San Antonio, TX
University of the Incarnate Word

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend University of the Incarnate Word

Caira

One thing I should get out of the way: the University of the Incarnate Word is a private, non-profit university. If you’re anything like me and the words “private school” conjure up nightmares of crazy dollar signs, I hope I can assuage your fears. Trust me, cost was my initial (and only) consideration when I applied to colleges during my senior year of high school, and I initially only applied to UIW to appease my mother-like guidance counselor. However, while UIW does cost a pretty penny (about $17,000 per semester), their scholarship packages and financial aid awards offset the cost of attendance dramatically—and over 92% of their students qualify for and obtain institutional aid. I would have paid more per class if I had attended a local community college! When I received my acceptance letter from what would become my collegiate alma mater, I had no idea about what to expect. After doing what were probably the fastest math calculations of my life, I made the brash decision to attend without ever having set foot on campus. Three years, five months abroad, one degree and one fantastic ride later, I’m a proud alumnus of the University of the Incarnate Word. My college experience was absolutely fantastic, but like any life decision I wouldn't recommend freshmen to accept any college offer blindly, haha! So, what should prospective students expect in general? I've broken it down into four categories that every student should consider— A.C.E.S! Academics, Community/Extracurricular(s), and Sports. So, what’s UIW really like? [Academics] The University of the Incarnate Word is considered to be a major liberal arts institution that puts particular emphasis on and garners particular notoriety for its artistic programs. If you’re looking for cutting-edge STEM research that makes the news, this school may not be for you. Still, there are a lot of things that UIW does offer! If you’re looking for a specific area of study, chances are that UIW will have a degree plan for you. With eighty-nine undergraduate degree programs and various graduate programs, you’ll be hard-pressed to NOT find your desired area of study. We also have professionally –accredited pharmacy and optometry graduate programs. There are also a wide range of honor societies, with many opportunities to attend professional conferences. UIW is known as a liberal arts university, but it’s also known for its emphasis on international programs. If you have ever thought about studying abroad—this is the college to attend. We’ve got sister schools in 48 countries, and satellite campuses in Mexico City, Mexico; Heidelberg, Germany; and Guangzhou, China. I spent five months in Heidelberg, Germany, and even on a shoe-string budget (hey, I was the proverbial broke-college student!) I had amazing opportunities and experiences that have shaped my personal and professional life. At UIW I had nothing but quality faculty who were at the top of their game. While I was studying for my bachelor’s degree in International Relations, my academic adviser was a Fulbright Scholar, many of my professors were conducting on-going research outside of the U.S., and my “Terrorism and International Conflict” professor was a former U.S. Ambassador! Even when I was studying for my basic degree requirements like philosophy or college algebra, I had professors who were heavily involved in their fields of study and challenged me to become a more professional, well-rounded adult. Sometimes it would be stressful to perform academically at the level that was expected of students, but overall it made me better at my studies. The small class sizes (think 10-15 students per class, maybe 20 if it was packed) had many benefits, especially when it came to class instruction or applying for internships—all of my professors knew me and my capabilities, and were able to provide a more tailored academic instruction if I needed it. My professors were also able to provide me with insight into future career options as well as recommendation letters as I looked toward internships and graduate school. In the end, I completed two major internships while I was in school and graduated to a job overseas as a data processing specialist at a U.S. military base. I honestly don’t think that I could have been more professionally prepared, and I’m beyond grateful to have had such fantastic professors and mentors! [Community and Extracurricular(s)] Living on-campus at UIW is a viable option, and one I would highly recommend. You have your standard college dorms, but you also have the option to stay in stand-alone homes with full kitchens and dorms that more closely resemble modern high-rise apartments. Even though I eventually opted to attend UIW as a commuter student (I wanted to live with my pets, haha!), off-base housing with a roommate could be very affordable without sacrificing quality. Either way, there’s a feeling of community regardless of where you live while you pursue your education. Three words to describe the UIW Cardinal community: We. Are. Involved! Whether you’re interested in Greek Life, culture clubs, Honor Societies or specialty interest groups (WE HAVE A COMPETITIVE QUIDDITCH TEAM!), chances are you will find it at UIW. I was personally involved with our campus’ Amnesty International chapter, our Asian Culture Club, UIW’s Bollywood Dance Troupe, and the History Club. If by some rare chance there isn't a group that you’d like to join, it’s easy to start your own (provided that you enlist the help of a faculty adviser!) Even if you decide the club scene isn't for you, there are always campus events going on. Movie screenings, campus-sponsored parties, video game tournaments, friendly competitions, barbeques, culture days and international holiday celebrations—if you can think of it, it’s there! Generally speaking, UIW students are also heavily involved within the local community. As one of the five core values of UIW, volunteerism and community service is required of all students in order to graduate. Many students go to volunteer with organizations and community non-profits outside of school, but if you’d prefer to volunteer with fellow students the university hosts many events that focus on service. The largest by far is Meet the Mission, where students, faculty and staff form into groups and work with partner organizations to volunteer their services around the San Antonio community. And with that, it’s time to talk about the city itself! San Antonio, Texas is the less-expensive yet just as exciting version of Dallas with all of the arts, museums, and food scenes that Austin has to offer. There is always something to do on a week night or weekend, and it's always affordable-- even if you're like me and cost is the first thing you think of, haha! Catch the fever of Spurs Mania at the AT&T Center, eat dinner and enjoy awesome shopping at the San Antonio Riverwalk or Pearl Brewery, take in the sights and sounds of the historic buildings, museums and landmarks… San Antonio is a treasure trove of things to do. And if by chance you've had your fill of the Alamo City, San Antonio is only an hour from the state capitol of Austin, three hours away from the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico, and only four hours away from the glitz of Dallas. The UIW student community is phenomenal, and that awesome experience extends to the city itself! [Sports] Admittedly, out of the four categories UIW is probably weakest in sports culture. However, as a growing university we still take pride in our institution and our athletes. The University of the Incarnate Word has twenty-one varsity sports, with competitive sports staples such as men’s and women’s basketball, swimming, soccer and track as well as unique sports like synchronized swimming and fencing. In the Lone Star State our unofficial religion is football, and quite frankly UIW’s football team is good, but not great. Our school didn't even have a football team until 2008! Even so, we’re part of the NCAA Division I Southland Conference and aren't too shabby as a team. We may not have the most established college football programs or traditions, but we have plenty of school spirit, tailgates and free tickets to all sporting events for students to go around. And if you’re not looking to be a collegiate athlete, there are more than enough intramural sports and tournaments year-round to get you moving. Go Cardinals! At the end of the day, the University of the Incarnate Word was the institution for me. While its price tag can be intimidating (I think I actually let out a little shriek of terror when I realized the cost per semester, haha!), I’d really encourage prospective students to do some research and look at what kind of education and financial aid that UIW has to offer. Our sports programs may not have national brand recognition, but our academic programs, extracurricular activities and our community more than make up for that. Regardless of whatever institution suits your fancy, be sure to make an informed decision so you know what you’re getting into and make the best decision for you. I hope this review could give you a taste of what to expect at my alma mater, and I wish you nothing but the best as you begin this new chapter in your life!

The only thing I dislike is the parking. Other than that, the professors and students are very involved, and the class size is small which means more interaction with students as individuals. There are a lot of programs as well that many students can join, and the campus is very diverse. I love UIW, Go Cardinals!

Danshea

The University of the Incarnate Word is a special school. There are always people you can go to for help. There are nothing but smiles and intelligence at this college and what's better is that there are a variety of races settling at UIW. It's never a disappointing time and the professors are always there to help you. I recommend the University of the Incarnate Word to anyone who loves to interact with people and get involve with the school events. #CardinalPride

andrea

UIW is a great private school. The class sizes are small so it's easier to get into groups and it's easier to get to know a professor on an one-to-one basis. Professors do care about the students but they will not baby you; this is not high school. There are always events going on, so there's opportunities to do fun stuff. UIW is a beautiful campus but of course it's getting renovated because of how old it is. The name goes a long way, and they will also help out financially if need be.

Jahnavi

If you are doing a bachelor degree here, and planning to go to graduate school. I recommend getting your degree at a cheaper school. UIW is extremely expensive! For graduate programs it does a good job, but undergraduate studies here are not taken very seriously. The pharmacy school is amazing however, and the other professional programs are worth looking into.

Graduate student

Graduate student

As an undergrad and graduating graduate student, UIW is an expanding university and some issues need to be resolved. I do love the tranquility of the campus, the small class size, and how close you can be with professors and advisors.

Andrew

I'm not aware of any stereotypes, but that could be because of my small exposure.

I'm not involved with any and don't know of any.

Mostly adults above the age of 25, with careers.

Some classes are more difficult than others, but that's just the nature of things and one's particular aptitude.

Kimberly

My classmates at UIW are conflicted about their future and how to obtain/ create their goals.

"Every decision you make today will shape your life tomorrow." As a kid, it is easy to get caught up in the superficial part of going to college. Everything from sports, clubs, name brand, and size are factors that ultimately don't matter. I would say to myself, "you can get educated anywhere, but make sure you go to an institution that wants to invest in you as a person and your future contribution to the world."

The lack of enthusiasm and passion from my classmates is frustrating because I believe competition is necessary for growth.

Mark

I would have told myself to forget about pursuing music education as my degree plan. I have always enjoyed history and loved asia. I would have encouraged my much younger self to delve deeply in asian languages, history and research writing. To go and visit as many asian countries as I could. One day, my younger self could be able to teach students from the perspective of one who has studied and experienced the history and cultures first-hand.

My academic advisor and the other professors at the university really do care about their students. My studies have been tailored to the needs of my major and minor. The only thing that has held me back from realizing my full potential here has been the cost of studying here. I would have loved to study abroad during this term, but adequate money just isn't available for all of my expenses, even with the healthy SAP program we have here.

The school's library is very small. The budget for the on-campus library is less than what is needed for a research oriented school, especially since it is a private university. There is an extensive inter-campus loan program and e-loan system that is growing each semester. But students still must go to outside sources for their research.

Daniella

High school is the best years of your life. It's the time where you get the opportunity to find yourself and make your own decisions. Going into high school I had three older sisters who had already walked the halls before me and set the bar. They were ambitious, smart, beautiful, and talented. I did everything I could not to be like them and make my own name for myself rather then being know and their little sister. I messed up a lot, and got caught up in covering my mistakes. If I could go back and talk to myself I would say 'It's ok.' I had so much pressure to be just like them that everytime I messed up I was a dissapointment to my family that I was never able to get back up again. I would reassure myself that I was smart, I was talented, and I was beautiful. I would tell myself that a mistake does not define a person, but how they get back up and fight is what makes them a better person. I am a strong girl who just needed someone to have faith in me, and I do.

There are not a lot of activites or clubs to be involved in, so not someone who is relly looking for an exciting al the time campus.

University of the Incarnate Word administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.