University of Washington-Seattle Campus

« See more reviews of University of Washington-Seattle Campus

The English department has this requirements list that you have to meet to graduate from that department. While this is fine (and necessary), it's so silly to force students to take so many credits outside their major (90 credits). Being well-rounded is one thing, but I would rather be really focused and educated in my chosen field than take random natural world credits that don't allow me to delve very deeply into anything. Also, you have to take so many non-literature classes (theories and methodologies, criticism, blah blah) and most teachers in the English department do not have the faintest clue how to teach these subjects. As a result, I've taken a lot of BS theory classes at the expense of literature classes. Getting through the English major without reading ANY Faulkner, Hemingway, Conrad, Austen, Camus, Hawthorne, Melville (and on and on) ought to be criminal! In their place, I've developed a strong distaste for Barthes, Miller, Bahktin, and other long-winded and esoteric theorists!

Hello campus, my old friend I've come to walk on you again The bricks of Odegaard always keeping Bums and undergrads, they're all sleeping In the morning; coffee ain't yet reached their brains And it rains It's time to study science Reading pages I turned alone Outside Red Square of bricks (not stone) On which slept someone, a city tramp I turned my Northface to the cold and damp When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of fluorescent light Library bright It's time to study science And in the blaring light I saw Three hundred students, maybe more People looking without reading People reading without learning People learning words that died right in the air But no one cared 'Twas time to study science "Fools", said I, "You do not know College, life, it's all a show O. chem profs, they might try teach you Things you'll never need, forget you knew" But my words, like silent raindrops fell And echoed In the wells of science

This UW is like a small city within a city. It has that sort of impersonal vibe, usually, when you're walking through crowds on campus. Despite that, I really enjoy going to school here and I'm glad that I ultimately decided against some of the out-of-state-schools I was accepted at. One of the big perks of life on campus is the flora and fauna (it's always fun to stop for a second on the way to class and watch a squirrel try to eat an apple core that's nearly as large as him); this is a beautiful setting. As an undergrad student, you will probably feel that your only purpose at UW is to pay tuition as you are being herded through the system; it is the grad students who receive most of the support and attention. But once you get used to it, and enroll in higher level classes, you'll discover that what you think matters, too. Ultimately, I recommend the UW to students who want to achieve something, anything at all...

The University of Washington is a unique campus in that it really strives to promote diversity among its population. There are a variety of campus organizations, tutoring opportunities, events, advising, etc., that adhere to the diversity population on campus. Diversity is something that all departments at the University of Washington strive to improve on; not only diversity of race and ethnicity but all diversity in sexual orientation, gender, religion, and experience. The accumulation of these diverse people on one campus is something that allows my college experience to be more informative and worthwhile.

University of Washington is located a short bus ride away from the city of Seattle, providing a unique urban experience, while also have a large campus of its own separate from the city itself. The medical school, which I hope to attend after obtaining my undergraduate degree, at the University of Washington is consistently ranked in the upper echelon in its category. Furthermore, the school is extremely well-rounded, offering several possible areas of study for individuals who have not decided on a specific major, unlike many other schools I considered, which are extremely strong in one or two categories.

I began with a list of criteria that was necessary in my pursuit of a university to attend. The list included: within my state of residency (for financial reasons), a reputable school of engineering (my field of study), a campus that I felt fit my lifestyle and personality, and after meeting the basic criteria... the university that appeared to hold the highest regard and reputation. The latter part I researched through multiple websites and discussions with those I knew familiar to academia. The number one choice given this assessment was overwhelmingly the University of Washington.

At the University of Washington, whatever it is that you want to pursue, there are numerous opportunities for you to explore that path. The unversity knows how important it is for students to get experience in the fields that they are passionate about and provide students with different possibilities and resources, such as internships, volunteering, or clubs related to the students' career interests. The university wants to set up their students for success, all the students have to do is have the drive to want it and the University of Washington will help get you there.

I believe that the University of Washington can help continue that process through core biblical teaching, leadership, activities and council. I also believe that I can contribute to the campus through my life experiences. I have learned a lot from my own experiences and from the experiences of others. I believe that the lessons that I have learned in my life over the course of the past 23 years can hold valuable lessons for others just like myself. I look forward to the opportunity to live and study in the vibrant community that University of Washington has to offer.

It's one of the few major research universities on the West Coast. Being in the middle of Seattle, it offers tremendous access to everything from night life to sports to hiking and skiing to cultural events. It also means that jobs are easy to find in any field. Housing varies from the very cheap to the very expensive. The campus is architecturally grand and has an incredible variety of trees and plant life. With more than 40,000 students (26,000 undergraduates), there are hundreds of registered organizations, and nearly every interest can be met here.

University of Washington offers not only a great education but it offers students diversity, leadership, scholarship, fellowship opportunities and etc. Students usually fear not having a place to belong once entering college but at the U, everyone has at least one group that fits their personality and speaks to who they are. It offers each student a place to call home. Also, the professors are all amazing at teaching and there is a class for every single subject a student could want. All in all, UW in my opinion is a wonderful university.