Redlands, CA
University of Redlands

Video courtesy of University of Redlands.

The University of Redlands is a private, independent university centrally located from the beaches, mountains and desert in the heart of southern California.

Recognized for having one of the highest study abroad participation rates among our peers, Redlands students travel the world, choosing from more than 100 programs.

View the Full Summary

Brooke

I honestly love it here and I'm so grateful to even be here. I picked the University of Redlands because I was just a girl from a small town and this little tight-knit community was way less terrifying to me than a huge public university. I also love this school because they have helped me so much with my financial aid, way more than I believe most other universities would. Coming from a family with very low income and being someone who always wanted to attend college, I was worried I would not be able to due to the expenses of college. I still feel very humbled to even be here. The campus is gorgeous, the professors are readily available and nice, and the people are generally friendly and respectful.

Overall, an average institution. They offer a good education at a lofty price. The weather is great and the class size is ideal, making professors very reachable. Location is subpar and there is not much to do around campus or the surrounding areas.

Valerie

Its a school with great teachers and education. There are some complaints about the dorms and community bathrooms as there are with any school and shared living space but for the most part the dorms are clean and kept looking fresh. The academics here are amazing and you do get a real liberal arts education.

Angie

I feel really comfortable with the community here. I haven't felt unsafe on campus and I think it's a great place to come express your opinions and find people who think like you but also people who challenge you so you always see more than just one side to a topic.

Christian

The University of Redlands has been my home for a year now and there has not been a day where I feel like I am unable to say that it is with confidence. It has been a place to foster my growth and development as an individual as well as give me new insight to different cultures around me. The faculty deserve an A+ rating due to their countless effort in ensuring our success as a student body. I mostly enjoy the small sized campus that allows me to feel more like a part of the community rather than a number on a chart.

Paul

The University of Redlands, an oasis in the concrete jungle of Los Angeles. The most beautiful college campus I have ever seen. Combine the exceptional community, academics, small class sizes (largest class I've had was 35 people), variety of extracurricular activities, and accessible college town and Redlands is the only college I can see myself attending.

Alice

I dislike Redlands for many reasons. Students are forced onto an outrageously priced meal plan no matter whether they are staying on or off campus. For example, a hamburger and fries costs about $7 without a drink, and an icecream sandwich can net you $4-6. The campus is racist, with only minorities working the 'dirty' jobs such as ground crews, dish washers, and custodians, while only caucasians are a part of Public Safety. This has lead to minorities being kicked off of the public parts of campus just because they "appear sketchy" when the University is open to the public during the day. Finally, the University is outrageously priced (around $60k a year), and the financial aid office is uncaring as to how this affects you. If you accidentally go over your meal budget they are unwilling to try and find alternative ways to feed you, and will instead turn a blind eye while you eat nothing.

Julia

I really like this school. It has small class sizes that are perfect if you want a lot of attention from your professors. I had a professor my freshman year that had coffee and doughnuts every Tuesday so that if students had any questions about his class they could drop in and chat. It is a beautiful campus with an awesome location that is close to the beach, the mountains, Joshua Tree National Park, and the city. Besides all of that, the people here are fantastic. There is a wonderful sense of community on this campus that was unparalleled by any other school I visited.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

The library. You can find a quiet nook, a table by the windows, computer labs, collaborative learning spaces, the lounge full of other students studying, or outside study space. Whatever study environment you're looking for, you can find it at the library.

When you step off campus what do you see?

Immediately off campus you'll find student and family housing. Past that you'll find grocery stores, target, chain restaurants, local restaurants, the movie theatre, shopping, historical buildings, yoga studios, dance studios, rock climbing gyms etc. If you're willing to take a short drive then there are some incredible outdoor experiences to take advantage of. Big Bear Mountain is about 45 minutes away. There's great hiking, rock climbing, skiing, snow boarding and a lake!! Joshua Tree National Park is also about 45 minutes away. In Joshua Tree you'll find incredible rock climbing, back packing, hiking, camping and more. The beach is about an hour and a half away and L.A. is about an hour away (depending on the traffic).

Describe a day on campus you'll never forget.

There are too many of those days to count so I'll just tell you about the most recent one. Last Saturday I got off work around 11 am and went to the cafeteria for lunch. I ran into five of my friends and we sat down to eat. After lunch we decided to go to the soccer game. It was a beautiful day and the game was great. After the game we went to my dorm and made cookies. Then we went out to dinner in town, delicious!! When we got back on campus everyone was getting excited for the evening events so we got ready to go out. In the end, though, we were having so much fun we never left my friends house and ended up watching a movie and eating cookies. It was just one of those beautiful days when everyone was excited to be out and about and happy just to be with each other.

What do students complain about most?

The sprinkler system. It turns on at the worst times and it soaks the side walks. We have a lot of Environmental Studies students or people who are just passionate about environmental issues and we don't like to see the water wasted. Besides all that, we don't like getting soaked on our way home.

There are two separate stereotypes. One is that we have a lot of jocks and one is that we have a lot of hippies. That doesn't really make much sense, and neither of them are very true. I think that we're all a little bit of both and everything in between.

There are two separate stereotypes. One is that everyone is preppy, and the other is that everyone is a hippie.

Tell us about the sports scene on campus.

I'm not on one of our competitive sports teams so I can only give the outsiders opinion. Our sports teams are amazing. Of our 21 teams this year only 2 are ranked below 3rd place. Our women's softball team has won our conferance championship for the past 7 years. Last year our men's water polo team was ranked 1st in the nation for division three schools. I love going to athletic events. My favorite sport to go support is soccer. All of our teams have a lot of support because its a small school. You know someone on every sports team so you go out to support you friends!

Beautiful! You drive into campus on Colton Avenue and on either side of you'll see green grass and lots of palm trees. You wil also see a gorgeous view to your left of our Chapel and a back drop of snow peaked mountians (depending on the season). To your right you will see our Admissions building standing on top of a hill, overlooking the campus. Its breathtaking.

What are your classes like?

Small and personal. You really get one on one attention from your professors. The average class size is 18-22 students. My largest class this semester has about 20 students and my smalles has about 15. Most classes are discussion based students are very involved. Speaking of which, my class is starting now I have to go!!!

Nah. No stereotype is ever really accurate. One of the first things that I noticed when I visited this campus was that there was no "type." Everyone seemed to have their own style and sense of self. It was really refreshing after looking at a lot of liberal arts colleges that did seem to have a type. This one just seemed like everyone was doing their own thing and happy to be interacting with others doing something completely different.

I love it. Its a wonderful school filled with wonderful people, the academics are great, and the campus is beautiful. I really only have one complaint and that is simply that the sprinklers always turn on right when I'm walking by them. But there are far worse things that could happen. This is a great school!

There are so many activities and groups on campus that its hard to say. Most students are involved in 5 or 6 different organizations on campus, however, about 20% of our student body is involved in Greek life which is probably largest group.

Our bumper stickers currently say "Dare to be different, you'll fit right in." Its kind of cheesy but its very true. Everyone on campus is very unique in their interests, their beliefs, they way they look, dress and act. Its something I value about the U of R. The only underlying constant would be that most students are liberal. Its not true of everyone but it is true the vast majority.

Class sizes are small, about 18-22 students on average. It allows for a lot of face time with your professors. They really ask a lot of you because they know you personally and know what you're capable of. They are also willing to work with you and get you any help you need. So while the academics are challenging, we are given plenty of resources to make sure that the challenge can be met.

Allen

The MBA program has a diverse academic rigors in offering different types of programs from many of the top business schools. It's like Harvard MBA work but at only a third of the cost.

Study harder in high school. Learn to balance work and play time. The best thing about college is freedom, but do not over do it. Balance, balance is key. Find the balance between study time, date nights, movie nights, parties, and club gatherings. Study hard, make sure your GPA is above 3.5. Be proactive, network more, socialize, and DO INTERNSHIPS! The best thing about college is finding yourself, but find it faster.

The alumni network varies from campus to campus.

University of Redlands administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.