University of Utah

« See more reviews of University of Utah

There is a distinct lack of interdepartmental cooperation or assistance. Students in the dance department are often unaware of performances or classes in the music or theatre departments and vice versa. This holds true for other colleges as well. The main cause of this is the university's system of apportioning money to the departments based on how many students they have in their classes. It would help build community and allow students to meet more people outside their department if we were encouraged to take classes related to our majors in other departments.

The cost of tuition can be monumental along with books and the many other resources needed for your college courses. Students need a lot of money to pay for school. The reason why this is the biggest disadvantage to college is because students do not have much job experience and the jobs available to them do not pay enough to carry a student through year of college. Students must save large amounts of money beforehand and study hard in high school to have the resourses and the scholarship oppurtunities before they start taking college courses.

I have to say the worst thing is that there aren't enough scholarships for transfer students!!!! Also I don't understand why there aren't scholarships for regular people: good student who work just as hard as everyone else with an average GPA...no you have to be a minority or have a 4.0, or your test scores have to be off the charts!!! Why are there so many requirements...or should I say rescrictions! I just want college to be a fun adventure without having to worrying about money, college is stressful enough as it is!!!!!!!

The worst thing about my school is perhaps the shuttle system, especially in the winter. They are fairly old buses and tend to break down. When they break down, there it pushes back the entire schedule by half an hour. This causes students to be late for class or work. Also, when the shuttles do run late, they tend to speed, which is fine, but the buses do not feel safe when going up hills or taking sharp turns at high speeds. I think they could invest more money in good, safe shuttles that feel more like public buses.

The worst thing about it is that there are teachers here whom I feel are unqualified for their positions. I had one class last semester where it was the very first semester that this teacher had ever taught before and you could totally tell. There were times when she got flustered and paused for long periods of time to think about what she was going to say. She also would use the same examples about how to apply what she would teach over and over again. Teachers should come in prepared to teach their respected classes.

I believe I would have felt more enriched by being part of a diverse community. Instead, a large and noticeable portion of the students had the same beliefs, values, race, and political stances, which directly correlated to their lack of the concepts of equality and tolerance. At times, wandering the campus reminded me of a high school cafeteria. However, the professors were largely neutral and fair when it came to discussing controversial topics, challenging both sides of a debate.

A lot of students live with their families. Because the University of Utah is a big commuter school, it is hard to get people to participate in evening clubs or activities. Many students live at home and have to catch Trax or the bus to get home, so they are committed to those schedules, so they like to get home ASAP, especially if it takes an hour to get there. These students would choose to stay later to participate in school or program organizations if they lived closer.

The emphasis on research amongst the faculty leads to many high-profile professors, but in turn leads to many "important" classes where the professors don't seem to give it their all. Research has a higher premium, so occasionally teaching gets put on the backseat and education suffers as a result. This makes it especially difficult in classes that have a lot of students but an emphasis more on showing how much the professor knows than actually teaching it to the students.

I haven't been attending the University of Utah for very long, but I'd say the worst thing I've noticed so far is the size of the school. There are many buildings and loads and loads of people. Which means that you hand in a paper for your financial aid in the basement of one building, then you have to hike 1000 yards to get your financial reciept on the top floor of another building. All in all it's really not that much of a problem but I have noticed it being a hassle.

The worst thing about my school are the large class sizes. There are sometimes over 300 students in the classes, and it can be hard to learn effectively and comprehend what the professor says. Some students are shy and are afraid to raise their hand and ask questions in such a large group. It is also hard to get to know your teacher and have your teacher get to know you, which can be essential when applying for medical programs or graduate schools.