University of the Incarnate Word Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for University of the Incarnate Word

Kristen

The University of the Incarnate Word is a great university that values its students. The school prepares you for greatness and makes sure its students have everything they need to succeed in life and in their future endeavors. Highly recommended university.

Leanna

I absolutely love being a student at Incarnate Word. It is family orientated and I met my closest friends at this university. There is a lot of opportunities to grow emotionally and socially! The few things I love about it here is that there is free therapy and I can talk to my professors.

Marissa

I love it ! It is a beautiful campus. There are so many shops and food places available to the students. You should see the campus during Christmas time it is the most beautiful thing ever! The class sizes are pretty big but you still get that small community feel and that is something I was looking for when applying to college.

Andrea

It’s a beautiful campus with lots of friendly people! The class sizes are kept pretty small so not only does your professor learn and remember your name and face, they greet and chat with you outide of class if they see you around campus. You also get to know everyone in your major because you take all your classes with them, even the intro classes! General core classes have a wider mix of majors but you still see them around campus and its nice to always see familiar faces. Since UIW is located at the heart of San Antonio, Texas, many of the students are of hispanic heritage. However, a variety of international students also attend the SATX campus, allowing students a unique cultural richness and experience. UIW is a great school that has started to feel like a second home.

Jahnavi

If you are doing a bachelor degree here, and planning to go to graduate school. I recommend getting your degree at a cheaper school. UIW is extremely expensive! For graduate programs it does a good job, but undergraduate studies here are not taken very seriously. The pharmacy school is amazing however, and the other professional programs are worth looking into.

Gisela

University of the Incarnate Word is a school located in central San Antonio. It is a small school and the classes are even smaller you can always count on running into someone. Attending a small university helps you make friends faster and allows you to have better communication with your professors.

Nina

My overall opinion about this University is that it is very open. People are very welcoming and if you are new here someone will take you under their wing and make you feel welcome. The students here interact with each other in and outside the class room. It's a great environment to study and learn in.

Madison

Incarnate Word is the definition of average. It's class sizes are relatively small, so a lot of personal relationships can be made. However, teachers are really picky on attendance, so it is personal preference as to what you are looking for. I am a transfer student, and I do not recommend this school as a transfer. They are terrible at working with you for substitutions, and are super unhelpful. They tell you your stuff will transfer as a ploy to get you to attend, and then once you are there, things don't transfer, and they don't help with substitutions. The food is horrible, but they are building a new university center, so hopefully it gets better. On-campus housing is average, but crazy expensive. For a single room, you pay over 1,000 a month for a shoebox sized room. They don't offer many apartment options on campus, and it would be more economically efficient to find a roommate, and just live off-campus. UIW's housing is usually too full anyway.

Julia

The University of the Incarnate Word is an outstanding, great, good, and wonderful school. They really do work with you to be successful. You can go and get tutoring services. Class sizes are small about up to 20 students or less. You also get the one on one with your professor and are available to assist you. It is such a great school.

Levi

Its a great place to go to school, but don't come here if you don't have a full scholarship. Money grabbers at every turn, and nothing is cheap. Still unsure as to how quality of an education this school is giving, but so far so good. School spirit for sports hasn't been a priority, and don't think that it will be. Party scene on campus is non-existent. Safe school to attend, very close to downtown and necessities.

The only thing I dislike is the parking. Other than that, the professors and students are very involved, and the class size is small which means more interaction with students as individuals. There are a lot of programs as well that many students can join, and the campus is very diverse. I love UIW, Go Cardinals!

Danshea

The University of the Incarnate Word is a special school. There are always people you can go to for help. There are nothing but smiles and intelligence at this college and what's better is that there are a variety of races settling at UIW. It's never a disappointing time and the professors are always there to help you. I recommend the University of the Incarnate Word to anyone who loves to interact with people and get involve with the school events. #CardinalPride

andrea

UIW is a great private school. The class sizes are small so it's easier to get into groups and it's easier to get to know a professor on an one-to-one basis. Professors do care about the students but they will not baby you; this is not high school. There are always events going on, so there's opportunities to do fun stuff. UIW is a beautiful campus but of course it's getting renovated because of how old it is. The name goes a long way, and they will also help out financially if need be.

Celina

This university is a great school! Our learning is always hands on and professors are always available on the time you need them. The classrooms aren't auditoriums. So if we ever have a question the professor is right there to hear and answer it. The school facilities are great and we have access to everything. There are always events happening in school and the groups who organized it always wants the students to participate and join the fun. What I love the most is every midterm or finals upcoming there are de-stressing activities to do in school.

mckenzie

Very helpful, excellent staff, and very happy to be attending. I have been accepted into their BSN program to earn my bachelors degree in nursing, the campus is huge with many beautiful locations to study, the artwork is exquisite, food options are readily available, and the overall ambiance of the university is very comfortable. The staff is extremely helpful when needing assistance.

Cindy

Although UIW was not my first option, I am glad I chose to stay here because it has felt like home since day one. I love the class size because you get to really know the professor and your classmates. Every staff member, professor, and student are very happy to help any student to be successful.

Savannah

The University of the Incarnate Word is a great school to be a part of. The class sizes are small so you are able to get to know your professor and classmates very easily. The tuition may be a little bit high but the school gives out scholarships and you are also able to apply for scholarships on your own. The campus is very clean and very friendly and I honestly wouldn't want to go anywhere else.

Xavier

Great; could have more scholarships opportunities for the arts. Also would like to get more bang for my buck but still a friendly and welcoming environment. The small class ratio can be both a good and bad thing depending on if there are enough people to make the class. Beautiful campus and always something going on. New Student engagement center.

Alassandra

I am a freshman at the University of the Incarnate Word. I live in the Dubuis residence hall, which is by far the worst as it is the oldest. There were raccoons and bugs during our first semester and we had to have people come and deal with that. There is also no elevator in this dorm. The other dorms are quite nice. The professors here are amazing and truly care about their students. Breakfast in the cafeteria is always great. The class sizes are small which makes for communicative classes. We get to ask questions in real time so it helps when we go over confusing topics.

As an undergrad and graduating graduate student, UIW is an expanding university and some issues need to be resolved. I do love the tranquility of the campus, the small class size, and how close you can be with professors and advisors.

Vivian

I like how small and cozy this campus is. There is a mix of urbanization due to all the shops and restaurants located nearby, but there is also a lot of nature to be found all around campus. Everyone is nice and willing to help you when you need it, including faculty and students. People really care about having a well-rounded education here; there are many majors to choose from as well as a plethora of clubs, organizations, and internship opportunities for networking and experience.

Giselle

it's a very fun, safe place and I love the one on one my professors give the students. there are so many organizations and they care about the students finishing school and being successful so if you don't pay on time you will not be dropped from any classes.

Tehua

My overall opinion of the University of the Incarnate Word would be sum up in the following words: friendly, small, helpful, and multi-cultural. Before attending Incarnate Word, I attended a public university as well as a community college. In comparison to the two, the University of the Incarnate Word is the best school I have attended thus far. Anyone you meet on campus, you are bound to make a friend. The classroom sizes are small, ranging between 25-35 students a class, and this helps me as a student because I am able to personally have some time with the professor when I am in need of help. The faculty are always helpful and readily available to assist us with any questions we might have. The University of the Incarnate Word is also very multi-cultural and often has events in which I am able to appreciate cultures from around the world.

Geneva

UIW is a wonderful, rich and diverse campus with amazing professors and open minded students. Professors encourage and open discussion of timely topics be it political or otherwise, and no one looks down on other students for their opinions. I have never witnessed any form of discrimination towards any student considering we have students some so many different countries. Everyone on campus, including staff, is open and willing to learn something they never knew. People recognize a difference of opinion, ideas and practices and we as a student body embrace all of them. Being in San Antonio with the city having a rich and diverse history all its own, on campus we acknowledge the differences but never treat anyone poorly. UIW is a wonderful campus, full of remarkable and invigorating individuals who, without them, would not be anything close to what we currently have. The environment is welcoming, like a long-time friend.

Roy

Best private institution in Texas. Everything about Incarnate Word fulfills my passions to strive for educational excellence. This really exceeded my expectations. They offer many different types of sports that carry the pride for the university. They have the best class size with excellent professor communication.

Jacqueline

Amazing campus with history and phenomenal professors who really care about you. This was my first choice university & the opportunities I’ve received through the only pharmacy school in Texas (Feik) have given me a competitive edge in my application for medical school (UIWSOM and others).

Marino

Great school with an even better environment.

Jose

The university of the Incarnate Word is a great place of high education. The curriculum is challenging but is taught in a way where you and everyone around you excels. The students and faculty are very kind and welcoming. they really make you feel welcomed and apart of a family when you are on campus.

Bethany

UIW feels like home. There are activities available constantly so students have something to do. There are many clubs so you can find where you belong, which I have. Making friends is easy and you know the friends you do make will always be there for you. I enjoy my classes, they challenge me in a good way and the campus is beautiful. I enjoy this school very much.

Robert

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the University of the Incarnate Word. It is a wonderful environment that encourages learning through rigorous academics and small class sizes. If I were to complain about any one thing, though, it would be the fact that the school spends too much money on sports, something that isn't even very important to the school's image. Most people would agree that the school is well known for its academics, not its athletic prowess; and yet, the school still sees fit to pour large amounts of money into projects for athletics that could be of much better use in a classroom setting.

Alexandria

I loved UIW. It was a grey place to meet new people and learn at the same time. It was not a huge party school which I really liked because it allowed me to stay focused on my studies and the professors really cared about their students. The professors are able to answer any of your questions day or night and if you cannot make the office hours they are always open to meeting you when you are free. There are so many opportunities on campus that people are bound to find something they love to do outside of the classroom. The facilities at UIW are amazing and they are beginning to build new buildings or renovate older buildings in order for the campus to look new and fresh. The students are very friendly and there was never a time I felt intimidated by others in the classroom because we all knew we were in it together and helped it each other out.

Bryanna

I absolutely love UIW, i found it to be an outstanding university not only with academics but with social encounters. Everyone there is extremely friendly and are always helpful. UIW was definitely not my first choice in a university but attending here was by far the best decision i have ever made in my life. I don't think any other university even compares. The professors are always looking for reasons to help, the Tutoring center in the AD building is extremely helpful. Extra curricular activities are always the best. The campus is a perfect fit for me.

Ariana

Overall, The University of the Incarnate Word is an outstanding school. The entire environment makes you feel right at home. Academics play a major role to the entire campus as well as the extracurricular activities. Everyone is very friendly and very helpful.

Jazmin

I really love this school there students on campus are very nice and the academics come first the professors are involved with all their students they are very understanding with personal problems and if you are having trouble with something in class the professor will definitely help you out of class and since the class size is small the professors will know who you are instantly. The campus is beautiful the is so much nature outside and the history of the school is such a great story.

Robin

OMG I can go on and on how great my campus is....but when u attend UIW there is no need for words when actions spaek louder than anything and the actions are fun , exciting, new, beautiful,crazy,livid, hyper and most of all everlating. UIW is actions and more OMG

Nina

My overall opinion of University of the Incarnate Word is it has a great atmosphere you always feel safe when on campus.The staff and professors are very nice and willing to help.The student life is very active and engaged and there's friendly faces all around,UIW is a great and beautiful campus.

Sierra

I am very thankful for The University of the Incarnate Word because it was the only local university in San Antonio that offers my major, music therapy. There are only 6 accredited schools in the state of Texas that offer it but they were either way too expensive or way too far away from home. I was going to settle with attending a university that wasn't meant for me, that was until I came across University of the Incarnate Word. I only knew a handful of people who attended UIW but I did research myself and I knew that this is the school I wanted to attend. The music therapy program is unlike any other program and I am blessed to be a part of it and be receiving the opportunities I do currently with the program. I have learned so many things but the wonderful staff and I can't wait to see the progress I will continue to make.

Marissa

This is a great and safe campus. Although it is a big campus it still gives that small campus feel that makes you feel right at home. I love it here. There are so many shops around campus. And the campus is most beautiful during the Christmas time.

Katherine

I think the faculty, staff, and students make the atmosphere here at the university super friendly. There's never a time where I feel uncomfortable to approach anyone or to be in school. I look forward to going to class everyday because of how positive the environment is there and how supportive we all are of each other.

Madelaine

I very much enjoy the university, the small class sizes with personable professors make it easy to learn and to want to attend class. The advisors are very helpful in personalizing your degree plan to meet your schedule and needs. The smaller university size allows for people to get to know one another more easily, and to become involved. Overall a wonderful place to attend.

Cristen

University of the Incarnate Word is a very diverse university which is something that can be appreciated by many. The diversity and small size makes living on campus an amazing experience because you are constantly introduces to new cultures. Along with the students that you can learn from, the teachers are also amazing. The student teacher ration is 14:1 which makes it very easy to get to know the professors and seek help. At the university, I always feel like everyone is here to watch my success and help me achieve all my academic goals.

Benjamin

Incarnate Word is a great school. Expensive but classes sizes and access to professors makes it worth it. Campus dining leaves much to be desired but reason additions have added several new options. Also located in a great location in San Antonio. Located near downtown so students can easily attend downtown events.

jamie

The university of the incanrate ward is a very beautful campus, its comfortable and makes you feel like your welcomed. The teachers are very nice from what ive experienced and very helpful and they want you to learn the best way you can and are very available.

Academically I think this school has an incredible classroom environment. Despite being located mid south of Texas, there is a racially and politically diverse student population. The relationship between students and instructors is unmatched due to the average class size,and the ease of communication is refreshing . Most of the students i have spoken to are very rarely stressed due to"typical" college student problems,but rather the financial responsibilities and strain that accompany just about any private university.

amazing and a great campus to send student to learn. It provides a great sense of pride to the community and has been a great experience in seeing the student life. it is very heavily spiritual which brings a sense of pride in religion among the students and visitors. it is an honor.

Madison

Overall I love my university. Could parking be better? Definitely! Could housing for upperclassmen (sophomores and above at UIW) be better? Yes, there definitely isn't enough. The dining options are decent, there isn't a huge amount but they are decent quality but be prepared to pay a lot if you don't have dining dollars. Besides all of that I love my classes, the options are great. I've only had a handful of professors in 3 years that I did not like and for the most part professors here are super easy to get ahold of. Class sizes are small so you really get to know your professors and ask questions and get help when you need it. Overall UIW is a great school and I love going here!

Caira

One thing I should get out of the way: the University of the Incarnate Word is a private, non-profit university. If you’re anything like me and the words “private school” conjure up nightmares of crazy dollar signs, I hope I can assuage your fears. Trust me, cost was my initial (and only) consideration when I applied to colleges during my senior year of high school, and I initially only applied to UIW to appease my mother-like guidance counselor. However, while UIW does cost a pretty penny (about $17,000 per semester), their scholarship packages and financial aid awards offset the cost of attendance dramatically—and over 92% of their students qualify for and obtain institutional aid. I would have paid more per class if I had attended a local community college! When I received my acceptance letter from what would become my collegiate alma mater, I had no idea about what to expect. After doing what were probably the fastest math calculations of my life, I made the brash decision to attend without ever having set foot on campus. Three years, five months abroad, one degree and one fantastic ride later, I’m a proud alumnus of the University of the Incarnate Word. My college experience was absolutely fantastic, but like any life decision I wouldn't recommend freshmen to accept any college offer blindly, haha! So, what should prospective students expect in general? I've broken it down into four categories that every student should consider— A.C.E.S! Academics, Community/Extracurricular(s), and Sports. So, what’s UIW really like? [Academics] The University of the Incarnate Word is considered to be a major liberal arts institution that puts particular emphasis on and garners particular notoriety for its artistic programs. If you’re looking for cutting-edge STEM research that makes the news, this school may not be for you. Still, there are a lot of things that UIW does offer! If you’re looking for a specific area of study, chances are that UIW will have a degree plan for you. With eighty-nine undergraduate degree programs and various graduate programs, you’ll be hard-pressed to NOT find your desired area of study. We also have professionally –accredited pharmacy and optometry graduate programs. There are also a wide range of honor societies, with many opportunities to attend professional conferences. UIW is known as a liberal arts university, but it’s also known for its emphasis on international programs. If you have ever thought about studying abroad—this is the college to attend. We’ve got sister schools in 48 countries, and satellite campuses in Mexico City, Mexico; Heidelberg, Germany; and Guangzhou, China. I spent five months in Heidelberg, Germany, and even on a shoe-string budget (hey, I was the proverbial broke-college student!) I had amazing opportunities and experiences that have shaped my personal and professional life. At UIW I had nothing but quality faculty who were at the top of their game. While I was studying for my bachelor’s degree in International Relations, my academic adviser was a Fulbright Scholar, many of my professors were conducting on-going research outside of the U.S., and my “Terrorism and International Conflict” professor was a former U.S. Ambassador! Even when I was studying for my basic degree requirements like philosophy or college algebra, I had professors who were heavily involved in their fields of study and challenged me to become a more professional, well-rounded adult. Sometimes it would be stressful to perform academically at the level that was expected of students, but overall it made me better at my studies. The small class sizes (think 10-15 students per class, maybe 20 if it was packed) had many benefits, especially when it came to class instruction or applying for internships—all of my professors knew me and my capabilities, and were able to provide a more tailored academic instruction if I needed it. My professors were also able to provide me with insight into future career options as well as recommendation letters as I looked toward internships and graduate school. In the end, I completed two major internships while I was in school and graduated to a job overseas as a data processing specialist at a U.S. military base. I honestly don’t think that I could have been more professionally prepared, and I’m beyond grateful to have had such fantastic professors and mentors! [Community and Extracurricular(s)] Living on-campus at UIW is a viable option, and one I would highly recommend. You have your standard college dorms, but you also have the option to stay in stand-alone homes with full kitchens and dorms that more closely resemble modern high-rise apartments. Even though I eventually opted to attend UIW as a commuter student (I wanted to live with my pets, haha!), off-base housing with a roommate could be very affordable without sacrificing quality. Either way, there’s a feeling of community regardless of where you live while you pursue your education. Three words to describe the UIW Cardinal community: We. Are. Involved! Whether you’re interested in Greek Life, culture clubs, Honor Societies or specialty interest groups (WE HAVE A COMPETITIVE QUIDDITCH TEAM!), chances are you will find it at UIW. I was personally involved with our campus’ Amnesty International chapter, our Asian Culture Club, UIW’s Bollywood Dance Troupe, and the History Club. If by some rare chance there isn't a group that you’d like to join, it’s easy to start your own (provided that you enlist the help of a faculty adviser!) Even if you decide the club scene isn't for you, there are always campus events going on. Movie screenings, campus-sponsored parties, video game tournaments, friendly competitions, barbeques, culture days and international holiday celebrations—if you can think of it, it’s there! Generally speaking, UIW students are also heavily involved within the local community. As one of the five core values of UIW, volunteerism and community service is required of all students in order to graduate. Many students go to volunteer with organizations and community non-profits outside of school, but if you’d prefer to volunteer with fellow students the university hosts many events that focus on service. The largest by far is Meet the Mission, where students, faculty and staff form into groups and work with partner organizations to volunteer their services around the San Antonio community. And with that, it’s time to talk about the city itself! San Antonio, Texas is the less-expensive yet just as exciting version of Dallas with all of the arts, museums, and food scenes that Austin has to offer. There is always something to do on a week night or weekend, and it's always affordable-- even if you're like me and cost is the first thing you think of, haha! Catch the fever of Spurs Mania at the AT&T Center, eat dinner and enjoy awesome shopping at the San Antonio Riverwalk or Pearl Brewery, take in the sights and sounds of the historic buildings, museums and landmarks… San Antonio is a treasure trove of things to do. And if by chance you've had your fill of the Alamo City, San Antonio is only an hour from the state capitol of Austin, three hours away from the beaches of the Gulf of Mexico, and only four hours away from the glitz of Dallas. The UIW student community is phenomenal, and that awesome experience extends to the city itself! [Sports] Admittedly, out of the four categories UIW is probably weakest in sports culture. However, as a growing university we still take pride in our institution and our athletes. The University of the Incarnate Word has twenty-one varsity sports, with competitive sports staples such as men’s and women’s basketball, swimming, soccer and track as well as unique sports like synchronized swimming and fencing. In the Lone Star State our unofficial religion is football, and quite frankly UIW’s football team is good, but not great. Our school didn't even have a football team until 2008! Even so, we’re part of the NCAA Division I Southland Conference and aren't too shabby as a team. We may not have the most established college football programs or traditions, but we have plenty of school spirit, tailgates and free tickets to all sporting events for students to go around. And if you’re not looking to be a collegiate athlete, there are more than enough intramural sports and tournaments year-round to get you moving. Go Cardinals! At the end of the day, the University of the Incarnate Word was the institution for me. While its price tag can be intimidating (I think I actually let out a little shriek of terror when I realized the cost per semester, haha!), I’d really encourage prospective students to do some research and look at what kind of education and financial aid that UIW has to offer. Our sports programs may not have national brand recognition, but our academic programs, extracurricular activities and our community more than make up for that. Regardless of whatever institution suits your fancy, be sure to make an informed decision so you know what you’re getting into and make the best decision for you. I hope this review could give you a taste of what to expect at my alma mater, and I wish you nothing but the best as you begin this new chapter in your life!

Tori

I feel that this campus is one of the most beautiful campuses to be able to attend regularly; the facilities are almost all new or brand new, and most of the old buildings are being renovated. The faculty is very kindhearted and helpful, and the classes always have intelligent discussions over all of our topics, but always make sure to include current events into the lesson plans. I really enjoy attending this university and would recommend anyone willing to come and see this amazing school.