school self, I would tell her to study harder and strive for the best grades I could possibly achieve. I would tell her not to spend her money on useless things, but instead put that money in her savings for college. I would also prepare her for harder classes and more work load, and make sure she's organized and ready for that. She will have better time management and not procrastinate.

Don't get lazy. Lazyness will only cause you to stress and worry all the time. Stay on top of everything you need to do. You know how to make good choices, so don't second guess yourself. Your life is yours and who cares what people think of you.

Steve

Steve, you should ask Debbie to the Prom! With that said, be determined about continuing your education! You have the brains to do it, you've just got to be determined and know that there is more than one way to do it. No, you don't need to further your education, this is true. But, it is worth far more than you can imagine, as well as presents more opportunities than you currently think. I believe that furthering your education would have given you more of an ability to recognize a door to opportunity or an offer to something better. College will help you build relationships and networks of people that care about you. If you figure out a way to go to college right after high school, calculus won't be so dang hard then going back to school when your 55! Please believe me when I tell you that not getting to college will haunt your entire life, up until the day that you do make it back to college. Nothing should be more important to you right now, then furthering your education. Oh, and get your college so you can be an officer when you enlist!

Your life is a tumultuous thing right now. All the advice-giving adults you know are saying how important this next year is; so first—take a deep breath. I’ll tell you what I wish we’d known when at seventeen. First, this is not an end, but a beginning. Don’t be afraid to step forward into unknown things—academically, socially, personally, geographically. Second, savor the “good ol’ days” you’re in now. Be a high-school senior while you can. The future will be here faster than you know it. Third, leave the worry and gut-wrenching anxiety of SAT, ACT, and AP scores behind. NO ONE GIVES A DAMN about them in college. Lastly, college won’t solve every problem you’ve ever had or be a magical place of perfect experiences. It will be challenging and extraordinary. It will sometimes be lonely and heartbreaking. It will be a place where you decide who you will be—where you end up with the right regrets. When you graduate high school, reexamine how far you’ve come, know how proud of you your future-self is, and realize how much more you’ll get to experience.

To not give up! I didn’t see the true value in a college education. Now I work long hours in a horrible job. The way I am treated on a regular basis, is a constant reminder of my mistakes after high school. Now I work full-time while paying my bills, and tuition. I would give anything to go back in time to make better decisions. I would be happier and a better person, if I had never given up!

The transition from high school to college is a milestone. Legally, you can do pretty much anything and college leaves it to you to keep your parents in the loop. It's liberating and scary to have that much freedom but remember that, should anything happen to you, your parents will also be affected by your choices. Rather than hiding aspects of your life, be real with them. If you're doing something that you wouldn't want to tell your parents, ask yourself if it's worth doing. Demonstrate your responsibility by handling your finances. Get a job and keep track of hours worked and pay days so when the pay check comes, there's no surprises. Create a weekly alert system for your bank account. Create a budget and purpose for savings like a car, study abroad, etc. then work towards that goal. Finally, avoid the "freshmen 15" by buying food, like milk and oatmeal, to eat rather than consuming only unhealthy commons food. Brush your teeth at 10PM to prevent snacking and create a schedule to work out and make a gym buddy to motivate you to adhere to it. Most important, be true to yourself!

I would tell myself to take the upper divison math and english courses. My senior would have been difficult balancing my job and extra curricullar activies, but it would have been worth not having to take certain courses now. Also to keep contact with anyone that wrote letters of recommendation for future use as well.

Since I have only been in college for one semester, I have not been able to experience everything that the University of Redlands has to offer yet. What I have been able to experience is: amazing teaching staff, great community, a beautiful campus, freedom, and courses that push you to the best scholar. The teaching staff at Redlands is very applicable to the students. They are always ready for class, ready to answer questions, and open to meeting outside of class to help you with your questions. Even if you might not be able to meet with a professor one-on-one, there are still numerous programs on campus that are here to help. The community of students is by far the best I have ever seen. Everyone is welcoming and friendly and willing to help you out with anything you have. The dorms offer a great chance to meet with other students that have the same interests as you or are in the same class as you. I have had an amazing first semester at the University of Redlands, and I cannot wait for the upcoming years as I continue to advance in my academic career and social experiences.

College is like nothing I have ever experienced, ever before. From moving out of the house and living on campus, to having literally three hours of homework every single night, college has taught me so much about time management. Managing time is such an important lesson that students should learn- cleaning rooms, going to class, working out at the gym, rushing sororities, doing homework, going to clubs and whatever else hardly leaves any room for showering and sleeping it seems! It took me a while to find a happy median between all of the above, but I feel at ease about everything now, and I am really glad that I have been learning how to manage time. Another very important lesson that i've gained at colllege is money management. That buying that fifteen- dollar shirt really does "break the bank." Other than these lessons, going to school here has been the most rewarding thing- academically and socially that I have ever experienced.

Alexa

I have learned so much in such little time. I have taken classes in subjects I never had really explored, like Archaeology, and you never know how it will affect you. That class led me to a Sociology/Anthropology minor. College has also given me relationships to such amazing people, and I know the experience I have here will carry out of the classroom and affect me for the rest of my life. I now know how to budget my money, and college has really taught me the importance of an education, as well as shaped me into an adult.

Besides continuing my education and helping me decide on and prepare for a career, the college experience has been a great transition from living at home in high school to being independant when I graduate from college. Whether living in dorms or apartments, having to live with a roommate and manage your time and activities helps prepare for life after school. Living on your own in college you must depend mostly on yourself, but because you are still in school there is enough support to help when you are having trouble. I think the process of going from dorms as a freshman and sophomore, to an apartment as a junior has helped me develop more independance and self-reliance at a steady and appropriate pace. I find myself much more mature and have no doubt that once I have graduated from college I will be more prepared for living on my own than I would have been if I had not attended college.

Nydia

Although I have not attended yet, because I am supposed to start Aug. 2. I am very excited to be attending so I can get right into the career I am wanting. I would like to be and will be a paralegal. I have chosen this profession due to my past and what I have seen. I would like to make a difference instead of becoming apart of the problem, I want to help others as much as I can and if you grant me with this money I would be more than appreciative and you will definitely not be let down or questioning how your money is being spent due to whatever grants or scholarships I receive go to my "account" that the school holds. I am not so sure of how to explain it, but if you want to you can contact the school I am going to. I am not sure of the number, but it is Santa barbara business college although it is the ventura,ca campus for paralegals.

allie

I've learned a lot about being able to manage my time properly. through my school I have been able to take trips abroad to Africa and the Balkans to learn about genocide reconciliation. These trips have changed the way I understand the world, I see the world in terms of humanity, not in terms of nationality, ethnicity, religion or class. The experiences I have had in other countries have been invaluable to my life and learning proccess.

Dakota

College are not only the best days of your life but also the most valuable and memorable. I have gotten so many things out of my experience. I have 40 beautiful sorority sisters that are my best friends and behind me 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} and a great alumnae network. I have gained great communication skills that cant be replaced by any other experience. I have also gained a safe place to be me 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the time because of a special retreat I went on my freshmen year I have 83 other people I know I can count on and can always feel safe with for sure. I have gained knowledge and the tools needed to take it to any level I could ever want and the resources to help me get there. Most of all I have gained value of life, people and education, I have learned that passion is what leads people to position; whether it is in their fraternity/sorority or in their persuit to a career. Most valuable is that I learned that while we may be young, we make an impact from every action and decision made on a daily basis, whether positive or negative, we decide.

The first two years at the University of Redlands has been a unique experience. Imagine a beautiful exotic campus the size of USC but with a small private school located on it. There have been times when I have not felt socially pleased, such as the first semester of sophmore year. However, I have always had one or two good friends here and there that made us stand out. When it came to everyone else, I was cool with everyone. The social life here was somewhat similar to my last two years in High School; partying. Other than the social life and the unique people I have met from around the country, the education is splendid. The extreme small classes of 10-15 students allows you to receive a lot of individual attention from your professors, almost like a private tutor. In adittion, all the professors are quite diverse and extremely educated. To sum it up, the most valuable experiences from attending the University of Redlands has been the education, the few important friends I have made, and the California culture. Coming from a background of having lived in Europe, Montreal, New York, and PA, California shall be my future.

Cheryl

Through my varied professional and educational experiences, I have learned that, contrary to the wisdom bestowed by my high school guidance counselor, not everyone will follow the same path to adulthood. I first entered college at the tender age of 18, completely overwhelmed and without a sense of where I wanted to be in five, ten, or thirty years. The series of life events triggered by that single hastily made choice ? service in the US Air Force, followed by many years of college while working full time and raising a family - has driven my desire to assist others in reaching their own personal and professional goals. My experience with University of Redlands School of Business has been absolutely outstanding I particularly appreciate the focus placed on the students? own professional experience as a foundation for instruction and learning and the level of commitment to learning older students have. While I have maintained my professional goal of working within human resources and staff development, my classmates and instructors have further inspired me to focus even more on becoming a leader in the adult education community as this segment of higher education is, unfortunately, often overlooked by many institutions.

I would tell myself that I should be more involved in clubs on campus and get to know more than one group of friends. I would make sure to stress being more outgoing toward strangers. Starting at the U of R made it easier to introduce myself to the small community, but if I had been outgoing as a high school senior it would have been less difficult to speak up. I would advise myself to learn how to carry on an airy, casual conversation more often and without hesitation. This would have made my transition so much simpler.

My dear sweet Michelle, I have travelled back in time to whisper some wisdom into your heart. Please listen closely as I have only a few moments to share about your future. Go to college and finish what you start, complete your degree in psychology. Even though you feel lost and unsure of what and how you will fit into this world, have no fear, a direction will become clear. You are a winner even though you lack the self esteem to know how truly smart you are. I want you to trust your intelligence, but not only that, but to trust your heart too. As you will see that most people don't follow their calling, they lack the gumption, the faith in believing that their dreams are possible. Find a mentor, find counsel, get support from those that can see your gifts and potential, just don't give up, don't quit. Excel in school, like a diamond in the rough that becomes polished by learning. Don?t take school for granted, have gratitude for the opportunity to learn, and whatever you do, avoid the biggest regret of your life, by not finishing. See you in the future!

I would walk right up to myself and say, "April, don't give up." There have been many times in my life that I have given up. I have always put my families interests before my own, that is what happens when you become a mother. It took a long time to realize that until I get my education there is no taking care of my family. I would like to show my children that there is a future when you get your education. I have been in school now for the last two years and have just recently accomplished a transfer into a University. Old April would not have been able to imagine herself standing in front of the University of Redlands admissions building. I am there and I am not going to give up.

Nieko

Staying focused on school is important and you've shown the ability to focus on anything you've set your mind to and accomplishing all your goals, but it's also important to take a step back, maybe even two, from school work and slow down and enjoy your fellow peers. Their friendships and support is invaluable in college and you'll learn that although it's your four years in college, you really can't do it all alone and to have a support network behind you is the greatest inspiration and motivation to reach even higher goals and accomplish things that you couldn't fathom accomplishing on your own. Relax and open up to the people around you, they all see great potential in you and want nothing but the best for you, so to let them in, and to let them help you in your time of need is a two way connection that you'll find you constantly need to have in order to truly flourish and shine. College is supposed to be the greatest years of your life, and the greatest thing you could have are friends that truly care about you.

Athena

Go for the school you want. Research everything carefully and always make sure to visit the campus many times. Get in touch with the people there and understand the school you want to get into. Definitely make sure to stay organized and utilize the resources that you have.

I would know more about the intended carreer I would want to go in. That way you can research the best schools for that specific major and know that you would be getting a complete education. By declaring a major late, was unable to have the luxury of taking more elective courses, and instead find myself cramming in classes needed for my major. Also by declaring late, if halfway through the major, if it turns out to not be what you think, you are too late to change to another major. At Redlands, I am a Financial Economics major, and though it sounds impressive, the actual course load for this major is not what is expected. I have had almost no Finance classes, and my Senior Seminar class was far from putting my overall education to use. Instead we were "lumped" with Economics major and had no finance, once again, in that course. I now feel very unprepared for a carrer in the finance industry, when I thought by declaring I would be getting a true education in it.

Caitlen

I would tell myself that college is a time of discovery not only regarding academics, but also regarding life. I would also tell myself to take it easy and not to fret the small stuff. College is a time of self discovery, making new friends and growing up. Don't be so worried about what every one will think about the decisions you make and don't pressure yourlsef to be perfect 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of the time.

Go with your gut! If you like a school, chances are you will like going there. Take others' advice, but don't let them influence you too much. Ultimately, you're the one who is going to spend 4 years at this place, so make the decision for yourself.

Aleisha

1. Be true to yourself and don't get caught up in the social scene by trying to fit in. There are people like you for you and your true friends will be there before, during, and after the drama. 2. Stay focused on your goal and the values you grew up with. Nobody is going to give you a great job or a healthy family because you were the one in college that partied the most or had the most friends. 3. Get out there and get involved! It allows you to make new friends, give back to the community, gain new experiences, and/or view life at different perspectives. 4. Find a balance between studying, socializing, and sleeping. Too much of one and not enough of the others make it a little more difficult to stay focused and healthy.

Alright kiddo, don't stress too much about college. You have done everything you can to prepare yourself up to this point. Remember that you finally get to go be yourself at a home away from home. Eddie, Mark and Sarah will still look up to you. Make them proud and be sure to do things that you would want them to someday do as well. Make your dorm room comfortable yet practical and always get work done before you go out to have fun. You're here to work hard now so you can enjoy life later. That being said, don't neglect your social life for work. Do your work well and make time for friends and family. Finding the balance between work and friends is what will make or break you in college. Either because you aren't doing well due to poor study habits or because you aren't doing well due to lack of support. As strong as you want to be you will always need someone to be next to you cheering you on. As smart as you want to be you will always have to study hard to do well. Good luck kiddo.

Ruby

I don't think there is really a way to know about the right school until you find it or you get to campus and you realize this is the place I want to be. Sometimes the first choice isn't the right one. Its very important to feel comfortable with all aspects of the school you are attending. Being involved makes college all the better, being greek and an athlete provides so many amazing experiences that you wouldn't get otherwise. College is the best time of your life if you give it the chance.

Alannah

When looking for the right school, don't just rush in or only pick one that you think you really wanna go to and then regret it later. Take your time, search thuroughly and schedule campus visits so you can get a hands-on feel for the campus. Talk to some of the students and faculty to get an idea of the curriculum and academic programs. Also, if possible, schedule an overnight so you can get the full dorm life experience. After that, decide which school you felt more comfortable at and that will ultimately be your college choice.

?I think you?re good at empowering and healing people. I think you?re good at empowering women,? the advisor rattled off with precise articulation, as if he were reciting a well-rehearsed poem. I was given these words when I was questioning my identity. Ah. Guidance. If only it were that easy! But it wasn?t. When I discovered the Johnston program within the University of Redlands, I was overjoyed to identify my passions and craft an emphasis that strengthened them. However, learning the initiative and management skills were the backbreaking methods to my emergence as a true leader. When I think of The University of Redlands, and the high ratings I gave it in campusdiscovery.com?s survey, I think of Johnston. Yet, because the College of Arts and Sciences at Redlands and the Johnston Center are combined in a constructive environment, I had so many choices. I could design my women?s studies classes and take classes in the art department, taking away skills to create my own activist-focused art. I learned to be an entrepreneur for myself. Simply put, that?s what I want for my children someday: lots of choices and entrepreneurial leadership.

Heath

To find the college or university that best suits your needs, I would advise turning to the internet first. This can be a huge time-saver, and, with the information flow on the internet today, it is assuredly a best bet. Armed with a web-site like Campusdiscovery.com, students and families are bound to narrow down their search for the right school in a matter of minutes! One can browse through colleges based on very specific preferences and even see what the current students are saying about it. Once a particular interest is gained, a campus visit can be a helpful option. This can be expensive, but it is a great way for the student to experience the campus, social life, and environment first-hand. As far as making the most of the college experience is concerned, it is all about attitude and participation. Students will find that they will enjoy their college years if they have a positive attitude. Stay connected with people, make new friends, and try to attend events that appeal to your interests. Just remember to stay safe and keep a sharp mind for your studies.

Go to the school, stay a night there if you can. There is no other way of knowing whether or not it is the right fit. Don't out-rule private schools! It is not as expensive as you think. Most private schools give excellent financial aid!

Janet

Princeton Review is a good place to start when applying. Make sure you think about it thoroughly and make a decision that works well for the student primarily, after all this is the time for the student to start becomming independent and to become and adult. Also, check out the school before signing up. You want to make sure that you are comfortable with the area, the campud and the vibe of the school.

Geoffrey

Parents ought to do their utmost to determine what their sons or daughters are really looking for; that is to say, what their interests really are. While college certainly presents its students with a time for dramatic change and self-searching, parents can do worse than act as guides in this initial way. I would not advise suggesting "dad's good-old alma mater" for the single reason that it is "dad's good-old alma mater"; this reason alone may not stand up to the individuality of the prospective student. Guidance is better than delegation in this respect, though the cost of education can be high. Students ought to heed the advice of their parents, but to take it with a grain of salt would not be rash. They are not the ones going off to college (though they may at first be the ones paying for it). This is the student's education; and to the extent which the student is willing to take ownership of her future, to that same extent ought she to value the selection process. Don't settle! Apply everywhere you might want to go. You might get in somewhere you didn't expect.

I recommend KNOWING what you want. That is the easiest way. Do you like to be around people all the time? Is it important to have your car as a freshman? Do you want someplace that emphases community service? KNOW it. Then find something that fits that description. Then visit. I don't think the scheduled visits with overnight stays are ever that much more helpful--I liked to just go on my own, take a campus tour, and get the feel of the place. You want to feel safe where you go to school, and nothing will tell you that until you visit. Visits also let you know if there's people you think you want to meet there. I think it's important to be far enough from your parents so that you are independent (you aren't going to grow up if you have your parents to do your laundry, and you aren't going to make new friends if all your high school friends are right there), but not so far so that you can't get home during a family emergency . I think anywhere from 300 to 1500 miles is good.

Krystal

Live on campus for the first year if it's not a commuter school. The experience of being on your own, making friends, being able to stay up as late as one wants is amazing. Not having parental rules helps one create or enhance their own. Go with your gut, if it feels like the right school then it probably is. Go to class, it's essential for learning concepts.

I would just suggest not to go into any schools with any sort of bias or prior opinion. You can really feel it when you find yourself on the right campus. The tour of Redlands really sold me, and I've loved my time here.

Let the student make their own decision. Parents think they know what is right but when it comes down to it, the student will be their living and having to fit in and live their own life. If possible, visit the schools and decide where you feel most comfortable. And when you decide on a school, really get involved. Whether it is clubs, sports, Greek life, within your academic area of interest, or somewhere else, try to get involved in something on campus! Also, try a school that is well balanced. Social needs are very important to your growth as a person, as are academic. People often overlook social because they think it is not what you are in college for. Quite the contrary, social growth (including relationship experience-friendly and romantic) during college is very important.

Corianna

The prospective student should determine first and foremost whether or not they would prefer a college with enormous class sizes, or smaller class sizes (in which you get more individual attention and more accessibility to professors). Knowing exactly what tuition will cost, and the availability of on and off campus housing is also very important. Location of the college is also an important, but sometimes overlooked factor. If the campus is far from home, gas/plane tickets will occasionally need to be purchased. Rural areas might be too boring, big and lively cities might be too distracting. Go to each campus and take every tour possible. Some colleges will have the prospective student and/or family sit and talk with a counselor of some sort- have all your questions prepared. Definitely make a stop by the financial aid office to discuss potential scholarship or grant offers. If at all possible, walk around the campus unaccompanied by the tour guides and see if you can run into some students that are willing to answer questions: they will give you more honest responses about the quality of on-campus housing, receptiveness of professors and school administration, off-campus entertainment and social activities.

As a young person, I understand what most teenagers want to go to college for......partying. My advice would be to find out which schools are the "party schools" and which ones focus more on academics. Choose schools that have more of a conservative background if partying is a concern. (That is what I did myself). While you can never escape a party scene, if desired, it would be easier to find friends who focus on other things besides partying. That is very important for finding success in a college atmosphere.

Students need to feel absolutely comfortable and content with where they decide to go to college. As long as they feel comfortable they will have the confidence to branch out and meet new people. It's important for parents to encourage their children in the transition from high school student to college student. Parents should not hinder their child's growth but provide them with the tools necessary to succeed in college. Deciding on the right school is so important and will be a decision that affects their life so do your research--visit the campuses--stay overnight in a dorm--attend classes to help make the right decision! In the end, pick the school that feels right for you...the student!

Shelley

Every college is going to give you the education you need to be successful in the "real world," and any book or counselor will be able to point you towards the college that is best suited for your intended major or career. What is most important, in my opinion, when deciding which college to attend is to visit the campus and see if the "vibe" is right for you. What I mean by this is that each school has an intangible aura, present in the student body, professors, and classes that elicits a different feeling in each person, of either comfort or distress. Walk through the halls and try to imagine yourself in a year walking there as a student, would you feel content? Once in college, take advantage of every possible opportunity, because you will only be at that school, with those people, and at that moment in your life once (and you're paying for those opportunities!). Don't let anyone or anything stop you from meeting someone, taking a class, or joining an organization. There is nothing worse than leaving college saying, "I wish I'd done..." and nothing better than saying, "I have no regrets."

Follow your heart. This is a huge decision, and the decision can not be made according to what you can afford, or even what you hope to gain from the college experience. The choice needs to be all about a single factor, and do you know what that factor is? Neither do I. It's something you've got to find for yourself. The one thing that I ABSOLUTELY needed from college was an independant studies program and a place where all of my insane interest could come together to (somehow) form a degree. Maybe for you the factor is more than 40,000 students or the very best biology labs in the nation. Once you find that driving force then you go for it without relent. Make no compromises, and don't settle for what someone else suggests. This is the first time that the decison is all on you! Don't mess it up, as I believe you won't.

The most important thing about finding the right college is about where one feels comfortable and able to express themselves as individuals. Your education is really what YOU make of it, and in order to make the best of your education, I think you need to feel comfortable to be yourself in that setting.

Make sure you visit the colleges that you apply to and get accepted to because when you visit the schools it helps you get a feel of what the campus is like and whether or not you think you will fit in with the other students. In order to make the most of the college experience make sure you become involved in all the activities that your school offers too because that is a good way to stay busy and meet new friends.

Visit the college and talk to the students

Iyleen

I would definitely look into the academic programs that the schools offer as well as visit the schools beforehand to see what their facilities are like. I would also interview students who go to that school and get their personal viewpoints. Also check to see if that school provides financial aid to students who are below a certain income level.

Jackie

When I stepped foot onto the campus, I knew it was my new home. My simple advice is to go to each campus you are considering and see how you feel there. Stay and make appointments to meet with advisors and students to get the feel of the school. It is truly your home away from home.

Isaac

Visit the school during the academic year and make sure to sit in on classes. In order to properly gague the fit of the school you must be willing to put forth the effort both in online research as well as in-person visits.